Start by marking “Super in the City” as Want to Read:
Super in the City

Super in the City (Zephyr Zuckerman #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  79 reviews
In this off-the-beaten-sidewalk debut, native New Yorker Daphne Uviller reveals the secrets of a sexy, story-filled Big Apple, where a mystery lurks behind every apartment door—and a savvy but slightly lost young woman unexpectedly finds herself holding the keys.

In a city brimming with opportunities for heroism, twenty-seven-year-old Zephyr Zuckerman has often fantasized
Published January 27th 2009 by Bantam (first published December 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Super in the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super in the City

Martha
May 07, 2010 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Martha by: First Reads win
This is a funny, entertaining, intelligent romp of a read. The heroine, Zephyr Zuckerman, is a 27-year-old unemployed college graduate living in an apartment in a Greenwich Village brownstone owned by her parents. She returns home one day to find the building's super being led away in handcuffs by the police. Since she is unemployed, her parents talk her into filling the role of super. Her very vivid imagination leads her into one scrape after another, aided and abetted by her four closest frien ...more
Claire
Jan 30, 2009 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Claire by: Goodreads
I received this book from the Goodreads Giveaways before it was released and I really enjoyed it! Not something I would normally pick up but since it was sent to me as an early read, I read it! And I'm really glad I did! I found out that Zephyr sometimes would build a whole scenario around something and inflate it to extreme proportions, much like Becky Bloomwood does in the Shopaholic books. As I read it I found myself laughing and shaking my head at her imagination and getting so far ahead of ...more
Alea
I would classify Super in the City as a sort of Chick-Lit Mystery, I thought it was a great combination! From the Chick-Lit side we have a great group of friends with interesting personalities and occupations, an obsession with an ex-love, and a mysterious potential new love. On the mystery side we have a bunch strange and mysterious residents and a former Super with two sides to him, among other things (don't want to give anything away).

I thought for the most part this combination worked really
Matthew
Funny, fast-paced and clever.

Ultimately, I'd rather see protagonists, especially women, with more confidence, less neuroses, and a with a primary goal other than securing a relationship.

The mystery was fun and enjoyably convoluted. I felt there were some loose ends that could've been wrapped up to improve the overall story, but it wasn't a major deficit.

Overall, a fun beach or plane read, but maybe not one I'd recommend.

**NOTE: Reading an advanced readers' copy is difficult. It's printed off of
Stephanie
I saw a reference/recommendation of this book on Feministing in a regular feature they have called "Not Oprah's Book Club," put there by Courtney Martin who is a smart woman. I very much enjoyed the book: quick-paced, witty, and I loved the group of friends. It was an absorbing read during my endless commute -- any book that can make me forget that I am commuting rates highly in my book.
Maria
"Super" cute book.....and the author spoke at our local bookstore, so now I even have a signed copy! At first glance, I thought this was some silly chick lit read......and yes, it was funny and light......BUT on the contrary, I had to look up SIX words in the dictionary. She's smart this author......and I told her and the audience at the book-signing that I was impressed at the fact that I had gained some new vocabulary/SAT words from her novel......she was very happy to hear that from me.
Jay
Zephyr Zuckerman is a 28-year-old slacker with potential. It's not that she doesn't know what she wants to do with her life; it's that so many things interest her that following one path means that she won't be able to pursue the others. On the brink of her high school reunion, Zephyr is surrounded by her successful friends but doesn't have an impressive job of her own. So what does she do? She becomes the super of the building her parents own and live in when the former super gets arrested for ...more
I won this book from goodreads last month. It took me a while to get around to reading it, but once I got too it I devoured it. I'm not a huge reader of chick-lit. I don't have anything against it, but it's not the genre I prefer to spend my time on. This book was a really nice break from the stuff I usually read.

Some reviewers have complained that it's a lot like Sex in the City. To that I say: That's a bad thing? I liked Sex in the City, a lot of people did, and if this book has some things i
Eva
Nov 30, 2009 Eva rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eva by: Angela
Zephyr is a 27 year old woman who is still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of her life. When the superintendent of her parents building is arrested for embezzlement, Zephyr's parents make her the current superintendent since she was unemployed anyway. What an eye opener this job is for her as she learns all sorts of things about the other tenants in this building that she has lived in her whole life. Who knew there was a prostitute living right upstairs or that another tenant is so ...more
Jill
I won this book off of goodreads, and while I'm all for a free book, this one was awful. It was so bad, I couldn't even bring myself to read it all. It was definitely a Sex and the City knock-off with worse characters and an even worse storyline. The main character confused me because if she was so smart why didn't she finish med school or go to law school?? People who are excepted to prestigious schools just don't decide to not go. Mainly, I found myself falling asleep trying to read this book. ...more
cheeseblab
I read this because I edited two YUP books by the author's late father, Virtual Justice: The Flawed Prosecution of Crime in America and The Tilted Playing Field: Is Criminal Justice Unfair?, because I met Daphne at a book party, and because she's a self-publishing young New Yorker.

And it was a fun read--my favorite chick-lit book since Bridget Jones's Diary.
Sandy D.
Fun chick lit with a protagonist that is smart but at a loss career-wise. (Though I plucked this off the mystery new book shelf, I think it's definitely chick lit). Anyway, Zephyr ends up being the superintendent for her parents' apartment building in Greenwich Village, while dealing with a slimy ex-boyfriend, her friends' romances as well as her own, jury duty, and many Walter-Mittyesque fantasies. I liked it a lot, and hope that Uviller writes about the friends, too. I want to hear more about ...more
MB
Didn't thrill me but was an okay read. I seem to be burned out with Chick Lit and this protagonist who is fecklessly living off of her rich parents was hard for me to warm up to.

