Start by marking “I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)” as Want to Read:
I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)

I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie #3)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  4,624 Ratings  ·  262 Reviews
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

Gerald and Piggie are best friends.

In I Am Invited to a Party! Piggie is invited to her first party. She doesn't know what to wear, though, so she asks her best friend Elephant for help. Elephant's advice is odd to say the least, so Piggie will try on all
Published September 1st 2007 by Disney-Hyperion (first published July 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I am Invited to a Party!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I am Invited to a Party!

Jan 12, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Piggie is invited to a party and Gerald "knows parties", so he helps her choose an appropriate outfit!
The ending made me chuckle, and, come on, we have all been there, trying tons of outfits when we don't know hwat to expect :) !
Archit Ojha
Sep 12, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

That moment when we all are invited to a party. And more than going to the party, we all are excited as to what to dress up in!

Piggie is in dilemma and our Elephant can't bail her out.

They say a friend in need, is a friend indeed.

But best friends add to the confusion more times than not! :D
I swear the theme of this book is more aimed at parents going to dress party than children heading out to a birthday party. I never worried about what theme it was and my parents chose what I was going to wear. But still uber cute.
Sep 09, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Nov 16, 2014 Bruna rated it really liked it
Laughed a lot with this one!
Samra Yousuf
Sep 15, 2016 Samra Yousuf rated it really liked it
Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.

A hillarius short read that turns stomach upside down and downside up as the story follows....
Gerald knows best how to dress up for parties,and of course he is gonna do a job of designer here!
is is another fun and funny book in Mo’s Elephant and Piggie series. Things just get crazier as they go along until we hit the perfect ending. Once again, the words are easy to sound out an
Oct 19, 2008 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beginning-reader
Easy Reader
For primary students

Piggie has been invited to a party, and her friend Gerald the elephant gives advice on how to get ready in this humorous beginning reader.

Mo Willems delivers on what every beginning reader wants and needs: simple but engaging text, with only a handful of words on each page, and a short but hilarious story line. The story is told through a combination of dialogue in speech balloons (Gerald's are gray and Piggie's are pale pink) and expressive illustrations that prov
Camilla Betty
Sep 25, 2015 Camilla Betty rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh out loud! I loved the characters Elephant and Piggie, it has made me consider getting out the rest of the series!
Piggie gets an invite to a party and Gerald helps Piggie prepare for it as ‘he knows parties’.
This is a great introduction to reading with the added bonus of humour. The words Mo chooses are just enough to get the story across and engage the reader, and the pictures help convey emotions perfectly.
This book didn't go anywhere that I thought it would judging from the cover. And I liked where it went. I loved the party preparations. I loved the Party chanting. And the ending was silly but great.

10/29/14 Closing book for Halloween storytime. Them going to a party and dressing up in costume for it made it totally work! It was great!
Thu Nguyen
Another conversation between elephant and pig. They get all excited about the party. I love how they go crazily "Party, party, party, party!" and when they ask " what if" question. Children can learn to answer " what if" question.
Katische Haberfield
I wish you could have seen Angus whilst I was reading this book. He was crying with laughter. Love love Mo Willems. The illustrations as always are fantastic and really convey emotion.
Jan 24, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Well, Gerald *does* know parties.... My niece and nephew loved this one, and they requested that I read it over and over. Can't give a better review than that.
Aug 12, 2016 Casandria rated it it was amazing
Anna Wilson
Mar 28, 2016 Anna Wilson rated it it was amazing
Title: I Am Invited to a Party!
Author: Mo Willems
Illustrator: (if different than author)
Genre: Early Reader
Theme(s): getting ready, friendship, fitting in
Opening line/sentence: “Gerald!”
Brief Book Summary:
This time, Piggie is invited to a party! Luckily, Gerald knows all about parties and can help Piggie prepare. They are unsure of what type of party this is so they have to be ready for anything. By the end, the two of them are ready for a fancy pool costume party!
Professional Recommendation/R
Oct 03, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
My actual favorite children's picture book of all time.
Sep 28, 2016 Sheila rated it it was amazing
We love these books!!! My son and I laugh so much!
Sep 24, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
September 2016
Michael Dorsher
Sep 26, 2016 Michael Dorsher rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed how this one pulls together. Very imaginative.
Mar 12, 2016 ALB rated it it was amazing
CSULB 545 Class 2: Picture Book

Williams, Mo. I am Invited to a Party! New York: Hyperion Books, 2007.

[May contain spoilers]

Although others of Mo Williams’ Gerald and Piggie books have been award Geisel Medals, I Am Invited to a Party is charming, funny, high energy, and surprising! Piggie’s delight and exuberant glee at having been invited to her first party is shaded by her concern of not knowing what to expect. Her friend Elephant Gerald intercedes to help as a self proclaimed expert in partie
Michelle McBeth
Jul 06, 2016 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
SUMMARY: Piggie is invited to a party. But she is worried because she has never been to a party before. She asks Elephant to come. Elephant of course will come because he "knows" parties. Elephant comes up with several possibilities of what kind of party it might be and helps them to prepare. It turns out in the end that Elephant did know parties as Elephant and Piggie were perfectly prepared.

