Start by marking “Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)

Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  4,913 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
Business is booming at Clare Cosi's Village Blend, until her female customers start to die. Lieutenant Quinn is convinced that someone has an axe to grind, and, unfortunately, his prime suspect is the new man in Clare's life.

Now Clare will risk her heart--and her life--to follow the killer's trail to the bitter end.

Mass Market Paperback, 270 pages
Published October 5th 2004 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Through the Grinder, please sign up.

Jessica Zimmer Yes, sadly, he is in this book. Being just as annoying, possessive and creepy as he was before. He's honestly one of the few reasons this series gets…moreYes, sadly, he is in this book. Being just as annoying, possessive and creepy as he was before. He's honestly one of the few reasons this series gets on my nerves. I wish the authors would get rid of him already. He treats Claire like he owns her and it brings the books down.(less)

Kathy Davie
Aug 23, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Second in the Coffeehouse Mystery series set in an independent coffeehouse, the Village Blend, based in Greenwich Village in New York City.

My Take
I loved and hated this! The story was good and the ending made me cry!! The theme for this installment is online dating in all its frustrations along with the rare gem.

Clare's relationship takes a twist with Quinn and Matt finds out what it's like on the receiving end. Although. Clare does get a bit of insight on Matt's thinking process.

You will defini
Kathy
May 19, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
I am kind of surprised that I went ahead and read this 2nd book in the series, given that I hated all the coffee education she tried to give people in the first book. But I had it, so I gave it a try. I liked this one much better than the other, a lot more mystery and plot and not so much coffee crap. I am willing to try the 3rd book.
Book Concierge
Clare Cosi manages The Village Blend, a century-old coffeehouse in New York’s Greenwich Village, owned by her ex-mother-in-law. She is happily settling into this new life in the City. But one of her regular customers meets her death on the subway tracks shortly after stopping at the coffeehouse. The transit authority rules the death a suicide, but Detective Mike Quinn isn’t so sure. Then another Blend customer “jumps” from her roof and Quinn begins to suspect the new man in Clare’s life.

I thoug
Patti's Book Nook
Goodreads doesn't want me to post this review:-P It's actually my crappy internet. Since this is the third time I've attempted to post, I'll make this super short. I thought Coyle stepped it up with this second book in her cozy mystery series. I've said elsewhere that I rate these books differently from literary fiction and even other mysteries because I'm looking for a more charming, less-violent, palate-cleansing read from my usual fare. While this had it's corny and predictable moments, I ...more
Ginger
Sep 29, 2016 Ginger rated it it was ok
I gave this series a second chance and it's just not for me. There's no suspence at all. Like so many cozies the characters are too earnest and simple.
Moriah Venable
Oct 02, 2015 Moriah Venable rated it really liked it
In the second novel in the series, Clare Cosi is starting to date again after divorcing her husband Matteo. While she has an attraction to Detective Quinn because of his martial issues, she knows now is not the time for them together if they ever do. But agrees to try online dating if only for the safety of her daughter Joy who is now single and is wanting to try a new platform for dating. Clare signs on to dating site. After a horrible date she decides to try speed dating at the Coffeehouse, ...more
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Jan 05, 2014 Rachel Kramer Bussel rated it it was amazing
I read Through the Grinder after having gone ahead and read later mysteries in this series, but I was still totally charmed by Clare's protectiveness over her coffeeshop and her daughter, Joy, as well as her feeling out the singles scene. As always, Coyle paints a vivid portrait of New York City and works in historical tidbits about neighborhoods like Greenwich Village and SoHo. But the heart of this mystery is the deaths that might be suicides, but Clare and her new friend, policeman Mike ...more
Ronna
Dec 13, 2013 Ronna rated it it was amazing
This husband and wife team definitely writes one of the best cozy series going. The mystery is exciting and I learn more and more about coffee and New York with each continuing book. My favorite type of cozy! This is the second in the series and unlike some cozies, there is nothing repetitive or unnecessary within the story line.

There is someone calling themselves "The Genius" pushing women to their deaths, making it look like a suicide. Meanwhile, back at The Village Blend coffee shop, finding
Tofu Fairy
Aug 26, 2013 Tofu Fairy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book even more than the 1st of the series. I liked that I already knew a lot of the characters and their backgrounds and I also loved that this was a serial killer not just a one off. I can't wait to read book #3! MILD SPOILER!!!! The ending SUCKED! I was so unhappy with the ending. Oh you find out who the killer is and it is all wrapped up in a bow, but that bow is NOT pretty and left me a sobbing mess. I don't like stories with unhappy endings, and this has one. That is the main ...more
KarenF
Aug 23, 2012 KarenF rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, mystery, cozy
This installment was certainly darker than most cozy mysteries. Not to say it wasn't entertaining and engaging, it was. But Detective Quinn's marriage is breaking up and Clare meets a man who may be Mr. Right but also seems closely tied to a string of murders made to look like suicides. It's very outside the cozy "meet a hunky neighbor and have a romance" norm. For me, it's also nice to see a cozy set in a city and not in a small town. Nothing against small towns, I've lived in both cities and ...more
Susan
Nov 02, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2012
I really enjoy this series, mainly because of all the coffee facts, tips and atmosphere from the coffe house. As I mentioned before, I would love for this place to be real so I could have latte or cappuccino or espresso from there.

The mystery was a good one, if a bit gruesome and graphic at times, and touched on internet and speed dating. It also got into the psyche of some of the characters, very disturbing.

There was also a scene that took place at a gallery where paintings from serial killers
Michelle
Aug 23, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the 2nd book in the Coffeehouse cozy mystery series. Clare Cosi is settling back in to life in NY. When her daughter begins dating again after a bad breakup, Clare decides to join her in online and social meeting dating, partly to keep an eye on her/ the men interested in her and partly to get back into dating herself. Life becomes complicated when a customer apparently commits suicide by jumping in front of a subway train with one of the coffeehouse's cups in her hand. Detective Quinn ...more
Barbara
Nov 25, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Another satisfying cozy mystery. Clare Cozi manages a coffee shop in Greenwich Village. Several young women die in questionable suicides, that may be murders, and all were customers of the coffee shop. This story features internet dating (the book was published in 2004)and Clare gets involved to "screen" potential dates for her 20 year old daughter. Like the first book in the series, Clare's ex-husband is part of the action. I like the author's details of life in the Village and the ...more
Betsy
Through the Grinder by Cleo Coyle is the second book in the Coffeehouse Mystery series. I really wanted to like this series, but it just is not for me. I tried another book after not being too thrilled with the first to give the series a chance. I just find that these books have too much gossipy talk, coffee talk, relationship talk, and architectural and historical discussions. I will not be continuing on in the series, but please do not let my opinion sway you because it might be your style. 2 ...more
Susan
Sep 09, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
This one was a re-read for me but enough time had passed that I did not remember 'who dunnit'. I enjoy this series and the protagonist,
Clare Cosi. For me the drawbacks were the obsessive coffee lectures - I get that that is the theme of the series but really is she not able to converse about anything else?; plus a few grammar errors (few and minor ones but still detracting from the enjoyment of the read).