Still...there were lots of interesting characters, an intriguing story line/plot, humor, and a great portrayal of strong female friendships!

I am also tired of reading about New York and New Yorkers. (But again, that's just me.) I think a lot of readers will really like this book. I just wasn't in the mood for it.
Kara
In Super in the City by Daphne Uviller, Zephyr Zimmerman takes over as the super of her parent’s Greenwich Village apartment after the previous super was taken away in handcuffs. Although plunging toilets isn’t Zephyr’s dream job she will find that her vivid imagination won’t come close to what’s up ahead. A hidden staircase, a handsome exterminator, and plenty of eccentric tenants will keep her busy while solving a mystery. The sequel is Hotel No Tell.

*Also posted to www.shelftalk.spl.org
Emily
It was an easy light read with an interesting story line. That is why I liked the book. However I did feel that it took awhile to get to the point and the author got too hung up on the character's sex life. There were parts that were too "sex and the city-ish" and that drives me crazy! These parts are small and can be looked over for the whole of the story. It makes for a good beach read or airplane read!

There were a lot of typos but maybe that's because it was a free book!
Carrie
May 23, 2009 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carrie by: Lisa
Shelves: 5-stars
Thank you, thank you Lisa for suggesting this book! This has to be one of the best books I ever read, I just loved it! I loved the character of Zephyr, and her wonderful, creative, over-active imagination that had her creating mini-fantasies about everyone she met and every possible career she could imagine. I loved the depictions of friendship and romance. I just wish this weren't a library book I will now have to return. I may have to get myself my own copy now...
Bonny
I greatly enjoyed this book. Once I picked it up it was hard to put it down. At first I found Zephyr's over active imagination a little annoying nd felt that it was delaying the story. However, once I got sed to the author's style I found her imaginative scenarios rather funny. The way her different activities throughout the story come full circle in the end is very interesting and I think made for a good ending.
Kelly
So maybe I've rated this book higher than I would usually rate this type... but I have a soft spot in my heart for anything that allows me to experience NY again. And I liked her descriptions:

"a male specimen to my right asked me something in a voice so bedroom-saavy I felt the polish slide off my toenails."

"A Harley farting its way down Fifth Avenue swerved to avoid me..."
Angela
I won this book on Goodreads.

It was very cute. It is about a girl in her late 20's who cannot get her act together. She is very bright but she is an underachiever. Got into medical school, dropped out, got into law school, couldn't bring herself to go. You get the picture. Her parents make the super of their building in the Village and the fun begins.
Jan
The story of a somewhat aimless young woman who gets talked into being her apartment building's "super." In the process of learning her new job, she uncovers and solves a few mysteries, finally forgets her wretched ex, and falls in love.

This book is everything a good chick-lit book should be: light, funny, and frothy, with a little sex thrown in the works.
Kelly
Cute, short & sweet. I found this book to be a romantic comedy with a dash of mystery thrown in for good measure. Parts had me laughing out loud. I would not hesitate to read another books about the same characters! Hope there are more to come.
Julia Jackson
I loved this book. I thought it was great, just what I was wanting to read and I loved the characters. Chick Lit for sure, but by a smart writer with engaging narrative. Forgot to add that I would laugh almost every page.
Corrina
Hilarious, irreverent, & honest. Be prepared for language and s-e-x. But I laughed my way through it though and felt a little more normal because my life and imagination aren't half as crazy as hers!
Matt Heimer

Daphne's very funny in real life--and, it turns out, three times as funny on the page. "Super" was a great summer read based around a sympathetic depiction of a certain kind of 20-something confusion.
Annie
This book had me laughing out loud most of the time. When I wasn't laughing, I was cringing at how much I identified with the directionless 20-something protagonist.
This was such a fun read! As a single girl, it is so easy to relate to what she goes through living on her own and trying to find love. I loved this book!
Laurie
A light read, but nice, fun, easy, short. Written by Judge Rena Uviller's daughter; it was the last name that caught me.
Julia
Picked this up by chance in the library and liked it enough to buy it for someone else.
Mairin
cute story about a crazy girl, her life, her work, her love, and her friends.
Lay off me, I need my chicklit!
  • Un-Bridaled
  • Phantom's Touch (Phantom, #2)
  • The Last Cahill Cowboy (Cahill Cowboys, #4)
  • Crossing The Line (Perfect Anatomy, #1) (Harlequin Blaze, No. 399)
  • An Insatiable Passion
  • Murphy's Law (Damaged Heroes, #1)
  • The Devil's Heart
  • Two Years, No Rain
  • The Flamenco Academy
  • The Marriage Trap (Trap, #1)
  • Betsy's Return (Brides of Lehigh Canal, #2)
  • Small Crimes
  • Here Today, Gone to Maui
  • Castration Celebration
  • Physical Education (A Murder 101 Mystery #6)
  • Married To The Boss (Maitland Maternity, #3)
  • Bunco Babes Tell All
  • About Schmidt (Schmidt, #1)
Daphne is pleased to announce the April 2011 release of Hotel No Tell, featuring the return of Super in the City 's hapless, lovable heroine, Zephyr Zuckerman.

Publishers Weekly has already called it a "refreshing, smart caper novel [that] will appeal to anyone who loves well-plotted mysteries and funny, off-the-wall characters” while Booklist says it's "an "irrepressible sequel...Snappy crime fict
More about Daphne Uviller...
Only Child: Writers on the Singular Joys and Solitary Sorrows of Growing Up Solo Hotel No Tell: A Novel