Bruce Lee: Artist of Life

Bruce Lee: Artist of Life

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A rare, never-before-seen collection of Lee's private letters and writing, offering insight into the many facets of his life, including his poetry, life philosophies, and his thoughts on martial arts, love, fatherhood, friendship. A fascinating look at the man behind the myth.
Published April 1st 2001 by Tuttle Publishing (first published September 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bruce Lee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruce Lee

H
Biography. But more importantly, includes Bruce Lee's poetry, essays, and articles. When I read this I copied out copious amounts of "The Passionate State of Mind," which I only later learned is not his essay but notes he copied from Hoffer's aphorisms.
Oliver Ho
Interesting collection of writings, from essays to poems, notes and marginalia to letters, which is good and bad. It's good because it offers a very close look at him as he searches to express himself, and there are many opportunities to watch his thoughts and ideas develop, particularly when the book gives multiple drafts of the same pieces of writing. On the downside, this book is not a coherent statement and most (if not all) of the pieces were never meant for publication, at least not in thi...more
Cwn_annwn_13
This book is a collection of writings penned by Bruce Lee. I wasn't as jazzed on this as I thought I might be but there were still some gems to be found in this book. One problem is a good portion of this book was the same essay several times over in a revised version. There was also a lot of stuff like term papers Bruce Lee wrote when he was a philosophy major in college and some poetry he had written so its not all martial arts stuff. Overall it was interesting if your interested in Bruce Lee...more
San
Definitely a man who intensifed my interest in martial arts and Chinese wisdom, and whom I started to idiolise since I became fascinated with his movies. However, many people, even some of his fans, don't see him as a whole, beyond his career as an actor and a great kung fu instructor. He was much more than that. The more I read about him, especially his own texts, the more I appreciate him as a real artist of life. That's what he really is above everything else he achieved.
Jessica
Jan 18, 2008 Jessica is currently reading it
anyone who has approached life as a GIANT ART PROJECT will appreciate this book. The content of this book is formulated from journals bruce lee kept throughout his life regarding the essence of the creative experience, and how one comes to apply the wisdom gained during the creative process. Once applied to any craft chosen by an individual comprimising the integrity of the individuals vision must be avoided.
-jessica in chicago
Fernando
The book was odd in how it was laid out in that it had drafts of the same essays written by bruce lee repeated like 3 or 4 times showing slight changes he made to his drafts over time. If you cut out the drafts of the same essay, this book would have been half the size. Besides that, Bruce Lee is the man. This gives you a glimpse of the mind and work ethic that made the star.
Ziyad
If I were to recommend the book Bruce Lee, by Greg Roensch, I would give it to a person who likes books that that are inspiring and that communicate with the reader. For example, when the author shows how Bruce Lee is slowly making his way to the top of his acting career, it also mentions his struggles and how he confronted them to accomplish his goal. If I were to rate this book on a scale of one to ten I would give it a 8/10, because along with the inspiring touch, it was a little below my rea...more
L.K. Perilin
A couple of things, first this book was some what reduntant in some areas. There is an articale that Bruce Lee had written and seven of the drafts are in the book. I would have been happy with just the final one but I guess they wanted to show his thought process and how it progressed. I was surprised to learn that Bruce Lee wrote poetry. Some of his poems are inclueded. Over all I enjoyed this book, it gives readers a window into Bruce Lee's philosophy.
Abelyg
I've read Bruce Lee: Letters of the Dragon, which seems to be a similar book with a collection of letters Bruce wrote to friends and family.
Deandre Mirabal
I thought this book was really cool because this is a very artistic fighting book.the quotes in some of his books and movies he made are true quotes.i would recommend these books and movies to all the fighters in the world that try to use anger just to fight.One qoute of this fighting is,"an angry mind is a narrow mind."
Ahmeed
Jan 11, 2014 Ahmeed marked it as to-read
great
Eri
Jan 16, 2008 Eri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who continually seeks & demand improvement of mind, body & soul.
"I cannot teach you; only help you to explore yourself. Nothing more." -Bruce Lee-

Everyday is a journey to search within our own. This 'Artist of Life' surely will reminiscence and replenish ours:)
Enjoy the searching!

Aaron
Not as focused or "quote a day"-able as Striking Thoughts, but it contains mostly the same information presented in whole-essay format. Also include are poetry and correspondence. It's an interesting read and worth checking out.
Bruce Lee was more than martial artist, he was deep into philosophy. His take on the mixture of the two, is portrayed here, and is thought provoking. Having segwayed into his art, Jeet Kune Do, I enjoy reading about his life.
Mitch Pitt
I have read it many Times. "the Path of an artistist", also!! Incredible and remarkable Individual,The man, Bruce Lee. Read it! It's Excellent.and Fascinating!...
Alex Tangel
I think I fell in love with Bruce Lee's Philosophy since I read this book and discovered his Zen thoughts about life.

Reading this book truly enlightened me.
Najamuddin
Biografi Bruce Lee dari sudut pandang sahabat karibnya John R. Little yang dikumpulkan dari catatan harian sang "Artist of Life - Bruce Lee"
Dennis Bauder
Bruce lee nuff said!! He has a amasing perspective on life and fighting great wisdom to be found in this book
Catherine Alber
If you're a martial artist, this is essential; especially Lee's essays on Gung fu.
Jacob Garis
Very Very Good. Has essays by the man himself, and his outlook on life.
Pete
a book i will continue to pick up and re-read...completely thurl.
joshuA
Bookmarked at page 55.
Robbie Glowczwski
Great philosophy on living.
Willie Wingo
great knowledge
Robert
One of my favs
Miroslav Zaporozhanov
Miroslav Zaporozhanov marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Euciano Hui
Euciano Hui marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Brandon Kon
Brandon Kon marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • Commentaries on Living 1
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • The Soul of the Indian
  • Living with the Himalayan Masters
  • Un altro giro di giostra
  • Essays in Zen Buddhism, First Series
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master (The Way of the Warrior Series)
  • I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe
  • Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
Bruce Lee was an American-born martial artist, philosopher, instructor, martial arts actor and the founder of the Jeet Kune Do martial arts system, widely regarded as the most influential martial artist of the 20th century and a cultural icon. He was the father of actor Brandon Lee and of actress Shannon Lee.
More about Bruce Lee...
Tao of Jeet Kune Do Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living Bruce Lee: The Art of Expressing the Human Body Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Basic Training, Vol. 2 Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way

“Ricorda, amico mio, che non è tanto importante quello che ti succede, ma come reagisci agli eventi.” 9 likes
“Si corre un pericolo non da poco quando si sta troppo vicino al fiume di pensieri di un'altra persona, perchè più forte è la corrente e più è facile caderci dentro e venire trascinati lontano da sè stessi.” 0 likes