Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits

Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  984 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Watch your back! . . . How to spot and identify demons and other subversive spirits . . . And what to do next.
Demons, fairies, and fallen angels are everywhere. They lurk at crossroads, crouch behind doors, hide in trees, slip into beds, wait in caves, hover at weddings and childbirths, disguise themselves as friends, relatives-even disguise themselves as you. They are po...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Arcade Publishing (first published October 1st 1998)

Kaz
I don't know, I got this book back when I was younger, thinking it would be a cool read. Unfortunately, it seemed like a lot of what was in the book wasn't so well researched; or, if it was, differed greatly with other descriptions of the daemons presented that I've read. The one thing I will give it, is that it is absolutely a multi-cultural book, and for that gives an amazing look at the similarities in mythologies around the world.
Steve Cran
The Field Guide to Demons

Carol K. Mack

This nifty little volume is an encyclopedia of minor spirit being that live outside the realm of human life. The authors traverse through the lores of many cultures, defining the beings and then analyzing them. Often times these being are very mischievious cause trouble for the human folk. Sometimes , however these being can be quite helpful.

These demons/fairies come from 6 different realms. The domains are the : water, mountain, forests, deserts, domicile...more
Mariela
Something that I like about the review they had for this book was this From the Tommyknockers of North American mountain mines to the South African Mbulu that waits in the river for lone travelers, A Field Guide to Demons classifies these creatures by their domains--water, mountain, forest--rather than in alphabetical or cultural order, dishing out antique and contemporary lore on these most misunderstood of spirits.
Cary
I loved this book. It's an encyclopedia of sorts but is broken down into realms (water, mountain, psyche, etc.). The author gives an overview of each being but the best parts are the "lore" entries which generally give at least one folk tale on each being. The book also does a very good job of casting it's net among a variety of cultures making it a good tool in looking for similarities.

Kirsten
This is a totally fun, fascinating look at demons and malevolent spirits from all over the world. At times it is of necessity disappointingly brief in its descriptions, but the wide-ranging bibliography at the back of the book provides more than enough fodder for those who want to delve deeper into the subject.
Patricia
Great reference for fantasy and horror writers. I picked a subject and wrote a short story about the demon. Great fun
Joshua
An interesting collections of mythological creatures and their historical impact.
Trish
Demons, fairies, and fallen angels are everywhere. They lurk at crossroads, crouch behind doors, hide in trees, slip into beds, wait in caves, hover at weddings and childbirths, disguise themselves as friends and relatives—and even pretend to be you! They are powerful; they are protean; they are enchanting. And, to the uninformed, they are often invisible. This illustrated guide—the first of its kind—reveals the remarkable permutations of the demon and fairy species worldwide. Packed with lore a...more
Jay
I like reading about fairies and the like. I like indulging my childish side, what can I say. I also enjoy reading about various mythologies and religions, and this book also indulges that side.

Broken up into areas such as forests, deserts, domiciles and psyche, this 'guide' presents demons and the like that inhabit the world and where they live. It is also highly multicultural, with demons et al from Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, America and Australia. This wide-ranging research comes...more
Nick
Saying I've "read" this book might be a stretch. I've had it lying around for many years and through the course of flipping through it I've probably read most or all of the entries. I've always enjoyed having it around, and I think I'll continue to do so.

The book is written in a playful manner, acknowledging at the onset that its talking about mythological creatures, but sometimes slipping into sections wherein they are treated as real.

It IS a "field guide" so each entry is rather short. 1-4 pa...more
Kevin
A FIELD GUIDE TO DEMONS

This book serves well as a reference guide; as well it should, being that it is just that. The book is separated into 6 main sections: Water, Mountain, Forest, Desert, Domicile, and Psyche. The sections are arranged by location such as, North America, Japan and so on. Each reference tells a bit about the lore and also the dispelling and disarming techniques used to eradicate the demon.

This book is a good tool for horror writers and or fantasy writers. Any demon within th...more
Kim Graff
This is an odd book. I'm not sure if the Macks are kidding when they talk about the demons and the "sighting" of those demons and spirits as, what seems like, real events. Or if they really believe what they are writing...

That aside, I suppose this is a good starters guide (very starters, too, like if you knew nothing about anything supernatural related). The book is broken up in to categories (Water, Desert, Mountains, Psych, etc). I wouldn't say that it's a 100% accurate, either. Though, seei...more
Rusty

I found this book to be interesting. The information contained in this book was stimulating. I personally found slight humor in one part of the book. There is reference to a creature known as a Bunyip in this book, and for anyone who is a fan of the TV show "Charmed", you will remember that there is a Bunyip entry in the Halliwell's Book Of Shadows, it's this part that I found slightly funny, simply because what was supposedly a made up magical creature, might really be real.

