Start by marking “Slept Away” as Want to Read:
Slept Away

Slept Away

Laney Parker is a city girl through and through. For her, summertime means stepping out of her itchy gray school uniform and into a season of tanning at rooftop swimming pools, brunching at sidewalk cafes, and—as soon as the parents leave for the Hamptons—partying at her classmates’ apartments.
But this summer Laney’s mother has other plans for Laney. It’s called Camp Timbe
Published May 26th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Slept Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slept Away

Rebecca McNutt
May 03, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it did not like it
Splattered with tie dye fall out, stripped of her cell phone, and going through Diet Coke withdrawal, Laney is barely hanging on.

Oh my god, what a lazy, spoiled, entitled little brat! This girl needs sent to military school, not summer camp! She got on my nerves; I don't think I've ever read about such a pathetic character in a long time. Was this supposed to be funny? Laney was just annoying, I wanted to strangle her by the time the first few chapters were over!

This book was pretty bad itself
Rose
Aug 25, 2009 Rose rated it really liked it
Happy Summer, everyone! For once, New York One’s terribly wrong 10-day forecast was a good thing, right?

So, I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted, and some people have e-mailed me, wondering A) if I simply stopped writing for the blog or B) had my mom shipped me off to the woods these past few weeks.

Well, no on both counts, but if I could do the latter all over again, this time I’d do it with a smile.

While I was away, however, Julie Kraut’s Slept Away dragged me down Memory Lane’s dirty, r
Ashley (Books Obsession)
Laney Parker is a complete city girl, hoping for a summer of tanning, kissing, partying, and hanging out with her best friend Kennedy. But her vegetarian/yoga obsessed mom has different plans: Camp Timber Trails. Laney automatically thinks it's the end of her life as she knows it, and is furious at her mom. At camp, Laney struggles with everything thrown at her: from dealing with male separation and caffeine withdrawal, to fluorescent colored skorts and mystery meat dinners. After being teased b ...more
Lauren
Apr 11, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Books about summer camps always intrigue me. Not only because they are usually set during summer, one of my favorite seasons, but also they always seem to include lots of hijinks and fun. This is what originally drew me to Julie Kraut’s Slept Away. Sadly enough, I did not end up enjoying it as nearly much as I thought I would, but it was still a quick and fun read.

For Laney Parker, city girl extraordinaire, summer plans involving sleepaway camps are never an option. She would much rather be spen
Arminzerella
15 year old Laney Parker’s mom has totally and completely destroyed her summer. Instead of finding an exciting internship, Laney will be going to Camp Timber Trails. Laney has never expressed any interest in summer camp, and she refuses to speak to her mother. She also refuses to pack. Laney’s mother packs for her. Laney is forced to wear day-glow culottes and t-shirt sets all summer, which pretty much sets her up for ridicule. It doesn’t help that most of the girls in Laney’s cabin have been go ...more
Morgan
Sep 25, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Julie Kraut
Laney parker is ready to start off her summer with tanning by the pool and hanging out with her bestie, but it turns out her mom has other plans for her at camp. Will Laney be able to survive the whole summer at this unaired-conditioned boot camp? She might fit in in New York, but will she fit in to camp popularity considering it’s based on being athletic?
Slept Away by Julie Kraut is a fantastic, entertaining and relatable book. This book treats you, the reader, as if were standing r
Rachael
Jun 08, 2009 Rachael rated it liked it
Laney Parker is a city girl psyched for a summer of tanning, gossiping, and partying with her BFF Kennedy. But when Laney’s mother forcefully ships her off to sleepaway camp in Middle of Nowhere, Pennsylvania of all places, it becomes apparent that you can take the girl out of the Upper East Side, but you can’t take the Upper East Side out of the girl. Laney has no idea how she’s supposed to deal with sex segregation, athletic shorts, and actual sports in place of air conditioning, caffeine, and ...more
Yan
Nov 11, 2008 Yan rated it liked it
I read Julie’s previous book Hot Mess but was less than blown away, however, Slept Away was much better than I had anticipated. This was Sleepaway Girls done right.

We have almost the same basic plotline, girl goes to summer, mean girls appear, girl befriends some awesome friends, and mean girls get defeated, girl ends summer camp happy and glad she came. So what made me like this book so much better? Almost everything I say!

First off, the characters. Laney was not someone always perky, always h
Adele
Jun 02, 2009 Adele rated it liked it
I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this novel as I am one of those foreigners that has idealised camp due to copious viewings of The Parent Trap (both original and remake). Laney is by all appearances one of those "mean girls" but I really didn't see any evidence of this. Sure she's shallow but her criticisms against her mother and step-kinda-father seem occasionally justified. For instance, if my mother sent me to camp without any warning and had packed my luggage with items she though ...more
Sarah BT
Jun 20, 2009 Sarah BT rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was light, funny, and a great summer read. Even if you're not heading off to summer camp, Slept Away is a great vacation read.

