Start by marking “Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers” as Want to Read:
Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers

Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers

In her lively refutation of modern claims about America's religious origins, Brooke Allen looks back at the late eighteenth century and shows decisively that the United States was founded not on Christian principles at all but on Enlightenment ideas. Moral Minority presents a powerful case that the unique legal framework the Founding Fathers created was designed according ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Moral Minority, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moral Minority

Robin
Sep 15, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing
The Founding Fathers were broad-minded intelluctuals, clear products of the international Enlightenment. They tended to see religious zeal as an irrational, divisive, and even atavistic passion that constituted a threat to human society. They questioned each and every received idea they had been taught. They were deeply read in political philosophy , interested in science, and well versed in theological matters. They consistently challenged the religious dogma they heard from the pulpit. The eig ...more
Paul
Aug 29, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing
I initially bought this book because I saw a praise blurb on the back from Darryl Hart, author of the book A Secular Faith and promoter of Two Kingdom theology. I thought I would see what he was reading and praising. Moral Minority is a well written book that accomplishes what it sets out to do. Brooke Allen establishes through copious and sometimes very lengthy quotes, that many of our Founding Fathers were very far from orthodox Christianity and had no intention of establishing a "Christian na ...more
Michael Miller
The first six chapters of Brooke Allen's Moral Minority examine the writings and speeches of six of the founding fathers: Franklin, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, and Hamilton. She helps bring some much needed perspective to their views on Christianity and on religious freedom. At times she mounts her soapbox to decry the activities of the religious right today, but for the most part she stays on task.

The final chapter, which purports to examine the world that produced the founders and
Emily
Dec 29, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book. It really responds to the common assertion that the founders were Christians and this is a Christian nation. The answer the book gives is "yes.... but." Most of the founding fathers were deists, so their idea of Christianity was very different than many of the fundamentalist sects we see today. The book really explains the importance of the separation of church and state to the founding fathers. After reading it, I had a much greater appreciation of the amazing ideali ...more
Mandy
Oct 12, 2009 Mandy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't finish the book. Not because it wasn't interesting. It's just one of those books that those who need to read won't read it, or they'll read it and find a way to rationalize away it's points.

If you find yourself in frequent arguments with those who think the founding fathers were perfect Christians then this book will help you back up your points on what kind of men they really were.

But I don't like having such arguments.
Keith
Dec 11, 2007 Keith added it
The founding fathers were quite clear about separation of church and state; they advocated tolerance of different beliefs and religions, but did not adopt any national religion. All grew up in a religious context, but many were secularists and "deists" and believed that the great philosophers of history, the 17th and 18th centuries provided the basis for the American ethics and political system with its observance of "rights".
Dumbledore11214
Dec 14, 2008 Dumbledore11214 rated it really liked it
Very nicely explains, with extensive quotes that America was not founded as Christian country and no, many of the founding fathers were not even christians,or had very very relaxed beliefs about what Christianity is.

Jim
Feb 05, 2017 Jim rated it it was amazing
Very readable account of how religious freedom barely made it into the Constitution, and how American culture has always been hostile to the separation of Church and State.
William Schram
Mar 29, 2015 William Schram rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a great deal. I was unaware of the advance of fundamentalism on our rights and the very frame of our Constitution.

This book discusses the religious nature of six of the founding fathers of the United States of America: Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton. All of it is done through quoting their private letters and papers, the laws they helped to enact, and ideas they tried to spread. Some of the Founding Fat
D.L. Morrese
Oct 22, 2011 D.L. Morrese rated it it was amazing
I personally found nothing new or revealing in this short summary of the philosophical foundations of the United States or of the religious sentiments of the founding fathers. But given the efforts of a small but vocal movement to rewrite history to make America an exclusively “Christian” nation, it is a timely reminder of the vision people like Washington, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, and James Madison had for this country. Ms. Allen points out quite accurately and succinctly that these great ...more
itpdx
Dec 05, 2010 itpdx rated it really liked it
Allen's premise is that some of the founding fathers (particularly Franklin, Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton) were not necessarily Christian. And that the Constitution was not based on Christian principles but on Enlightenment philosophy. And that they definitely intended there to be a "wall of separation" between church and state. Allen tells us of these founding fathers' (as well as some of their religious colleagues) dislike of the religious wars and persecution in England and Europe ...more
Gary
Nov 25, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it
This book easily refutes the current conservative line that our Founding Fathers were Christians and that the Constitution is based on Biblical principles.

