Start by marking “2XS (Shadowrun, #4)” as Want to Read:
2XS (Shadowrun, #4)

2XS (Shadowrun (FASA Novel Series))

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  579 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Dirk Montgomery glaubt, er kennt sich aus im Sprawl. Das sollte er auch - als Privatdetektiv des Jahres 2052. Doch dann wird ihm ein Mord in die Schuhe geschoben, kurz darauf ein Anschlag auf ihn verübt. Und da weiß er plötzlich nicht mehr, was gespielt wird.
Dirk taucht ein in die Schatten, wirft sein Netz aus nach Informationen und fängt sich dabei einen Chip ein – 2XS, d
Taschenbuch, 7. Auflage, 462 pages
Published 1997 by Heyne (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about 2XS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2XS

Monk
Nov 23, 2007 Monk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Shadowrun Fans
Shelves: sci-fi
God rest Nigel Findley's soul. He was the best Shadowrun author of the lot.

The details of the book are hazy at this point (this is a popcorn read from early high school) but I remember that it dealt with the digital drug trade of the Shadowrun world. Most wireheads in Seattle are fine with an illegal kind of simstim chip called BTL: Better Than Life. With BTL chips, your brain can experience any of a vast array of sensory input. Depending on the recording, you can experience emotional highs from
Gottfried Neuner
Mar 15, 2015 Gottfried Neuner rated it liked it
Meh.

It's not really that this is a bad book, but it is one of these franchised books that are entertaining but ultimately forgettable. In fact I had to look up the name of the main character for this review.

And so here we have a novel about one Dirk Montgomery, a private dick in Shadowrun's Seattle of the 2050s (meaning there is both cybertech and magic around) who is just good at what he does. A human norm without cybertech and magic, who generally survives on wits alone, despite being pretty
Phil M
Apr 12, 2012 Phil M rated it really liked it
Shelves: shadowrun
I love the writing style of this book. In the past, I have not really been a fan of first-person storytelling. It works very well in this book, however. Maybe its the kind of noir-esque, hard-boiled detective story that it is that makes it work. I dunno. I enjoyed the main character - his sense of humor and style were engaging. RIP Nigel, you done good!
Micah Erskine
Apr 01, 2007 Micah Erskine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hard-boiled detective/action fans
I LOVE this book. More specifically, Derek "Dirk" Montgomery is one of my all time favourite characters. It's not great literature, but it's a good story that hits all the right (formulaic?) notes.

I pull it out every so often, once the details have gotten a little fuzzy, and enjoy it all over again.
Nick
Feb 16, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Despite being a tie-in novel, 2XS is a well written and entertaining example of how Cyberpunk was able to capture the imaginations of a generation.

Any fan of cyberpunk, shadowrun or web urban fantasy ought to find something to like about it.
David Anderson
Mar 14, 2013 David Anderson rated it it was amazing
Best way I can describe it is to imagine a mix of a Raymond Chandler, William Gibson, and J.R.R Tolkien. Hard boiled detective, dystopian sci-fi, and elves and magic. Great stuff.
Shane C
Jul 29, 2012 Shane C rated it really liked it
The only Shadowrun novel that actually stuck with me.
J.D. Holman
Feb 24, 2015 J.D. Holman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science_fiction
This was a mostly enjoyable jaunt in the realm of 2050s Shadowrun, written back in the early 1990s before anyone gave wireless a thought. I love the jargon of these books and the role-playing game system. This drek is wiz! That said, I felt that all the plots and subplots of the book came together far too neatly. A conspiracy is one thing, but to actually connect about twenty different things almost randomly hampers my suspension of disbelief.

I don't like things hampering my suspension of disbel
David Sarkies
May 01, 2014 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shadowrun Fans
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: sci-fi
Drugs of the Cyberpunk World
(8 Feb 2012)

Finally, a change in direction for the Shadowrun novels. We are no longer dealing with Verner and his co-horts and are now back in the streets of Seattle following the detective Dick Montgomery. Well, I have now found a pre-cursor to the Harry Dresden novels, though Montgomery is a non-magical detective in a magical world. As with most Shadowrun novels, magic is involved, and that is probably because if there were no magic, then it would simply be a cybe
Feb 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
This is a Shadowrun book, so I felt it had to be judged against other books in the same series and other series like it.

