Start by marking “Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home: No-Nonsense Advice that Will Inspire You to CLEAN like the DICKENS” as Want to Read:

When Thelma Meyer tells it to you, she tells it straight: Clean the kitchen daily! Don't waste anything (not even the water leftover from those potatoes you just boiled)! Always work hard! This philosophy meant that when Thelma's daughter Monica founded Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products (named after her mom), the products were designed to work hard for you.

Now for the first
Flexibound, 240 pages
Published March 2nd 2009 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home

Anna Balasi
Mar 03, 2009 Anna Balasi rated it it was amazing
There are too many how-to books out there that teach you how to clean in various ways. There's the New Age approach, where cleaning is supposedly related to your Chi and that cleaning lets the good air flow into your Karma and the bad flow out (or something to that effect), then there's the Technical approach, where the how-to guide is very informative, very thorough, and most importantly, very sterile (so to speak, which is to say: It's boring as all heck). Either way, such books will likely ne ...more
Danielle
Jan 18, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it
This book is impressively extensive in its breadth and detail on all things domestic. The most ridiculous part about this book is that I remember my mom doing a lot of the things in it (or making us do them) and I calculate the amount I currently do to be about 1/8 of them. The idea of having specific chores each day of the week is pretty helpful, but the once a week/month/year things in this are a bit beyond me. I can safely say I have never vacuumed the vent of a dryer . . . or even thought th ...more
Sally
Oct 30, 2009 Sally rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed
Admittedly, I could use some cleaning advice. But this gal and I live in such different worlds, I'm having a hard time taking this book to heart.

1. chandeliers. really?
2. no kids are allowed in her bedroom. mine LIVE in mine
3. dust the lampshades every two weeks. you mean not just when you move?
4. her phone has a cord
5. her knick-knacks are numbered and listed in a notebook (that presumably can be located) so that if/when she passes, folks know what they're all about
Lynette (TheJadedReader)
"I believe in having a clean house, but I'm not one to have a perfect house. I like neatness and I like to see my home in an orderly fashion- I don't appreciate clothes or towels lying around- but I'm not a meticulous housekeeper.... In general, the house just has to be clean enough and uncluttered. I like to focus on the big picture- getting the chores done daily so there's more time to enjoy life. It's all in the way you look at it. If you have a poor attitude, life is going to be a bear. You ...more
Wrighty
May 30, 2009 Wrighty rated it it was amazing
In this day and age where we are trying to encourage people to "go green"and to be more frugal and responsible with our environment and our spending, this book is a very handy guide to doing all of those things.

Thelma Meyers has been married fifty-four years and has raised nine children in a small town in Iowa. To honor her good old-fashioned values, her daughter Monica Meyer named her cleaning products after her. The Mrs. Meyer Clean Day products are "powerful against dirt, grease, grime, finge
Wendi
Sep 10, 2009 Wendi rated it really liked it
Perfect for : Personal Use, cleaning resource book, great gift for: wedding, someone moving into their first house/dorm/apartment, etc

