Start by marking “Let the Right One In” as Want to Read:
Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  63,063 Ratings  ·  4,690 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Twelve-year-old Oskar is an outsider; bullied at school, dreaming about his absentee father, bored with life on a dreary housing estate. One evening he meets the mysterious Eli. As a romance blossoms between them, Oskar discovers Eli's dark secret - she is a 200-year-old vampire, forever frozen in childhood, and condemned to liv
Published 2009 by Quercus (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Right One In, please sign up.

Christina Young I recommend watching the Swedish version of the movie. It was really good. The American one was very very watered down. Technically the book is way…moreI recommend watching the Swedish version of the movie. It was really good. The American one was very very watered down. Technically the book is way more brash and violent and twisted and disgusting than both movies. But I definitely think the Swedish movie is great and would actually recommend watching it whether you read the book first or not.(less)
Misha There's a pretty disturbing scene involving a toothless child prostitute, another scene with a child giving a strip tease, and an attempted rape scene…moreThere's a pretty disturbing scene involving a toothless child prostitute, another scene with a child giving a strip tease, and an attempted rape scene near the end. (less)

Paul Bryant
Sep 24, 2009 Paul Bryant rated it liked it
Shelves: spooky-ookums, novels
I finally got my revenge on Sweden. For most of my life I’ve been bombarded with newspapers and radio telling me how Sweden is so much much very much absolutely completely better than Britain at practically everything. Here’s some random quotes from the BBC news archive :

“Sweden has probably the strongest freedom of information law anywhere in the world.”

“Sweden has one of the best staffed health services in the world. But as a parent, Sweden seems the perfect place to have children.”

“BBC's Joe
Manny
You know that bit at the beginning of Amadeus, where Salieri has composed this very uninspired little march, which he and the Emperor play for Mozart? Then Mozart sits down at the keyboard and says, hm, that's not quite right, is it? And he messes around with it for a couple of minutes, until he's suddenly transformed it into "Here's farewell to the games with the girls" from The Marriage of Figaro.

Well, it's like that Låt den rätte komma in and Twilight. John Ajvide Lindqvist has looked at Ste
Jason
Jul 02, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, 2011, reviewed
Yo, lesson for you, Stephenie: this is how you write a fucking vampire novel.

So you can run and tell THAT.

Antoine Dodson
Stephen
Soiled…soiled and a bit emotionally off-kilter.

That’s the best I can do to describe how this book made me feel. It’s dark, morose and...really…really...REALLY…creepy. Not strange sounds and creaking doors creepy. Creepy like that "overly affectionate" uncle who stares at you too often and always wants a hug that lasts for an inappropriate length of time. That kind of creepy.

This book oozes it.

The working class Swedish suburb where the story takes place feels dingy, depressing and rundown. The p
Kemper
After watching the Swedish movie this book is based on, I thought it was an intensely creepy film and promptly got the book to check out the full story. I figured that the planned American film version would be a pale shadow of the original because there’s no way that a Hollywood movie studio is going to show that messed up tale in it’s original form to audiences in the U.S. Little did I know that even the Swedish producers didn’t have the collective nutsack to give us the full story on how godd ...more
Kat Kennedy
Imagine for a moment that you were at an event, like the 1995 Rugby World cup where South Africa both hosted and won. Imagine being there in the heat of that moment - the cheer and ebulation. That light, almost unreal sense that the world has faded away and there is only that moment. Nothing else is important and you want to quietly capture the complete bliss you are experiencing and put it in a bottle somewhere. Hopefully at some future date you can take it out and rekindle those emotions and b ...more
Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

I can't even find the words to describe how much I LOVED this novel. But let me start by warning Twilight lovers that this book is not about sexy sparkly vampires and teenage love. If you are not ready to read about ugly realities of human life, do not open this book.

It is not an easy book to read. The story is complex and involves many characters, whose presence sometimes is just momentary. The action moves from one character to another very quickly. But once you und
Melissa
Oct 11, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, thriller
Dear Stephenie,

This is how you write a "vampire" book.

Sincerely,

The World
Kristen
Terrifying, engrossing and a book that encompasses many different topics. Not just a story about vampires; this book takes on such issues as bullying, revenge, pedophilia, prostitution, drug use, alcoholism and the sheer desperation of loneliness. Beautifully written and terribly disturbing. This book sets the bar for the genre.
Frankie
Oct 01, 2013 Frankie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seen-movie, 2015, sweden
Loved it.
Scary as hell and so violent.
Think i shat myself along with Tommy in that basement.
The first and probs only vampire book I will ever read.
Loved it. And loved both films.
Shovelmonkey1
Jul 03, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: my sister
I finished reading “Let the right one in” last night and immediately started reading a book about some nice people having a nice Catholic life in a nice part of Northern Ireland with a nice summer house and a nice family. It was all very nice. (for those of you who are wondering the nice book is The Heather Blazing by Colm Toibin - it’s on the 1001 books list.)

