Start by marking “The King and the Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh: The Secret Partners” as Want to Read:

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In The King and the Cowboy, renowned historian David Fromkin reveals how two unlikely world leaders—Edward the Seventh of England and Theodore Roosevelt—recast themselves as respected political players and established a friendship that would shape the course of the twentieth century in ways never anticipated.

In 1901, these two colorful public figures inherited the leaders
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 27th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The King and the Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King and the Cowboy

David Bales
Pretty good history of the relationships between Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and son of Queen Victoria, (who became King Edward VII) Theodore Roosevelt and the psychologically disturbed nephew of Edward, (and grandson of Victoria, Kaiser Wilhelm II). During the late 19th century and after he became king, Edward tried to put together an alliance between France and Britain, (along with Russia) to block Germany, who as favored by Victoria, (Victoria considered herself and her family Germans, tri ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
The cover art first attracted my attention, then the title, then I stopped and pulled this slim volume out to read the blurb on the fly covers. It was about two men in history that have always caught my attention, King Edward VII, and President Theodore Roosevelt. In this novel we have a profile of each man and then we are shown how their politics and personal beliefs brought them together, when to the average person, it would have seen they were vastly apart.

Mr. Fromkin writes a very readable b
Lisa
I read Fromkin's book about the 'creation' of the modern MIddle East, A Peace to End All Peace, and was thoroughly impressed, so I had high hopes for this small book. I was very disappointed. The style was stilted, almost like he started and stopped and started again, and apparently his editors did the same when reading it! I forced myself to finish it because it was short, and I was hoping to find some insight by the end.

I found the premise - that these two world leaders were close allies - was
Deb
Interesting theory, but I would be wary of declaring that he really proved it (that Ed VII and TR were secret partners with a shared view that the US and GB must have a 'special relationship' in order to save the world from Ed VII's crazy nevvy kaiser bill.... The footnotes got fewer and farther between as the book ended.
John
Excellent book, filled with the reasons and portents of WWI. Interesting similarities and styles of TR and Edward VII that I had not known about. Short, quick book, well written.
Jordan
This is about the 20th book I've read about Theodore Roosevelt. While the book is not a bad book, the general idea of the book is not well proved by the end. Essentially it tries to show that there was some sort of secret collusion between the court of Edward VII and the 26th presidents cabinet. There clearly was, but really it just seemed like the typical sort of thing Roosevelt would do. Despite recent exhortations of warmongering in books such as "The War Lovers".. Roosevelt spent an inordina ...more
Bdalton
The thesis of this book is that Theodore Roosevelt and Edward VII of England were unlikely leaders and unlikely partners. They were both liberal imperialists who wanted their English speaking countries to dominate world politics. Edward VII was a playboy prince (his mother Queen Victoria was determined to outlive him - she was so disturbed by the idea of him becoming king) and this book provides quite a bit of information about his sex life. Theodore Roosevelt was selected as a Vice President be ...more
Teri
Judy
I've read several other books by David Fromkin, Professor of International Relations and Law at Boston University and liked them. This one not so much. The thesis is that Edward VII and Theodore Roosevelt, who both came to power in 1901, forged a secret partnership to move their countries closer and to isolate Germany on the European continent. He draws this conclusion using the Conference of Algeciras as his model. As you recall, this international conference was called to resolve the crisis in ...more
Keith
Conflict and intrigue within the British royal families has a long and sordid history often so complex that only the most dedicated Anglophile or students of British history seem capable of grasping it. However, friction within the family of one monarch: Queen Victoria, of the House of Hanover, had an impact on world history that lasts until today. At the end of the nineteenth century most of the royalty of Europe was so closely related that the origins of World War I seem to have been based on ...more
Ray
In this relatively modest book, "The King and the Cowboy", David Fromkin sets out to make the point that Theodore Roosevelt and England's King Edward VII developed a secret partnership which redefined the alliances of the major European powers just prior to World War I. There appears to be some merit to that claim, but the details of the working relationship appear far from conspiratorial.