I'm more of a city girl myself and the only camping I've ever really done was staying in my grandparent's RV which was in their backyard, so we had easy access to indoor plumbing, air-conditioning and snacks. So I totally felt Laney's pain with being stuck at camp for six weeks!

The thing I liked most about this book was that in the beginnin
Christi
Jul 20, 2010 Christi rated it really liked it
Summary: In Julie Kraut's Slept Away, Laney Parker's summer plans are abruptly interrupted as her yoga, new-age mother ships her off to summer camp. Completely devastated, Laney refuses to go up until the point where her mother hands her a pre-packed duffel bag and drives her to the Camp Timber Trails bus. Missing out on her city summer and her bff Kennedy, Laney finds her mother has packed the most atrocious clothes, no make up, and a too-small swimsuit. Once Miss Popularity and now summer camp ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Angela S. for TeensReadToo.com

Laney Parker is a city girl in every way. She's looking forward to the summer so she can spend it at chic boutiques and parties with her friends. Little does she know, her new-age mother has a totally different plan for Laney - she's sending her to summer camp!

Being sent to camp Timber Trail is bad enough, but being there with a group of totally uncool girls who think they run the camp (and automatically take a disliking to Laney!), along with getting st
a.e.o.
Slept Away was not really a great book, but it wasn't awful.

The first issue was that the main characters are unreasonable. Laney is completely spoiled, the only nice girl is the "ugly" one, the "mean girls" are all two dimensional (and while you aren't supposed to like them, you are supposed to have a decent reason not to. Plus, seriously, their names are Hayden, Aiden, and Aidan), etc. It just seemed shallow.

Secondly, book wanted to be witty. It really did. It had a few good moments, but ther
Traci
Jul 16, 2016 Traci rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I think I was pretty annoyed reading most of this book. Laney was a spoiled brat for almost the whole thing, and yet I still wanted her to out-bitch the bitch trio (she did get some good clapbacks in at least), and get the guy at the end.
I'm thinking she maybe was just too young of a MC for me to relate to at all? idk
As I said in one of my updates, the pop culture references got to be VERY annoying as well. I really wish I'd started counting them at the beginning! But really, there were severa
Kricket
15 year old laney parker of park avenue is sent to sleepaway camp in pennsylvania against her will. it's 6 weeks of torture: bratty villains in her bunk, neon culottes to wear, sweaty outdoor activities, and no access to the internet. but halfway through laney makes a friend who makes the stint at camp bearable, and sees a geeky boy from home in a new light.

when i was eleven, there was nothing i loved more than a summer camp story, so at least one of the stars is for nostalgia. the others are fo
Ashley Hackenmiller
Aug 09, 2009 Ashley Hackenmiller rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
My thoughts: When I received this novel in the mail I was ecstatic. I had been waiting forever to get my hands on a copy of this (thanks again to my contact within the group). I slipped it into my “to be reviewed” pile and plowed through the books before it. I loved this book. Now when you see the B you are probably like “what?” Let me start off by telling you I have been grading books too easy. So sadly this was the first book where I decided to be tougher. It was almost an “A” but there were a ...more
Shelley
What a fun, hilarious summer read!

I loved this book right away. It even had some Gossip Girl references, which I always love.

I loved that Laney was a super popular, party New Yorker who once in her camp, took the time to understand a boy whom shes always looked past because of something he did when he was very young.

This book showed that you never really know someone until you've spent enough time with them to understand them.

This was a very fun and light read that put a smile right on my face.
Victoria
Jun 20, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
I read this book in a day. Which is actually not usual since it is 300 pages. I couldn't put it down. Not because it was that good, it wasn't bad, just not superb, but I couldn't find a bookmark so nevertheless it was read in a day. I liked all the references to pop culture, it was the pop culture of '09 so lots has changed but they cheered me up anyway and provided lots of the comedic relief in the book. My most positive comment on this book is how accurate the representation of summer camp was ...more
Trish
May 16, 2009 Trish rated it really liked it
Laney Parker is the quintessential New York City girl, attached to tanning, texting and shopping. Her summer plans are turned upside down when her mother (once a high-powered lawyer but newly granola-fied by her new-age boyfriend) decides to send her nature-deprived daughter to a rustic summer camp. Laney finds herself at the bottom of the barrel in camp social life, besieged at every turn by such horrors as instructional swimming, arts & crafts, bunk cleanup, and the “no caffeine” rule.

