The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior

The Divine Mentor: Growing Your Faith as You Sit at the Feet of the Savior

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Many believers settle for a spiritual routine that lacks God's presence. But what they truly want, and truly need, is a dynamic, vital, and intimate relationship with God. Here Wayne Cordeiro gently but directly shows readers how to move from routine to relationship--from mundane actions to fresh encounters--by learning to hear Him speak to them through the Bible. Through...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published September 1st 2007)

Randy
Interesting account of how Cordeiro took responsibility for his own spiritual growth. Instead of complaining 'I am not getting fed in this church' he explains how he became a self starter and learned how to learn on his own. As a you pastor in Hawaii, he came across a biography of Titus Coan who was a missionary to the islands in the mid 1800's. Cordeiro slowly learned from the lessons Coan wrote about 130 years before Cordeiro got to the islands. As an RV full-timer, we do not have the luxury o...more
JJ Vancil
“Enter the Bible daily” (p. 207). This sums up what The Divine Mentor, by Wayne Cordeiro, is all about. It is powerful book about the power of God’s Word and how the simple habit of engaging in the Word on daily basis will dramatically impact one’s life. Cordeiro has a deep & authentic passion for Scriptures and that passion leaps off the page. This book not only paints a beautiful and accurate picture of the way God uses the Bible, but he gives the reader practical tools to make daily readi...more
Reid
One of the best books I have read this year. This is an easy-to-read plan on how to read, understand and apply what the Bible talks about to one's life.

Through the use of this 4-step process (S.O.A.P.), Cordeiro not only "fed" himself spiritual principles for Biblical living, he grew a church (many churches) in Hawaii to over 14000 people.

The daily devotional 4-step process goes like this:

S - select a scripture passage or verse
O - observe what you see in this selection, what is being communicat...more
Edgar Soltero-flores
I read this with about 6 other people from church. But spent more time digesting it with 1 of those 6 people. I got some useful techniques for reading the bible in a "devotional" style. I have passed on that form of reading to other folks I've met in the past two or three years.
Jeanine
what a great book! one statement the author made changed my attitude about "just reading" to "take note!": Pg.119 under the sub-heading of "Entering the Bible" - "Reading the Bible will tell you about history and tender facts. Entering the Bible will be like shadowing Christ. You'll hear Him speak to a lame man, to a leper...The more you hear about God and His heart, the more your faith will grow." All of this is definitely true. So as I continued to read,seeing the importance of entering the Bi...more
Amanda
Our church is doing this as a study so our Sunday School class is focusing on it. I find it a very good, insightful and easy read while also making me look hard at my own commitment to discipleship and devotions (which I will admit now is next to nil). I have a feeling that will change throughout this study, which is exactly why we are using it.

After spending some time doing the SOAP method of journaling, I have to say I really like it. While it was daunting at first and took me a while to work...more
Rowan
Jul 29, 2010 Rowan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: christians
This a very easy read book as to why and how the reader ( as a bible believing Christain ) should continue to study, read and journal from the bible. Admittedly it does seem to emphasize again and again on a number of its principles but to a backslider like me it was most welcome. It is difficult to rate this book because it offers more of correction/encouragement than self help or easy ending answer.
Cinda
I got this book on my Emmaus Walk. I'd love to have a mentor and never thought about the fact that God selected the characters of the bible to be our mentors. We just need to spend time with them. I really like the suggested journaling method and plan to order a Life Journal for each of our family members. I dog eared a number of pages to share with my family.
MT
This can be a life changing book...if you take it to heart. It is a guide to daily Bible Reading. I have followed this plan for over 5 years now and all will testify that I am a very different...in a better way person.

