Start by marking “Dot The Fire Dog” as Want to Read:
Dot The Fire Dog

Dot The Fire Dog

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Simple text and playful images come together in an appealing picture book about a day in the life of a fire dog. "A bold, engaging outlet for preschoolers' perennial fascination with firefighters...The rich paintings will reward readers as they comply with repeated requests for this likely hit." - The Horn Book
Published October 1st 2001 by Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dot The Fire Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dot The Fire Dog

RC
Feb 24, 2015 RC rated it liked it
This book has colorful illustrations that highlight the life of a fire dog and living in a fire house. The book shows what happens when the alarm goes off and the rescue begins. It also includes fire safety tips at the end.
Sae Heo
Mar 02, 2013 Sae Heo rated it it was amazing
The "Dot The Fire Dog" is the good book because its story apply to real life. Children can get new experience indirectly through this book. This book show what is the firefighter's job, and how they are processing until get emergency case. Children can get to knowlegde about firefighter's life through this book. This book very effective in children's lives.

Extension:
Teacher and children have discussion about how can they prevent many accident from fire. Then, teacher will give the information
Naomi
Aug 03, 2015 Naomi rated it it was ok
Colorful book for the pre to the early reader about the theme of the fire dog. Pretty expected, but kids may find it interesting..
Angelina
Nov 21, 2015 Angelina rated it liked it
A short story about Dot the Fire Dog and her duties. Good book to read for topics about Fire Safety.
Kellie
Apr 22, 2015 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, fiction
I'm pretty sure we've read most, if not all, of the "fire" books available in our local libraries. We now own two copies of this book, and the kids still pick it regularly as one of their library checkout choices. They apparently love it so much that each of them has to have a copy to hold at any point in time. The story is ok; the artwork is fantastic. I have no idea why my boys connect with this one so much, but they do!
Neil Nicholson
This story is told by Dot, the fire dog. The story starts by giving a tour of the firehouse. Dot also shows us what the firefighters do when they are not answering an emergency. Then there is a small need for the firemen, and they're off in their shiny red truck. This would be a good book to prepare students for a field-trip to the fire station or just to talk about "hometown heroes". I recommend this book for prek through 2nd grade.
Mason, Natalie & Oliver
Jan 04, 2008 Mason, Natalie & Oliver rated it it was amazing
It's fire safety week here, and my son came home from Kindergarten with this book he found at the library. I'm sure it was recommended. Anyway, the story is OK, but the back page is AWESOME for parents to teach their children about fire safety - a list of tips of things to do if there is a fire. So for that it's getting 5 stars.
Sharena
Jul 11, 2011 Sharena added it
Shelves: animals
I like this book because it explains what happens at the fire station when there is an emergency. Although it's a cool book to read, children can learn something new that may be important. This can be a teachable moment where you discuss saftey rules and what to do in an emergency.
Ina
Oct 26, 2013 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Dot is a dalmatian that lives with a fire crew. This book captures the day-to-day life of a fire crew, and the excitement of hearing the alarm bell and racing off to a fire with simple text and big beautiful illustrations - all featuring Dot.
Kathy
May 03, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: e-picture-books
Dot the fire dog lives in the firehouse and sleeps by the firefighters big rubber boots. Dot wears a helmet just like a fireman and Dot is a hero! Descriptive text and corresponding pictures make this book good for new readers.
Rebecca Dean
This is a good book if you are having a lesson over fires or going to take a trip to the fire station. Dot the Fire Dog has great illustration.
Elizabeth S
Jun 07, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-picture
2 1/2 stars. Simple text, decent pictures. Not much to the story. The last page is a list of fire safety rules.
Kathleen
Nov 30, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firefighters and dogs are both very popular with my story time groups. They loved this story about a firedog.
Steve Boman
Dec 10, 2013 Steve Boman rated it really liked it
Good book for lessons on fire safety/firefighters. Children always love stories with animals, as well.
Wakana
Jun 08, 2009 Wakana rated it it was amazing
One of my 1 1/2 yr old son's most favorite books ever --- I must have read it more than 100 times.
Tania
Dec 07, 2010 Tania added it
Shelves: safety
great book to use to teach children about safety and what goes on at a firestation.
Becky Loader
Sep 15, 2014 Becky Loader rated it it was amazing
Great pictures and a wonderfully paced story about a Dalmatian.
Emma
Feb 15, 2016 Emma rated it liked it
Dot the fire dog takes us through the day of a dog firefighter.
Jennifer Ho
Apr 30, 2010 Jennifer Ho rated it liked it
A good book to use to teach children about fire safety.
Alcey
Megs
Megs rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Tori Baker
Tori Baker marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Tracey
Tracey added it
Apr 03, 2016
A
A rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Crestwood
Crestwood rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
  • The Ant and the Grasshopper
  • Silly Tilly
  • One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims
  • Trashy Town
  • Two Crazy Pigs (level 2) (Hello Reader)
  • Pet Show!