ILLUSTRATIONS: As always, Mo Willems' simply drawn and colored illustrations come across beautifully. Th
Jul 14, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
I Am Invited to a Party! By Mo Willems. Hyperion Books for Children, 2007. 64 pages.

Series information: An Elephant & Piggie Book
Genre: Easy reader fiction
Recommended age level: Primary (4-8 years)
Subjects and Themes: trust, friendship

When Piggie receives an invitation to her first party, she is excited and anxious at the same time. What will she wear? What kind of party will it be? How will she prepare? Her friend Gerald, the self-proclaimed party expert, has plenty of advice for Piggie.

Jul 28, 2015 Russell rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)

Piggie is invited to a party. Gerald is not. Is Piggie breaking the party etiquette by assuming she has an implicit +1? Hopefully she was granted one, and this is spelled out within the invitation that Gerald looks over. Otherwise Gerald, despite knowing parties, misled Piggie to violate this social norm.

And really, who is part of this friend circle that invited Gerald but not Pigg
Teneka Howland
Nov 30, 2009 Teneka Howland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
Kindergarten - 1st grade

Willems make excellent use of white space in this cute and comical piece. The simplicity of the book is welcoming and makes the young reader feel comfortable. The text is large and easy to read. The text is limited to three or four words per page. Some pages do not have any text at all, just funny pictures that engages the reader. Beginning readers will really be attracted to this book because of its lighthearted tone and repetition.

Related Content Areas:
Art, Social Stud
We just discovered the Elephant & Piggie series at the library and have checked out every one they have. They are a bit easy for my 7-year-old to read on his own, but he loves that they are easy enough that he can sit and read them to his younger brother without any adult help. The 5-yr-old thinks they are hilarious and has memorized several books. The two youngest act out the story lines during their play time.

My older boys (both 11) will read these on their own. Even I think they're hilari
Katlyn Britt
Apr 21, 2013 Katlyn Britt rated it really liked it
Piggie and Gerald once again make a smashing hit for themselves in this book "I am Invited to a Party!". In this hilarious book by Mo Willems, Piggie gets invited to her first ever party. She is excited to get invited to a party because she has never been to one, but is nervous because she doesn't know what to expect. Gerald just so happens to be a party expert and is fully prepared to help Piggie get ready and even go to the party himself. I love how Mo Willems makes Gerald out to be a knowledg ...more
Apr 18, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, favourites
I honestly think this is my favorite Elephant & Piggie book (which is saying a lot). It's certainly the one I recommend the most, although that's partially cause it's the one we always have in stock.

Piggie gets invited to a party and she's never been to one before. Thankfully, Gerald knows parties. But what if it's a costume party? Or a pool party? Or a fancy pool costume party? THEY MUST BE READY!

Cute, fun and witty. Also, Elephant & Piggie books are my favorite recommendation for early
Sarah Sammis
Oct 24, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
I Am Invited to a Party! by Mo Willems would make a nice companion book to Big Red Lollipop by Rukhsana Khan. Piggie has been invited to a party and asks Gerald to help her prepare. Fortunately Gerald knows parties!

Gerald goes through all the different possibilities for the party. It might be formal. It night be a costume party. It might be a swim party. Gerald and Piggie (though less enthusiastically) decide its best to prepared for every eventuality.

It's cute for its absurdity and even better
Becky B
Piggie is invited to a party, which is very exciting. BUT Piggie has never been to a party before. Gerald, thankfully, knows parties and is willing to go with Piggie to the party. But they must be ready! So they make sure to dress for every eventuality. After they are dressed for a formal-pool-costume party Gerald decides they are finally ready, and it surprisingly turns out...they are ready. (view spoiler) ...more
Aug 10, 2016 Craig rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful beginners picture book. Pages often times have not more than two sentences, but the main characters are quite entertaining. In the book Piggie has been invited to a party and Elephant "knows parties" and helps her pick out her outfit. Piggie often times repeats, jokingly, what Elephant has said. Repetition in children's picture books is rarely entertaining, but Willem has found a very fun way to use repetition and make this book even more accessible to early readers.

This wou
Oct 17, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
This book is constructed as a dialogue between an elephant and a pig about going to a party. The two prepare for a fancy pool costume party and they fit right in.

This book would be appropriate to share as a read aloud with children between birth and three years old. It would also be appropriate for children beginning to read between three and six years old. The text is simple and the speech bubbles will help children develop print awareness. The simple illustrations provide context and characte
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Super Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #2)
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Little Hoot
  • Not a Stick
  • Penny and Her Song
  • Chickens to the Rescue
  • The Birthday Box
  • Chowder
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow
  • New Socks
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)