Start by marking “Dating Without Novocaine” as Want to Read:
Dating Without Novocaine

Dating Without Novocaine

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  775 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
For twenty-nine-year-old Hannah O'Dowd, finding a decent man in Portland, Oregon, is like pulling teeth!

Luckily, the self-employed clothing designer has a job she loves and friends to help ease the pain: oversexed Cassie (always good to have the opposite perspective, Hannah notes), analytical Louise (too much perspective not always good) and an in-the-flesh tooth puller, d

Published March 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dating Without Novocaine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dating Without Novocaine

Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiSlightly Settled by Wendy Markham
Best Red Dress Ink Books
42nd out of 107 books — 25 voters
Monkey Business by Sarah MlynowskiWhat's It Like to Be Married to Me? by Linda DillowThe Bright Side Of Disaster by Katherine CenterThe Other Mothers' Club by Samantha BakerGeorge & Hilly by George Gurley
Toothbrushes
7th out of 11 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Jun 25, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
During the hottest spell ever in Melbourne, I would try to do anything in my powers during the day to stay in A/C. It wasn't to hard and during this time, I discovered the public library in town and read this book over two days of just sitting there. Typical chick-lit, but not too horrible. Took place in Portland, which was nice, as a change in town is always appreciated. And lots of geographical stuff, which I'll have to assume was correct, as I haven't been there in like 15 years. Girl owns he ...more
Kristina
I started this one the fall I turned 14, but I never finished it. I can't remember if it was because I was so embarrassed because of some of the topics here (everything sexual made me cringe back then), or if I just thought it was bad. Maybe I'll finish it one day, but till then it only gets 2 stars from what I remember of it.
Murphy
Jul 27, 2009 Murphy rated it liked it
This is an entertaining book and well written. The dialog is witty and flows easily. My issue with the story is that it is too predictable. I had the ending figured out by the third page. Most love/friendship stories do have a level of predictability but this one was just too obvious.
Alyssa
Feb 23, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Predictable, but a sweet & quick mindless read.

"Maybe there was a reason love and war were so often mentioned together. In both cases, the casualties were legion."

"I spoke primly. 'Some girls eat meat, some don't.'
Scott gaped at us. "And they say guys are bad. You there are worse than any group of men.'
'Oh, we are not,' Louise said, wishing her hand dismissively.
'My privates are not up for discussion.'
'You were the one who insisted,' I said. 'And why is it always referred to as a met product
Sandy
Feb 02, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
A fast, easy and entertaining read. The main character, Hannah, is smart and witty. I enjoyed her ongoing, yet impossible, task of analyzing the thoughts and actions of men.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Set in Portland. Lots of places I know about mentioned. Some funny dates.
Vilma
Aug 13, 2015 Vilma rated it liked it
Simple and funny, not a must read but amusing. The plot is obvious from the beginning and the ending disappointing. Good for getting your mind off things.
Sara
Jan 15, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
A nice, quick read, but like a B movie, this wasn't bad but it wasn't stellar.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
a fun chick lit novel
Angie
Dec 12, 2009 Angie rated it liked it
A mildly enjoyable read mostly because of its setting in Portland and Hannah's great fear of dentists and love of sewing. It was fun to read about places that I know so well and I too have my own fear of dentists and love for sewing. Hannah however was a bit too desperate to be 100% likable. I thoroughly enjoy books by Red Dress Ink and look forward to reading more.
Rachel
Jan 21, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok
Ridiculous, I know, but I'm trying to balance something fun with McCullough's John Adams biography, and this definitely does it! All in all, there were some funny parts, but my book on dating would be much more entertaining...ha.
Cassie
Sep 03, 2008 Cassie rated it it was ok
My sister gave this book to me, apparently I need more romance books in my life??? It wasn't too terrible, a good way to waste a few hours. Semi-interesting charcters and a cute and predictable ending.
Bella Richardson
Sep 22, 2013 Bella Richardson rated it it was ok
A lot of stress in my life right now, so wanted a little bit of light reading. Light story of dating perils, undeveloped characters, easy read, but nothing to recommend to anyone. More of a waste of time.
Kate
Jul 26, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny for anyone who has played the dating game and thinks it can be ridiculous or hilarious! There were times that I just laughed right out loud. I've read it twice.
Kim
Sep 04, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok
eh...mediocre and predictable. as i expected. had a couple of bright spots but for the most part i was ready to be done reading it and move onto the next book. a short, quick read at least.
Melanie Jackson
Aug 16, 2010 Melanie Jackson rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh but I read with one hand over my eyes because it was SOOO embarrassing and felt so real. If my dates had been this painful I'd have ended up a spinster.
Sherri Hunter
Mar 15, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Good story. I found Hannah's adventures in dating interesting, if not all together successful. I thought the voodoo dolls added a humorous twist.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
Very light and entertaining. A little predictable, but that's pretty much a given with this genre.
Kara Ripley
Jun 24, 2008 Kara Ripley rated it really liked it
Not what I exactly expected. There was more sexthan I was used to in a book but that is not all bad...It was just a fun chick lit fast novel.
Shawna
Mar 30, 2011 Shawna rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I couldn't read more than about 10 pages before I was too disgusted with all the references to sex to continue.
Christy
Mar 09, 2008 Christy rated it did not like it
I don't know how to say nicely that this book was boring, stereotypical, and cheesy. Alas!
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Not my favorite Red Dress Ink author or story, but still a cute story with unique characters.
T.
I keep trying to read this book since I own it, but haven't been able to get into it.
Victoria Welch
Oct 16, 2009 Victoria Welch rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
Straight up predictable chick lit, but there's something comforting about that sometimes.
Rebecca King
Aug 23, 2009 Rebecca King rated it liked it
A fun breezy little read set in Portland, Oregon. It's a Red Dress Ink publication.
Abby
Aug 29, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit
Predictable, but not often is chicklit filled with such super bad dentist jokes!
Sue Salazar
Mar 15, 2010 Sue Salazar rated it it was ok
It took a while for me to get into this book, but once I did, I liked it.
Meg
Sep 13, 2010 Meg rated it did not like it
boring. predictable. overly portland-conscious. I just skimmed the last half.
Michelle
Jan 08, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who want to laugh
I laughed so hard reading this book, that I almost peed my pants.
  • Strapless
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • L.A. Woman
  • Burning The Map
  • Getting Personal
  • On The Verge
  • Pink Slip
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Starting from Square Two
  • How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
  • My Life Uncovered
  • Monkey Business
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Loose Screws
  • Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber: The Katya Livingston Chronicles
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Dating Can Be Deadly
Lisa Cach grew up in a farm near Portland, Oregon, a place she loves although she'd always trying to leave it. Wanderlust has led her to sail the Sargasso Sea, teach English in Japan, and trek the leech-infested jungles of Borneo. She has degrees in both English and psychology, two subjects that were fun to learn about but that guaranteed her low-paying jobs. Her father, she admits, may have been ...more
More about Lisa Cach...

“Dildos the size of which I had never seen, and could imagine no earthly use for, unless one wanted to keep one by the door to use on intruders. The sight of a woman confidently holding one of those monsters in her hands would be enough to scare any man away. And if it didn't, a smack on the side of the head with it and he'd be out.
I could see the headlines: Woman Subdues Attacker With Giant Dildo! And the article itself. "Police agree that silicone dildos make better defensive weapons than handguns. Their flexibility is reminiscent of a rubber hose, and leaves no mark except a red welt in the shape of the penis head. Being attacked by a giant dildo has become known as 'weenie whipped.”
0 likes