Start by marking “The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee

The Warrior Within: The Philosophies of Bruce Lee

During his lifetime, legendary martial artist Bruce Lee formulated a complex personal philosophy--a synthesis of Eastern and Western ideals--that extolled the virtues of knowledge and total mastery of one's self. However, most of his philosophical writings could be found only within the personal library of the Bruce Lee estate--until now. "The Warrior Within" is the most c ...more
Published April 22nd 1996 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Within

The Warrior Within by John LittleHow to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterThe Bridges of Madison County by Robert James WallerThe Fountainhead by Ayn RandThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Bad Books My Exes Liked
1st out of 6 books — 3 voters
The New Jim Crow by Michelle AlexanderBury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee BrownThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootAin't I a Woman by bell hooks
Books White People Need To Read
247th out of 380 books — 713 voters

More lists with this book...

Naomi
May 28, 2012 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: being
I was studying buddhism a little before I began reading this book and find that Taoism is more of what I would like to understand more of due to it's similiarities of balance and harmony - like Navajo beliefs. This book was amazing! I loved all the things I read in each chapter, it was like a new life lesson each day and it was a great and clean feeling to open and explore these new ideas within reference to where I am at in my own life.
I especially enjoyed the last pages of the book in which it
Alex
Sep 27, 2007 Alex rated it it was ok
This book is a compilation of chicken-scratch notes left behind by Bruce Lee. When you read it, you understand why Lee did not make a book out of it himself. Many of the philosophies and lessons laid out are not fully elaborated or completely thought out. Many are on the border of being trite. From a skeptical point-of-view this book is only a superficially sincere tribute to Lee while it is more honestly a way to cash on having access to the left-over writings of a famous dead person.
Josh
Nov 24, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing
Great biography from the leading authority on Bruce Lee, John Little. Details about his life, his exercise regiment and his writing and philosophy. Powerful, moving stories on concepts of eastern philosophy and religion, of which, I love to share with other people. I read it many years ago but I continually find myself going back to the book again and again.
Tif
Sep 07, 2016 Tif rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I cringed every time the author mentioned something people in the West may not understand. Assuming your audience is not familiar with your subject is not a good way to reach them. I did like the concepts and some of the ideas portrayed in this book but the delivery could use some work.
JamSh
Jan 17, 2016 JamSh rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
A great introduction to the philosophy Bruce Lee embodied; a brief origin, how it effected his life, and the influences he left.

This is not a biography recounting a man's life but a treatise through recounting how he lived/experienced life we can appreciate our own life.
Marc
Sep 05, 2016 Marc rated it really liked it
After reading this, I correlated a lot with Bruce Lee's lifestyle. I was a bit skeptic at first, but I found out we had a lot in common in terms of life styles. This resolved most of my uncertainties.
Alejandro Galaza
Jul 04, 2009 Alejandro Galaza rated it really liked it
Bruce Lee's philosophical principles were rooted in the Tao, or yin-yang system where complimentary energies of the feminine and masculine combine to make a complete whole. In his book, he writes that the Tao permeates every aspect of life, such as in a fight, in human relationships,etc. I thought that the book contained some of Lee's interesting philosophies. My favorite of his philosophical concepts it that the life is about relationships; we discover who we are and what we are to do by relati ...more
Tucker
Feb 27, 2015 Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never having read or watched Bruce Lee before, I felt this audiobook was a good introduction to his philosophical teachings.
Peter
May 05, 2015 Peter rated it it was amazing
Bruce Lee was known as one of the greatest martial artist in the last century. This book goes deeper than that. It offers a great insight on his philosophy and practice which made him an iconic figure. Bruce Lee was just as smart as he was strong and this book offers great knowledge that can easily be applied to your own life. Since Bruce was Taoist, it does get into Taoism which was very interesting to read and know. John Little was also one of the only people allowed to go into Bruce's persona ...more
Sukhjeevan Brar
Aug 15, 2014 Sukhjeevan Brar rated it it was amazing
Jeet Kune Do philosophy is eye opening. Life-changing book.
Aaron Sutton
Jun 01, 2016 Aaron Sutton rated it it was amazing
Great Book - Life Changing and great foundation
Lucy
Dec 29, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing
It's good because Bruce Lee's in it.
Alberto Peisach
Jan 26, 2014 Alberto Peisach rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book I have read on the life of Bruce Lee as a person, his thoughts, way of life and, how he achieved what did. Strongly recommend it.
Arp
Feb 24, 2013 Arp rated it it was amazing
Bruce Lee was much, much deeper than the popular image of him as a bad-ass martial artist presumes. He believed deeply in self-expression, self-actualization and continually learning & growing. He was strongly influenced by Taoism (my own curiosity is piqued now) as well. I've written down quite a few quotes form the book and have been living with new perspectives.
Chris
Mar 05, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
People only think of Bruce Lee as a great martial artist but he was also a great thinker. His true passion was philosophy but he chose to express it through martial arts.

Great book, gives options on how to adjust to the ups and downs of the daily grind.
Oscar Sanchez
Jul 01, 2013 Oscar Sanchez rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites. This book was given to me as a gift years ago and I revisit it from time to time. A wonderful insight into the mind of Bruce Lee. A book that has changed my perspective and personal philosophy. A must-read for any true Bruce Lee fan.
Kyung
Nov 06, 2013 Kyung rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I'm not sure what was more powerful, though: the words in the book or the man behind them. Nevertheless this book empowered me to become a better person and martial artist. I need to revisit this again.
Spencer Marlen-starr
Nov 14, 2015 Spencer Marlen-starr rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book for the 2nd time this year, it is fantastic in every way. It gets a little repetitive at times, but that is actually a good thing to help you remember the lessons.
Lynn
Jun 28, 2012 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Only halfway through, but the first time I have actually read about Eastern philosophy! I LOVE it!!!
So many things that I have felt, but as a Westerner could not express.
Jack
Feb 23, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing
Great book. It allows one to think in terms of almost an "outside experience". There are a lot of useful thoughts that can be applied to everyday experience.
Rsdg
Mar 18, 2008 Rsdg rated it liked it
little difficult given my age at the time but still a good read.
ManuFactured Artists
Mar 28, 2012 ManuFactured Artists rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to Eastern philosophy.
Kirsten Squires
One to read again and again.
Kurt Frenier
Aug 24, 2010 Kurt Frenier rated it it was amazing
A book that changed my life.
John Scott
Feb 23, 2013 John Scott rated it really liked it
Insightful.
Youssef Adam
Lperthel
Lperthel marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Anne Siri
Anne Siri marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Mikie Carroll
Mikie Carroll marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Tina Redmond
Tina Redmond marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
  • Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living
  • The Bruce Lee Story
  • Bruce Lee: Fighting Spirit: A Biography
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart
  • Sit With Less Pain: Gentle Yoga for Meditators and Everyone Else
  • Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of the Shogun
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers