Start by marking “We're All in the Same Boat” as Want to Read:
We're All in the Same Boat

We're All in the Same Boat

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Things aren?t going very well on Noah?s ark. The animals thought they were in for a great adventure, but as days turn into weeks and the rain just doesn?t stop, Noah fi nds himself with a boatload of cranky travelers?from antsy ants and bored bees to yelling yaks and zoned-out zebras. They?re going to have to learn to cooperate in order to save this voyage, and Noah has ju...more
Published January 22nd 2009 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about We're All in the Same Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're All in the Same Boat

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMoonshot by Brian FlocaRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
34th out of 60 books — 155 voters
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Animalia by Graeme BaseDr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. SeussEating the Alphabet by Lois EhlertLMNO Peas by Keith Baker
Fun and interesting ABC/Abecedarian books
86th out of 197 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindi
There are dozens of books written for children about Noah, the flood that destroyed the earth and the animals that took refuge on the ark. There are also plenty of alphabet books written on various topics to introduce children to the ABCs. "We're All in the Same Boat" by Zachary R. Shapiro and Jack E. Davis is one more book that would easily fit into both of those categories.

This colorfully illustrated book will entertain both readers and those still just interested in looking at the pictures. T...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

This was a cute, if not spectacular book. It does a good job with an alphabetical story, although Nick Bruel's Bad Kitty is superior. And it is a fun twist on the Noah story.

The illustrations are extremely cartoony, almost to the point of Sandra Boynton illustrations. It's not my favorite style, but it works OK.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, but I round up.
Shanshad Whelan
This is an amusing picture book of Noah and the flood that's also an alphabet book. When Noah loads all the animals onto his ark, they're excited. After a few days at sea, however, they're not so happy about it, the "ants were antsy, the bees were bored . . . " etc, through the alphabet. Finally, Noah has enough and exclaims "We're all in the same boat!" The animals realize their predicament could be more pleasant if they all worked together productively, so there's another alphabetical list of...more
Kelly
We're All in the Same Boat is a story of Noah's Ark. Many children may know this story from Sunday School or church attendance, but those without a Judeo-Christian background will also find something to enjoy in this book. The book makes no mention of the Bible or religion, and, in my opinion, this makes the book accessible to more readers (and it gives me license to read it aloud in my public elementary school library).

The illustrations in this book, while engaging, were a little "busy." It wa...more
Jackie
We're All in the Same Boats tells the story of Noah and his ark in a kid-friendly way with the alphabet recognition in the background. It is not until Noah gets steamed at the dogs who are demanding, the organutans who are obnoxious and the yaks who are yelling...when he hollers, "We're all in the same boat". Silence ensues, the animals get sheepish, and attitudes are adjusted. Then, the dogs are diligent, the orangutans organize their toys, and the yaks start yawning. Colorful, giggle-inducing...more
Yvonne
Love this book! Noah rounds up the animals and they are all excited about their voyage. After awhile, the excitement fades and his passengers start to get grumpy -- camels complain, kangaroos kick, yaks yell, etc. Noah puts his foot down and yells "We're All In The Same Boat!!" and it starts to change the attitudes of those on board. "The camels were cooperative, the dogs were diligent, and the elephants were enthusiastic."

Wonderful story with beautiful illustrations
Dina
Did you think the animals on Noah's Ark were calm and patient? Think again! In this delightful book the animals are frustrated and angry after they've been on the ark so long--until Noah reminds them that "We're all in the same boat!" Shapiro plays with the alphabet to describe the animals and their actions/feelings ("The elephants were enraged." "The penguins held a party.") and Davis's illustrations humorously convey the chaos on the ark.
Stephanie
An A-Z story about what inevitably happens when you cram a bunch of animals on a boat for months at a time. Everyone gets cranky, until eventually Noah yells "We're all in the same boat!" Both my boys love to yell that part. I've come to use that saying whenever I'm getting really frustrated with my boys. A fun book with a good message, to remember we're all in this boat together, and things go a lot better when everyone tries to be positive.
Randie
All the animals are excited for a trip on the ark until time begins to drag on and the animals become enraged, jittery, and livid. Noah reminds that animals that they are all in the same boat and then the animals are cooperative, merry, and neighborly. Bright, fun illustrations add interest and humor to the story.

I enjoyed the alliteration of the animals feelings and actions. Fun book!
Brianna
Filled with wonderful illustrations by Jack E. Davis, Zachary Shapiro's "We're all in the same boat" gives us another fun spin on the classic biblical story of Noah's Ark. Kids (3-6 yrs.) will love the alliteration in the stories and all of the funky pictures of the animals--a perfect accompaniment to alphabet learning!
Marfita
A charming story with alphabet thrown in (but not what a parent would consider an alphabet book - one to teach the alphabet) made more charming with Jack E. Davis's lively cartoon illustrations. It also addresses behaviors that any child (but especially parent) would recognize in the back seat of a car.
Chak
Sep 08, 2009 Chak rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kid
Great for 2-5 year olds who love animals. Totally non-religious telling of the Noah's ark story to highlight the alphabet. Example: The Moose were Mouthing off... The Nightingales were Nagging... The Orangutans were Obnoxious...." Goofy illustrations.
Teri
This book is a must-have and I highly recommend. The story of Noah is used. The animals are getting a little testy on the ark. Noah reminds them, "We're All in the Same Boat." Alliteration is used and makes for a clever little read.
Amanda
One of the most fun alphabet books I've ever run across. It goes through each animal and how they are feeling being on the ark for so long and then how realizing they're all in it together, how their feelings change.
Kyla
This book describes the animals perspective of their time on Noahs arch. The book has really amazing pictures and a lot of good words that go with the animal. For example (The orangutans were Obnoxious)
Sam Bloom
The second-best children's book about Noah's Ark, this one is a silly tale about how the animals get restless during the long trip... and the animals are listed in alphabetical order! AND, Shapiro is a Rabbi!
Josh
A great message for our time. I hear the phrase, "We're All in the Same Boat" everywhere (in terms of the economy). The illustrations are fabulous. I especially like the hairdo on the worm!
Molly
This is a nice little story about Noahs Ark. It has some great vocabulary words and works as an alphabet book. Though the Alphabet is a tool this would in no way teach the ABC's to anyone. Ages 4+
Cristina
All the animals on Noah's ark go stir-crazy together--until they realize they're all in the same boat. Not too much to the storyline, but nice illustrations and alphabet exercises.
Judy Desetti
Great book. Lots of alliteration and rhyming.

Animals bicker on the ark. Noah tells them we are all in the same boat and suddenly all the animals get along.
Margaret
Boo got a Noah's Ark little people set for christmas and we have been on a "Noah" kick every since. She loves stories about him and this is one of our favs.
Arapahoe Library District
A great lesson, good story and funny cute pictures. But are the illustrations unique enough for Caldecott consideration?
Rachel
This is a cute and funny alphabet book that would work with pre-readers who are starting to connect letters with sounds.
The Library Lady
The art and humor here have a bit of a Borscht Belt flavor--and they really work. Lots of fun, especially for school age kids.
Meg McGregor
A zany look at how the animals on Noah's Ark had to learn to live together in harmony. A great alphabet book too!
Nick
This was a great book. I highly recommend it. It is a book about the alphabet with a twist.
Marti
Cute take on the alphabet book. Nice to have a Noah story that doesn't have religious overtones.
Matthew
This alphabet book about Noah's ark was kind of funny and educational at the same time.
Erika
might be my favorite rendition of the Noah story for children - written by a rabbi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »