Start by marking “Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)

Circle of Stars (Circle, #2)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Emerging from his hidden, pastoral childhood, Madoc, the prophesied savior of the druids, rises to fulfill his fate as messiah to his people. Fearing persecution, Madoc must protect his true identity while learning the ways of the ancient druids for control of Wales, Madoc sets out on a dangerous voyage to find a new home for his dwindling flock. It is a journey that will ...more
Published November 18th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Circle of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle of Stars

Drkazmd65
Aug 21, 2008 Drkazmd65 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Those that like historical fiction
Yet another of my Bargin Bin finds. I got this book at least two years ago, and started and stopped reading it at least twice over that time. It took me a while to decide that I liked the characters enough to continue reading it.

This book falls into a genre that I generally like - semi-historical fiction. It's not the best of the genre that I have ever picked up, but it was a good read, with well developed characters and enough 'reality' to properly suspend disbelief. This is a story that could
Benjamin Thomas
A follow-up to Circle of Stones, this novel follows Madoc, a Welshman and lesser know "discoverer" of the new World in the 12th century. If you enjoyed the first book then you'll like this one too. I've had both on my shelves for years and finally committed to reading them this year...I barely made it. The first was a bit dry for my taste and moved a little too slow so I had procrastinated on this second volume as long as I could.

The first third of this second book overlaps the first book comple
Gina
Apr 05, 2013 Gina rated it it was ok

This is a sequel to Circle of Stones. Circle of Stones was the story of Brenda, a mistress of Prince Owain of Gwynedd (North Wales). This is the story of her son Madoc, whom it was prophesied would save many Druids by taking them to an "unproved land" (America). During this time, the Druids were being persecuted by the "New Religionists" under King Henry in the 12th Century. It also contains the story of native people in Florida that Madoc will eventually meet. I am only 1/3 of the way through a
Natasha Szmidt
Oct 19, 2012 Natasha Szmidt rated it really liked it
This book was a little exasperating. I enjoyed the characters, and without them I would have given up on the book a long time ago. The prose was very clunky, mostly because it seemed the author wanted to really show off how much research she did, and thus would put ridiculous detail in places it simply wasn't natural. It became the equivalent of, "I think I will get into my combustion engine car and turn its round steering wheel, press the pedals to inject the engine with gas, and power the mach ...more
Delicious Strawberry
I tried to enjoy this book. There were many good parts, but some other parts felt somewhat stilted and childish. I think that this book could have benefited from some editing to cut out some unneccessary parts. The book also ended too quickly for me.

Since the author did so much speculating on a historical figure that not much is known about, I wish she had continued the story further. Since this is the second book in a series. I hope that she writes a third book, and makes this a trilogy, at lea
Patrick Bättig
Jan 15, 2015 Patrick Bättig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geschichte von Madoc, der als erster Amerika entdeckte um seine Druidenbrüder zu einem sicheren Hafen zu geleiten, in dem sie in Frieden leben können.
Natalie Cornish
Feb 20, 2015 Natalie Cornish rated it it was ok
This was an excellent story told by a poor storyteller. She tried too hard to give elaborate descriptions and result was more a distraction than an enhancement. However, the actual story was interesting and I liked how she alternated viewpoints. It also seemed well researched.
Serena
Feb 15, 2011 Serena rated it liked it
Slightly disappointed in this book, especially after having read it's epic prequel, Circle of Stones. The characters did not grasp me as they did in the first, and I found myself dragging my feet in trying to complete it. I only did so out of loyalty to Anna Lee Waldo and my desire to complete the story of Madoc, especially after the first one gripped my attention so. Unfortunately, unlike Circle of Stones, I still have yet to read this book a second time.
Renee
Sep 08, 2008 Renee rated it liked it
Great historical (maybe) fiction. The maybe is because they haven't been able to definitively prove that the main character, Madoc, actually sailed from Europe to North America in the 1100s, 300 years before Columbus, with a group of Welch settlers who were Druids trying to escape persecution by the Christians in Europe. Very interesting & entertaining.
Bekah Chance-Revels
Aug 17, 2010 Bekah Chance-Revels rated it it was ok
I rarely put down a book without finishing it, but I had to with this one when I got halfway through and the two main characters hadn't met. The outline is:
chapter 1: she weaves baskets and gathers berries
chapter 2: he mopes around and talks about wanting to travel
and on and on ad nauseum
Sue
Oct 08, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
Fun to finish this book on my Columbus day holiday weekend. So Madoc may have discovered America before Columbus, eh? This historical fiction reflects on that thought.
Jackie
Compared to Circle of Stones, this book is severely lacking. While the subject was of great interest to me, I couldn't get into it.
April
Jan 10, 2014 April rated it it was ok
The beginning was good but it lost momentum half way through. I kinda surprised by the ending....
Carol
Aug 07, 2007 Carol added it
Recommends it for: historical fantasy readers
Historical fantasy, worth the read but
the end is slightly unsatisfying.
Theresa
Sep 29, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
a story of self esteem and building your place in life
Debbie
Jul 15, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
Interesting, if you like history and myth.
honestly mem
When in the hell did I pick this book up?
Planet J
Planet J marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Manda Rubus
Manda Rubus marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Booknblues
Booknblues rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Joyce Chavez
Joyce Chavez rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Jenica
Jenica marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Laura added it
Jan 09, 2016
Lindsay Haas
Lindsay Haas rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Kristine Beskin
Kristine Beskin marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Mary Lou
Mary Lou marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
  • King Arthur and the Goddess of the Land: The Divine Feminine in the Mabinogion
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from the Mabinogion
  • Taliesin: The Last Celtic Shaman
  • Master of Earth and Water (The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal, #1)
  • Merlin
  • The Desert Smells Like Rain: A Naturalist in Papago Indian Country
  • The Violet Fairy Book
  • The First Chronicles Of Prydain (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-3)
  • The Mabinogi and Other Medieval Welsh Tales
  • The Children of First Man
  • Unseen (The Elements Trilogy, #2)
  • Showdown at Shepherd's Bush: The 1908 Olympic Marathon and the Three Runners Who Launched a Sporting Craze
  • The Sudarshana (80AD, #4)
  • The Mabinogion Tetralogy
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • The Pillar of the Sky
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • The Fox
Anna Lee Waldo wrote the best-selling historical novel, SACAJAWEA. Her interest in the subject began as a child when she collected spear points on the shores of Whitefish Lake in Montana and listened to stories of Blackfeet and Crow grandmothers.

It took her ten years to write about the first woman to go with a military contingent, with a baby in a cradleboard, half way across the North American co
More about Anna Lee Waldo...