Start by marking “Nobody's Angel” as Want to Read:
Nobody's Angel

Nobody's Angel

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Patrick Fitzpatrick is a former soldier, a fourth-generation cowboy, and a whiskey addict. His grandfather wants to run away to act in movies, his sister wants to burn the house down, and his new stallion is bent on killing him: all of them urgently require attention. But increasingly Patrick himself is spiraling out of control, into that region of romantic misadventure an ...more
Published November 12th 1986 by Vintage (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Nobody's Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody's Angel

Christine by Stephen KingThe Grapes of Wrath by John SteinbeckGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanThe Great Gatsby by Julian CowleyA Death in the Family by James Agee
Cars on Covers
101st out of 136 books — 47 voters
The Alexander Trilogy by Mary RenaultNot So Quiet... by Helen Zenna SmithThey Were Counted by Miklós BánffyThe Boy I Love by Marion HusbandA House Without Windows by Stevie Turner
REALLY Seriously Underrated Books (100 to 500 Ratings)
95th out of 1,096 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan Cortez
Another book about a depressed American. How original.

Basically, a guy comes home after being in the military. He has difficulty reintegrating into society. This isn't because of post-trauma; he didn't see any combat. He just can't reconnect with his buddies. There's some married woman he crushes on. Big deal.

The most exciting thing that happens is the guy punches another guy. Am I supposed to feel sorry for this guy? Am I supposed to relate to him? He's a boring, depressed, middle-class Americ
A.J.
Former tank captain Patrick Fitzpatrick returns from Germany to run the family ranch with his grandfather. His father is dead, and his sister is a victim of the family's apparent hereditary mental illness. Fitzpatrick himself is an alcoholic who suffers from "sadness for no reason." He seems to have no raison d'etre, until he falls in love -- but the object of his affection just happens to be married.

The first of McGuane's novels set in Montana, Nobody's Angel is quieter and more rueful than any
Dhiaeddine
Après avoir lu Animal Farm et The Trial je trouve une difficulté à suivre la lecture de ce livre qui n'arrive pas à provoquer mon intérêt.
Murray
I had this book on my shelf for about 20 years. What finally sparked me to read it was that I found out he was good friends with (and admired by) Warren Zevon. I enjoyed the story and McGuane's brilliant prose and look forward to reading more of his works.
Matt
Jul 15, 2011 Matt added it
McGuane is one of those male writers who writes books based on his adolescent fantasies of what it means to be a man. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, I don't think, especially when it's pursued with some authentic warmth (cue Jim Harrison).

With McGuane--well, with Nobody's Angel , anyway--the result is like the inverse of a romance novel, the negative imprint. Characters are jerked around on emotional forces that resemble nothing I've ever known or felt, and the whole thing feels
Matt Phillips
So many beautiful scenes... a book full of grief and joy and family.
Tom Galvin
McGuane is such as master of the language that it tends to steal the thunder from the characters in this tale which is more about character and location than anything else. That might not suit everyone. 'Sadness for no reason' is what the main character is suffering from and if that grabs you as a starting point to a modern western in a lost town in Montana then off you go. I loved it.
Marie
It's about the new West in Montana, where new arrivals from elsewhere are changing the environment and beginning to hangout with the old cowboys. Army captain arriving back home is trying to find his way and as he says lose his "hard to-shake case of sadness-for-no-reason.
Julia Pond
I read this for a second time (read it long ago, probably in college). I still think McGuane is talented, but I was struck at how much darker this book seemed to me now, with some self-indulgent or just plain lazy kinds of lapses by the author.
Jason M.
I blew through this thing, loving the dialogue and the descriptions and all the words I had to look up. Also, McGuane can write sex better than anyone I've ever read.
Theron
I'm quite enjoying this. A bit like Cormac MacCarthy, but funnier, and without any murders (so far).
Starlon
Starlon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
jerry clifford
jerry clifford is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Don Flynn
Don Flynn marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Paul Carlstroem
Paul Carlstroem marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Sergey Osipov
Sergey Osipov marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Sherry Johndrow
Sherry Johndrow marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Valerie Doherty
Valerie Doherty marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
  • Sundog (Contemporary Classics)
  • Where the Sea Used to Be
  • The Same Door, Short Stories
  • Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren
  • Saints of Big Harbour
  • Wildlife
  • The White Deer
  • The Times Are Never So Bad
Ninety-two in the Shade The Bushwhacked Piano Nothing but Blue Skies Driving on the Rim Gallatin Canyon

“By your late thirties the ground has begun to grow hard. It grows harder and harder until the day that it admits you.” 4 likes