In a nutshell: This book is filled with practical advice, including a very helpful suggested schedule for cleaning throughout the house (daily, weekly, monthly, etc). Once you build a routine, she has provided detailed suggestions for cleaning specific items, for example, the kitchen sink: the sink, the drain, the faucets, and for those trouble sinks - getting the
Amber
May 29, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-loan
I quite enjoyed this book. As a pleasant surprise, it wasn't just a PR campaign for their cleaning products. In fact, the products were only mentioned in the introduction and afterword. While there were some tips I won't be using (re-using washing machine water and hanging clothes outside just aren't going to happen), overall, this was a great reference guide for how to clean everything in the house. There is a suggested cleaning schedule daily/weekly/monthly/semi-annual/annual for a manageable ...more
Kristen
Jun 05, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
I have a love-hate relationship with this book. First, let's talk about the graphic design. This is one stylish, beautiful, fun, retro book! I almost want to buy it just because it's so darn cute to look at. And, as a long-time fan of the Mrs. Meyer's line of biodegradable and yummy-smelling cleaning products, it was really enjoyable to read about how the company was conceived and to read about the "real Mrs. Meyer". That being said, I was totally overwhelmed by the cleaning tips themselves. The ...more
Jen
Dec 09, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
I liked this book in that it offered great tips for cleaning pretty much everything in your house with "natural" products instead of those store-bought chemical soups that are so bad for you (and so expensive). One complaint: not once did she address how to clean throw-up out of carpet. You would think with nine children that would have come up at least once (pun intended). She did address cleaning different types of rugs and carpet, but something specific about vomit would have been helpful. S ...more
Ruth
Dec 15, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it
After thumbing through this book and reading bits and pieces, I've decided to put it on my keeper shelf, at least for a while. She gives step-by-step directions for most cleaning chores, and tells you what tools and cleaners to use. She's a big believer in vinegar, baking soda, dishwashing liquid and water. She's not a fan of noxious chemicals or expensive store-bought cleaning solutions.

I can't tell you this is a wonderful read that kept me glued to it all night--but then housekeeping never wa
Janet
Nov 05, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
Is it a reference book or a linear story? Well, it seems like it's trying to be both. I checked it out from the library to see if it would be worth purchasing as a reference, and while it was cute I can't see myself ever referencing it.

There were some scattered clever ideas but most of it is just common sense.

I appreciated how there were many charts on "if your X is made out of X material, use X to clean it" (i.e. countertops, granite, dishwashing solution and water). So at a glance you can just
Amanda
Picked up this book as I'm a fan of the cleaning products, plus the design & layout are great. This book is from the perspective of Mrs. Meyers herself, and while it's a handy reference covering almost EVERYTHING you could clean in your house, her voice kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Like that grandma or aunt you have that calls you "dearie" or "sweet one" and even though you know - YOU KNOW - they mean it genuinely & with love, it still makes you bristle or wince? It's like that.

May
Kathleen
the subtitle asserts that this book will actually inspire you to clean things, and it actually does! insanity!

this book has great time and money saving ideas. it also has thelma meyer's no-non-sense midwestern tips about raising a family--like how to get kids to finish their dinner and get them involved in family chores. thelma is adorable.

like 'organic housekeeping,' this is a book one should own, not get from the library. once you read it, you'll want to have it around to reference again later
Vantine
Dec 07, 2011 Vantine rated it liked it
There are zines available through Microcosm that cover the same material but chances are there is someone on your gift list who would be more responsive to this format. She provides practical advice on using common household materials to clean almost anything. No one needs to clean everything she lists but pick and choose what is useful to you.

I really see this as a book to be skimmed more than a book to be read cover-to-cover.
Morninglight Mama
Jan 16, 2016 Morninglight Mama rated it it was amazing
I LOVE lists, and even though I may not love it, I do spend a lot of time trying in vain to keep my home clean despite the valiant efforts of the three little ones to undo all that hard work. Mrs. Meyer provides a complete list of helpful tips, simple cleaning solution recipes and logical schedules for just about every possible home care need. This is a book that I know will get pulled off the shelf for frequent consultations!
Michelle
Nov 17, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
This is a good, no-nonsense practical guide on how to clean everything in your house. Mrs. Meyer's gives the type of cleaning advice that your grandmother and her mother would tell you. There's really no secrets, just handy and basic cleaning advice. It's very well-organized and is broken down into cleaning the kitchen, bedrooms, laundry, outdoors, etc. It's a very useful book to have, and I will definitely get lots of use out of it!
Dianna
Apr 09, 2009 Dianna rated it it was ok
I'm just not a big fan of this book. I can't get past the silly writing style and the words in all caps inserted everywhere. The graphic design is a bit much, too; in my opinion it takes away from the content. And, last of all, while there are many good cleaning tips, I didn't see anything spectacular. Most of it's just common sense.
Robyn
Jan 09, 2013 Robyn rated it liked it
This book was different from what I was expecting. Not really a book you would just sit down and read cover to cover. It is almost like pintrest for cleaning. Tons of little bits of advice about everything. Mrs Meyers shows her age though and some of the cleaning tips are out of date. I have a deep respect for her though for raising 9 children.
Amber
Nov 12, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
A book that is better to own than to burrow from the library. So if your a beganner at natural solutions you'll have it to refer back too.
I like the Meyer's products so it was just interesting to read her routine with so many children in the home but I also like all the natural solutions to things instead of clouding the home with harmful chemicals.
Stephanie
Apr 08, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
I don't know what made me want to read a cleaning book...maybe because it's easier and more fun then actually cleaning? :)