Much of the Right's case is based on a website wherein the author lists the churches that our
Founding Fathers belonged to. While Ms. Allen freely admits that most of these men belonged to some church or another at some time in their lives, she demonstrates that MOST were not Christians in the contemporary sense of the word. How? By quoting th
Bruce
Dec 27, 2010 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, us-history
A very interesting book and a must read for anyone who really cares about what the founding fathers thought about church and state. If one considers John Adams, Ben Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton founding fathers this book provides information from their papers and personal letters which should direct one in the search for original intent. The chapter on Hamilton is extremely enlightening and actually interpretive of current (21st century) hap ...more
Joe
Jan 10, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommnded
MORAL MINORITY is a gratify broadside to the persistent myth that the United States was founded as — and needs to return to being — a faith-based nation. Using copious examples of their own writings, the author makes a watertight case for the fact that the Founders were at best Deists (or, in the case of Jefferson and Madison, outright atheists), and that any suggestion that they would have associated themselves with modern, evangelical religion, is absurd. The Founders were indeed inspired men, ...more
Nathan Langford
Jul 07, 2011 Nathan Langford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent, quick and, apparently, well researched work on the background of six of the principle founding fathers on the narrow issue of their religious beliefs, development how religion (specifically 'Christianity) was kept out of the Constitution. Each chapter reads like a magazine article (with good reason as the author writes for magazines) and this makes it a quick read. But do not think that being a 'quick read' means an 'easy read'. To be 'slowly chewed and digested'.

Great counter-argum
Joshua
Dec 20, 2011 Joshua rated it liked it
Great information especially to counter the lies about this being a "Christian Nation" or that there is no separation of church and state. This book uses the founding fathers' own writings to clearly show they intended a complete separation of church and state.

The reason I gave it only three stars is because it was difficult to read. It used so much of the founding fathers' own words - which is a good and important thing because it shows what they really thought in contrast to the spin that is o
Sedenhansen
Aug 21, 2009 Sedenhansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book delves into the philospohy and religious views of six of the "iconic" founders of our nation: Ben Franklin, George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and Alexander Hamilton. The author effectivly makes the case of these men (with the occasional exception of Hamilton) as quintessential enlightenment figures in their views on spritual matters, eschewing narrow-minded dogmatism and religious fervor for free and open inquiry.

-Michael
David Morris
Oct 20, 2012 David Morris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I couldn't even finish this book. The first several chapters basically repeat over and over again that the various founding fathers were not Christians, or if they were, were still skeptical of religion's place in government. The book seems little more than an excuse to regurgitate quotes from documents. While I agree with the sentiments of the author this book would've been much better as a short editorial in a magazine.
Jim Razinha
Aug 04, 2011 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful single source debunking of the myth of the US government being founded on Christian principles. Nothing could be further from the truth as Ms. Allen illustrates. Her case is laid out by citing the writings and biographies of the six most visible of the Founders: Franklin, Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Hamilton. Should be required reading for Beck, O'Reilly, the Tea Party Darlings and anyone else spouting that nonsense.
Keith
Mar 23, 2010 Keith added it
Allen gives an excellent review of each of the Founding Father's beliefs or lack thereof, making a convincing argument that American wasn't founded as a Christian nation, and that separation of church and state was their original intention. Good read for believer and non believer alike, as Allen stresses that separation is best for the freedom of both.
Ken
Oct 14, 2010 Ken rated it it was amazing
Excellent examination of the religious background of the late 18th century and the beliefs over several of our most well-known founders: Franklin, Washingon, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, and Hamilton. Well-cited, good listing for further reading.
Thomas.harrop
Sep 02, 2010 Thomas.harrop rated it really liked it
A great read. This book tells about the actual beliefs of the founding fathers. It debunks all the made up history about the founding of America as a Christian nation. These men knew how dangerous religion could be and did everything they could to keep the clergy from running the country.
Martha
Apr 22, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Interesting insights into the personalities of our founding fathers, and I kept wanting to write down quotes. Anyone who thinks everyone was religious back in the old days should read this. Unfortunately the people who most need to read this book will not.
Caroline
Sep 13, 2015 Caroline rated it really liked it
Look, I'm quite glad to have read it. I leaned lots. It was, however, a bit of a slog. It took me 2 separate efforts, and untold library renewals. Hard to keep the dramatic tension alive, really, with the layout of chapter per founding father.
Derek
May 20, 2010 Derek rated it really liked it
Great report on the personal religious views of the founding fathers and why they explicitly made church and state separate.
Kristin Sullivan
Jan 25, 2016 Kristin Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book about the founding fathers and how their original intent has been somewhat distorted
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2009
Skellington
Skellington rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2008
C
C rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Reagen
Reagen rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Faiths of the Founding Fathers
  • Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism
  • A People's History of the American Revolution: How Common People Shaped the Fight for Independence
  • Candidate Without a Prayer: An Autobiography of a Jewish Atheist in the Bible Belt
  • History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science
  • Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God
  • Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State
  • Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment
  • Intelligent Thought: Science Versus the Intelligent Design Movement
  • God, the Devil, and Darwin: A Critique of Intelligent Design Theory
  • Heavens to Betsy!: And Other Curious Sayings
  • Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism
  • American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson
  • Maimonides (Jewish Encounters)
  • C Street: The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy
Brooke Allen's critical writings appear frequently in the New York Times Book Review, the Atlantic Monthly, The New Criterion, The Hudson Review, and The Nation. Her Twentieth-Century Attitudes was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year. Her most recent book is Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers."
More about Brooke Allen...

“[The Founding Fathers] were not advocates for a monolithic notion of "God and Country," as promoters of a Christian America would now have us believe. They were precisely the opposite: the very prototypes, in fact, of the East Coast intellectuals we are always being warned against by today's religious right.” 2 likes
“George Washington rewrote the presidential addresses crafted for him by others so as to omit all references to Jesus Christ.” 0 likes