Start by marking “Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)

Highlander's Challenge (Challenge #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Amelia Tucker, or Tuck as she prefers to be called, latest personal bodyguard assignment turns into one she'll never forget, thanks to a crazed kidnapper, one enchanted fountain, and a sixteenth century Highland Warrior determined to keep her under lock and key. Who will win this battle of wills?
Published August 3rd 2007 by Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Highlander's Challenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highlander's Challenge

Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerA Knight in Shining Armor by Jude DeverauxBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie MoningA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
The Best Time-Travel Romance Novels
74th out of 505 books — 2,992 voters
The Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonLover Avenged by J.R. WardLover Mine by J.R. WardInsatiable by Lauren DaneCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Hottest Guy on a Cover
239th out of 1,183 books — 1,655 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris43
There once was a time when I took a holy wow never to read a book that has this kind of cover....LOL

But then, I got tired and burned out with 'real' books, so I took a chance with something different.

...And loved it very much:)
So there you have it, never say never!

Best thing about this book is a good believable story with lots of action and good characterization.

I really loved the way the characters are done. Their temperament, actions and motivations are well described and explained. Not ea
Holjo
Rated 3.5/5

Summary: Amelia "Tuck" Tucker is a bodyguard for hire in the 21st century. Her background is in the military, and she prides herself on her soldier/warrior skills. She is very tall, full of muscle, and has been generally treated more like a man than a woman throughout her life. Her current job is guarding a brilliant scientist, named Jenny, who believes she is more in need of a friend than a bodyguard.

While touring Scottish castles with Jenny, Tuck and Jenny are attacked. Tuck tries t
Barbara ★
I absolutely loved the details of Scotland and descriptions of the castles and surrounding areas. Scotland is one of the few places I'd really like to go but probably never will. So I have to live vicariously through Scots romances. I'm terrible trying to decipher accented speech but i do love to listen to them speak with that brogue. Ooh la la!

I loved when Amelia called Colin Sassquatch and ogre. Too funny! Especially since he had no idea what she meant. The fact that she was a big (tall not fa
Former military member Amelia Tucker isn't girly. She hasn't felt like a girl in quite a while, she's tall, small chested, and is well a bodyguard. She doesn't necessarily feel she needs to be girly in her line of work. Her current assignment is to guard an heiress cum medical genius who has a knack for history. They are touring Scotland and while at a castle, Tuck (as she likes to be called) finds a pull with it. She gets a suspicious feeling when a man is lurking about eyeing her charge. When ...more
Anne
Rather dull characters, some nice fighting action, some awful editing errors....I skipped about 200 pages and read the end. Couldn't really force myself to read more than that.
Katie ®
I loved this book. There were a few things that I didn't like but they never out weighed all the things I loved. Tuck ,aka Amelia Tucker, is a bad ass. She can beat anyone in a fair fight. She has a military back ground, she has been in combat and she can handle her own. Not only has she fought her way through war zones, but she has also fought her way through child hood. She had an abusive father, who did nothing but drink and hurt her. In her mind she was worthless,to tall, to ugly and not wa ...more
Keri
Amelia Tucker, or Tuck as she prefers to be called, has always been different. Considered to tall, too freckled, too independent, not feminine enough, and too scarred, Tuck gave up on finding love long ago. What she is good at is fighting. Tuck hires on as a bodygaurd for Jenny, a wealthy genius. Upon being attacked while visiting Great Britian, Tuck falls into a fountain and is transported back in time.

Colin MacLean is a Highlander warrior and clan leader used to barking orders and having them
Kelly

Not your typical leading lady. Generally in any Time Travel Romance like this the leading lady is so distraught and fragile and the big strong highlander saves the day. That is SO not the case with Tuck! You will fall in love with her sharp tongue and hard ass personality. She is not about to play the roll of your typical 16th century lady.

Then their is Connor who is about as romantically challenged as Tuck. Both of them are too hard for many people to feel close to them but as a reader you wil
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
An enjoyable time travel highlander romp. If you've read one of these you've kind of read them all. Whether they get sent through time via a circle of druid stones, a stone henge, or, as in this case, a magical fountain, as long as the modern day girl gets thrown back in time a few centuries, often landing in the lap of a hot knight or highlander, you can usually be sure that an amusing and entertaining tale is about to unfold.

Quite frankly I'm not really bothered about how the heroine ends up b
C. Erani Kole
For the first time in my Highlander-reading years, the heroine knows how to fight like the big boys.

I loved this! Amelia "Tuck" Tucker was in the army but now works as a bodyguard, and it's during an attack with her latest client in Scotland that she gets sent back in time to our main man, Colin. When they're not verbally fighting, they're secretly admiring the other in more ways than one.

