Start by marking “You Can't Get Much Closer Than This: Combat with Company H, 317th Infantry Regiment, 80th Division” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Andrew Adkins presents a first-person account of the Allied drive to lock up German forces after landing at Normandy, told in the diary of his father, who died in 1989. Then-Lt. Adkins and his young battalion engaged in a series of bloody battles, suffering terrible losses as they took hills and towns from German veterans. The volume recounts both the mechanics of war and ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Casemate Publishers and Book Distributors

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Get Much Closer Than This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Get Much Closer Than This

Charlie
Good WW11 book but just too wordy for my taste. Yes, I would recommend this book to the WW11 buffs. It did bog down some with (as far as I'm concerned) with too many details that made it confusing and difficult for a clean understanding of what was being said.
Lois
Aug 21, 2008 Lois rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in WWII
My dad served with the 317th and never said a lot about th war. After he passed away I found his letters to my mom. The letters were pretty much day to day mundane activities but when they are juxtaposed to the actual events that occurred in the war it leaves a great deal to the imagination of what my dad saw and felt.
Bill Cronin
Pretty balanced and descriptive, these infantry guys were tough.
Dachokie
Dachokie is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Steve Spencer
Steve Spencer marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Joe M
Joe M marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Ivan White
Ivan White marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
David Cates
David Cates marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
KOMET
KOMET marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2011
Julius
Julius added it
Jun 03, 2009
David
David marked it as to-read
May 02, 2008