Start by marking “Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits” as Want to Read:
Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits

Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,385 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Watch your back! . . . How to spot and identify demons and other subversive spirits . . . And what to do next.
Demons, fairies, and fallen angels are everywhere. They lurk at crossroads, crouch behind doors, hide in trees, slip into beds, wait in caves, hover at weddings and childbirths, disguise themselves as friends, relatives-even disguise themselves as you. They are po
Published October 1st 2007 by Arcade Publishing (first published October 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits

Nandakishore Varma
I did not finish this book.

A motley crew from demons all over the world are jumbled together in this "Field Guide", with instructions on how to recognise them and possible protective measures. While the idea is interesting, I had several problems with this book.

1. It is too haphazard. Supernatural entities that the author categorises as "demons" are hauled in from all cultures, without any criteria for the choices made.

2. The descriptions are too simplistic. The author tries to strike a mock se
I don't know, I got this book back when I was younger, thinking it would be a cool read. Unfortunately, it seemed like a lot of what was in the book wasn't so well researched; or, if it was, differed greatly with other descriptions of the daemons presented that I've read. The one thing I will give it, is that it is absolutely a multi-cultural book, and for that gives an amazing look at the similarities in mythologies around the world.
This American Cover Floppy back was a joy to read! The easy to read chunks flowed quite well and I found myself finding it very easy to keep reading. It took me longer than expected, however, because it obviously is not one continuous story, and so when I did put the book down, I did not find myself compelled to pick it up again in any hurry. It was an interesting, slow read, that could have been read along side a heavier, story-based novel.
I found that it portrayed a lot of religion/cultures be
Steve Cran
The Field Guide to Demons

Carol K. Mack

This nifty little volume is an encyclopedia of minor spirit being that live outside the realm of human life. The authors traverse through the lores of many cultures, defining the beings and then analyzing them. Often times these being are very mischievious cause trouble for the human folk. Sometimes , however these being can be quite helpful.

These demons/fairies come from 6 different realms. The domains are the : water, mountain, forests, deserts, domicile
Sezin Koehler
Handy little primer on several different species of supernatural creatures and their roots. I was hoping it would have more a demonology bent to it, but the book uses an alternate meaning for demons and fae which was new and interesting, but not quite what I was looking for. Still, lots of great character inspiration in here and the book now sits on my reference book shelf next to my computer.
Despite the lurid title, this book has a focus beyond things that go bump in the night. The Macks look at pre-Christian ideas about spirits, particularly the Greek daimones and the idea of the genius loci that looked after sacred places. So the reader gets an idea of these spirits as primal forces as well as evil powers. And seeing the similarities in folklore across continents and through a wide span of time gives some keys to the psychological roots of our obsession with these 'subversive spir ...more
Something that I like about the review they had for this book was this From the Tommyknockers of North American mountain mines to the South African Mbulu that waits in the river for lone travelers, A Field Guide to Demons classifies these creatures by their domains--water, mountain, forest--rather than in alphabetical or cultural order, dishing out antique and contemporary lore on these most misunderstood of spirits.
I loved this book. It's an encyclopedia of sorts but is broken down into realms (water, mountain, psyche, etc.). The author gives an overview of each being but the best parts are the "lore" entries which generally give at least one folk tale on each being. The book also does a very good job of casting it's net among a variety of cultures making it a good tool in looking for similarities.

This is a totally fun, fascinating look at demons and malevolent spirits from all over the world. At times it is of necessity disappointingly brief in its descriptions, but the wide-ranging bibliography at the back of the book provides more than enough fodder for those who want to delve deeper into the subject.
Tracy Terry
Along with a chapter of 'Who's who in the domicile' this field guide covers creatures, some familiar, others not (at least to me), divided into the various realms of 'Water', 'Mountain', 'Forest' and 'Desert' in what I felt was a fairly comprehensive guide albeit one restricted by its relatively short length.

Covering demons, vampires and so on from all manner of cultures this is a wonderfully descriptive read in which the authors take us through not only a description of the various creatures b
Great reference for fantasy and horror writers. I picked a subject and wrote a short story about the demon. Great fun
Janet Eshenroder
Maybe one and a half stars. The book would be great for writers of fantasy and horror if they need to find a new slant, a different type of protagonist. The authors have collected stories/creatures from across the world, but it ends up being very superficial, the authors' gift being a determination to tract down stories rather than understand and interpret. Perhaps they feel understanding and interpretation is best left to the reader.
The authors do present a world-wide selection: any other-worl
An interesting collections of mythological creatures and their historical impact.
Troy Rodgers
There's not an option for an audio format listed for this, but I listened to it via Audible.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into this. I had a feeling like this was either a book that took itself way too seriously for the wanna-be goth crowd, in which case it might be free comedy, or it would simply be a who's who in the world of negative folklore. This book is decidedly of the latter type, for which I'm thankful. Hey, sometimes you just have to take a chance and see for yourself. Es
Demons, fairies, and fallen angels are everywhere. They lurk at crossroads, crouch behind doors, hide in trees, slip into beds, wait in caves, hover at weddings and childbirths, disguise themselves as friends and relatives—and even pretend to be you! They are powerful; they are protean; they are enchanting. And, to the uninformed, they are often invisible. This illustrated guide—the first of its kind—reveals the remarkable permutations of the demon and fairy species worldwide. Packed with lore a ...more
I like reading about fairies and the like. I like indulging my childish side, what can I say. I also enjoy reading about various mythologies and religions, and this book also indulges that side.

