Nobody's Angel

Nobody's Angel

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Patrick Fitzpatrick is a former soldier, a fourth-generation cowboy, and a whiskey addict. His grandfather wants to run away to act in movies, his sister wants to burn the house down, and his new stallion is bent on killing him: all of them urgently require attention. But increasingly Patrick himself is spiraling out of control, into that region of romantic misadventure an...more
Published November 12th 1986 by Vintage (first published 1982)

Jonathan Cortez
Another book about a depressed American. How original.

Basically, a guy comes home after being in the military. He has difficulty reintegrating into society. This isn't because of post-trauma; he didn't see any combat. He just can't reconnect with his buddies. There's some married woman he crushes on. Big deal.

The most exciting thing that happens is the guy punches another guy. Am I supposed to feel sorry for this guy? Am I supposed to relate to him? He's a boring, depressed, middle-class Americ...more
A.J.
Former tank captain Patrick Fitzpatrick returns from Germany to run the family ranch with his grandfather. His father is dead, and his sister is a victim of the family's apparent hereditary mental illness. Fitzpatrick himself is an alcoholic who suffers from "sadness for no reason." He seems to have no raison d'etre, until he falls in love -- but the object of his affection just happens to be married.

The first of McGuane's novels set in Montana, Nobody's Angel is quieter and more rueful than any...more
Matt
Jul 15, 2011 Matt added it
McGuane is one of those male writers who writes books based on his adolescent fantasies of what it means to be a man. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I don't think, especially when it's pursued with some authentic warmth (cue Jim Harrison).

With McGuane--well, with Nobody's Angel , anyway--the result is like the inverse of a romance novel, the negative imprint. Characters are jerked around on emotional forces that resemble nothing I've ever known or felt, and the whole thing feels...more
Matt Phillips
So many beautiful scenes... a book full of grief and joy and family.
Tom Galvin
McGuane is such as master of the language that it tends to steal the thunder from the characters in this tale which is more about character and location than anything else. That might not suit everyone. 'Sadness for no reason' is what the main character is suffering from and if that grabs you as a starting point to a modern western in a lost town in Montana then off you go. I loved it.
Marie
It's about the new West in Montana, where new arrivals from elsewhere are changing the environment and beginning to hangout with the old cowboys. Army captain arriving back home is trying to find his way and as he says lose his "hard to-shake case of sadness-for-no-reason.
Julia Pond
I read this for a second time (read it long ago, probably in college). I still think McGuane is talented, but I was struck at how much darker this book seemed to me now, with some self-indulgent or just plain lazy kinds of lapses by the author.
Jason M.
I blew through this thing, loving the dialogue and the descriptions and all the words I had to look up. Also, McGuane can write sex better than anyone I've ever read.
Theron
I'm quite enjoying this. A bit like Cormac MacCarthy, but funnier, and without any murders (so far).
Noah Forman
Noah Forman marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Andrew Pagano
Andrew Pagano marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Marshall
Marshall marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Ninety-two in the Shade The Bushwhacked Piano Nothing but Blue Skies Driving on the Rim Panama

“By your late thirties the ground has begun to grow hard. It grows harder and harder until the day that it admits you.” 2 likes