Start by marking “To Venture Further: An Incredible Boat Journey Across the Waterways of Thailand” as Want to Read:
To Venture Further: An Incredible Boat Journey Across the Waterways of Thailand

To Venture Further: An Incredible Boat Journey Across the Waterways of Thailand

In this memorable exploit from a master storyteller, legendary sailor Tristan Jones makes an exceedingly difficult passage through the infamous Kra Penninsula in a small fishing boat.
Published January 25th 1992 by Sheridan House (first published March 28th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about To Venture Further, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Venture Further

Tuck
Jul 12, 2010 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
author has done (and not done some things he said he did) some incredible things over his life, sailing across south america, west to east, yes, over the andes. in this, he sails across thailand, with his crew of disabled thai, through dry rivers, over dams, under dragons. well, ok, the dragons part not entirely accurate. but hella sail boat adventures are had in all jones books.
Ryan
Nov 06, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Even though Jones fabricates or embellishes some details and even though he's not the best writer technically (I say that like I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't), I still love the hell out of this book. At some point, I even looked up old newspaper articles online just so I could make myself believe that these kids could actually cross the Kra (they did). While I preferred "Somewhere East of Suez", this book is still a favorite.
Jane Routley
May 20, 2011 Jane Routley rated it really liked it
Subtitled - an incredible boat journey across the waterways of Thailand. What more needs to be said. Well actually the author is disabled, he has only one leg, and his crew of Thais were also disabled. A neat travel book set in a part of the world not much travelled, inspiring and there is an elephant.
Lori Mendenhall
May 30, 2016 Lori Mendenhall rated it liked it
I did not finish this book... I give it 3 stars because I think it's an interesting story and premise, however I wasn't sucked into the book because I found the author's writing style awkward and boring to read. Probably could have given it a second chance but there are too many other books out there to explore.
R.Bruce Macdonald
Jan 19, 2013 R.Bruce Macdonald rated it really liked it
Quite an inspiring tale of some of his adventures with the youth of Thailand who had been shunned due to their disabilities and were therefore considered bad karma.
David
Aug 10, 2012 David added it
Tristan Jones will always be on my Mount Rushmore of authors!
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2010
Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Kathe
Kathe rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
STUART BOWMAN
STUART BOWMAN rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2017
Eve
Eve rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Rapture
Rapture rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2010
Alex Kaeda
Alex Kaeda rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2012
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2010
Vicki Hill
Vicki Hill rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Rich
Rich rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Rick
Rick rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Ralph
Ralph rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Fordj Jones
Fordj Jones rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Josh Miller
Josh Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Jeff Tollefson
Jeff Tollefson rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2007
Laine
Laine rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2007
Steve Murray
Steve Murray rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2008

Arthur Jones, pen name Tristan Jones was a prolific English author and mariner. His stories, mostly about sailing, are a combination of both fact and fiction, and it is rather difficult to tell these apart.
He was an illegitimate child, and was raised mainly in orphanages. He joined the Royal Navy in 1946, and se
More about Tristan Jones...