Overall a solid read. I will definitely read or re-read others in this series.
Caitlin Copp
Jun 06, 2016 Caitlin Copp rated it really liked it
Shelves: june-2016
Claire Cosi is doing great running her cafe and sponsoring a speed dating club on ocassion. She notices however that some of her female customers who just happen to be part of the speed dating are dying. Although they are dying by what seems like suicide, Claire is not convinced and shares this with Detective Quinn and her ex-husband Mateo. Detective Quinn seems to think Claire's new man is behind the murders and Claire decides to investigate to clear his name.
Rikki
May 26, 2013 Rikki rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, dnf, mystery
Didn't like this one. The constant thoughts of the killer got on my nerves. "Genius", give me a break!
Quinn comes in for some reason or other looking like hell, swamped with cases and Clare has nothing better to do than to educate him on the fabulous blend of coffee she is going to offer him once she has ground the beans to perfection. Please! You can take the theme a bit too far!
Zoe
Aug 23, 2012 Zoe rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A nice second entry in the series - she's so good at weaving in lots of historical bits about New York and it's various neighborhoods, but a little light on coffeehouse atmosphere in this book. Also a surprisingly dark ending.
Linda
Jun 23, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Enjoyed this more than # 1 in this series. The Village Blend Coffee House is a place I would love to hang out with my Kindle and a latte. Chracters in this series are wonderful. I love Clare's apartment! This one kept me guessing to the end. The murderer was a total surprise. Such a cozy read!
Amber
Aug 23, 2012 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
It's always funny the kind of details authors think you need to know. Emphasizing more than three times that the main character wears a C cup is really just not one of those things.
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
Best line: "Perhaps we should let him lie in the maid he's bedded."
Amanda
Apr 03, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Fun books that make me want to drink more coffee. Nothing wrong with that!
Bonnie
Nov 11, 2016 Bonnie rated it really liked it
In this 2nd book in the Coffeehouse cozy mystery series Clare Cosi, manager and part owner of “The Blend” coffeehouse, decides to join her daughter in online and a speed dating party in order to keep an eye on her and the men she is interested in, as well as, getting back in the dating game herself. The labels that Clare gives the men at a speed dating event, are not only funny and priceless but also paints an interesting picture that can be easily visualized.

Now for the mystery... Life changes
Kate Berry
Nov 17, 2016 Kate Berry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amara
Nov 10, 2016 Amara rated it it was ok
Would have been three, I liked the banter between some of the main characters, and I liked all the interesting stuff about New York and coffee (even though I don't drink coffee :) ) but there was too much time spent in the killer's mind. The degrading yucky language he used to talk about his future victims put this outside of the cozy genre for me.
Tasula
Nov 13, 2016 Tasula rated it liked it
Another light mystery featuring NYC gourmet coffee house manager Clare Cosi, who with ex husband Matteo solved a murder in book 1. I vicariously enjoyed the cappuccinos. I thought the motive and identity of the murderer were obvious pretty early.
Lisa L.
Nov 04, 2016 Lisa L. rated it it was amazing
Great second book in the series! Enjoying learning more about the characters as they work together to solve the mystery.
Fran
Nov 04, 2016 Fran rated it liked it
Another 3-1/2 stars at least. I really like this series of coffee cozies.
Nairabell
Aug 23, 2012 Nairabell rated it it was amazing
Clare's enjoying her new life running the Village Blend, until she gets an early morning wake-up call to inform her one of her customers jumped to her death on the subway shortly after picking up her usual cup of joe. Clare thinks it's a tragedy, until Detective Quinn drops by the Blend. He's suspicious of the circumstances surrounding the death, especially as another female customer has recently died through "suicide". Soon Quinn is on the trail of Clare's new love Bruce, and Clare decides to ...more
Marianne
Sep 26, 2016 Marianne rated it really liked it
I love this series. The characters are engaging, and I especially love the references to Western PA.
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Turn Up the Heat (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #3)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2)
Cleo Coyle is the New York Times bestselling pseudonym for Alice Alfonsi, writing in collaboration with her husband, Marc Cerasini. Under the name Cleo Coyle, they've written 15 Coffeehouse Mystery titles, including the latest, DEAD TO THE LAST DROP, which was chosen as a Baker & Taylor Fall "Trends" Pick, a "Most Wanted" selection of the Mystery Guild, and honored with four Best of Year list ...more
More about Cleo Coyle...

Coffeehouse Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Most Frothy (Coffeehouse Mystery, #4)
  • Decaffeinated Corpse (Coffeehouse Mystery, #5)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • Espresso Shot (Coffeehouse Mystery, #7)
  • Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8)
  • Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • A Brew to a Kill (Coffeehouse Mystery, #11)

“Nocciuola, which is Italian for hazelnut, was basically a latte with the addition of hazelnut-flavored syrup. (We didn’t have a liquor license, but I did keep a bottle of Frangelico, a lovely Italian hazelnut liqueur, hidden under the counter for the occasional spike—for a few very special customers upon request.” 0 likes