Start by marking “Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison

Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
What was it about Ruth that drew me back, year after year, for almost three decades? Sandy Boucher asks herself early in Dancing in the Dharma. Delving into Denison's dramatic and sometimes tragic past, Boucher examines the life of this beloved and controversial teacher to try to understand what shaped her and informed her teaching.
In the great movement of Buddhism to the
Published April 15th 2005 by Beacon Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dharma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dharma

Melinda
Mar 24, 2013 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book and loved it so so much, I sent a letter to the author and then lent the book to my therapist. (See below)
Also, the spirits and the Universe in general are playful sassy beings as we know. I laughed heartily when she asked me if I am someone who has attended retreats with this wonderful creature Ruth (Denison)...Ruth, is of course the name of my beloved white Abysinian feline who passed in January....

Dear Melinda,
Thank you so much for your appreciative words on
MaryJo
Feb 22, 2015 MaryJo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy Boucher is a well known writer on women and American Buddhism. I learned a lot from reading her Turning the Wheel when it was first published in 1988. Denison is celebrated as an early teacher of Buddhism in the US, one of the first women. Denison is known for bringing in body centered practices, something she got from studying movement with Charlotte Selver. Denison was born in Prussa in 1922, endured the harshness of WWII and it aftermath in Germany. She migrated to the US in 1957. In LA ...more
Daniel
Mar 13, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is more a biography than a dharma book, though there are definitely some tidbits in there. I recently learned of Ruth Denison during her final days. After reading this book, I wish I'd had the chance to meet her.
Rivera Sun
Feb 07, 2013 Rivera Sun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting reflections on the life and work of Ruth Denison. It is more of a biography than a deep delving into spiritual philosophy, but then again, there's a lot of philosophy on the roadside of this woman's incredible journey from Nazi Germany to the American 60's counter-culture to the Californian desert. The stories of Ruth Denison's life are surreal, mind-blowing, and dominated by the force of her personality. The wisdom comes in succinct doses after the stories. Several times I paused, r ...more
Zan
Sep 12, 2008 Zan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dharma practitioners and all wild women
Shelves: dharma
A very inspiring and touching biography of a remarkable woman, buddhist teacher Ruth Denison.

I love it when people live through harrowing times and instead of closing down, blaming and feeling sorry for themselves, they open and learn and grow and thrive and rejoice. What a teacher!

I'm so glad there are women like this in the world.
Torgeir
Another must read book for anyone who is trawling for anecdotes from the Burmese meditation teacher U Ba Khin.
Adrienne
Jan 05, 2011 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating biography of an amazing woman hope I get out to Dharma Dena before she passes.
Jan
Jan is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Cayla
Cayla rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Katharyn
Katharyn marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Shelley Hainer
Shelley Hainer rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Nikita Pchelin
Nikita Pchelin marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Tara Outman
Tara Outman marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
KatherineMayWilliams
KatherineMayWilliams marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Tanisha
Tanisha marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Kelayt
Kelayt rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Steve Knezevich
Steve Knezevich marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Myriam
Myriam rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Jude Bischoff
Jude Bischoff rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Harry
Harry rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013