Start by marking “The Great Waldo Search” as Want to Read:
The Great Waldo Search

The Great Waldo Search (Where's Waldo? #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,394 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Follow Waldo into the realms of amazing fantasy! Find him among gobbling gluttons, battling monks, carpet flyers, great ball-game players, red dwarves, nasty nasties, fighting foresters, deep-sea divers, knights of the magic flag, unfriendly giants, underground hunters, and many, many more! Join Waldo in the incredible Land of Waldos!
Published October 1st 1989 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Waldo Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Waldo Search

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
You might be wondering why this book is on my "hidden gems" shelf. After all, pretty much everyone has read or at least heard of the Where's Waldo? books. Well, it's because Waldo is... wait for it... hidden!

I'll show myself out.
Steph Sinclair
I remember looking for Waldo with my mom and dad as a young kid, pouring over the book for hours. Now that I'm older and have my own kids, I can say with full confidence that this is the type of book that never gets old. It's still fun and becomes even more so when introducing it to a younger generation.

The artwork in Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Adventure is still as amazing and complex as I remember. I admire the skill and time that went into crafting every puzzle in the book, hiding the clues
Megarah Mae
Nov 27, 2008 Megarah Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
this is possibly the most mind stimulating book i have ever read! the plot is a little hazy, but the concept is spectacular. anyone who has not read this book is a truly deprived soul and needs to pick up a copy as soon as they can!
Nick
Jul 09, 2007 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the world
Even after all these years, I still find myself looking for the damn shoe on the last page.
Dave
Dec 03, 2009 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seriously? You're reading my review of Where's Waldo?
Selma D
Oct 14, 2013 Selma D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where’s Wally? by Martin Handford
Age's I would use it for: 3+

This is a classic book which can either be thought of as a book without a plot, or one with many. Following the journey of Wally (or Waldo) or the other characters in many different settings.

I think that this is an exceptional book that can be used to encourage children to enjoy books. Although this book lacks a lot of writing I think that it is a great resource to accompany any lesson from ages 3 to 12.I would use it throughout pri
Sarah Sammis
Aug 03, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc
Wally, Waldo, Charlie, Walter, Holger, Valli, Willy, Hetti, and Effy. What do they have in common? They're all the name of a traveler who wears red and white stripes, jeans, glasses and brown shoes. Here in the States we know him as Waldo but he started his journey as Wally in Great Britain. The third book in the series by Martin Handford is The Great Waldo Search (also known as Where's Wally? 3: The Fantastic Journey) and was published in 1989.

The Great Waldo Search requires astute attention t
Lauren
Apr 09, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
May 08, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This series is fun but, for my money, Hillary Knight's Where's Wallace is far superior. There is really no meat to any of the Waldo books and due, to their nature they are not suitable for read-alouds. However, some kids just adore them and I'm all for anything that connects kids with books.
Anna Motteler
Sep 11, 2008 Anna Motteler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books whenever I was in Elementary school.
It kept me busy and made me use my noggin.

So if you're trying to work and your kids on getting on your nerves, plop them on the couch with one of these. =D
Rachel
Sep 21, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Oh Waldo, you wiley minx! You had me a couple times with your yellow suited impersonator, but I was not fooled in the end.

Always an enjoyable way to kill time waiting at the dentist's office.
Kaytlyn Witcher
Where’s Waldo is a beginners book for children. It is fun interesting way to find Waldo who is hidden in picture. There are clues on each page that hints to find Waldo in the jumble of people and objects.

Classroom: I would use this in my classroom for students that have finished their work before other students. It will not only help the students increase their reading comprehension because of the hints that are needed to find Waldo. It will also help their mind sort through pictures to find hi
Readergirl77
May 14, 2015 Readergirl77 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nathans-shelf
OMG...just completed the Where's Waldo Fantastic Journey book with Nathan and boy this took me back some years. We did fairly well until the Land of Waldos at the end. I think we spent more time on the last page than the entire rest of the book! He had fun though.
Kashish
Apr 14, 2014 Kashish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-childhood
Oh the hours my brother and i invested into this book... it's not even funny. We were all "once we've found him we refuse to find him again" so we'd circle him in pencil out of pure irritation.
Karen
Dec 15, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you NOT love Where's Waldo book?! The illustrations and setting are phenomenal and often hilarious, and Waldo is just challenging enough to find to make the books fun.

Tara Frye
Jan 09, 2015 Tara Frye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a cool book as a kid. I loved finding Waldo. I loved this book so much I bought a t shirt from forever 21 it's so cute. I just wish they'd make these books again.
Rob
Jan 22, 2016 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I FOUND WALDO!!!!!!! What if you were Waldo's mom you would be like oh where did he go and now another long search.
Oct 23, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved looking through Where's Waldo books as a child. I still will glance at them when I get a chance.
Kim
Jan 26, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Hidden objects must find Waldo and his friends in eveery book.
Jed
Gooooooooooodddddd that was goooooood
Jean
Dec 29, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reads-2014
It was more difficult than the others
Somerandom
Jan 19, 2013 Somerandom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over here, we call him Where's Wally?
I think I own the Australian version of this one. Or maybe the one I own is completely different, in which case, this review is totally meaningless!
In any case, what child hasn't tried to find that elusive bugger at some point? The man has officially won the Hide and Seek trophy, because he is an absolute champion. A stimulating mind game for children and adults pretending not to be interested in finding him, alike.
David
Dec 31, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gods and Kings alike
Much like Tolkien's epic, The Lord of the Rings, you read through this 'Fantastic Journey' with the feeling that, if Waldo were allowed to talk, he'd tell tales more epic than the furthest reaches of your imagination.
Miss Ryoko
It took me forever to find Waldo in the sea of Waldos! Haha! This one was a lot easier than the last book. There was only two pages I had a hard time finding one item on.

Onto the next! (Where's Waldo in Hollywood... I'm pretty excited about this one)
Steve
Jan 04, 2013 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, series
This is the Waldo book that really hooked me. The third in series, Martin Handford really bumped up his work on the themes of each scene shown here. Every scene is extremely creative and a lot of fun to explore. A favourite of mine as a child.
PWRL
Sep 11, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Kaethe
Aug 04, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
How much do I love these? You can find me sitting in a bookstore of library, unwilling to check out because I'd have to put them down for a few minutes. Surprisingly, the PandaBat didn't really burn out on them.
Chase
Apr 02, 2012 Chase rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was definitely a disappointment. The magic seemed to be running out of Handford's work and I just didn't have the same tingling sense of euphoria when I found that freaky little man.
Elizabeth
...Does this even count as really "reading" a book?
J
Oct 25, 2013 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun and excellentooooooooo for the kids. So recommendable and worth a family fun night (or 8). Good for kids' observation skills, taken a while but hope we get through it next month.
  • I Spy School Days: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
Martin Handford, the man behind the mind-boggling Waldo books, began his career as a freelance illustrator specializing in drawing crowd scenes. The turning point came when he was asked to create a book showcasing his impressive talent, and the character Waldo was born — originally to provide a link between each scene. "I can’t tell you how pleased I am that Waldo has taken on a life of his own," ...more
More about Martin Handford...

Where's Waldo? (7 books)