Start by marking “Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery” as Want to Read:
Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Like her beloved character Anne of Green Gables, L. M. Montgomery spent her childhood a rural farmhouse. Born November 30, 1874, and raised by strict, elderly guardians, Maud had an early life full of loneliness and struggle; however, she had a secret dream: to become a writer.
Published April 1st 1994 by Starfire (first published August 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Maud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maud

Mti Librarian
This is a short biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables and other classic books adored by children and readers for more than 100 years. It mostly focuses on Maud's early life and young adulthood up until her marriage to the Rev. Ewan MacDonald when she was 36.

The part that I found most interesting was Maud's ill-fated love affair with Herman Leard. In 1897 there were very strict expectations for how young couples would court and behave before marriage, especially on
Carolyn
I loved Anne of Green Gables, The Avonlee books and The Emily books. So naturally I had to know the author. In this book I learned to admire her the way I admired Hetty King. How wonderful and inspirational Ms. Montgomery would be to me. She spent most of her life unmarried. Then later in life,...well the biography does say it was only for convenience sake not love. She was also a beacon in her little island of Nova Scotia. If you loved her books, you'll love this little quick read biography.
Lisa Tangen
I liked learning about Lucy Montgomery. this book wasn't particularly well written but then it might have been a children's book. I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until I was an adult and I was totally entranced. It's not surprising that there are a lot of parallels between Lucy's upbringing and Anne's. I find it interesting that authors like Montgomery and James Herriot wrote stories based on negative life experiences but made their stories positive.
Patricia
This biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery, best known as the author of the Anne of Green Gables series, has a crackling opening. Harry Bruce knew not to bury that lead. Well done Mr. Bruce. However, after that, it settles into a rather standard biography which, inexplicably peters out when Montgomery gets married. I was looking for information about how she lived with depression, and this book does not examine anything in that realm, which I found disappointing.
Kimber
As a huge fan of Anne Shirley (I even have a daughter named after her), I enjoyed reading more about Maud's life. I loved finding the similarities between her and some of her characters, especially Anne. As one who has ancestors from PEI, I also loved learning more about Prince Edward Island geography, and appreciated the map included in the front of the book. It made me want to go visit PEI as soon as I can!
Eileen
After visiting Prince Edward Island in September I was quite motivated to learn about Maud's life. I was an ardent fan of the Anne books growing up. Reading about Lucy Maud Mongomery's life in that idyllic place definitely provided some insight into the evolution of the Anne chronicles. What a struggle she had as woman back then, being allowed to go to college and then to become a writer!
Thebruce1314
I was inspired to finally read this after my recent trip to PEI. This book offers a very good, simplistic overview of Montgomery's life. An easy read, it touches on the author's life, relationships and inspirations behind her most famous work. Written in a style that might appeal to younger readers, or to those only superficially interested in Montgomery's biography.
Eileen
Maud lead such a determined life. From a very early age, she knew what she wanted and she continuously pursued that dream. Some of the circumstances of her life were not the greatest but she didn't let that stop her. For a woman living during that era, she was quite progressive and was well ahead of current trends. She was an amazing woman!
Sonja
Not the most exciting of lives, but since it is the life of the woman who created Anne of Green Gables, how could I do anything but love her completely? What determination!
Vanessa Brown
I have a soft spot for this book because it was the first biography of Montgomery I ever read, but it has a lot of inaccuracies in it. However, it's super readable.
Loni Spendlove
Quick bio on L.M. Montgomery and it reminded me that I really want to vacation on Prince Edward Island...
Arlene Allen
Not the best bio of L. M. Montgomery, but one of the first I ever read.
Brigitta
Brigitta marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
S.M.
S.M. marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Debra Battle
Debra Battle marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Miranda Atchley
Miranda Atchley marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
M. Barnard
M. Barnard marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Madeline Silvas
Madeline Silvas marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 1: 1889-1910
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • Anne of Green Gables Treasury
Page Fright: Foibles and Fetishes of Famous Writers Page Fright: Foibles and Fetishes of Famous Writers Maud:  The Life of L. M. Montgomery An Illustrated History of Nova Scotia Down Home .. Notes Of A Maritime Son