Start by marking “Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free” as Want to Read:
Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free

Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The editors of "The Hell with Love" are back, applying their irreverent view of life and love to help melt the hardest heart. For anyone who's been let down by life and love, these poems reveal that the most important person one can fall in love with is oneself.
Published January 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Off

Fancee
Dec 28, 2008 Fancee rated it it was amazing
While cleaning the poetry section of the store on Christmas Eve, I found this little book with two of those candy hearts with the messages on them on both the cover and down the spine. I felt pretty certain that it was yet another collection of love poems until I noted that the two hearts on the cover said “KISS OFF” smiling at the irony of it all, it thumbed through the pages. Turns out, this book, “Kiss off: Poems to Set You Free” is a montage of poems and short essays that that you through th ...more
LemontreeLime
Sep 03, 2012 LemontreeLime rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Nice collection. A plus for me is how the poem authors names are in a different colored ink that's slightly harder to make out, so as i read the poem I don't know immediately who wrote it until AFTER i've finished reading it... which is just enough to put the 'ENGLISH MAJOR' lurking in the back of brain to sleep before it starts spouting dogma. For example, reading the poem 'the Blessing' without knowing who wrote it made the description of meeting ponies in a pasture magical but then finding ou ...more
Jessica Scott
Jul 07, 2014 Jessica Scott rated it it was amazing
Loved this. There are some really great poems in this collection. There are some funny ones and beautiful ones. There's definitely something for everyone in this collection.
Karen Barsamian
May 19, 2015 Karen Barsamian rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the best book to read after a breakup. Goes well with a pint of ice cream.
Jordan
Feb 09, 2014 Jordan rated it it was ok
I liked the poems but the introductions to each chapter were too long.
Liz
May 07, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic collection of poetry from various poets throughout the ages. The poems are divided into different sections: hurting, hiding, reeling, dealing, healing, and believing.

These poems can help you from the time when things fall apart to when you’re ready to deal with the world again. Some are elegant, like William Butler Yeats’ The Second Coming (“things fall apart, the centre cannot hold”). Still, some are a bit more to the point, such as Deborah Garrison’s Fight Song (“Sometimes
Gina
Jan 06, 2009 Gina rated it liked it
I don't normally read much poetry, so I can't really comment on the quality of the poems, but there were a few that didn't seem to me to fit in the section they were put in. I really like the concept of this book, the way the editors sorted the poems to help put them in an overall context, and I enjoyed most of their introductory commentary at the beginning of each section. I also found a couple of poems that I really liked and one I loved, so that's worth reading the whole book for to me.
Lindsay
Feb 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Many of these poems aren't that great. I wasn't really expecting them to be. But this anthology includes a lot of amazing poets like national Poet Laureate (2001-2003), Billy Collins and Nobel Prize Winner, Derek Walcott (1992). It's kind of a mixed bag, but I like it. I didn't think I'd find anything good in a poetry anthology with conversation hearts on the cover, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Kerrikoala
Apr 12, 2014 Kerrikoala rated it really liked it
The poems were okay, but what I really liked were the introductions to each section. The ladies who put this compilation together seemed to know just what I was thinking and feeling when I was reading it, which was freaky and comforting at the same time.

5 stars for the introductions.
3 stars for the poems.
Jessica
Aug 02, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
A cute little poetry anthology for when you're down and then rise up. Not sure of intended audience-- seems at times literary, and the poets selected are good 'uns, then it quips into Britney Spears cutesy mode. The explanation/ self help intros are pretty accurate, if not a little simplified.
Brianna
Feb 04, 2013 Brianna rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I definitely enjoyed this book. Just like "Drive Me Crazy " it has those wonderful section dividers that talk about the poems in the section and why they fit that stage. Lots of fun to read, and it introduced me to some poets I wouldn't have picked up on my own.
Jana
Jun 07, 2011 Jana rated it it was amazing
This is a small book of poems that at first didn't strike me as much but as I read them many of them started speaking to me.

They are poems for women about female experiences but they speak as well to anyone.
Good read.
Marisa
Sep 05, 2010 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Wonderful! So many gems in this second compilation. Can't wait to buy their third book...
Agnes Regula
Agnes Regula rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Lam
Lam marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Atlas
Atlas added it
Apr 23, 2016
ana
ana marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Apr 09, 2016
Voiceofmadness
Voiceofmadness marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kayla
Kayla added it
Mar 27, 2016
Lacey
Lacey rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Jessica Melara
Jessica Melara marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Colleen Eberlin
Colleen Eberlin rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Anna Guzman
Anna Guzman marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Halle
Halle marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Betsy Rose
Betsy Rose rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
  • The Conference of the Birds
  • Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle
  • Love and Other Small Wars
  • Mother Said
  • The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits, #1)