Start by marking “Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery” as Want to Read:
Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Like her beloved character Anne of Green Gables, L. M. Montgomery spent her childhood a rural farmhouse. Born November 30, 1874, and raised by strict, elderly guardians, Maud had an early life full of loneliness and struggle; however, she had a secret dream: to become a writer.
Published April 1st 1994 by Starfire (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Maud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maud

Mti Librarian
This is a short biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables and other classic books adored by children and readers for more than 100 years. It mostly focuses on Maud's early life and young adulthood up until her marriage to the Rev. Ewan MacDonald when she was 36.

The part that I found most interesting was Maud's ill-fated love affair with Herman Leard. In 1897 there were very strict expectations for how young couples would court and behave before marriage, especially on...more
Patricia
This biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery, best known as the author of the Anne of Green Gables series, has a crackling opening. Harry Bruce knew not to bury that lead. Well done Mr. Bruce. However, after that, it settles into a rather standard biography which, inexplicably peters out when Montgomery gets married. I was looking for information about how she lived with depression, and this book does not examine anything in that realm, which I found disappointing.
Kimber
As a huge fan of Anne Shirley (I even have a daughter named after her), I enjoyed reading more about Maud's life. I loved finding the similarities between her and some of her characters, especially Anne. As one who has ancestors from PEI, I also loved learning more about Prince Edward Island geography, and appreciated the map included in the front of the book. It made me want to go visit PEI as soon as I can!
Eileen
After visiting Prince Edward Island in September I was quite motivated to learn about Maud's life. I was an ardent fan of the Anne books growing up. Reading about Lucy Maud Mongomery's life in that idyllic place definitely provided some insight into the evolution of the Anne chronicles. What a struggle she had as woman back then, being allowed to go to college and then to become a writer!
Thebruce1314
I was inspired to finally read this after my recent trip to PEI. This book offers a very good, simplistic overview of Montgomery's life. An easy read, it touches on the author's life, relationships and inspirations behind her most famous work. Written in a style that might appeal to younger readers, or to those only superficially interested in Montgomery's biography.
Eileen
Maud lead such a determined life. From a very early age, she knew what she wanted and she continuously pursued that dream. Some of the circumstances of her life were not the greatest but she didn't let that stop her. For a woman living during that era, she was quite progressive and was well ahead of current trends. She was an amazing woman!
Sonja
Not the most exciting of lives, but since it is the life of the woman who created Anne of Green Gables, how could I do anything but love her completely? What determination!
Vanessa Brown
I have a soft spot for this book because it was the first biography of Montgomery I ever read, but it has a lot of inaccuracies in it. However, it's super readable.
Loni Spendlove
Quick bio on L.M. Montgomery and it reminded me that I really want to vacation on Prince Edward Island...
Arlene Allen
Not the best bio of L. M. Montgomery, but one of the first I ever read.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Meg
Meg is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Leah Price
Leah Price marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Lorren
Lorren marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
De Williams
De Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Lillian
Lillian marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Ada Walladge
Ada Walladge marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Page Fright: Foibles and Fetishes of Famous Writers Page Fright: Foibles and Fetishes of Famous Writers An Illustrated History of Nova Scotia Down Home .. Notes Of A Maritime Son Maud:  The Life of L. M. Montgomery