Start by marking “Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery” as Want to Read:
Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

Like her beloved character Anne of Green Gables, L. M. Montgomery spent her childhood a rural farmhouse. Born November 30, 1874, and raised by strict, elderly guardians, Maud had an early life full of loneliness and struggle; however, she had a secret dream: to become a writer.
Published April 1st 1994 by Starfire (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Maud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maud

Mti Librarian
This is a short biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables and other classic books adored by children and readers for more than 100 years. It mostly focuses on Maud's early life and young adulthood up until her marriage to the Rev. Ewan MacDonald when she was 36.

The part that I found most interesting was Maud's ill-fated love affair with Herman Leard. In 1897 there were very strict expectations for how young couples would court and behave before marriage, especially on
Aly
May 04, 2016 Aly rated it really liked it
Cette bio m'a donné une furieuse envie de relire la série d'Anne la maison aux pignons verts que j'ai tant adoré étant gamine et qui m'a tout aussi ravi lors de sa relecture pendant l'adolescence.

La seule chose que je reproche à ce livre c'est qu'il est trop court. J'en aurais pris plus sur la vie de cette auteure ainsi que ces moments où elle a écrit les romans qui allaient suivre Anne. Mais en plus du récit de la vie de Lucy Maud Montgomery j'ai surtout aimé le voyage dans le temps. J'entends
Kimber
Dec 07, 2012 Kimber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of Anne Shirley (I even have a daughter named after her), I enjoyed reading more about Maud's life. I loved finding the similarities between her and some of her characters, especially Anne. As one who has ancestors from PEI, I also loved learning more about Prince Edward Island geography, and appreciated the map included in the front of the book. It made me want to go visit PEI as soon as I can!
Patricia
Aug 04, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery, best known as the author of the Anne of Green Gables series, has a crackling opening. Harry Bruce knew not to bury that lead. Well done Mr. Bruce. However, after that, it settles into a rather standard biography which, inexplicably peters out when Montgomery gets married. I was looking for information about how she lived with depression, and this book does not examine anything in that realm, which I found disappointing.
Lisa Tangen
Nov 10, 2014 Lisa Tangen rated it liked it
I liked learning about Lucy Montgomery. this book wasn't particularly well written but then it might have been a children's book. I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until I was an adult and I was totally entranced. It's not surprising that there are a lot of parallels between Lucy's upbringing and Anne's. I find it interesting that authors like Montgomery and James Herriot wrote stories based on negative life experiences but made their stories positive.
Carolyn
Jan 07, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
I loved Anne of Green Gables, The Avonlee books and The Emily books. So naturally I had to know the author. In this book I learned to admire her the way I admired Hetty King. How wonderful and inspirational Ms. Montgomery would be to me. She spent most of her life unmarried. Then later in life,...well the biography does say it was only for convenience sake not love. She was also a beacon in her little island of Nova Scotia. If you loved her books, you'll love this little quick read biography.
Eileen
Dec 29, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it
After visiting Prince Edward Island in September I was quite motivated to learn about Maud's life. I was an ardent fan of the Anne books growing up. Reading about Lucy Maud Mongomery's life in that idyllic place definitely provided some insight into the evolution of the Anne chronicles. What a struggle she had as woman back then, being allowed to go to college and then to become a writer!
Thebruce1314
I was inspired to finally read this after my recent trip to PEI. This book offers a very good, simplistic overview of Montgomery's life. An easy read, it touches on the author's life, relationships and inspirations behind her most famous work. Written in a style that might appeal to younger readers, or to those only superficially interested in Montgomery's biography.
Eileen
Feb 02, 2010 Eileen rated it really liked it
Maud lead such a determined life. From a very early age, she knew what she wanted and she continuously pursued that dream. Some of the circumstances of her life were not the greatest but she didn't let that stop her. For a woman living during that era, she was quite progressive and was well ahead of current trends. She was an amazing woman!
Jessica Weleski
Aug 22, 2016 Jessica Weleski rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Written more as a juvenile biography
Melissa Frentsos
Mar 18, 2015 Melissa Frentsos rated it liked it
Very interesting to see how certain stories in her life played out in her fiction
Arlene Allen
Oct 05, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Not the best bio of L. M. Montgomery, but one of the first I ever read.
Loni Spendlove
May 20, 2011 Loni Spendlove rated it liked it
Quick bio on L.M. Montgomery and it reminded me that I really want to vacation on Prince Edward Island...
Vanessa Brown
Mar 27, 2012 Vanessa Brown rated it liked it
I have a soft spot for this book because it was the first biography of Montgomery I ever read, but it has a lot of inaccuracies in it. However, it's super readable.
Sonja
Sep 17, 2011 Sonja rated it really liked it
Not the most exciting of lives, but since it is the life of the woman who created Anne of Green Gables, how could I do anything but love her completely? What determination!
Gina
Gina rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Laryssa
Laryssa rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2017
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Coriana
Coriana rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Jrodriguez
Jrodriguez rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Bridget R. Wilson
Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2008
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
NorthernDove
NorthernDove rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2017
Corrin
Corrin rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 06, 2009
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Lachesislooms
Lachesislooms rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Heather Emme
Heather Emme rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 2: 1910-1921
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • L.M. Montgomery