Start by marking “Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time” as Want to Read:
Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time

Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in His Time

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Lou Gehrig will go down in history as one of the best ballplayers of all time; he was elected to the Hall of Fame and played in a record-setting 2,130 consecutive games. ALSknown today as "Lou Gehrig's Disease"robbed him of his physical skills at a relatively young age, and he died in 1941. Ray Robinson re-creates the life of this legendary ballplayer and also provides an ...more
Published April 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Iron Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Horse

This was one of the best biographies I have ever read. Sadly, I wept at the end of the book, even though I knew that Lou died.

What made this book good was that the author did not try to denigrate Gehrig, but told it how he really was. He wrote of the quiet resentment of living in the shadow of Babe Ruth, He writes how the writers of his era ignored his feats, even when they occasionally surpassed those of the Babe.

Along the way, the author introduces us to all sorts of wonderful people from base
For the third nine weeks I read Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in his Time. I thought this was a great book that really showcased Lou's life and made he a relatable person. It really inspired me to become the best I can be because of how Lou was able to become one of the most feared hitters ever to play baseball even though he came from a very poor immigrant family. He was a family man who, before being persuaded otherwise, was going to stay by his sickly mother in the hospital instead of play in the Wo ...more
Ross Lenhart
It was the seventy-fifth anniversary of "The Speech". And I wanted to revisit a boyhood hero. It was a fast read and Ray Robinson did not let me down with his story of this American icon. Great story with a tearful ending.
Michael Mingo
I don't know if the book holds much value for non-baseball fans, but as a long-time admirer of Lou Gehrig, Robinson's biography captivated me for the week. The only issue I took is that at times Robinson's tone is a bit too reverent. But, then again, this is Lou Gehrig we're talking about.
Don LaFountaine
I love baseball history, especially when it has something to do with my favorite team the Yankees. But this book is not about a team, but a man who was cut down in his prime of life. Even non Yankee fans respect Lou Gehrig! This is a book any baseball fan, or anyone who loves history, should read.
I kind of like this book. The real reason why i read this book is becasue, i was doing a report on him for my launguage class. Sure i thought the book was interesting but it really wasnt my real choice if i got to pick a regular book i would read.
I don't like the Yankees, but I respect them. I also love a good underdog story. This was a great account of a modest, hard-working athlete.
John Desmond
This is a good, heartbreaking account of the life of Lou Gehrig. And still, his final speech at Yankee Stadium gives me chills.
One of the all time greats. Humble man with a strong work ethic. Worth the read.
This was a true baseball hero. Great book about a great man.
Robert Lisanti
One of my all time favorite books, also one of my heroes
A great read
Laura Harding
Great story about a wonderful athlete and person. Very sad story
Seav added it
Aug 05, 2015
Lacey is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
Annielys marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Bill added it
May 30, 2015
Keith added it
Jul 08, 2015
Carolyn Burhart
Carolyn Burhart marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
San marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015