Start by marking “Bad Day in Blackrock” as Want to Read:
Bad Day in Blackrock

Bad Day in Blackrock

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  22 reviews

On a late August night a young man is kicked to death outside a Dublin nightclub and celebration turns to devastation. The reverberations of that event, its genesis and aftermath, is the subject of this extraordinary story, stripping away the veneer of a generation of Celtic cubs, whose social and sexual mores are chronicled and dissected in this tract for our times. The v
Published 2008 by Liliput Press

To ask other readers questions about Bad Day in Blackrock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Day in Blackrock

Loved this book. Bleak but insightful look at the lives of the children of the Irish middle class. Based on a real event, this got embroiled in a bit of controversy but don't get distracted by trying to match the fictional events to the real-life ones - this book is too important for that. This is also the author's first book and while it has a little of that first-book clunkiness you sometimes find with young writers, it's a real achievement. Reminds me a little of the work of Jay McInerney and ...more
Bad Day in Blackrock tells the story of a young man kicked to death in a fight outside a Dublin nightclub. Power's narrator recounts these events and their aftermath from the viewpoints of the different players in the tragedy. Those involved in the fracas, their friends, the families of the victims and those of the accused all share the spotlight. Power is not judgmental; none of his characters are out-and-out villains, and few are blameless, either.

The book is a cold, hard look at privilege and
I didn't enjoy this at all. Kevin Power saw a story on the telly, so he said "If I turn this into a book and change the names, while adding loads of "he might have", "maybe he", "we don't know" blah blah blah tabloid type nonsense, I can haz monies".

If he wrote this as a true story, there could have been the potential for a decent book, but he didn't. He has added so much nonsense, it reads like 250 page article in the Daily Star.
I remember when this "incident" took place in Dublin. I also remember the rather biased reporting and the subsequent down-playing of the actions of the main perpetrators of the horrific killing of a young man. This book truly captures the flavour of the time and the way in which a group of well-to-do people in South Dublin formed a protective ring around themselves to a disgraceful degree. Personally, I think this is well worth a read, particularly for someone who, like me, grew up in South Dubl ...more
Slávek Rydval
Příběh v knize, inspirovaný skutečnou událostí, vypráví o smrti jednoho ze studentů z prestižní školy v Dublinu. Byl zavražděn třemi kopy do hlavy. Třemi kopy vedenými třemi jinými studenty z téže školy. Všichni z bohatých rodin, všichni v té chvíli opití.

Kniha je ukázkou života dublinské mládeže „z lepší společnosti“, která má na starosti akorát chlastání, píchání a kupování luxusních věcí. Při jedné z mnoha pijatik se věci zvrtnou a jeden ze studentů je ukopán k smrti.

Jak vyprávění postupuje,
Andrew Mcq
This book is a fictionalised re-telling of a real life event, the killing of a young man outside a Dublin nightclub. Power has re-worked many of the details, something which has irked some reviewers. However, the established facts have been well documented, and by distancing himself from them Power has, in my opinion, allowed himself to concentrate on the context rather than on journalistic reporting.

The key element therefore is the picture painted of the privileged world of southside school an
Richard, Barry und Stephen sind Studenten eines Colleges in Dublin, gehören zur traditionsreichen und finanziell besser gestellten Oberschicht, spielen Rugby und trinken gern mal einen. Am 31. August feiern und zechen sie genauso wie Conor, ebenfalls Rugbyspieler vom College, den sie noch aus ihrer Kindheit kennen, in einem Pub. Als dieser schliesst, geschieht das Unfassbare. Die drei sowie noch einige weitere Jungs prügeln auf Conor ein und treten ihn, als er reglos am Boden liegt. Später im Kr ...more
Sandy May
Conor Harris a young man from a privileged background in Dublin is beaten and kicked to death outside a nightclub by others from privileged backgrounds. Kevin Power's powerful first novel lays bare the world of Dublin's elite and in particular that city's public schools. Based on a true story no one emerges from this tale unscathed or blameless. A real page-turner I hope to see more from this writer soon.
Have to admit i was quite confused about midway when i realised i had no idea who the person was who was narrating this story, thought i might have missed it from the start, but all becomes clear by the end. Wasn't quite sure what to expect from this one, it follows from the death of a young man in an altercation outside a nightclub. Why did the fight take place, who exactly was involved, what happens next? It explores the privilege lives of the moneyed elite of South Dublin.
It was a bit short,
A melancholy story, but well written.
Interesting story about posh Dublin kids. However, characters lack depth (oh-so-perfect Richard, oh-so-perfect Laura, fate was so cruel to them) and repeating over and over certain phrases and adjectives is just annoying. Overall, decent modern novel.
I really liked a rather loose film adaptation of this, Lenny Abrahamson's "What Richard did". Not only was it very interesting to compare the film and this book that reconstructs a "manslaughter" in a manner reminiscent of Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood". The book actually is (IMHO) better than Capote's famous classic. It's a one-hit wonder from an author who shows no interest to ever write another book - even though he even got awarded for this. Great!
A young man is beaten up and killed by 3 of his peers. This is a story of the South Dublin elite. They go to the right schools, play rugby, date girls from within their 'class', but one night it all goes wrong. Based on a true story, it gives a fascinating insight into the lives of the young people of the wealthy South Dublin set.
Nathan O'hagan
a brilliant, powerful and insightful look into the murder of a Dublin teenager by a group of his contemporaries, and the events surrounding it. a shocking portrayal of Dublin's young, privileged nouveau riche. best contemporary novel I have read in a very long time.
An enjoyable novel that gives an eye in on a certain segment of Dublin society in the boom years of the early 2000s. I admired the clinical detailing of even mundane things that might matter, and the creeping grief and bleakness of the narrative.
well done kev. book has really been sticking in my mind, especially as i was walking past all the huge houses in ranelagh last night. parts were VERY familiar of what life looked like to some of those UCD private school types. when's the next book?
Thought this was quite badly written, I skimmed through and eventually gave up. A shame as I had quite a prurient interest in the story, along with the half the country I'm sure.
Amara Anwar
Not my usual genre to read but was definitely captivated throughout. Wasn't the best book I had ever read however it was not a waste of time either.
I read this book in one twelve hour sitting. A book with purpose and importance.
Roger Payne
The book sadly is about troubles we get in life time
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Dave added it
Aug 18, 2015
Jesse marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
  • Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel
  • Captured
  • The Oath (Knights Templar, #29)
  • Daughters Of Fortune
  • From Worst to First: Behind the Scenes of Continental's Remarkable Comeback
  • Ghost Light
  • Mr Mumbles (Invisible Fiends, Book 1)
  • Le fils
  • Always on my mind
  • Liquid Intelligence: The Art and Science of the Perfect Cocktail
  • The Ultimate Bar Book: The Comprehensive Guide to Over 1,000 Cocktails
  • The Cloud Collector's Handbook
  • The Barracks
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (Bloom's Notes)
  • The Dark Room
  • The Plough and the Stars
  • A Darkness Forged in Fire (Iron Elves, #1)
  • Antarctica
Kevin Power (born August 19, 1981) is an Irish writer and academic. He a graduate of University College Dublin. His novel Bad Day in Blackrock was published by The Lilliput Press, Dublin, in 2008. In April 2009 he received the 2008 Hennessy XO Emerging Fiction Award for his short story "The American Girl" and was shortlisted for RTE's Francis MacManus short story award in 2007 for his piece entitl ...more
More about Kevin Power...
Pablo Palazuelo, virtus marin Juan Usle: OJO-NIDO (English and Spanish Edition) Hungry Ghosts Where You're At: Poetics & Visual Art Untitled Bk 2