I’ve had this nice book on my shelf for about three years and never bothered to read it till now. So, why now? I can only conclude that s
Christy
Sep 29, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True horror lovers, those who want a REAL vampire story--not a glittered up one
Wow!!!!!
One of my all time faves, hands down....

Best writing and characterization I've read in a long time! (Not to mention best horror book--ever.) I am in awe of Lindqvist's ability to write, it is impossible for me to enjoy a book without great writing and the translation was so spot on it did not read like one at all.

Sweden, a place I've never been, became real to me without having to put much of my imagination to work. The streets, stores, housing, woods--everything was laid out so well, as
Edward Lorn
Aug 13, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52-in-52-2015
The character writing is phenomenal. The story is brutal and unsettling and, at times, eerie. It is not only one of the best vampire novels I've read, but one of the best horror novels I've ever come across. Deserves to be shelved with the greats.

Håkan and Eli's reunion is now one of my top five most disturbing scenes in literature. It will be a long time before I get that vile shit out of my head, if I ever do.

In summation: This review is short because I have nothing bad to say about Let the R
Tanu Gill
Mar 28, 2016 Tanu Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book! Such a thrilling, keeping-you-hooked type of story! Thank you, Kavita, for recommending (your version of recommending anyway :-P) this book to me.

This is such a marvellous piece of writing. The words, the story, the characters... I feel soaked, coated with the amazingness of this work by the author. I feel like if I ever meet the honourable person, I would just bow down in sheer awe...

The secondary characters (and there was a spotlight on a squirrel of all things for a short time
Char
For some reason, I thought this was a YA tale. Where the hell did I get that from? I purchased it anyway, about 2 years ago, but just haven't had the chance to read it yet. Recently, I saw the audio available at my library, so I downloaded this bad boy and, wow-what fun!

There are thousands of ratings and reviews on this book, plus there's a movie, so what more can I contribute to this conversation? Not that much! I enjoyed the main characters, I enjoyed how the issues dealt with herein-bullying,
Joe Valdez
Jan 01, 2014 Joe Valdez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I listed the things that scared me most, vampires running around looking for blood wouldn't rate in my top 10. They wouldn't rate in my top 50. That said, John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let the Right One In (translated and distributed in the U.S. as Let Me In) unsettled me in multiple ways. I actually started reading it in 2012, then again in 2013, before finally making it through its house of horrors. And I'm sure glad that I did.

The title is a play on the Morrissey tune "Let the Right One Slip In"
Helen Stavraki
Jul 08, 2016 Helen Stavraki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Παράθυρο, σ' ανοίγω:
να μπει το φως, να βγει η ζωή.
Σαίξπηρ, ''Ρωμαίος και Ιουλιέτα''

Αυτό το βιβλίο ήταν για μένα μια αναγνωστική ρουφήχτρα που με τράβηξε στη δίνη της απο τις πρώτες σελίδες.
Διαβάζεται απολαυστικά ακόμη και απο αναγνώστεςπου δεν ειναι λάτρεις της γοτθικής σκοτεινιάς και του ζοφερού σκηνικού-παρόλο που έχει σκηνές σκληρές και αιματοβαμμένες σε τέλεια περιγραφή και αποτύπωση για οργιώδη φαντασία- γιατί καταφέρνει να δημιουργήσει ενα εξαιρετικό λογοτεχνικό αποτέλεσμα ανεξαιρέτως
Nicole
Feb 11, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this story when I discovered the movie. I enjoyed the film so much I wanted to know more. "Let the Right One In" is in some ways unrelentingly grim. There a lot of horrifying things in it that have absolutely nothing to do with the supernatural, especially if you stop to really thing about them. The horror itself is good too. I've read tons of vampire fiction and find this to be a truly refreshing take on the genre. In terms of the characters, I thought both Oskar and Eli were very ...more
Jeff
Dec 26, 2008 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having seen the film before reading the novel, I'm less impressed than I might have been had the experiences been reversed. I was engaged throughout, but compared to Lindqvist's screenplay, the novel felt bloated and overtly prurient (while Tomas Alfredson's film was more atmospheric, nuanced, erotic, morally ambiguous, and mesmerizing). Every episode cut from the novel during the adaptation process was absolutely necessary; and a character central to the novel (Haken) was whittled down to just ...more
Kasia
It's bumming me out. 50 pages in and I'm giving up. I don't think I can take this much gore any longer. It's disturbing. I need at least one likable character - someone to root for, only then I can take in gore, serial murderers, pedophilia and such. Without somebody to identify with, suffering through one violent description after another is no fun. This was no fun.

And now I'm fighting this urge: I want to crawl in under the table, wrap myself up in a blanket, stuck a thumb into my mouth and r
Esteban del Mal
Mar 15, 2010 Esteban del Mal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who wonder what a baby made by Bram Stoker and William Golding would look like
Jadranka
Mar 07, 2013 Jadranka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Švedska, jesen/zima 1981.godine, predgrađe Stokholma, mrak, šuma i prijateljstvo između sasvim običnog dečaka Oskara i već na prvi pogled poprilično neobične devojčice Eli.
Lindkvist je uspeo u onome što je na prvi pogled delovalo kao nemoguće, a to je da roman koji pripada žanru horora učini još mračnijim i zlosutnijim.
"Pusti pravog da uđe" nije samo još jedna u nizu zastrašujućih priča o vampirima, već predstavlja i osvrt na ozbiljne probleme u društvu kao što su: nasilje u školi, pedofilija,
Deborah Markus
Either horror has changed since the last time I was a big horror reader, or I am a certified wuss.

