Start by marking “Class Matters: Cross-Class Alliance Building for Middle-Class Activists” as Want to Read:
Class Matters: Cross-Class Alliance Building for Middle-Class Activists

Class Matters: Cross-Class Alliance Building for Middle-Class Activists

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Movements for social change could be more powerful if they had more class diversity—a factor that has limited their past size and clout. But attempting to cross class barriers has frequently left middle-class activists frustrated, with few resources to turn to for help.

Based on interviews with 40 diverse activists and thinkers, Class Matters fills this gap by demystifying
Published April 1st 2005 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Class Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Class Matters

Lauren
It took me a while to get through this book, as it's a series of stories and quotes from class activists rather than one longer narrative. Regardless, I found that it raised many important issues I hadn't before considered around issues of class. Much like with issues around race, it isn't helpful to try and be "class-blind." The class we were raised in has a profound effect on the way we see the world - it's worth constantly investigating how class informs our choices, and there is real educati ...more
Ariel
Jul 28, 2008 Ariel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ariel by: David
Betsy Leondar-Wright compiles a useful list of short editorials, fact boxes, interviews, and book excerpts on cross-class organizing. This book says it's for middle-class activists, but I didn't feel excluded at all! (My family is working-class, but not poor, and I'm training for a middle-class career as an academic.)

Pluses:

What a useful book! (I can't say that for a lot of what I read in school, so I read Class Matters while procrastinated on my "assigned" readings.) This book gave me lots of
Anita
Feb 13, 2009 Anita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: race
The book had some keen insights about Class-- which I have included in a short lecture series I am doing at the Vineyard Church. It had an "activists" audience which did not resonate with me (although i am speaking at City Council meetings more than I ever thought :). I didn't love the layout of the book -- it read choppy and it was very experiential-- although fine-- just not my style.

Shoshanna
This is a great book for thinking about organizing across racial divides. Highlights alot of thinking comes up in much of my own organizing experiences and sheds some light on how to move forward.
Pam
This is one of the books that lives in my bathroom. It has a lot of interesting insights, and is easy to ready in tiny bits (and maybe hard to read straight through, at least, apparently, for me)
Dayspring
Haven't read it cover to cover but from what I've read so far, it's a great resource and collection of narratives from activists ranging in identities and class backgrounds.
sawyer
Jun 14, 2007 sawyer added it
i read this with a bunch of friends/acquaintances in my community and we met weekly to discuss it. a useful tool and very readable book.
Michelle Snortland
Michelle Snortland marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Mickeypink
Mickeypink marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Poyraz
Poyraz marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Yeji Lee
Yeji Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Esme Condon
Esme Condon marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Christine Spang
Christine Spang marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Shainak
Shainak marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Iris Iris
Iris Iris marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Brooke Lidell
Brooke Lidell marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
katie
katie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Thecat3786
Thecat3786 marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Rachel Singh
Rachel Singh marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Wordwizard
Wordwizard marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Missing Class: Strengthening Social Movement Groups by Seeing Class Cultures Missing Class: How Seeing Class Cultures Can Strengthen Social Movement Groups The Color of Wealth: The Story Behind the U.S. Racial Wealth Divide Shifting Fortunes: The Perils of the Growing American Wealth Gap Color of Wealth: The Story Behind the U.S. Racial Wealth Divide