On the other hand, one part I appreciated in the book was the biographical sketches of the royal families o
Rick
A really interesting account of two men who found themselves leading the two main English speaking countries in the world in the very early 1900's. Most of the book was an account of "Bertie" AKA King Edward VII in the years prior to his assuming the throne of England after the death of his mother, Queen Victoria. The book also goes into some detail about :Bertie's" nephew who would become Kaiser William II of Germany. Roosevelt's association with King Edward and their steps to keep Germany in c ...more
Gary
This is a very lightweight book giving superfluous bios of both TR & Edward VII. There is very little, if any, documentation of their relationship yet Fromkin asserts that their personal relationship had much to do with shaping the complex web of alliances that spawned WWI. Fromkin may be correct, but he failed to present the backup in this book.
Daniel
A really weak premise and confusing attempt to validate it. There isn't much relationship between the two main characters. Thus, the book is split into two barely related and almost young adult-like bios.
Good reading and adds a lot to understanding how America's role changed at the beginning of the 20th century. I also learned a lot about Edward VII, the British Monarchy and Teddy Roosevelt (one of my favorite presidents).
Chris King
Given the short length, a ton of information is simply glossed over or ignored.
Susan
I've read three others by Fromkin but this one is a really lightweight. Interesting but it's full of places were you expect more detail. For example he notes that in the post-Civil War period the US government was completely corrupt. No examples. No details. Perhaps it's that Fromkin was trying to write a lighter-weight book but didn't do so consistently. The relationship between the Edward VII and Theodore Roosevelt (who never actually met!) does not come off as all that significant.
Mary
Aside from the really interesting chapter about how weird Kaiser Wilhelm II was (citations from John Rohl's biography which I now want to read) there wasn't much here. I thought for a while that it was written for junior high school readers, but it actually was written for adults. Fromkin is a good writer and historian. I just don't know why he wrote this book in this way.
Rich
A very interesting look at the links between King Edward VII and Teddy Roosevelt, and the politics of their times. I just wish they had spent more time on the diplomatic manueverings and formations of the alliances that lead to WWI. That was treated too superficially for my tastes, but it has peaked my interest enought to look for more information on the subject.
Rich
Interesting--but a bit on the heavy side for me. The European and English monarchs of the late 1800's and early 1900's were a privileged bunch and clearly held great influence and power often achieved through strategic marriages to those of equal stature across country boundaries.
Interesting concept. I really liked the character sketches but the larger historical argument is a bit weak. Still, I can see this book working well in a World Civ intro course- it makes the interconnectedness of 19th century European royalty vividly clear.
Jlnpeacock
This is an interesting read. It is a biography and provides good information concerning the politics of the early 1900's. I have known very little about this time period and am enjoying enlarging my vision of the time.
Laurel
An interesting part of history I hadn't remembered or never learned. Could have used a little better editing--some repetition.
Tammy
Dec 07, 2011 Tammy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended in the book, Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading.
Jon Box
Interesting in many aspects, but not much depth on Roosevelt Edward VII connection.
Muslimah Wali
Muslimah Wali is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
  • Why England Slept
  • The Strange Death of Liberal England
  • The Long Week-End: A Social History of Great Britain, 1918-39
  • Roosevelt: The Lion and the Fox, 1882-1940
  • The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar
  • Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days
  • Plunkitt of Tammany Hall: A Series of Very Plain Talks on Very Practical Politics
  • Everything We Had: An Oral History of the Vietnam War
  • The Germans
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
  • Oh, Yikes!: History's Grossest Moments
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England
David Fromkin is a noted author, lawyer, and historian, best known for his historical account on the Middle East, A Peace to End All Peace (1989), in which he recounts the role European powers played between 1914 and 1922 in creating the modern Middle East. The book was a finalist for both the National Book Critics Circle Award and the Pulitzer Prize. Fromkin has written seven books in total, with ...more
More about David Fromkin...
A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War in 1914? The Way of the World: From the Dawn of Civilizations to the Eve of the Twenty-first Century In The Time Of The Americans: FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Marshall, MacArthur-The Generation That Changed America's Role in the World Kosovo Crossing: American Ideals Meet Reality On The Balkan Battlefields