Start by marking “Dot The Fire Dog” as Want to Read:
Dot The Fire Dog

Dot The Fire Dog

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Simple text and playful images come together in an appealing picture book about a day in the life of a fire dog. "A bold, engaging outlet for preschoolers' perennial fascination with firefighters...The rich paintings will reward readers as they comply with repeated requests for this likely hit." - The Horn Book
Published October 1st 2001 by Blue Sky Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dot The Fire Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dot The Fire Dog

Kellie
Jan 30, 2014 Kellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I'm pretty sure we've read most, if not all, of the "fire" books available in our local libraries. We now own two copies of this book, and the kids still pick it regularly as one of their library checkout choices. They apparently love it so much that each of them has to have a copy to hold at any point in time. The story is ok; the artwork is fantastic. I have no idea why my boys connect with this one so much, but they do!
Sae Heo
The "Dot The Fire Dog" is the good book because its story apply to real life. Children can get new experience indirectly through this book. This book show what is the firefighter's job, and how they are processing until get emergency case. Children can get to knowlegde about firefighter's life through this book. This book very effective in children's lives.

Extension:
Teacher and children have discussion about how can they prevent many accident from fire. Then, teacher will give the information
Neil Nicholson
This story is told by Dot, the fire dog. The story starts by giving a tour of the firehouse. Dot also shows us what the firefighters do when they are not answering an emergency. Then there is a small need for the firemen, and they're off in their shiny red truck. This would be a good book to prepare students for a field-trip to the fire station or just to talk about "hometown heroes". I recommend this book for prek through 2nd grade.
Mason & Natalie
It's fire safety week here, and my son came home from Kindergarten with this book he found at the library. I'm sure it was recommended. Anyway, the story is OK, but the back page is AWESOME for parents to teach their children about fire safety - a list of tips of things to do if there is a fire. So for that it's getting 5 stars.
Sharena
Jul 11, 2011 Sharena added it
Shelves: animals
I like this book because it explains what happens at the fire station when there is an emergency. Although it's a cool book to read, children can learn something new that may be important. This can be a teachable moment where you discuss saftey rules and what to do in an emergency.
Ina
Dot is a dalmatian that lives with a fire crew. This book captures the day-to-day life of a fire crew, and the excitement of hearing the alarm bell and racing off to a fire with simple text and big beautiful illustrations - all featuring Dot.
Kathy
Dot the fire dog lives in the firehouse and sleeps by the firefighters big rubber boots. Dot wears a helmet just like a fireman and Dot is a hero! Descriptive text and corresponding pictures make this book good for new readers.
Rebecca Dean
This is a good book if you are having a lesson over fires or going to take a trip to the fire station. Dot the Fire Dog has great illustration.
Elizabeth S
2 1/2 stars. Simple text, decent pictures. Not much to the story. The last page is a list of fire safety rules.
Kathleen
Firefighters and dogs are both very popular with my story time groups. They loved this story about a firedog.
Steve Boman
Good book for lessons on fire safety/firefighters. Children always love stories with animals, as well.
Wakana
One of my 1 1/2 yr old son's most favorite books ever --- I must have read it more than 100 times.
Tania
Dec 07, 2010 Tania added it
Shelves: safety
great book to use to teach children about safety and what goes on at a firestation.
Becky Loader
Great pictures and a wonderfully paced story about a Dalmatian.
Emma
Dot the fire dog takes us through the day of a dog firefighter.
Jennifer Ho
A good book to use to teach children about fire safety.
Mandy
Mandy added it
Oct 27, 2014
Art Kellenberger
Art Kellenberger marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Dottie Kinion
Dottie Kinion marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Us
Us added it
Oct 11, 2014
Debbie Defreese
Debbie Defreese marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Blanco Meyers
Blanco Meyers marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
My Beautiful Child Trick-Or-Treat, Smell My Feet! Sun & Moon: A Giant Love Story My House Policeman Lou And Policewoman Sue