But Not the Hippopotamus

But Not the Hippopotamus

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  7,989 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring nontraditional texts and her famous animal characters, have been printed on thick board pages, and are sure to educate and entertain children of all ages.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published November 30th 1982 by Little Simon

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
132nd out of 2,787 books — 4,083 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
65th out of 392 books — 401 voters

More lists with this book...

Argott
Parents are faced with all sort sorts of difficult questions. Are feature-length Disney films too scary for kids? Will taking away the toy gun that your child carved from a bar of soap inhibit her creative spirit? Is it okay to spank your children after they punch you in the stomach? And will the aforementioned spanking only teach them to try to run away more quickly the next time they assault you? (For those of you without kids, the answer to each question is yes.)

On each rereading of this belo...more
Philip Smith
A tragic story of exclusion, bigotry and prejudice, while ultimately celebrating redemption.

A satisfying read, but one I feel is let down by the lack of any attempt to explore the motives of the characters. Why were the moose and the goose together having juice without the hippopotamus? We do not find out.

Without wanting to post spoilers, I will also add that the denouement contains a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan.
midnightfaerie
A cute Boynton book with a story line that all my children could enjoy, even if it was just to be able to repeat the word hippopotamus over and over again. Not one of our all time favorites, but adorable illustrations and one we all enjoyed.
Hilary Yastrum
I think this book is great for beginning readers! Not only does it show perfect examples of rhyming words but it has a great life lesson tied into the meaning as well! The book shows a hippopotamus who watches different types of animals do fun activities together all because they have rhyming names. For example, a bare and a hare. The hippopotamus feels lonely throughout the book because he has no animal to pair with. However, at the end of the book the animals ask the hippo to play with them, s...more
Bookfanatic
I personally love this book and I'm an adult. It's a cute story about what other animals do, but not the hippo who doesn't seem to be allowed to do anything except at the end she does do something. She kills all the other animals because they were mean to her.

No, no, she doesn't. I'm joking.

The story is very amusing. My daughter loved this book when she was younger. Boynton's books aren't very babyish. She uses words like "cavort" "bog" which you typically don't see in toddler and preschool bo...more
Eric
This is a great poem about the trials of being a non-standard person in a world where everyone else rhymes. I think kids can get a lot out of this little board book, and think Sandra Boynton is a genius when it comes to short and pointed poems and her drawings accompany the story nicely, despite their simple cartoony style.

My Daughter and I still feel sorry for the armadillo though.
Racquel
Kathryn
Not my favorite Boynton. I know it's supposed to be funny but the ending seemed kinda sad/mean after the otherwise happy resolution. Though I guess we can assume the happy resolution would come later again. Could still be a good teaching tool for including everyone and not making anyone feel left out.
Kristen
What I learned: anthropomorphized animals are not as exclusionary and mean as they may sometimes seem at first. Also, animals are cute. And "goose" and "moose" rhyme with "juice."
Anselm
Really thick pages. Good for miniature fingers. A tale of odd pairings and outcasts, with a sequel hinted at involving an armadillo.
Valerie
Aug 21, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Valerie by: Karanina
Shelves: for-the-boys
Between Karanina and the boys, I have read this book so many times, and I still think its funny.
Karawan
I adore this book. It was a shower gift and one of the first board books I read to Gavin. It has such a nice read-aloud rhythm. I feel like Gavin responded to that even in those newborn days when he wasn't really ready to focus his eyes on the pictures yet.

My sister hates it and refuses to read it to him because she says it's mean to the hippopotamus. But I never read it as the animals intentionally excluding the hippopotamus. They do invite her to join them at the end. I see it as being about s...more
ReadingJungle.com
Sandra Boynton, popular author of twenty-two books for children and adults, brings us But Not the Hippopotamus. Bright and charming illustrations will draw children’s attention while cherished animal characters are involved in a rhythmical and simple story intended to deliver giggling smiles and moral lessons.

All the animals in this tale join together and do tasks and have fun with one another, but not the hippopotamus. This latter phrase is repeated throughout the book as the animal sadly watc...more
Aiyana
This was Uggle's third book ever, at age 24 months!

All the animals may still be "doggie" to him, but he loves the rhymes and the bright colors. And he identified "hats" and "juice" on the appropriate pages after only one or two readings. He also knows the words Run, Stay, and Go for certain. Not sure how much of the rest he understands yet.

I look forward to the day when he tries to say "hippopotamus."
Shanna Gonzalez
Once again, Sandra Boynton makes it look easy to produce a rhythmic, repetitive, and hilarious story that the youngest tots and the most jaded adults will enjoy. In this simple plot, a shy hippo watches as other animals engage in social activities, and the refrain repeats, "But not the hippopotamus." Finally, the other animals invite her along and, after dithering a moment, she leaps into the fun... leaving behind another wallflower: "But not the armadillo."

