Start by marking “I am Invited to a Party!” as Want to Read:
I am Invited to a Party!

I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie #3)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  3,381 ratings  ·  212 reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In I Am Invited to a Party! Piggie is invited to her first party. She doesn't know what to wear, though, so she asks her best friend Elephant for help. Elephant's advice is odd to say the least, so Piggie will try on all
Published September 1st 2007 by Disney-Hyperion (first published July 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I am Invited to a Party!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Invited to a Party!

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinCharlotte's Web by E.B. White
Best children's books EVER
212th out of 1,031 books — 1,281 voters
We are in a Book! by Mo WillemsToday I Will Fly! by Mo WillemsLet's Go for a Drive! by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo WillemsMy Friend is Sad by Mo Willems
Gerald and Piggie books by Mo Willems
15th out of 22 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Rossy
Piggie is invited to a party and Gerald "knows parties", so he helps her choose an appropriate outfit!
The ending made me chuckle, and, come on, we have all been there, trying tons of outfits when we don't know hwat to expect :) !
midnightfaerie
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Bruna
Laughed a lot with this one!
Jess
Easy Reader
For primary students

Piggie has been invited to a party, and her friend Gerald the elephant gives advice on how to get ready in this humorous beginning reader.

Mo Willems delivers on what every beginning reader wants and needs: simple but engaging text, with only a handful of words on each page, and a short but hilarious story line. The story is told through a combination of dialogue in speech balloons (Gerald's are gray and Piggie's are pale pink) and expressive illustrations that prov
Thu Nguyen
Another conversation between elephant and pig. They get all excited about the party. I love how they go crazily "Party, party, party, party!" and when they ask " what if" question. Children can learn to answer " what if" question.
Craig
This is a delightful beginners picture book. Pages often times have not more than two sentences, but the main characters are quite entertaining. In the book Piggie has been invited to a party and Elephant "knows parties" and helps her pick out her outfit. Piggie often times repeats, jokingly, what Elephant has said. Repetition in children's picture books is rarely entertaining, but Willem has found a very fun way to use repetition and make this book even more accessible to early readers.

This wou
Kelsey
This book is constructed as a dialogue between an elephant and a pig about going to a party. The two prepare for a fancy pool costume party and they fit right in.

This book would be appropriate to share as a read aloud with children between birth and three years old. It would also be appropriate for children beginning to read between three and six years old. The text is simple and the speech bubbles will help children develop print awareness. The simple illustrations provide context and characte
S Collins
Oct 06, 2014 S Collins added it
Shelves: child-lit
Willems, M. (2007). I am Invited to a Party. Disney-Hyperion

Starred review Kirkus Reviews 2007

Choice

The main character, Piggie, is invited to a party; however, she is worried because this is her first party. This book tells a simple story and its charm comes from the use of repetition. Young readers can follow along easily because they know what to expect. The illustrator places the characters on a white background so they pop against the page. By the end of the book, children will laugh at thos
Mark Baker
Piggie is invited to her very first party, and Gerald says he knows all about parties. But are his ideas right or not?

This is another fun and funny book in Mo’s Elephant and Piggie series. Things just get crazier as they go along until we hit the perfect ending. Once again, the words are easy to sound out and the illustrations add much to the humor of the story. Great for reading and rereading.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Barbara
I Am Invited to a Party! By Mo Willems. Hyperion Books for Children, 2007. 64 pages.

Series information: An Elephant & Piggie Book
Genre: Easy reader fiction
Recommended age level: Primary (4-8 years)
Subjects and Themes: trust, friendship

When Piggie receives an invitation to her first party, she is excited and anxious at the same time. What will she wear? What kind of party will it be? How will she prepare? Her friend Gerald, the self-proclaimed party expert, has plenty of advice for Piggie.

Th
Teneka Howland
Kindergarten - 1st grade

Willems make excellent use of white space in this cute and comical piece. The simplicity of the book is welcoming and makes the young reader feel comfortable. The text is large and easy to read. The text is limited to three or four words per page. Some pages do not have any text at all, just funny pictures that engages the reader. Beginning readers will really be attracted to this book because of its lighthearted tone and repetition.

Related Content Areas:
Art, Social Stud
Becky B
Piggie is invited to a party, which is very exciting. BUT Piggie has never been to a party before. Gerald, thankfully, knows parties and is willing to go with Piggie to the party. But they must be ready! So they make sure to dress for every eventuality. After they are dressed for a formal-pool-costume party Gerald decides they are finally ready, and it surprisingly turns out...they are ready. (view spoiler) ...more
Ms. Reynolds' Class
We give this book 5 stars because the whole book is funny - every page! For example, Elephant says "we must be ready" and Piggie falls down with a funny face! All the pages have speech bubbles and all the words are in the speech bubbles. It's like real life! The speech bubbles are even colored so you know who is talking. Another reason we love this book is because it has a little surprise at the end. Read it to find out what happens to Piggie and Gerald the Elephant!
Christina Gouthro
I LOVE working in a children's library setting, and these books have made my days especially fun. The kids go absolutely Party-Wild-Bonkers when we read the 'Party! Party! Party! Party!' pages!

