Start by marking “Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison

Dancing in the Dharma: The Life and Teachings of Ruth Denison

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
What was it about Ruth that drew me back, year after year, for almost three decades? Sandy Boucher asks herself early in Dancing in the Dharma. Delving into Denison's dramatic and sometimes tragic past, Boucher examines the life of this beloved and controversial teacher to try to understand what shaped her and informed her teaching.
In the great movement of Buddhism to the
Published April 15th 2005 by Beacon Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dharma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dharma

I just finished reading this book and loved it so so much, I sent a letter to the author and then lent the book to my therapist. (See below)
Also, the spirits and the Universe in general are playful sassy beings as we know. I laughed heartily when she asked me if I am someone who has attended retreats with this wonderful creature Ruth (Denison)...Ruth, is of course the name of my beloved white Abysinian feline who passed in January....

Dear Melinda,
Thank you so much for your appreciative words on
Sandy Boucher is a well known writer on women and American Buddhism. I learned a lot from reading her Turning the Wheel when it was first published in 1988. Denison is celebrated as an early teacher of Buddhism in the US, one of the first women. Denison is known for bringing in body centered practices, something she got from studying movement with Charlotte Selver. Denison was born in Prussa in 1922, endured the harshness of WWII and it aftermath in Germany. She migrated to the US in 1957. In LA ...more
This is more a biography than a dharma book, though there are definitely some tidbits in there. I recently learned of Ruth Denison during her final days. After reading this book, I wish I'd had the chance to meet her.
Rivera Sun
Interesting reflections on the life and work of Ruth Denison. It is more of a biography than a deep delving into spiritual philosophy, but then again, there's a lot of philosophy on the roadside of this woman's incredible journey from Nazi Germany to the American 60's counter-culture to the Californian desert. The stories of Ruth Denison's life are surreal, mind-blowing, and dominated by the force of her personality. The wisdom comes in succinct doses after the stories. Several times I paused, r ...more
Sep 12, 2008 Zan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dharma practitioners and all wild women
Shelves: dharma
A very inspiring and touching biography of a remarkable woman, buddhist teacher Ruth Denison.

I love it when people live through harrowing times and instead of closing down, blaming and feeling sorry for themselves, they open and learn and grow and thrive and rejoice. What a teacher!

I'm so glad there are women like this in the world.
Another must read book for anyone who is trawling for anecdotes from the Burmese meditation teacher U Ba Khin.
Fascinating biography of an amazing woman hope I get out to Dharma Dena before she passes.
Nikita Pchelin
Nikita Pchelin marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Tara Outman
Tara Outman marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
KatherineMayWilliams marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Tanisha marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Steve Knezevich
Steve Knezevich marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Max marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Terri marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Liisa Priyanka
Liisa Priyanka marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Catarina Sobral
Catarina Sobral marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2011