Start by marking “Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook” as Want to Read:
Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook

Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  28 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In 1972, when the packing and crating for a major exhibition made it impossible for him to work in his sculpture studios, Henry Moore retreated to a small studio that looks out on a sheep meadow. Over the course of several months, as sheep were suckled and sheared, Moore produced this delightful flock of sketches and drawings. Sheep are as much a commonplace of the English ...more
Published September 17th 2008 by Thames & Hudson (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Wolves/dogs and other animals on front covers
87th out of 900 books — 312 voters
Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThe Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving StoneZoia's Gold by Philip Sington
Art In Books
129th out of 235 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles
Dec 15, 2014 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, read-in-14
Bryant's recent review of Lydia Davis' The Cows sent me to the garage to dig this gem out. I had admired Henry Moore's hanging balance sculptures. I even tried my hand at making a few of driftwood and sea worn rocks.
When I spied this book I had to own it so I could look at Henry Moore's sheep sketches. Some more abstract fit my expectations others caught the posture or realistic poses of these animals.
On a hill high on the English border with Wales I chased a herd of sheep with idiot delight
Jacob
Apr 07, 2008 Jacob rated it really liked it
"All artists have some subjects that excite them more than others, and the sheep became one of those obsessive subjects." What a right-thinking man, this Henry Moore. He gets it. These sketches are an essential addition to any sheep collection. Bring the book to the kitchen table and try copying the sketches for hours of family fun.
LemontreeLime
Its utterly ridiculous, but oh how much I love the drawings in this book! More than his sculptures! Everyone should have something that makes them smile, and this is definitely one of mine - those silly smug fluffy sheep scribbled forever in ink pen.
Peter Hall
Dec 31, 2013 Peter Hall rated it it was amazing
If you like sheep or art this is a wonderful short book. A facsimile of Moore's sketch book the construction of solid sheep from ball and felt tip pen is mesmerising.
Ken French
Apr 27, 2015 Ken French rated it it was amazing
A side of Moore I hadn't seen before. Bought this at the Tate Britain two days ago.
Mckinley
Jun 08, 2011 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, art, animal, sheep
it's a lot of sheep in pen and ink
"I have always liked sheep."
Mrs S.E. Rawnsley
Mrs S.E. Rawnsley rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Anne Otley
Anne Otley rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Franab
Franab rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
David Millard
David Millard rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 26, 2015
Turquoise
Turquoise marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Susana
Susana added it
Jan 08, 2015
Happy Snappy
Happy Snappy marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Melinda
Melinda rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Gemma Lowry
Gemma Lowry rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Name Margaret
Name Margaret rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Mjofersam
Mjofersam marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Ian Stenhouse
Ian Stenhouse rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Ciara Foster
Ciara Foster marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Isa
Isa rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Derek Grasby
Derek Grasby marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013