Freedom and Neurobiology: Reflections on Free Will, Language, and Political Power (Columbia Themes in Philosophy)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  10 reviews
With an essay demonstrating how different conceptions of free will have different consequences for the neurobiology of consciousness, this book proposes that it is possible that we might find a neurobiological resolution to the problem of free will.
Published November 17th 2006 by Columbia University Press (first published 2006)

Jafar
I read another book by John Searle in which he was mainly trying to prove that both dualism and materialism are wrong when it comes to explaining consciousness. He repeats the same line here a few times. Now I can’t remember at all how he tried to prove that point in his earlier book. So much for all these books that I read. How can both dualism and materialism be wrong? But anyway... this is a nice little book on the age-old question of freedom of will. Searle doesn’t attempt to solve the probl...more
Kayson Fakhar
بدرد فلسفه پرستایی میخوره که میخوان حالا با نوروساینسم دو جمله شوآف کنن
Alan
Mar 26, 2008 Alan is currently reading it
The last century has seen a radical shift in philosophy, basically stemming from the realization that philosophy has been radically outpaced by science and everything else. So a century of work has gone into trying to correct the unchecked assumptions that have been growing since Plato. This is the most insecure century of thought. Don't bother with it, just jump ahead to Searle, Neurobiology and Linguistics.
Deniz Cem Önduygu
Classic Searle, reasoning through nothing but plain common sense, and dismissing fruitful (and possibly accurate) ideas/theories on the basis that they are "intellectually very unsatisfying" (p. 62), or "literally incredible" (p. 77).

The most obvious and even fun case is on pages 45–46 where he literally uses his nemesis Dennett's heterophenomenology approach ("Granted that we have the experience of freedom, is that experience valid or is it illusory?"), only to discard the illusion answer as it...more
Ed Brown
This is a short book created from lectures. It is easy to read and asks the important question "How do we fit in?" Searle accepts the dominant determinist view of the world as described by science, but insists that we take seriously our intuitive sense of being free. His effort to square the circle was, in the end, unconvincing to me. I won't go into it. What makes this book worth reading is his serious effort to bring freedom and neuroscience into a discourse. It is worth reading.
E. Michael
Let's differentiate animal and human will, for a moment. Human beings aren't simply social animals - we can no longer say we're the only ones - we are political animals. Searle, in a sometimes frustratingly repetitive way (many would say I explain things the same way), argues that without the fundamental promises we accept from our government(s), the many-featured promise that undergirds the institutions of, for instance, law, money, and marriage, we simply agree to be willing subjects of state-...more
Truman Bullard
A very challenging book - even for a former Philosophy major - but
the writing style and the approach to the role Philosophy must take
in our day were both engaging and deeply reasoned.
Nada
Not one of his best works. The Rediscovery of the Mind is much better. I don't think he solved the problem of freewill, but he was definitely right on the presumption part.
Katherine
Jul 03, 2008 Katherine marked it as to-read
I never took John Searle seriously because I only knew him from Limited Inc., where Derrida rips him a new one about the whole speech acts thing. This book sounds awesome.
Tyler
Searle's ideas reminded me a little bit of Jiddu Krishnamurti. They are both pretty tough-minded when it comes to dealing with the facts of neuroscience.
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Chia-An Liu
Chia-An Liu marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Gordon Bermant
Gordon Bermant is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2014
Sarai
Sarai marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Sébastien
Sébastien marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Braden
Braden marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Mintea. Scurtă introducere în filosofia minţii The Construction of Social Reality Razones Para Actuar. Una Teoría del Libre Albedrío (Colección Jovellanos de Ensayo) The Rediscovery of the Mind (Representation and Mind) Philosophy in a New Century