Start by marking “Greenmantle” as Want to Read:
Greenmantle

Greenmantle (Richard Hannay #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  2,893 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
In Greenmantle (1916) Richard Hannay, hero of The Thirty-Nine Steps, travels across war-torn Europe in search of a German plot and an Islamic Messiah. He is joined by three more of Buchan's heroes: Peter Pienaar, the old Boer Scout; John S. Blenkiron, the American determined to fight the Kaiser; and Sandy Arbuthnot, Greenmantle himself, modelled on Lawrence of Arabia. The ...more
Published May 29th 2008 by Penguin Classics (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Greenmantle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greenmantle

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I first read this book when I was 10 or 11. It was a library copy, borrowed from the Kodaikanal Club in Kodaikanal, a hill station in south India. It used to be the local English club and the contents of the library still include a large number of old hardbound editions of authors who were popular in the Victorian and Edwardian eras. Early on in this novel, Hannay remarks on the ability of the English for 'getting inside the skin' of distant races. He goes on to say: 'Perhaps the Scots are bette ...more
Kay
The Ripping-est of Ripping Yarns

I've got a special shelf, "Ripping Yarns," set up here at Goodreads devoted to this sort of tale. The salient feature of a ripping yarn is that once you're well into the book, despite whatever flaws there might be in plot, plausibility, or characterization, it's damn near impossible to put down.

John Buchan's four tales featuring hero Richard Hannay fall squarely in the ripping yarn tradition, and they're particularly remarkable as examples of early spy novels. He
Dagny
Jun 28, 2013 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
A great read of high adventure with a good bit of humor, especially in the early part. Book two in Buchan's Richard Hannay series. A special treat is getting to met Peter Pienaar who helped Hannay survive the ordeal of The Thirty-Nine Steps without even being present. He's definitely present in this one.
Nancy Oakes
Nov 28, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greenmantle follows Buchan's "Thirty-nine Steps" not as a sequel so much (imho), but rather as something along the line of the further adventures of Richard Hannay, the main protagonist and overall hero of the Thirty-nine Steps. Hannay has since been a soldier in WWI, in which he was injured at Loos. Now he is called into action once again, this time by the Foreign Office. Sir Walter Bullivant, the senior man at the FO, explains to Hannay that there is a German plot to drag Turkey into the war. ...more
Bryan Alexander
What a strange, entertaining book!

Greenmantle is an odd kind of historical novel about WWI, a spy story about a team of heroes trying to solve a mystery and foil plots. What makes it unusual is that John Buchan wrote it *during* WWI, while serving in France and in British intelligence. Through the novel he reimagines the war, especially in the east, and ends up creating something of an alternate history.

But don't let my analysis distract you. To begin with, Greenmantle is a grand adventure. The
Guguk
Mar 16, 2017 Guguk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Di dunia permata-mataan ga akan dikenal quote: "I'm Hannay. Richard Hannay." (≧▽≦)

Abisnya~ sebagai mata-mata, Bang Hannay ini biasa banget...
Ga pake peralatan canggih, ga dikasi tuksedo keren, dan ga juga dikelilingi cewek cakep~ Malah sekalinya ketemu cewek, doi takut dan grogi ga keruan (^ ^;;)

Tapi setelah baca petualangan pertamanya dan suka, begitu liat buku ini tertimbun di tengah tumpukan novel romance, langsung aja itu tumpukan digali~

"Oh," kata penjual bukbeknya, yang kayak kaget ada nov
Elizabeth
Aug 25, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great work--the writing is personal and emotional, and yet it's formula is spy novel, Conan DOyle in the mystery but with added depth because it's about Turkey and the East and will give you insight into World War I in Europe. It's also remarkably prescient, written before the end of that war, about a band of Allied sympathizers who are spies impersonating at one point or another virtually every possible brand German and German sympathizer. This material and the exciting and well drawn b ...more
Scott
Jun 23, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edwardian, spies, 1910s, war, ww1
Compared to the hectic pace and implausible coincidences of The Thirty-nine Steps, Greenmantle (1916), the second volume of the Richard Hannay trilogy, is more than a Boy's Own adventure tale. Buchan, it turns out, can really write. I was entertained by his deft turns of phrase. Even when the plot whirled away in yet another chase scene, Buchan's language ... part old school jargon, part Rider Haggard, a dash of Sax Rohmer ... surprised me and held my interest. Stylistically, Greenmantle is sort ...more
John Frankham
Sep 30, 2016 John Frankham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What a splendid adventure story and more.

Richard Hannay in 1915 on a top mission to foil a plot to create a holy war in the Muslim world, to draw troops from the Western Front, and to help Germany win the war. Hannay must track down the mysterious prophet who holds the key to everything - Greenmantle.

