Start by marking “Why I Am a Christian” as Want to Read:
Why I Am a Christian

Why I Am a Christian

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Why Jesus? Perhaps you have had the funny feeling that God wants to get your attention. Or maybe you're intrigued with what you've heard about Jesus. Or maybe you're simply looking for meaning and direction in your life. John Stott has spent a lifetime wrestling with questions about Jesus both personally and in dialogue with skeptics and seekers around the globe. Now in Wh ...more
Published December 12th 2003 by InterVarsity Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Why I Am a Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I Am a Christian

BJ
Good little apologetic book by one of the most prominent evangelicals at the turn of the twentieth century, John Stott. In 1927, the atheist Bertrand Russell, gave speeches that become his book "Why I am Not a Christian", while Stott's "Why I Am a Christian" makes the case for Christianity. One thing I always appreciate about Stott, as a biblical commentator and Christian voice, is that he consistently writes with such clarity. This book is no different. In it he gives seven reasons for why he i ...more
Heidi
Incredible, Christocentric book!

Note: If the author did believe in annihilation-ism (which Wiki says he at least deemed a possibility), he was obviously in error and that belief is unscriptural.

But I don't recall the topic of annihilation-ish brought up in this book, and "Why I am a Christian" was over-all very good and enjoyable!
L.a.
I enjoyed this book very much. It was a quick read, yet held good information and explanation. Stott wrote something here very accessible to the average person. You don’t have to be a Bible scholar to understand it or extract from it.

His arguments for why he is a Christian are laid out one at a time in six chapters with the seventh and final chapter being his conclusion. I have listed the chapter titles and written my summary below each.

1. The Hound of Heaven
Explaining that Christ pursued him n
MGMaudlin
A classic testimony and apologetic for the faith, but strangely not very compelling, despite how much I respect John Stott and am indebted to his books and teachings. His precise thinking and sound teaching strikes me as surprisingly unchanged since I first read him decades ago--but in a way that seems like he stopped growing and developing. I admit my judgment sounds presumptuous, and I know from my personal acquaintance with John Stott that he was formal and strategic in terms of how much he d ...more
Chris
This is a short (7 chapters, 133 pages) book written for a non-Christian audience. I read it as part of my recent quest to find books that a person interested in Christianity might find helpful. The last book I had read, Jesus without Religion by Rick James, did an admirable job in telling the story of the gospels in a fresh and appealing way. Stott takes a more philosophical approach, interacting with statements by thinkers such as Bertrand Russell and Nietzsche as he explains the principles of ...more
Liz
Why I Am a Christian was written in response to Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not a Christian. The book feels like it was written to an older generation than the post-modern Gen X-ers, so I was surprised to find it was published in 2003. This book is a intellectual apologetic, convincing the reader about the truths of Jesus and Christianity rather than appealing to emotions or experiences.

I'm not sure how I feel about using this book as an evangelistic tool. On one hand, it might work for intellec
Tim
An outstanding evangel on the Christian Faith. Scott was a scholar of the highest credentials. His treatment of the reasons for his personal faith in Christ are cogent and are simple enough for most any reader to understand. He deals with many of the present day arguments against the faith. I highly recommend this book to believer and unbeliever alike.
Joe Haack
THIS BOOK CUTS THROUGH THE FOG.

I waddled off to seminary and got drunk on interesting peripheral issues, giving too much attention to the cultivation of ways to communicate them in the pastorate. That's an overstatement; but closer to the truth than I'd like to admit. Now as a pastor I am growing in my appreciation (and need) of clearly communicated first principles. Stott, rest in peace, wrote an amazing little booklet that meets this need and appreciation.

While not as witty as Lewis' Mere Ch
If one keeps the point of the book in mind, a response to Why I am an Atheist by Bertrand Russell, this is a good read. It is not as biographical as I expected considering the title but Stott makes it clear he is writing in the same format as Russell. I found it to summarize much of the reasoning behind my faith but I would not recommend it to a non-Christian as the reasoning can be somewhat circular at times because of the fundamental presumption that the Bible is true and the inspired word of ...more
Jerry
Clear, concise and persuasive account of why Christianity is true and wonderful.
David
Concise, excellent, persuasive summary of the case for becoming a follower of Christ.
Ken Lester
A very different apologetic, well thought out and organized. The outline of this book would make a good basis for a new believer's or new members class.
Hayley
I got this as a free audiobook download. So I figured "why not". It was short, only a few hours. There were a few interesting and enlightening things that I hadn't thought about before. But there was also a lot of circular reasoning (How do we know Jesus was really divine? Because he said so. How do we know he wasn't lying? Because he was divine... and we're back to "But, how do we know he was really divine?"). If you're already a Christian this book might strengthen your faith. But it's not goi ...more
Adam Shields
Full review at http://bookwi.se/why-i-am-a-christian...

Short review: This is appologetics like I think it should be done. It is primarily story and personal arguments. It is why John Stott became a Christian. He is not trying to argue you into the faith and he is not putting forth evidence to try and show you why you should be a Christian. He is telling his story. He shared the evidence and arguments that were moving to him. The audiobook is on sale at christianaudio.com for 98 cents until Sept
Janet Sung
Written more towards those who are seeking to learn about the Christian faith, I found this book to be a great reminder of how great and amazing God and Christianity is. The simple truths of Christianity were portrayed in ways that I had never really thought of before. It was wonderful and refreshing to be reminded of how we were all designed to love God. The invitation God has for us to accept Him into our lives is so simple, yet it will change us and transform us forever.
Kessia Reyne
I've read this book twice now and both times enjoyed the simplicity and sensitivity of John Stott's presentation. As a Christian myself, it was refreshing to hear my faith articulated in an introductory way; I found myself not only re-convinced but also more deeply grateful for the gift of the gospel. It would be an excellent book for sharing with those who are curious about Jesus.
Jonathan Miller
Very structured yet simple explanation of seven different reasons why Stott is a Christian. It reminded me a bit of Mere Christianity in that it was an introduction to Christian beliefs written for believers and non-believers. Also, like Lewis, Stott gives some priceless illustrations that may be used by those who share their faith on regular basis.
Matt Chapman
A wonderfully simple and engaging introduction to Christianity and a very refreshing read for every Christian. He writes on a very personal level, not simply explaining the facts of the Christian faith but also holding it up against other worldviews and explaining why Christianity is so compelling and such good news. Classic Stott!
Nate Walker
This will be my new go-to book to give to someone considering Christianity. It is very clear and concise - and has all the ingredients that drew me to the evangelical faith. I think its length (very short) makes it unique also among the other books I've read that are written for those considering the claims of Christ.
Wade
A very good statement of the beliefs and claims of Christianity by a great author. Stott writes at an easier-to-read level in this book that he writes in some of his other books, which make this book a bit more approachable for a larger audience.
Rus
In clear, concise, and personal language John Stott presents the reason for th shops that is wiin him. This is an excellent and easy read for new and mature believers and for non-believers.
Patrick
Very good. Not much different than other books of a similar nature, but it was enjoyable to read a basic, popular level apologetic for Christianity in John Stott's words.
Katie
This book has so much good stuff to think about. John Stott unashamedly explains Christ's call to him and subsequently to the rest of us.
David Aden
Enjoyed this book very much. Short, solid, yet refreshing and nourishing our faith.
Puan Sari
Bacaan di semester 3... Sungguh,semua karena anugrah...
Madelyn
reading aloud with family. Excellent! Read it before.
Fran Piercey
Excellent dissertation, a must read for every Christian.
Daniel
Reminded me of Mere Christianity. Enjoyed it!
Simon Etherton
An excelent and encouraging read. well worth it.
  • Concise Theology
  • The God Who Is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story
  • Faith and Reason: Searching for a Rational Faith
  • Now, That's a Good Question!
  • The Future of Justification: A Response to N. T. Wright
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • The Curate's Awakening
  • Why I Am Not a Calvinist
  • He Is There and He Is Not Silent
  • The Best Things in Life: A Contemporary Socrates Looks at Power, Pleasure, Truth & the Good Life
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Is the New Atheism Running on Empty?
John R. W. Stott is known worldwide as a preacher, evangelist and teacher of Scripture. He was ordained in 1945 and for most of his years has served in various capacities at All Souls Church in London, where he carried out an effective urban pastoral ministry. A leader among evangelicals in Britain, the United States and even around the world, Stott was a principal framer of the landmark Lausanne ...more
More about John R.W. Stott...
Basic Christianity The Cross of Christ Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today The Message of the Sermon on the Mount The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling

“God hides himself from intellectual dilettantes, but reveals himself in Christ to those who humbly seek him.” 0 likes
“The most significant factor lies elsewhere, and it is on this that I intend to concentrate in this first chapter. Why I am a Christian is due ultimately neither to the influence of my parents and teachers, nor to my own personal decision for Christ, but to ‘the Hound of Heaven’. That is, it is due to Jesus Christ himself, who pursued me relentlessly even when I was running away from him in order to go my own way. And if it were not for the gracious pursuit of the Hound of Heaven I would today be on the scrap-heap of wasted and discarded lives.” 0 likes