Almost everyone has felt shy at some t...more
Shelli Gheen
But Not the Hippopotamus (1995) by Sandra Boynton tells the story of the poor hippopotamus who is left out of everything her friends are doing. The other animals don't realize this and soon come to invite her along...only to leave someone else out. A great rhyming story that could really be a participatory story, too. Children will chime in with "but not the hippopotamus!"

Themes: Friendship; Loneliness

Ways to use this with children:
* Read this to children and talk about the hippopotamus' feeli...more
Emily Morris
This may be one of Boynton's more complex books (as far as words as concerned) but it is one of my favorites and makes me laugh about as much as my daughter. Cute illustrations, great beat, and a fun twist of silliness.
J Marsano
The skinny: a lonely odd-duck hippo misses out on fun and friends, until the pack of them do the right thing and realize they're leaving hippo out. Hippo is included. In a tail-end pattern loop, the armadillo is left out, leaving adult reader and child listener to ponder the injustice of it all and the likelihood of armadillo becoming a member of the gang, or graduating to juvy/gladiator academy in Oakland and living out a life of crime. A nice little lesson book served up with a minimum of angs...more
Mary
My 2 year old says: "It was amazing. I really liked it." At the end, he says "the armadillo is sad because he wants to come. The armadillo wants to cry." Hugs.
Bethany
I'd forgotten the title of this book until it showed up in my Goodreads suggestions. My word, I loved this book as a child! I read it until the cover came apart.

Thematically, it's along the same lines as Green Eggs and Ham (i.e., a character seems stubbornly opposed to something fun, but secretly he/she actually wants to try it). But this book had the added bonus of the word hippopotamus, which, at four years old, is the height of comedy. (Oh, who am I kidding. . .I'm snickering about it right n...more
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary
Annotation
Age appropriateness
Connection to six early literacy skills
Five practices
Opinion
Terry
Delightful rhymes and pictures with a gentle message about inclusiveness. Great for preschoolers of all ages.
Elizabeth
I can't stand this book. For a variety of reasons.

It gets 2 stars, though, for 2 reasons. My (yes, 2 year old) daughter LOVES it. And she is adorable when she says "hipponamus" at the end of each page.
Sarah Sammis
But Not the Hippopotamus rings true to anyone who has felt excluded. On each page a pair of friends are doing something fun while the hippopotamus looks on. The story is told in verse with the title of the book ending each stanza. For this hippopotamus, he does eventually join the group of friends but not the armadillo.

The illustrations are cute and poignant. Boynton captures the growing sadness of the hippopotamus perfectly. Each page his frown gets a little longer and his eyes a little sadder....more
Lea
I love hippos. This books has a hippo. It has lots of other animals in it. Nice illustrations.
Robert
An insightful allegory of overcoming a painful psychological challenge of obesity, gently hidden within fun rhythm, rhyme, and illustrations. The hippopotamus, a natural metaphor for an overweight person, excludes herself from the many adventures being had by the other animals. When invited to take part, in a physical activity, she ultimately overcomes her insecurity and joins the fun. The armadillo, an animal whose "emotional armor" is always up, does not. The allegory extends nicely to many se...more
Connie
Poor li'l armadillo. *sniff*

There isn't a moral message in this story. A hippo sulks while her friends have fun without her (I always think of the hippo as a girl, anyway) - probably not even noticing that she's there.

This is great for hamming it up, with lots of fake sobs as the story goes on.

Then she is given her metaphorical engraved invitation and is delighted to join in. And now the armadillo is on the sidelines, probably to have his own (armadillo always seemed like a guy to me) happy endi...more
Katy Bennett
Lots of fun, rhyming silliness!
Biondy
Hihihi... Bukunya lucu. Jadi ceritanya ada hewan-hewan beda jenis yang sedang melakukan suatu aktivitas bersama-sama. Sayangnya si hipo tidak punya pasangan binatang yang namanya berima dengannya. Akibatnya dia cuma bisa ngeliatin binatang yang lain dengan wajah sedih bin ngarep.

Ceritanya lucu dan rimanya juga enak didengar. Semisal:

"A hog and a frog do a dance in the bog."

lalu selalu diakhiri dengan:

"But not the hippopotamus."

Shirley
Such a clever and easy to read book. It is a very short picture book about all these animals doing different things and leaving out the hippopotamus. This book is definitely for very young children maybe K or 1st grade. It has much rhyme and all the illustrations go with every animal teaching children which animal is what. It also teaches the children to be friendly with everyone and not to leave anyone behind. The end is very comical and sweet!
=[ 3 29 Jun 25, 2011 05:35AM
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • First 100 Words
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Yummy Yucky
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play With Their Friends?
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Hug
  • You're All My Favorites
  • Tails
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • I Am a Bunny
  • The Very Lonely Firefly
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed...more
More about Sandra Boynton...
Moo, Baa, La La La! The Going to Bed Book Barnyard Dance Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton Board Books) Pajama Time!