Greenmantle demonstrates Buchan's exemplary storytelling ability and political insight. Therefore a treasure for children and adults.
Hanna-col
A fun adventure story with a memorable hero! I loved this second installment in the Richard Hannay series and can't wait to get my hands on a copy of "Mr. Standfast". Highly recommended.
Richard Milton
Jan 30, 2016 Richard Milton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to start my review of this First World War thriller with what, for me, is one of the most terrible confessions a man can make. I am a book thief.

My copy of Greenmantle, now tattered, its spine weak from years of rereading, and its faded red cloth cover falling apart at the hinges, still has the book plate of my school library. I borrowed the book and loved it so much, I never returned it. More than fifty years later, I still cherish it too much to part with.

Over the years my habit has
Frankie
Jun 05, 2013 Frankie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
Buchan's Hannay is a clear precursor to Fleming's Bond, with the one major exception forced by a more innocent time and readership - Hannay is no womanizer. As an espionage novel it's quite good and an enjoyable read. It's written broadly for all ages, certainly simple enough to be understood by an entire generation of British boys who would probably later serve in WWII. Buchan wrote five Hannay books (the first is The Thirty-Nine Steps and this is the second) as what he called 'his contribution ...more
Kimmo Sinivuori
Sep 03, 2013 Kimmo Sinivuori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know that I've said this before but a classic is a classic. I got interested of this book through reading Peter Hopkirk's magnificent studies of the Great Game, esp. "On Secret Service East of Constantinople: The Great Game and the Great War, 1994" which covers the same events that the protagonists in the Greenmantle partake in. I think it was great to read this book while knowing the real events that took place in Turkey and the Middle East during the Great War.

Historical accuracy and prescie
David
Oct 14, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe "Greenmantle" falls squarely into that elusive genre, the "ripping good yarn." This tale of a top secret spy mission during World War I is all adventure and utter fun. "Greenmantle" is actually the second in a series of such yarns following the adventures of British officer and colonial engineer Richard Hannay. Though, it isn't necessary to have read "The Thirty-nine Steps" to jump into the second installment, you may want to brush up on your World War I history a little bit so you und ...more
F.R.
Mar 15, 2009 F.R. rated it it was ok
In fairly recent times I have read John Buchan's The 39 Steps, seen the West End play, rewatched the Hitchcock film and watched the not very good BBC version at Christmas - so I guessed it was time to hit the John Buchan's own follow-up.

The problems The 39 Steps had were largely compensated for by its brevity, the book does rush by at a fair old pace after all. It's sequel however takes more time, which is a shame as it doesn't have substantially more plot. In this the problems of driving a stol
Jemidar

I didn't like this as much as Buchan's more famous The 39 Steps as it felt clunkier and more contrived but it was still a reasonable page turner with an exciting finish. While many of the characters appear as caricatures to us today, Buchan saw this novel as part of the war effort and apparently based a couple of said characters on well known figures of the day. It is also believed that in 1915/16 rumours were rife of a German conspiracy in Cental Asia similar to the one portrayed in this book.

A
Valerie Kyriosity
Somewhere on the Y chromosome is a gene for being gripped by fight/battle scenes in literature. Being of the XX persuasion, I find them a snoozefest.

Reader was decent. He's done some professional stuff as well as volunteering for LibriVox. But let's hope his pronunciation is more accurate when he's being paid for it.
dragonhelmuk
Jul 24, 2011 dragonhelmuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Davis
Nov 13, 2010 Julie Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the four books featuring featuring Richard Hannay, who we first met in The 39 Steps. Having been fighting in WWI, Major Hannah is called back to London to hear the proposition of the official who helped him in the affair of The 39 Steps. A spy mission during which he is told he will almost certainly die, that will probably have him journey to Turkey, and to which there are only three words as a clue. Of course, he steps up and accepts the mission. I am just at the beginning ...more
Johnny Waco
Buchan's follow-up to The 39 Steps is his take on the "Great Game," the struggle for influence and control in central Asia, played for decades by the Russians, British, French, and Turkish. Richard Hannay is pulled from the trenches in WWI and given the assignment of tracking down the German plot to forment jihad in the Islamic world in order to send the British reeling in many of their colonies, including their crown jewel, India. Buchan's racial fixation (racism?) rears its head, as the German ...more
Maggie Craig
Jan 02, 2015 Maggie Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I swithered between 4 and 5 stars for this review. I found it a great read, an old-fashioned rattling good yarn. The characters are all engaging and the story moves along at a cracking pace. Now and again I drew my breath in sharply at some of the derogatory names used and attitudes shown towards people of races different to those whom Richard Hannay describes admiringly as "white men".

