A Reverence for Wood

A Reverence for Wood

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This refreshing and delightfully written book underscores the important role that wood has played in the development of American life and culture. Charmingly illustrated with author Eric Sloane's own sketches, the text illuminates with rare insight the enormously varied and useful qualities of wood.
Covering such topics as the aesthetics of wood, wooden implements, and carp...more
Published February 18th 2004 by Dover Publications (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about A Reverence for Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Reverence for Wood

Jim
I've read this several times as a standalone, the latest as the last book in Eric Sloane's Sketches of America Past, which is actually 3 of his books in one. My review of it is here:

This book delves into some interesting history of Colonial America. Sloane tends to deify the old woodworkers a bit too much & makes up a few fictional conversations, but it's all good as he shows just how important wood was in their lives & in so many different ways.

Th...more
Shaun
Aug 08, 2008 Shaun rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shaun by: Stuart
This book is a short meander though a mythical America where relaxed pioneers worried primarily about how to use trees and shared scripted conversations with each other that mirror Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Sloane has reserved a special place in his heart for wooden tools, and this book is a celebration of what European settlers managed to do with all the trees they found here once they cut them down - that is, before metal came in and ruined everything.

I enjoyed this, despite it's rose-colored-p...more
Daniel
Someone left a battered copy of this little gem in the bathroom of our barn/farm-house. It includes numerous easily digestible meditations and anecdotes related to our nation's historical reliance on lumber. The prose is noticeably nostalgic and peppered with pleasant illustrations. Personally, my favorite part of the book was a small reflection on barn roofing in New England, which intentionally left nails protruding in order to keep snow from falling off. The idea, apparently, was that snow wa...more
Jay
Apr 23, 2014 Jay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: reason
Heather laughed at me when she saw me reading this book but it was fantastic. The author did a really good job capturing the love of wood and woodwork that I've had since I was a little boy. It's a short book, and it tells tales of New England and some of the history of wood in America. Not heavy reading by any means, and told in a way that keeps you interested.
John
Heavily illustrated meditation on the importance of wood in the early decades of America. Sloane gives some history on why architecture and agriculture developed the way they did in America and reveals forgotten lore and understanding on how wood works in buildings.
Ramona
Jun 16, 2014 Ramona is currently reading it
Eric sloan
Dorie
I came across Eric Sloane's books when I was a teenage wanna-be author researching a book set in early America. Well, reading through Sloane's books I enjoyed the research so much I never actually got around to writing the story. His books are wonderful descriptions of everyday life in this young country, and his penciled illustrations are absolutely wonderful and informative. I collect all his books now, and pick them up when I find them.
Foxtower
What a wonderful book! From making warped borads straight, to being covered with sawdust' to those persistent slivers in my fingers, this book certainly heightened my appreciation of the material. My favorite line is profound and has changed the attitude of many a customer who would like a ding or dent to dissapear. Quite simply put, "Wood always remembers".
Michael
A really quick, wonderfully illustrated book about how important a role trees have played in the life of man. Focus is particularly on the use of wood/trees by early Americans.
Morgan
Dec 28, 2008 Morgan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Morgan by: Collective-A-Go-Go
Traces a history of American woodworking backward through the centuries via a single variety of apple tree. Sloane is a genius, gifted both as a storyteller and illustrator.
Quillracer
More about wood than you ever want to know presented in an interesting format that reads more like a novel or collection of short stories than a non-fiction work.
Holly
So delightfully well put-together. Full of fascinating information whether or not you're a woodworker. The line drawings are amazing.
Hellkitten
excellence ... very interesting and thought provoking treatise about wood and trees. More than meets the eye.
Jonathan
Eric Sloane collects woodlore and some history of material culture in this book about the many uses of wood.
John
The author shares his reverence for wood in such a manner that you just want to go outside and hug a tree.
Edmund
Sep 24, 2007 Edmund rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with no direction in life.
This is the kind of book you end up reading when you take acid in San Francisco.
Peopleburger
Joe, you gave me this book. It rules. Thank you.
JP
Poetic, simple, and informative. I bought a copy.
Scott
Oct 23, 2007 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nostalgia lovers
Eric Sloane talks about wood and its history.
Alejandro Caycedo
In the pursuit of excellence, this is a real gem.
Josh Stabler
Outstanding illustrations.
Corinne
i am on my third copy of this book because i keep giving it away and wanting it back in my life again. my obsession with early american pioneer life has found heaven!
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Quiddity
Quiddity marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Puresky
Puresky marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Eric Sloane (born Everard Jean Hinrichs) was an American landscape painter and author of illustrated works of cultural history and folklore. He is considered a member of the Hudson River School of painting.

Eric Sloane was born in New York City. As a child, he was a neighbor of noted sign painter and type designer Frederick W. Goudy. Sloane studied art and lettering with Goudy. While he attended th...more
More about Eric Sloane...
Diary of an Early American Boy A Museum of Early American Tools Our Vanishing Landscape Eric Sloane's An Age of Barns Eric Sloane's Weather Book