Start by marking “Comedy Writing Secrets: The Best-Selling Book on How to Think Funny, Write Funny, Act Funny, And Get Paid For It” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  324 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Only Handbook for Humor Writers!

What is comedy? Comedy is the art of making people laugh without making them puke.
-Steve Martin

Become the funniest person in the room! With Comedy Writing Secrets, 2nd edition, you can master the fundamentals of humor writing and turn your comedic talent into a well-paying pursuit.

For more than a decade, Comedy Writing Secrets has been g
Paperback, Second Edition, 342 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by F & W Media (first published September 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Comedy Writing Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comedy Writing Secrets

Jeffrey
Jul 16, 2008 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: academic
OK, but keep in mind that if you have to read a book, especially many books, you're probably not funny. I was asked by my students how I got into standup comedy(I performed for over five years in Boston and LA). They asked, "Did you take classes?" No. Never. I find that too much studying of technique for intuitive based skills is counter productive. You can certainly improve your comedy with some reading (especially seeing how those who came before you did it--I read a book about the early caree ...more
Truthcansuck Goring
Oct 26, 2007 Truthcansuck Goring rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aspiring Comics/Comedic Writers
Shelves: contemporary
This is a great primer on the construction of humour. A little quote heavy, and yes it does read like a textbook at times, but it pays off with actual information (which is rarer than you would think in most books on comedy)on the process of using words to elicit laughs.
Jaime Buckley
Jul 04, 2011 Jaime Buckley rated it really liked it
Thus far I'm enjoying the process--purchased to assist in developing some key characters in my writing, this has given me a new perspective and understanding of how comedy works.
Craig
Dec 01, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
Excellent book on comedy theory and practice. I'd tell you more, but it's a secret.
Michelle
Sep 08, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, words
If you've already mastered looking funny.
Wayne
Jan 24, 2016 Wayne rated it it was amazing
A very practical approach to making comedy writing something that everyone could experience some success!
Jon
May 18, 2016 Jon rated it liked it
A quick book on comedy construction. interesting, but maybe not essential. The exercises could be helpful.
Henry
Oct 11, 2009 Henry rated it it was ok
The book touched a lot of different genres in comedy writing, but was shallow in all subjects. I would rather gone for going deep in universal truths in comedy, not a quick primer on standup followed by a quick primer on writing funny greeting cards.
J.D.
Jan 28, 2013 J.D. rated it liked it
Maybe I'm just not capable of being funny. I'll give this one another try at some point, but it didn't seem to help me at all. It might be okay for other people, though, so don't discount it just because I didn't get much out of it.
A
Mar 21, 2015 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has lots of examples of professionals' jokes just presented without any analysis by the author.
Has some good exercises to think more flexibly.
Very poorly formatted, so rather confusingly presented.
Luis
Sep 24, 2012 Luis rated it liked it
It's a good book, has funny jokes but it's made for a Comedy Writer, not for a normal person wanting to be funny. It surely helps, but has a lot of informations that I dont need.
Michael Barone
Nov 26, 2013 Michael Barone rated it really liked it
Though it takes forever to read, there are some fun tips and useful information throughout. Of course, the highlights of every page are the one liners.
Belal Khan
Jul 18, 2013 Belal Khan rated it liked it
Great book that looks into the process of writing in a humorous way. I have a greater appreciation for folks who have natural wit.
Lucas
Nov 08, 2012 Lucas rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
I think it's very difficult to convey comedy writing in a book, I'd rather focus on a book that helps you with stage presence.
Bryan Jacobson
May 22, 2012 Bryan Jacobson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Do the exercises, and you'll get better at making jokes. Useful treatment of a tough subject - "being funny".
Cindy Engquist
Sep 01, 2013 Cindy Engquist rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I love comedy, and my own humor is intuitive. Reading this to to learn about the structure and how it works.
Timothy Meyers
Sep 06, 2008 Timothy Meyers rated it liked it
Useful, however some of it is common sense. The quotes are frequent and usually amusing.
Ardi Rakai
Sep 23, 2007 Ardi Rakai rated it really liked it
Shelves:
It's Time To LEARN = How To Think funny, to write funny, act funny, and get benefit from it..
Kathleen O'Mara
Apr 17, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it liked it
If publishing comedy were as easy as writing comedy, tv would be better.
Ario
Apr 11, 2012 Ario rated it really liked it
Hilitzer gives me a great day by his wisdom of comedy, sure, comedy is wisdom
Tsolmon
Jul 25, 2011 Tsolmon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
just one ordinary book
Adam David Seeley
Adam David Seeley marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Saqib K
Saqib K rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Sampz
Sampz marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Khánh Trình
Khánh Trình marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Tiara
Tiara is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Joshua Baize
Joshua Baize rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
GetLastError
GetLastError marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Giorgi Tartarashvili
Giorgi Tartarashvili marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Kaylene
Kaylene marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • The Comedy Bible: From Stand-up to Sitcom--The Comedy Writer's Ultimate "How To" Guide
  • The Comic Toolbox: How to Be Funny Even If You're Not
  • Screenwriting for Dummies
  • Mind-Lines: Lines for Changing Minds
  • Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics
  • Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • Your Writing Coach: From Concept to Character, from Pitch to Publication - Everything You Need to Know About Writing Novels, Non-fiction, New Media, Scripts and Short Stories
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • Comic Insights: The Art of Stand-Up Comedy
  • If It's Purple, Someone's Gonna Die: The Power of Color in Visual Storytelling
  • Making Meaning: Inference and Rhetoric in the Interpretation of Cinema
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women: Romance Writers on the Appeal of the Romance
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • A Short History of Film
  • Film Theory: An Introduction Through the Senses

“It's psychologically impossible to hate someone with whom you've laughed.” 1 likes
“humor. We” 0 likes