Then I considered, not that it justifies those attitudes, that he was writing a century ago. Also, the hero ha
Pravesh Bhardwaj
Feb 11, 2013 Pravesh Bhardwaj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced spy thriller published way back in 1916 works beautifully even today. The writing is simple and story keeps moving at a pace that leaves you breathless. A thoroughly entertaining book set in winter of 1915-16 travels from British countryside through Germany and ends in east of Constantinople as the war goes on. Sometime back I had read a book 'On Secret Service East of Constantinople: The Plot to Bring Down the British Empire' by Peter Hopkirk. Hopkirk was a child when his mother read ...more
Lara
Mar 23, 2015 Lara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, crime-fiction
The sequel to the 39 Steps was written for a different era. It referred to events of the day, which are unfamiliar to me, reading it 99 years after it was first published.

Curious about the author and whether he was writing from personal experience, I found he was friends with someone who shares many experiences with the protagonist, but he himself wrote propaganda material for the British Government. (He went on to do some great things as the Governor General of Canada.)

Part 'boys own adventure
Julia
May 19, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Greenmantle” is a captivating and fast-paced WWI spy novel, written before the War was even over. It is one of the earliest spy/adventure novels, and involved a small team of Allied sympathizers who go undercover into Germany and Turkey to uncover mysteries and frustrate German plots. Often changing their identities and dialects, they discover a Muslim Holy Man being used by the Germans to stir up the Muslim people against Great Britain. The book has a good deal of humor, along with plenty of t ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 10, 2008 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you in the mood for a classic war tale? Then I guess this volume is just for you...

This is the second of five in Buchan's Richard Hannay adventures written in a WWI setting. This time around (November 1915 to be exact), Hannay's mission involves the investigating of rumours regarding plans by the Germans and their Turkish allies to cause a great uprising in the Middle East. He is joined by his friend Sandy, an American John Blenkiron, and Peter Pienaar, a German prison escapee.

Miffy
Aug 02, 2011 Miffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing adventures of Richard Hannay, begun in The Thirty-Nine Steps, and concluded in Mr Standfast. John Buchan is such a classic writer, and a this a novel of its time. Be aware - this book used to terms to discribe different races that we find offensive, but it was written in the period after the war, when different values applied.
In this adventure, Richard is seconded to become a spy. He, and a number of other agents, are tasked with discovering what the Germans have planned for the a
Ian Danger
There were times during this book when I too felt captive behind enemy lines (see dull prose) waiting for entertainment to come and rescue me. The last four or five chapters it arrived in a flurry and i was swept through to the end. However i nearly admitted defeat many times before.

All in all pretty good but fell short of the thirty nine steps.
Jlnpeacock
Dec 27, 2012 Jlnpeacock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this and appreciated all the historical information provided. Having read "Like Hidden Fire," I was able to better understand Richard Hannay's adventures and see how much wasn't actually fiction. A fine read for a winter's evening.
Gayle
Nov 26, 2012 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to The 39 Steps and it does follow on nicely. I am surprised this one hasn't been made into a film - exciting travel through Germany and Asia Minor. I think I may have a breather before reading the remaining 3 Richard Hannay stories.
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Very interesting

It was enjoyable to read,however there were way too many coincidences that happened time and time again that became a distraction
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 10 Nov 02, 2015 07:38AM
  • The Great Impersonation
  • The Riddle of the Sands
  • The Four Just Men  (The Four Just Men #1)
  • Rogue Male
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • The Madman of Bergerac: Inspector Maigret #16
  • Journey Into Fear
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • Dirty Tricks
  • Trent's Last Case (Philip Trent, #1)
  • The Labyrinth Makers
  • The Rose of Tibet
  • A Gun for Sale
  • The Thirty-Nine Steps (Oxford Bookworms Stage 4)
  • Summer Half
John Buchan (1st Baron Tweedsmuir) was a Scottish novelist and public servant who combined a successful career as an author of thrillers, historical novels, histories and biographies with a parallel career in public life. At the time of his death he was Governor-General of Canada.

Buchan was educated at Glasgow and Oxford Universities. After a brief career in law he went to South Africa in 1902 wh
More about John Buchan...

Richard Hannay (5 books)
  • The 39 Steps (Richard Hannay, #1)
  • Mr. Standfast (Richard Hannay, #3)
  • The Three Hostages (Richard Hannay #4)
  • The Island of Sheep (Richard Hannay #5)

“I'm an economical soul, and if I'm going to be hanged I want a good stake for my neck.” 3 likes
“It's idiocy, but all war is idiotic, and the most whole-hearted idiot is apt to win.” 0 likes