However, if demons,

bernard underwood
Very cool

Very cool

everything you want to know about a small part of the supernatural world it is a good starter book a fun reading
Francisco Becerra
A fantastic collection of folklore tales from all over the world, presented as the warning they used to be to warn ourselves from our own inner monsters.
Morv
Jan 16, 2012 Morv rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supernatural buffs
This book can be take literally or can be taken as stories with morals behind them. I love books that tell you certain things about different cultures, while certain demons sound the same, they have different stories to go along with them, although the morals are the same, the way they reach them can be different.
I also like the fact that they sectioned each lot of demons with a different element so that it was clear where you were more likely to find them.
This is one of the rare books that I wo...more
Amy
a nice general introduction to the general facts and folklores of many demons & spirits. gorgeous woodcuts. fascinating. took a star off though, for the authors sometime cutesy and humorous approach to the book. i found it immature, girlish, and disrespectful to people's cultures. i mean, what's so funny about a six headed monster with a eight arms that rips off people's heads and eats their hearts? let's have some respect for different cultures and their historical folktales and not giggle...more
Zencefear
Most of these demons are pop culture icons.It's Cool to learn there origins and the culture that surrounds it... However i did feel like they could have added more details and maybe a short story to explain there effects on society...
Stephen Pearl
While this book has some interesting information I still hold it suspect do to the inaccuracies in the entry on the God Set as that falls within my area of expertise and what they wrote grated on me. The book did redeem itself somewhat with its discussion of the nature of Demons in the Buddhist tradition and at least avoided turning them into the mindless slavering harbingers of doom so common in the West. All in all, I don’t regret buying and reading it but I could hope for more for my time an...more
Jennifer Gallagher
Interesting anthology/encyclopedia about the mythology and lore surrounding supernatural creatures. To me it's reminiscent of a textbook that would be used at Hogwarts :-). It does concern me though, that the author seems go put a lot of stock into what she calls "dispelling and disarming techniques". These things aren't real - as far as I know - and yet there are legitimate ways to scare them off. Good "fairy tale" book but I wouldn't treat it as a "field guide".
Donald Kirch
This book was a fantastic volume of information. It takes almost all fears, demons, and creatures and places them in their elemental worlds, nations of origins, and logs their histories, motivations, and goals. Also, where able, it lets you know their weakness and means of destruction. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the world of evil or the unnatural.

Who knew that Pazzuzu was real?
I love this book, and have read it multiple times. This book really goes beyond the normal demons you are used to reading about, and introduces many unknowns while teaching about different cultures as well. Every time I read this book, it inspires me to write about these demons, or to research and learn more. If you like learning about mythologies and cultures, I highly suggest this book.
Tucker
An encyclopedic approach to a cross-cultural inventory of mythological demons. Reads like a bestiary. Despite their intent on killing humans in gruesome ways, demons turn out to be pretty funny because they are extremely stupid and can be outwitted at their own games. The authors take a Jungian approach to demons as a representation of the Shadow, the dark side of each person.
Michelle
I read this for preliminary research for an upcoming projects. I wanted something I could use to quickly compare across cultures and time periods and this delivers. It's a good place to start research to get an idea on what direction to go in. The entries are very concise, so it can no way be a main source of research. For my purposes, it did what I needed it to do.
Grace
Not awesome. But ok. I really don't have a lot to say about it. Many you have heard before. Many I don't think are 100% accurate. For example, there are things about the Inari in this book that I know to be false. Still, helpful in pointing out supernatural beings that I hadn't heard of before. I would do your own research after finishing this book.
Amanda Kearns
While this book is an inaccurate depiction of many of the listed folk lore entities, it also provides you with a sense of entertainment reading about the different cultural studies. I would recommend it personally to people looking for a change in what they know about spirits. I'd consider this book as a fiction book about what's already fiction.
Kristine
If you wanted to learn about some of the greatest, most interesting mythological characters of all time, or get an idea of what kind of mythological being would be great for a story or novel, then this is the perfect book. It tells you where the legend began, a brief description about the being, and other general information.
Ramen
This book has a good combination of familiar names--well, familiar if you've been reading about mythological monsters already--and unfamiliar. Each entry also has at least one of the original stories the spirit in question came from, providing some useful context to better understand what you're reading about.
lola
Dec 03, 2007 lola rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stupid people
the only thing i learned from this book is that i need to solicit a huge grant to go around the world studying demons and possession and then turn that into a well-written and comprehensive yet fascinating tome because apparently nobody else can pull it off, cough cough carol mack.
D V
I enjoyed this book because of the varying worldwide assessment and explanation of beliefs, myths and folklore...
Hopefully a newer version is in the wings with additions and modifications, if corrections are needed then a revised edition would be
great to explore!
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings From Myth and Magic
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • The History of Hell
The Chameleon Variant A Field Guide to Demons, Vampires, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits: Seven Getting Started

“When skies above were not yet named
Nor earth below pronounced by name
There was water...”