Start by marking “Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time” as Want to Read:
Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time

Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Lou Gehrig will go down in history as one of the best ballplayers of all time; he was elected to the Hall of Fame and played in a record-setting 2,130 consecutive games. ALSknown today as "Lou Gehrig's Disease"robbed him of his physical skills at a relatively young age, and he died in 1941. Ray Robinson re-creates the life of this legendary ballplayer and also provides an ...more
Published April 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Iron Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Horse

David
Jan 22, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
This was one of the best biographies I have ever read. Sadly, I wept at the end of the book, even though I knew that Lou died.

What made this book good was that the author did not try to denigrate Gehrig, but told it how he really was. He wrote of the quiet resentment of living in the shadow of Babe Ruth, He writes how the writers of his era ignored his feats, even when they occasionally surpassed those of the Babe.

Along the way, the author introduces us to all sorts of wonderful people from base
Jparker18
Mar 10, 2014 Jparker18 rated it really liked it
For the third nine weeks I read Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in his Time. I thought this was a great book that really showcased Lou's life and made he a relatable person. It really inspired me to become the best I can be because of how Lou was able to become one of the most feared hitters ever to play baseball even though he came from a very poor immigrant family. He was a family man who, before being persuaded otherwise, was going to stay by his sickly mother in the hospital instead of play in the Wo ...more
Ronald
Feb 07, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing
read SOMETIME in 2008
Ross Lenhart
Jul 31, 2014 Ross Lenhart rated it really liked it
It was the seventy-fifth anniversary of "The Speech". And I wanted to revisit a boyhood hero. It was a fast read and Ray Robinson did not let me down with his story of this American icon. Great story with a tearful ending.
Michael Mingo
Jan 05, 2014 Michael Mingo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if the book holds much value for non-baseball fans, but as a long-time admirer of Lou Gehrig, Robinson's biography captivated me for the week. The only issue I took is that at times Robinson's tone is a bit too reverent. But, then again, this is Lou Gehrig we're talking about.
Don LaFountaine
Mar 27, 2013 Don LaFountaine rated it really liked it
I love baseball history, especially when it has something to do with my favorite team the Yankees. But this book is not about a team, but a man who was cut down in his prime of life. Even non Yankee fans respect Lou Gehrig! This is a book any baseball fan, or anyone who loves history, should read.
Josh
Dec 17, 2009 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of like this book. The real reason why i read this book is becasue, i was doing a report on him for my launguage class. Sure i thought the book was interesting but it really wasnt my real choice if i got to pick a regular book i would read.
Scott
Oct 21, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like the Yankees, but I respect them. I also love a good underdog story. This was a great account of a modest, hard-working athlete.
John Desmond
Apr 30, 2009 John Desmond rated it liked it
This is a good, heartbreaking account of the life of Lou Gehrig. And still, his final speech at Yankee Stadium gives me chills.
Hanson
Jun 09, 2013 Hanson rated it really liked it
One of the all time greats. Humble man with a strong work ethic. Worth the read.
Cindy
Oct 19, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, biograhpy
This was a true baseball hero. Great book about a great man.
Robert Lisanti
Feb 12, 2012 Robert Lisanti rated it really liked it
One of my all time favorite books, also one of my heroes
A great read
Laura Harding
Jan 10, 2008 Laura Harding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story about a wonderful athlete and person. Very sad story
Brandon Randell
Brandon Randell marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Gmccs
Gmccs added it
Jul 10, 2016
Mike Hiskes
Mike Hiskes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Frank  Crossan
Frank Crossan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Erwin K
Erwin K rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Toddball
Toddball marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Ed Agner
Ed Agner rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Lindsey Mettler
Lindsey Mettler marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Jonathan Gallo
Jonathan Gallo marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Ron Hartley
Ron Hartley rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Dane Starkey
Dane Starkey marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Dick
Dick marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Luis Roche
Luis Roche marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Scott Wood
Scott Wood marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • October Men: Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees' Miraculous Finish in 1978
  • Yogi Berra: Eternal Yankee
  • All My Octobers
  • A Pitcher's Story: Innings with David Cone
  • Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • Living on the Black
  • 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports
  • The Old Ball Game: How John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, and the New York Giants Created Modern Baseball
  • The Last Good Season: Brooklyn, the Dodgers and Their Final Pennant Race Together
  • I Had a Hammer: The Hank Aaron Story
  • Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life
  • My Prison Without Bars
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Fair Ball: A Fan's Case for Baseball