I have read a lot of Stephen King, Peter Straub, Shirley Jackson, Lovecraft, and Poe. Heck, my first fiction sales were horror stories.

All of this prepared me for reading Let Me In about as well as a security blanket and a PowerBar would prepare me to overwinter in Antarctica.

Where do I start? Okay, how about:

HOLY GUACAMOLE, IS THIS BOOK GORY.

Way gory. Beyond gory. Gorror upon gorror for pages at
Terry
Jun 27, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I am not generally a fan of vampires these days. Now don’t get me wrong: the idea is pretty cool. What’s not to like about blood-sucking undead immortals wreaking havoc amongst the cattle that is mankind? Add in some shape-shifting and immortal ennui and things can be pretty interesting (OK, the immortal ennui can get a bit…boring), but the fact of the matter is the trope’s been done to death (pardon the pun), hasn’t it? The vampire has so oversaturated the market these days that I feel like a d ...more
Scarlet Cameo
Oct 11, 2015 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-16

"Let the right one in
Let the old dreams die
Let the wrong ones go
They cannot do
What you want them to do"

Está una muy buena historia de vampiros que, a pesar de que los protagonistas son niños, de tierno no tiene nada. Explora los aspectos más deplorables de la vida: pederastia, soledad, tortura, muerte, alcoholismo, asesinato, acoso, drogadicción, obsesión y la perdida, literal y figurativa, de la vida misma. En general, todos los personajes tienen al menos una de estas características y, por
RandomAnthony
Mar 26, 2010 RandomAnthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let The Right One In is the best vampire book named after a Morrissey lyric I’ve ever read.

No, really, this is a top-notch novel. Set in a cold, northern European winter, the book focuses primarily on the interactions of Oskar, a teenage boy so scared of his tormentors he keeps a “piss ball” in his pants to soak up his urine, and Eli, a vampire appearing to be about the same age as Oskar. This is not a tender “innocent boy meets freak with a heart of gold” story. Lindqvist adds violent police, d
Scarlet
"There was something in her, something that was... Pure Horror. Everything you were supposed to watch out for. Heights, fire, shards of glass, snakes. Everything that his mom tried so hard to keep him safe from."

What an insidious read this book was. It snuck up on me so slowly - crawled, actually - that by the time I realized it was messing with my mind, I was in too deep to retract.

Let the Right One In also has the honor of being one of those rare horror novels that caused me to contend with
Teresa
Mar 26, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e5, n-suecia
Deixa-me Entrar é um romance com vampiros mas, em termos comparativos com outras obras do género, está muito distante do rosado Crepúsculo de Stephenie Meyer, aproximando-se mais da negrura de Bram Stoker. Ou seja, apesar de as personagens principais serem adolescentes, não é uma história romântica e bonita que faça sonhar e desejar ser mordida por um belo e sedutor vampiro. Aqui os vampiros não mordem, mastigam...

Passada na fria Suécia, esta é uma história muito violenta; não pelo vampirismo, m
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my GIFTS AND GUILTY list.

Regardless of how many books are already queued patiently on my reading list, unexpected gifts and guilt-trips will always see unplanned additions muscling their way in at the front.

This is one creepy as frak vampire story.
Pretty much
Belinda
Jan 10, 2009 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contempopop, spooky, meh
Call this one "The Anti-Twilight." They had me at "the Swedish Stephen King." Um, not so much.

Easily the most *interesting* read in a long time. 4 stars instead of 5, or 3, because the story--just the pure story? Meh. In itself, only just compelling enough to keep me reading. But the characters--OH, the characters. I ached for every one of them. For a classic co-dependent like me, looking into the lonely, heartache-ridden lives in this book is pure agony...although most of the characters are hop
  • Carmilla
  • The Light at the End
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • The Moth Diaries
  • Lord Of The Dead
  • Exquisite Corpse
  • Anno Dracula (Anno Dracula, #1)
  • A Stir of Echoes
  • The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror
  • Summer of Night
  • Night Watch (Watch #1)
  • The Rising
  • Fevre Dream
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • Varney the Vampire; or, The Feast of Blood
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
John Ajvide Lindqvist (John Erik Ajvide Lindqvist) is a Swedish author who grew up in Blackeberg, the setting for Let the Right One In . Wanting to become something awful and fantastic, he first became a conjurer, and then was a stand-up comedian for twelve years. He has also written for Swedish television.

His Let the Right One In was a bestseller in Sweden and was named Best Novel in Translati
More about John Ajvide Lindqvist...

“Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another.” 136 likes
“Are you OLD?"
"No. I'm only twelve. But I've been that for a long time.”
109 likes