However, Colin feels duty-bound to care for his people and marry another, and Tuck is bent on getting back t
Krysta Drechsler
The story is ok but I listened to it on audio book which was the must unprofessional recording I have ever listened to! The editing was god-awful and at one point, the narrator burped between sentences. Hilarious, ridiculous, and highly unprofessional. I'm glad I didn't pay any money to listen to this story.
Marielle Devera
Read this book so many times couldnt even put it down. A women bodyguard brought back to the past in Scotland and meets a handsome and sexy Laird who thinks she was a dude a first and then a threat. Great book for those who loves romance and hot sexy warriors from the past. lol
Nancy W.
Listened to the audio book. The reader did a great job with the accents. That in itself made it interesting since the three main characters were one American one Brit and one Scot. I don't know how she kept the fast paced disloyal straight. Fun.
Rinou
That was surrealistic but so funny. Amelia is a strong heroine who doesn't try to blend in the sixteen's century, she stays herself (she doesn't know how to do otherwise), and no one knows what to do when faced with a female warrior (and a good one). Colin is loyal, he tries to do what is the best for his clan, but can't help being attracted to the strange woman who doesn't act like a woman must behave. Of course each one thinks not to be worthy enough of the other at one point, but that doesn't ...more
Lesley
This book was just ok. I like time travel romances as a general rule, but this one fell a little flat for me. I have to suspend enough disbelief for a time travel book without the heroine traveling back in time 400+ years and yet having NO adjustment problems whatsoever, apart from the lack of gummybears. I also tired of her constant reference to "buster" and "Sasquatch" when talking to/about the hero. It's like she wanted to show off that she was not from their time and went out of her way to b ...more
Prim
O.M.G the first 3 chapters are good
Julie
I love time travel!!! The heroine in this book had wonderful dialogue. Her sarcastic and biting comments made the book. Some time travel books focus on the "getting back" part and all the difference in the new time. This book focused on the characters and their immediate situations. Though I enjoy reading about how a character adapts in a new time, this book had my attention on them instead. I loved the characters!!! I can't wait to read the second book in this series.
Brittany
I have read many highlander-time travel novels and I have loved so many so it takes a lot for me to really fall in love with the book. And yet, I fell in love with this one! i absolutely loved the main character Tuck she is a very strong woman that got to meet a strong man to stand by her side. This book had me both in tears of laughter and of sadness and I loved every minute of it! I am hopeing the next book will be as great as this one!!!
Sally
Thoroughly enjoyable time travel story. Tuck and Colin are wonderful protagonists and the rest of the characters were well drawn and memorable,meant wait to read the next in the series and see how Ian gets,on ,it should be fascinating and fun as this book has been.
Royce Hawkins
Great fun. Great characters. I love the time travel aspect of a good historical romance. This story has witty dialogue and some love struck warriors. I am sure I've read the story line before, but the characters kept it fresh and fun. **** 4 stars
Ellen
DNF at 46%

This book is just boring. I don't really care about any of the characters and Tuck is too abrasive and doesn't even consider trying to blend in as opposed to be burned as a witch.

I have better things to read.
Janice
I liked this book, it is different the the "Donna Grant" highlander books. Easy to read, I recommend it, I'm starting the next book in the series, Rogue's Challenge.

Janice
SheLove2Read
Nothing wrong with this story other than I just wasn't into it. A few cliche's here and there but nothing that kept me from the story. I just wasn't interested.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
Amelia Tucker, bodyguard for hire in 21st century. "thanks to a crazed kidnapper, one enchanted fountain, and a sixteenth century Highland Warrior"..
Kristen Martinez
The book was ok. I thought the female character was a bit annoying. The story is cute, and a bit predictable, but it wasn't a bad read.
Denise
Time travel again I needed a break from the PNR vampire books I was reading... alway refreshing to go back to my highlander :).
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
I just love Highlanders. They are a very sexy bunch. As the lovely Tuck finds out on her venture back 400 years.
Monika
Dec 01, 2013 Monika added it
great Book, for someone who like fantasy and the Scotts. Week at times but easy to overcome.
Elly Wendy
Entertaining, time travel, a good read although a bit on the Harlequin side for me.
Jenn
A good read. Great ideas and great characters. Love the humor .. Onto the next!
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Highland Knight
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Warrior's Redemption (Warrior, #1)
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
  • Everything in Its Time (Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
  • My Timeswept Heart (Blackwells, #1)
  • A Laird for All Time
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Highland Stone
Jo currently resides in North Carolina with her patient and supportive family while she juggles her writing career and her position as a programmer analyst. She has won numerous awards and continues to write whenever she can. Someday, she hopes to take off her programming hat and write full time. So many of her dreams have already come true. What's one more?
Email: jobarrett@jobarrett.net
More about Jo Barrett...

Challenge (3 books)
  • Rogue's Challenge (Challenge, #2)
  • Playboy's Challenge (Challenge, #3)
This Is How It Happened Nothing To Commend Her The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom Rogue's Challenge (Challenge, #2) Don't Let It Be True