Lane
Stefanie
May 19, 2015 Stefanie rated it liked it
I didn't like the first couple chapters but gradually got into it once Laney got to camp. I hated how snarky she was about everything. I hated the references to anorexia and how many times the word slut was used. Plus some of the similes used made me cringe so I knew I couldn't give this higher than a three, even though the last 150 pages were so much better than the first half.
Sylvie was by far my favourite character in here. Mandi and her pink obsession was funny at times. I liked the descrip
x_ FranCheskaaa ;;
May 11, 2010 x_ FranCheskaaa ;; rated it it was amazing
, im still in dee process of reaadinq thisss book . buht so faar i liek it : ) onlie becuss i feel assz doe i caan relateee to it alott ! considerinq dee faaCt dhaat it 'sz aboutt ah teen aqee qurl or w.e ' so anywaysss nott onlie is thisss book aboutt ah teenaqe qurl it 'sz aboutt ah 17 yeaar old qurl who still qott seent awaay to ah caamp for ah W H O L E six weeks . mind youh liek i saaid she 1[7) so yeaah sheee dontt liek it buht thaat 'sz really as faar as i caan qo cuss i haventt finished ...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Fifteen-year-old Laney Parker is a New York girl through and through. Roof-top parties and shopping on Fifth Avenue are her usual hobbies, but this summer her mom is sending her to camp. Laney is way out of her element—the in-crowd is anything but cool, popularity is determined by swimming skills, not fashion labels and she is barely hanging on to her sanity. Her being alone is distressing until she makes friends with Sylvie and along the way, begins to consider that maybe the life she leads at ...more
Chloe
Sep 18, 2010 Chloe rated it it was ok
Shelves: english-class
I had to read this sorry excuse for a novel for school because Kraut is a local author. I was shocked they would require us to read something this modern. Boy, was it corny. I do not know one person who would back down that easily if they were forced to go to summer camp. Laney was a whiny bitch. Mandi was annoying. Naming characters Aiden, Aidan and Hayden was a stupid move. Laney's mom represents every thing that is wrong with our female population. Either she was desperate or high throughout ...more
Kristin
Aug 23, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I had my own camp experience that was forced on me by my mother so I can relate to this book in that aspect. The camp situation reminded me continuously of Disney Channel's "Bug Juice" which I watched every summer and lived vicariously through the summer camp experience whilst sleeping in my own bed every night.

I enjoyed this book. I was confused why the description on the back talked about a crush but the crush wasn't even introduced until the book was more than half over. At the end of the bo
Adelina Adeyemi
Sandra Bannerman
Aug 05, 2009 Sandra Bannerman rated it really liked it
Fabulous summer read, I wish I had read it in the middle of summer! Imagine a Prada girl thrown into a summer camp where suddenly she is not little Miss Popular. Her mom packed her clothes so she's stuck with hideous neon outfits...remember sqorts????? There's a bad case of mean girls mixed with a chirpy happy happy joy joy camp counsellor and don't forget to throw in a cute boy who is part of the not-so-popular crowd back in NYC! It made me want to go to summer camp!!
Marta
Dec 13, 2014 Marta rated it liked it
I love summer camp books and this one disappointed me a bit, the story line was alright (maybe a bit cliché), but what really anoyed me was how hard the author tried to use 'teenage language' some of the expressions made me crack up but there were just too many and close. The ending was not defined which I personally hate in a standalone, I would have liked to see more!
Overall it was an easy summery read and funny at some parts.
Emma Xoxo
Feb 06, 2013 Emma Xoxo rated it it was amazing
This book was good. It ended way differently than I thought it would, but that's ok. I can't say anything I wan't to say because i'll probably give away the whole book, but let me just say, JULIE KRAUT PLEASE MAKE A SEQUEL!!! About how Kennedy reacts and her and Sylvie's relationship and Ryan!!! Did I just give away the book there? Dang. I think I did. To bad!! Ignore that. I rate this book 5 stars. ***** .
-Signing off, Emma XoXo.
Jessica
May 21, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
I'm abandoning this book, it's so hard to read as I'm already four chapters in and so far 2 things have happened. If I had the patients to read it all, maybe at some point it might have picked up but I guess this isn't a good book to read whilst in exam mode! The lot as potential, but it's very pre-predictable - the very reason I borrowed it out. But it was just too slow and frustrating for me. xo
Kassandra
Jun 06, 2011 Kassandra rated it did not like it
I hated the main character! She was so annoying and the romance was bad! She was popular and when she goes to summer camp she becomes a geek. The romance was terrible! She falls for the popular guy at the camp but he goes to the same school as her but is considered unpopular in there school.I don't even understand how I finished this book!
S T O R y 1 5 Dec 11, 2009 09:02AM
  • The Lost Summer
  • Meet Me at the Boardwalk
  • Sleepaway Girls (Whispering Pines, #1)
  • Girlfriend Material
  • The Star Shack
  • Kissing Snowflakes
  • Fireworks (Four Summer Stories)
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Stupid Cupid (Stupid Cupid, #1)
  • Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1)
  • Love, Lies and Texas Dips (The Debs, #2)
  • Swoon at Your Own Risk
  • Riding the Universe
  • Wish You Weren't Here (Camp Confidential, #8)
  • My Invisible Boyfriend