It is an easy read but where it leads is a place of great adventure, discovery and growth.
Rob
A very inspiring book. Encourages a consistent quiet time with God. The author refreshingly describes Bible reading as a way to learn from all sorts of mentors. He encourages that people read the Bible in a year using the SOAP (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) method. I highly recommend.
Jim Haw
This is a great resource to help anyone get started with meaningful daily devotions. Practical and easy to read. I have used Wayne's SOAP method of journaling my devotional thoughts for 10 years. Every morning it truly is like having Jesus as my personal mentor. Can't be better than that!
Karla
This book was extremely encouraging. An easy read, it compels the believer to become genuine and learn from the Master. Cordiero explains the discipline of devotion. I highly recommend this book to new Christians and those searching, also those who are apathetic in their spiritual lives.
Ryan Fisher
This book explains Cordeiro's approach to Bible reading and journaling using his SOAP acronym.
It is a really motivational book in terms of expressing the reasons to have daily time with God and the Scripture, observation, application, prayer model is short and sweet.
Matt Siewert
Cordeiro gives such great insight into the importance of setting aside DAILY time with God. The beauty of scripture is that allows us to learn from the mistakes and successes of others. He gives practical steps to developing routines and illuminates old truths.
Patti
Awesome book!! Looking for a mentor? Read this book and realize you have the greatest mentor available to you 24/7!

When you start sitting at the Lord’s feet and listening to His Word, eventually his thoughts become our thoughts and his ways become your ways!
Arielle
This book was a big encouragement to me and spoke to my heart. I liked the writers way of speaking and it was convicting without being condescending. Great book overall, I'll definitely go back to read it again in the future!
Fredd
Wow Excellent. I've started to use Wayne's method of devotional study for a fresh approach and it's easy to teach to others. I would highly recommend this book to those who preach, teach or laymen, especially laymen.
Jill
This book really helped me understand the importance of reading God's word - first and foremost. By following Cordeiro's journalling technique, my personal growth and understanding has deepened.
Jerry Guinn
What makes this book awesome is when you follow the plan that is laid out in the book, you grow closer to God, and develop your listening ability to hear God speak directly to you.
This book has good tips for getting into the habit of daily devotionals and quiet time. But it was pretty repetitive... probably could've been summed up in a couple chapters
Will Pearson
Reading this book inspired me to develop the habit of reading the bible daily. And that has been a life saver of late. Changing my life day by day. So simple, so inspiring.
Greg Davenport
Simple plan for letting God, thru His word, be your mentor without reading devotionals written by others. Great plan for reading thru God's word! Love the S.O.A.P. method!
Melissa
A friend just gave this to me and it's been really helpful to be reminded that Scripture was given to us to teach us through the lives of those who have gone before us.
Nancy Graham
Excellent "self-feeding" program -- helping Christ-followers to engage the scriptures on their own in an accessible approach modeled on Lectio Divina.
Wallene
Eye opening look at the power of God's word. Enjoyable perspective on the importance of scripture in our day to day lives. I would highly recommend this book.
Resa
This book is awesome. It really is strengthening and bringing me back to my faith.
-----------

One of the few devotionals I finished, and I loved.
Sarah Shrimplin
A difficult read. Highly recommended by folks but everyone in my book club found it to be a painful read (not inspiring). Call us crazy...
Brittany Sturges
This book started off strong, with some great personal stories, but as it progressed, it grew to be too repetitive for my liking.
Mark
Feb 15, 2012 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new Christians
an EXCELLENT book for new believers or for believers that have forgotten the unspeakable power of a disciplined daily devotion.
Sinhui
Another awesome book, full of great testimonies of Wayne Cordeiro and lessons how we can find mentors from the Bible.
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Ever Increasing Faith
  • Ministry of Intercession
  • The Overcoming Life
Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion Sifted: Pursuing Growth Through Trials, Challenges, and Disappointments Doing Church as a Team Attitudes that Attract Success: You Are Only One Attitude Away from a Great Life Jesus: Pure & Simple

“The more you continue to read Scripture, the more you begin to think as He thinks and act as He acts. And that’s how, over time, you gain the wisdom of the ages.” 2 likes