Start by marking “Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide” as Want to Read:
Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide

Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,587 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Ruby, a new, object-oriented scripting language, has won over thousands of Perl and Python programmers in Japan -- and it's now launching worldwide. This is the world's first English-language developer's guide to Ruby. Written by the two leading Ruby developers, Programming Ruby demonstrates Ruby's compelling advantages, and serves as a start-to-finish tutorial and referen ...more
Published October 17th 2000 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Programming Ruby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming Ruby

Manuel Menezes de Sequeira
If you are an experienced programmer wanting to learn Ruby, this book is for you. A word of warning, though: go take a look at Chapter 27, Metaprogramming. That's the place where the object model of Ruby is explained. Without it, the rest of the book will seem to rely a bit too much on your faith. Unless, of course, you enjoy discovering the truth behind the magic for yourself. I'm sure it is possible and fun, but if you cannot spend the extra time, do take a peek at that chapter.

Another warning
Marshall
This enormous book covers most of what you want to know about Ruby, and everything you never wanted to know. Its overview of the language is decent but seems poorly organized. It jumps back-and-forth between basic and advanced. Beginners would feel lost, while more advanced programmers have to skip around carefully. But if you don't skip around too much, you'll find nuggets that explain things much better than any other Ruby book. It also covers tangential subjects that you won't find in most Ru ...more
Jeff Standard
I was disappointed with the so-called Pickaxe Bible. If you're looking for purely a reference book with some decent explanations, this book is great. It seems pretty exhaustive for beginner-advanced applications of Ruby and takes care to remain somewhat "framework" neutral by always listing both popular frameworks as well as alternatives. However, a few things stopped this from being a great book: lack of applicable examples and inconsistent formatting. The examples were usually very contrived, ...more
Jenifer Hanen
Ok, so I have been teaching myself Ruby since last fall and I am in love with it.

Javascript: too wordy, too many f*%king loops and punctuation, mostly front end, can be used for some programming.

PHP: too many functions, hard to find the one you want, less wordy and loopy than javascript. Back end web programming.

Ruby: Beautiful. Elegant. Simple. Bless it. Very little punctuation, loops only where you need them and a not an overload of built in functions/methods. Back end, needs a compiler. Stil
Dave
Jan 16, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I'm reading a downloaded PDF of the third edition that covers Ruby 1.9. This is my first exposure to this language; I like it. I'm happy to say goodbye to PHP (fuck that language, it is made of garbage).

Um...right, about the book: I like it, seems pretty clear and goes through the language using several different strategies. Seems to function well as both a beginner's guide, in depth tutorial, and reference: a rare feat. Even the Perl "camel book" (3rd edition in particular) doesn't rea
Eustaquio Rangel
A must read for every Ruby programmer.
Antonio
Jun 19, 2016 Antonio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ruby is the fastest growing and most exciting dynamic language out there. If you need to get working programs delivered fast, you should add Ruby to your toolbox.

This book is the only complete reference for both Ruby 1.9 and Ruby 2.0, the very latest version of Ruby.

2013 marks the 20th anniversary of the Ruby language. We're proud that throughout its history, we've continued to cover the latest version of Ruby.

Would you like to go from first idea to working code much, much faster? Do you

Eric Hogue
Jan 18, 2016 Eric Hogue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is considered by many to be the reference on Ruby. I really appreciated the first 3 sections of the book. It shows how to program in Ruby, how to install and configure it and more advanced topics. The chapter on meta-programming is very good.

The last part is a library reference. It can be a great way to find out what's available, but after that, it's probably faster to look for it on the internet.
Gishu
Aug 22, 2016 Gishu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true "gem" of a language. This book is important because it kickstarted global awareness of a Japanese programming language towards a constantly growing legion of fans.

Would highly recommend starting off with this one + then getting "The Ruby Programming Language"
Piotr Zurek
May 05, 2013 Piotr Zurek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is the "go to" Ruby book for a reason. If you want to learn Ruby (why wouldn't you?) you pretty much HAVE to read it. A number for things that I didn't quite understand earlier, have just "clicked" when reading this book. I definitely feel like knowledge I got from it was worth the time spend reading this book.

If you're a complete complete Ruby novice (like me) you will want to read straight through the first 3 parts. Part 4 is a dry Ruby Library Reference, so you may want to leave that out u
D.N.
Aug 21, 2012 D.N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook, programming
A tour de force journey through the dynamic, object-oriented language known as Ruby, with over 200 pages of new material and full descriptions of all the standard library modules. Covers strings, classes, blocks, and regular expressions with thorough examples. This book has such a reputation as the definitive reference for learning Ruby that it is simply called "The Pickaxe Book" in the programming community. There are many Ruby tutorials and references on the web, but the beauty of this book is ...more
Erik Mallinson
It's the definitive guide to Ruby, affectionately called PickAxe. You basically have to read it.

Now that I have I've realized that it's a great resource for things but the first part of the book where Ruby is described in a tutorial style was totally useless to me. The examples were a bit boring and the stabs at humor should have really been left unstabbed. All in all it was a perfect example of cookie-cutter programming books.