Broken up into areas such as forests, deserts, domiciles and psyche, this 'guide' presents demons and the like that inhabit the world and where they live. It is also highly multicultural, with demons et al from Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Africa, America and Australia. This wide-ranging research comes
Artful Existence
I like how this book broke down each demon, daemon, spirit, etc. according to their element. I also like how they include ways to banish the spirit if/when you come in contact with them and what happens if you cross their path. Great field guide, although I would imagine there are quite a few missing from the book. Either way, good book and a great addition to any occult library.
Saying I've "read" this book might be a stretch. I've had it lying around for many years and through the course of flipping through it I've probably read most or all of the entries. I've always enjoyed having it around, and I think I'll continue to do so.

The book is written in a playful manner, acknowledging at the onset that its talking about mythological creatures, but sometimes slipping into sections wherein they are treated as real.

It IS a "field guide" so each entry is rather short. 1-4 pa

This book serves well as a reference guide; as well it should, being that it is just that. The book is separated into 6 main sections: Water, Mountain, Forest, Desert, Domicile, and Psyche. The sections are arranged by location such as, North America, Japan and so on. Each reference tells a bit about the lore and also the dispelling and disarming techniques used to eradicate the demon.

This book is a good tool for horror writers and or fantasy writers. Any demon within th
Kim Graff
This is an odd book. I'm not sure if the Macks are kidding when they talk about the demons and the "sighting" of those demons and spirits as, what seems like, real events. Or if they really believe what they are writing...

That aside, I suppose this is a good starters guide (very starters, too, like if you knew nothing about anything supernatural related). The book is broken up in to categories (Water, Desert, Mountains, Psych, etc). I wouldn't say that it's a 100% accurate, either. Though, seei

I found this book to be interesting. The information contained in this book was stimulating. I personally found slight humor in one part of the book. There is reference to a creature known as a Bunyip in this book, and for anyone who is a fan of the TV show "Charmed", you will remember that there is a Bunyip entry in the Halliwell's Book Of Shadows, it's this part that I found slightly funny, simply because what was supposedly a made up magical creature, might really be real.

However, if demons,

bernard underwood
Very cool

Very cool

everything you want to know about a small part of the supernatural world it is a good starter book a fun reading
Francisco Becerra
A fantastic collection of folklore tales from all over the world, presented as the warning they used to be to warn ourselves from our own inner monsters.
Jan 16, 2012 Morv rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supernatural buffs
This book can be take literally or can be taken as stories with morals behind them. I love books that tell you certain things about different cultures, while certain demons sound the same, they have different stories to go along with them, although the morals are the same, the way they reach them can be different.
I also like the fact that they sectioned each lot of demons with a different element so that it was clear where you were more likely to find them.
This is one of the rare books that I wo
a nice general introduction to the general facts and folklores of many demons & spirits. gorgeous woodcuts. fascinating. took a star off though, for the authors sometime cutesy and humorous approach to the book. i found it immature, girlish, and disrespectful to people's cultures. i mean, what's so funny about a six headed monster with a eight arms that rips off people's heads and eats their hearts? let's have some respect for different cultures and their historical folktales and not giggle ...more
Most of these demons are pop culture icons.It's Cool to learn there origins and the culture that surrounds it... However i did feel like they could have added more details and maybe a short story to explain there effects on society...
Stephen Pearl
While this book has some interesting information I still hold it suspect do to the inaccuracies in the entry on the God Set as that falls within my area of expertise and what they wrote grated on me. The book did redeem itself somewhat with its discussion of the nature of Demons in the Buddhist tradition and at least avoided turning them into the mindless slavering harbingers of doom so common in the West. All in all, I don’t regret buying and reading it but I could hope for more for my time an ...more
Jennifer Gallagher
Interesting anthology/encyclopedia about the mythology and lore surrounding supernatural creatures. To me it's reminiscent of a textbook that would be used at Hogwarts :-). It does concern me though, that the author seems go put a lot of stock into what she calls "dispelling and disarming techniques". These things aren't real - as far as I know - and yet there are legitimate ways to scare them off. Good "fairy tale" book but I wouldn't treat it as a "field guide".
Donald Kirch
This book was a fantastic volume of information. It takes almost all fears, demons, and creatures and places them in their elemental worlds, nations of origins, and logs their histories, motivations, and goals. Also, where able, it lets you know their weakness and means of destruction. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the world of evil or the unnatural.

Who knew that Pazzuzu was real?
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Cryptopedia: A Dictionary of the Weird, Strange, and Downright Bizarre
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology
  • The New Encyclopedia of the Occult
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People
  • The History of Witchcraft and Demonology
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Signs, Symbols & Omens: An Illustrated Guide to Magical & Spiritual Symbolism
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures

“When skies above were not yet named
Nor earth below pronounced by name
There was water...”