The books are clever, endearing and funny... and the illustrations are a crisp catalyst to transporting everyone in the room to the wonderful friendship adventures of Elephant and Piggie.

Thanks, Mo Willems.

Party! Party! Party! Party!
Heather
We just discovered the Elephant & Piggie series at the library and have checked out every one they have. They are a bit easy for my 7-year-old to read on his own, but he loves that they are easy enough that he can sit and read them to his younger brother without any adult help. The 5-yr-old thinks they are hilarious and has memorized several books. The two youngest act out the story lines during their play time.

My older boys (both 11) will read these on their own. Even I think they're hilari
Katlyn Britt
Piggie and Gerald once again make a smashing hit for themselves in this book "I am Invited to a Party!". In this hilarious book by Mo Willems, Piggie gets invited to her first ever party. She is excited to get invited to a party because she has never been to one, but is nervous because she doesn't know what to expect. Gerald just so happens to be a party expert and is fully prepared to help Piggie get ready and even go to the party himself. I love how Mo Willems makes Gerald out to be a knowledg ...more
Jenny
Mo Willems is a genius. This is yet another hilarious Gerald and Piggie book. My kids, 5, 7, 10 find them very funny and I do too. The characters have great facial expressions which helps non-readers to interpret the story. I love the minimalist illustration style and the limited words. It makes them fun to read aloud.
Heidi
This is one of the books my child brought home from the school library. This is the first year of library and I love seeing what he chooses. I have enjoyed reading some of this series on my own or for work, but these characters and short situation stories are great for kids. Party!
Sarah Sammis
I Am Invited to a Party! by Mo Willems would make a nice companion book to Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan. Piggie has been invited to a party and asks Gerald to help her prepare. Fortunately Gerald knows parties!

Gerald goes through all the different possibilities for the party. It might be formal. It night be a costume party. It might be a swim party. Gerald and Piggie (though less enthusiastically) decide its best to prepared for every eventuality.

It's cute for its absurdity and even better
Brianna Lanier
This book is about how Elephant and Piggie get ready for a party.
I was really disappointed in this book. It is my least favorite of the ones I have read this far.
An activity I would do: I would have the class write/design their own invitations to a party.
Emma
I honestly think this is my favorite Elephant & Piggie book (which is saying a lot). It's certainly the one I recommend the most, although that's partially cause it's the one we always have in stock.

Piggie gets invited to a party and she's never been to one before. Thankfully, Gerald knows parties. But what if it's a costume party? Or a pool party? Or a fancy pool costume party? THEY MUST BE READY!

Cute, fun and witty. Also, Elephant & Piggie books are my favorite recommendation for early
Nealam
Copyright date: Sept 1, 2007
-Elephant & Piggy are invited to a party.
-Students are engaged: ask students to guess what the characters would wear/bring to certain types of parties? (pool party, fancy party, etc).
-Funny. Unpredictable.
Sarah Adamson
This is a great story of two friends getting ready for a party. The characters are so well defined and you can see their thought processes so clearly. It really brings them to life! Great story about being prepared!
Megan
Another fun addition to the Elephant and Piggie series. Natalie and I especially loved the end--where all of the characters attend a fancy, costume pool party. Ha!
Stephanie Croaning
I love Gerald and Piggie, and the friendship and antics that they get into. This book is worth the read for the costume changes alone! Don't forget to find Pigeon!
Erin
I can't get enough of Elephant and Piggie. I love when I get to babysit and read them.

This one is incredibly cute and funny. I loved it.
Julee
Piggie is invited to a party and since Gerald knows parties he helps Piggie prepare for the best fancy, costume, pool party ever.
Kaethe
Mo Willems is so clever. These books crack us all up. Often it's easier to amuse a middle-aged adult than a ten-year-old.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
My five year old was laughing so hard when we read this together! We love Elephant and Piggie!
Nicole Godinez
My aunt is a Kindergarten teacher and has the Elephant and Piggie series. I not to long ago was able to volunteer in her class and read this particular book a loud to her students. What I enjoy about these books are its innocents. The story is about a pig who gets invited to a party, and what joy it brings him to know that he was invited! Her best friend Gerald the elephant informers her about the parties and what she is going to expect and all the other parties that happen. The stories are simp ...more
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Not a Stick
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • New Socks
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Little Hoot
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Brief Thief
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Today I Will Fly!
  • My Friend is Sad
  • There is a Bird on Your Head!
  • I Love My New Toy!
  • I Will Surprise My Friend!
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside?
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball!
  • Elephants Cannot Dance!
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!