However - I would HIGHLY recommend the pdf version to those learning
Fernando Fernandes
This book lacks structure and organization. It constantly jumps from simple to complex examples and it's hard to get the author's intention. It's just too confusing. In parallel, I'm reading Apple's Swift book. It's impossible not to compare. I'm not talking about the language, but how the books were structured. Apple targets the reader, making the programmer comfortable with the language. This book is the opposite. It made me feel uncomfortable with Ruby. I might use it as a reference book, but ...more
Clifford
Mar 01, 2008 Clifford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: programmers, computer language nerds, people who want to know what all the hype is about
Shelves: techbooks
Very nice introduction to a very cool programming language. I like the way the author's started out explaining the language from the point-of-view of describing a hypothetical project that they were going to implement in Ruby and stuck with that metaphor throughout the book (even in the more arcane 'Interfacing Ruby with C' sections). The last 200 pages or so is also essentially a very nice 'Ruby in a Nutshell' type reference so you get 2 books for the price of one: (a) A good tutorial on the Ru ...more
Lyuben
Apr 05, 2015 Lyuben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You definitely shouldn't read it like a normal book... It's more like a "reference book"
Katherine
Aug 11, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bought the new version from Pragprog. Added a few errors on the errata list. Don't read this with an iPad. Go try the code samples. Some may not work on 1.9.3. Overall I am happy to have spent time reading "what I assume to have always known" about Ruby. It remains to be the most fascinating language I use. I am happy with how this book is written even if it is obviously not perfect (but looking forward to revisions). Their credits to the Japanese programmers who improve the language is good. R
Matt
Apr 24, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, it was a pretty good read. I starts by covering the language, getting you exposed to the fundamentals and how to actually write Ruby. The second half covers an overview of the standard libraries, letting you know what already exists so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I think it did a good job of teaching me the language and how to use Ruby. If anything, the book was a little short of more extensive examples, but really it's not a big deal. You can start writing your own examples wi
Thomas
This is a great intro to learning Ruby.
Mark
Jun 22, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby
The 'pickaxe,' oft-cited as the definitive guide for aspiring Ruby hackers. I'd have to agree. The edition I have was updated for the current release of Ruby and contains some gems about the inner-workings of the language that I found fascinating. Read it if you are a dyed-in-the-wool Rubyist or even a dispassionate student of computer languages. You'll no doubt find something worthwhile here.
Alex
Jul 15, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: development
Great first part, but quick reference for main classes is obsolete in world of Ruby docs
Marko Jevtić
Mar 15, 2015 Marko Jevtić rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written book that really serves its purpose. As a person who wanted a quick and painless introduction to a new programming language, I can say that this book didn't disappoint.

Most impressive part of the book is the complete list of classes and libraries that are included in the latest (right now it's Ruby 2.0) version of the language.
Burak Dede
Ok clearly its written for programmers at least know some other language. Book contains spot on reference and comparisons to other languages when introducing ruby features. Other than that its not a holy bible book as ruby community insist, if you are experienced I would consider Well Grounded Rubyist but this book has much better formed examples.
Mark
Jan 23, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard a lot of great things about this book, but at the time it didn't matter because it was basically the only book you could get on Ruby.

but i wasn't that impressed with the book itself. it works fine as a reference book and an introduction to the language, but it's no better or worse than the equivalent o'reilly book for any other language
Amar Pai
Jul 02, 2012 Amar Pai marked it as who-am-i-kidding-will-never-read  ·  review of another edition
I've never made it through one of these books. I always end up reading random snippets on the web instead. It's fine though, half of it is just library documentation anyway. (as is always the case).

I just need to figure out how to make irb give me decent documentation... cheat? ri? rdoc? how can this not be built in?!
Michael Minutillo
Oct 20, 2009 Michael Minutillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
This book was the beginning of a great journey through the ruby language for me which changed my style of programming quite significantly. The writing style is clear and easy to follow whilst at the same time managing to convey a lot of information in a concise way. I wish all programming books were written this way.
Lyle
Jul 26, 2010 Lyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I learned Ruby from, once upon a time, and while it has its detractors I still think it's a good tutorial (especially if you know some other programming language, like Java). Probably not a good choice if you've never done any programming.
Bill
May 29, 2007 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: current and aspiring ruby programmers
Shelves: computers, ruby
Solid how-to and reference book. This is how I learned Ruby, now my favorite programming language. I can't get past the author's name though. Every time I notice it on my shelf I think, "So that's what he's been up to since SCTV."
Mike
Jul 21, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The key reference for understanding the Ruby programming language. If you want to be up-to-speed on Ruby you've got to have this book. I also have the PDF version which is great to have if you're not by your bookshelf.
RJ
Feb 01, 2009 RJ added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby
Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide, Second Edition by Dave Thomas (2004)
Mark Harris
Feb 05, 2012 Mark Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to the Ruby programming language. Style is considerably more readable (an occasionally humorous) than the usual Tech book. Ruby is an object oriented, interpreted language.
  • The RSpec Book
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  •  Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
  • Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby
  • Programming Perl

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“You probably don’t want to change the meaning of true halfway through your program (except perhaps if you’re a politician).” 1 likes