Love the Mrs. Meyer's line of cleaning products and this book was fun to skim through - lots of good tips and stories from Mrs. Meyers herself, an Iowa homemaker and mother of nine.
Andrea
Nov 29, 2016 Andrea added it
I love Mrs. Meyer's books so I was excited to read this book! It was interesting to hear about her big family and how she raised so many kids using some older techniques that have gone to the wayside in today's fast paced ways.

Her daughter is actually the creator of the line of cleaning products. Also the line Caldera that is a high-end version of Mrs. Meyer's line.
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2011 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Boooo. This book takes you back to the pre-Women's Lib days (but in a bad way). The tips are not helpful, and the book is not inspirational unless you want to spend your whole life cleaning. Boo, hiss.
Jennifer Failla
Jul 23, 2012 Jennifer Failla rated it it was ok
Fun little read in terms of family history and a few good tips. Sound strategies for cleaning (i.e. cleaning schedules, seasonal needs) but the many cleaning tips with white vinegar I actually already use.
Kelly
May 03, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book by the mother of the CEO of Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home cleaning products tells you to clean everything with vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice! I was surprised they weren't plugging their products!
Clarice
Mar 05, 2009 Clarice marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-finish-later
So, now we have to READ books telling us how to clean, lol. This came highly recommended and I like it so far. Inspiration is what I need for sure. Funny story, it was sitting on my kitchen counter when I came back from being out of town, and my husband thought my Mom had left it for me.
Liz De Coster
Mar 31, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
A handy guide to pretty much everything cleaning. Especially recommended for those who prefer to clean with non-toxic ingredients. I did find the folksy narrative voice wore a bit thin, but I guess if I survived 9 kids, I'd brag too.
Evan
Jun 24, 2010 Evan marked it as to-read
Recommended to Evan by: Rebecca
Shelves: domestics
Man, do I need this book...
Relyn
Jul 13, 2011 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: homemakers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on the library website
Shelves: homekeeping
This was a great book full of helpful hints. It's not really the kind you want from the library only. I plan to buy it so that I can have it to refer to as needed.
Connie
May 24, 2009 Connie rated it liked it
whatever. still don't want to clean...
Rebecca
I don't know why it's so satisfying to read about cleaning, yet so hard to actually do it...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Apartment Therapy's Big Book of Small, Cool Spaces
  • Be Thrifty: How to Live Better with Less
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Reluctant Entertainer, The: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • The House that Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine
  • How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System
  • The Gentle Art Of Domesticity
  • The Better World Shopping Guide: How Every Dollar Can Make a Difference
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • Little House Living: The Make-Your-Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Restore. Recycle. Repurpose.: Create a Beautiful Home
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living
People are always asking, "Is Mrs. Meyer a real person?" Well by golly, I'm here to confirm it once and for all. My name is Thelma Meyer, and my daughter started Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day to honor my good old-fashioned values. I'm retired now, but I have cleaned my own home for more than 40 years and believe me, after raising nine children I know a little something about cleaning.

So no, I'm not a cl
More about Thelma Meyer...