Overall, the story is pretty good. It definitely flows the way that an actual game of Shadowrun would, including use of contacts, shadowruns-gone-bad, discussion of gear, etc.

The story begins and ends weakly - it takes a while to get into the story. However the author writes action sequences very well and once the pace picks up the story becomes compelling.

It's a fun read. Cert
Ifelidy
Dec 01, 2015 Ifelidy rated it liked it
It was okay, the Shadowrun novels generally suffer from the same thing, which is that they're more meant to expand a universe rather than to tell an entertaining story, at least that's what I draw from it. Nigel Findley is the least gruesome offender of this, but his books do still suffer from it. Overall, I'd recommend it though.
Matthijs Krul
Apr 02, 2016 Matthijs Krul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a Shadowrun novelization, which I never thought I'd find myself reading. But it's real fun, and if you love the Shadowrun universe's use of tropes as much as I do, you will love this too. It's also a pretty decently written and action-packed body horror book in its own right.
Karen
May 26, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Let's call this 3.5. A solid intro to the Shadowrun universe, teaching important lessons like "Don't be a contact for a runner" and "No, really, don't be a contact for a runner!" This book takes the reader through all of 2052 Seattle's boroughs, with ample navigation tips should one wish to recreate Dirk's route through the sprawl. Also needed more Rosebud. She was adorable in a dwarfy way.
John
Oct 18, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Reddit in late high school or early college. RIP Nigel Findley. I remember thinking of his work as standalone-quality cyberpunk for a gamer's market.
Jessica Macri
May 16, 2015 Jessica Macri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
while written in the 80s, these books are timeless. really good. kept me guessing the whole time. the end was a real shocker!
David
Aug 04, 2011 David rated it liked it
Findley paints a lucid picture of the Shadowrun world, one that captures the shine of chrome and the flare of magic in the dark alleys of an awakened future. Along with the imagery is a clear depiction of military tactics, private investigation, and the seedier aspects of underworld dealings. The protagonist is well-rounded enough to fit the world view of most people, allowing an easy transition into their perspective. All around a good read, but mostly for fans of the role-playing game and its ...more
Michael Evans
Aug 08, 2015 Michael Evans rated it really liked it
Great story, really enjoyed it. A good mix of sci Fi and fantasy.
Greg Manuel
Sep 09, 2013 Greg Manuel rated it liked it
Shadowrun rules! I like Dirk Montgomery! Anyways, I've read this a couple of times and it really takes Shadowrun back to its roots in the streets of Seattle.
Donavan Dufault
Sep 24, 2011 Donavan Dufault rated it it was amazing
An old cyberpunk classic. A great intro into the world of Shadowrun.
Axler
Axler rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
G
G rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Buuuh
Buuuh added it
Jul 04, 2016
Ellen
Ellen added it
Jul 04, 2016
Fenix
Fenix marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Guintu
Guintu marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Undurael
Undurael rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
  • Choose Your Enemies Carefully (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #2)
  • Shadowrun 15: Burning Bright
  • Shadowrun 38: Ragnarock (Shadowrun)
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Beyond the Pale (Dragon Heart Saga, #3)
  • Into the Shadows (Shadowrun, #7)
  • Shadowrun 16: Who Hunts the Hunter?
  • Shadowrun 32: Wolf and Raven
  • Run Hard, Die Fast (Shadowrun, #35)
  • Changeling
  • Psychotrope (Shadowrun, #33)
  • The Shadowrun 34: Terminus Experiment
  • Shadowrun 18: Worlds without End
Nigel D Findley (July 22, 1959 – February 19, 1995[1]) was a game designer, editor, and an author of science fiction and fantasy novels and role-playing games (RPGs). Findley died suddenly on February 19, 1995, at his home in Vancouver, British Columbia. He suffered a heart attack at the age of 35.
More about Nigel Findley...

Shadowrun (FASA Novel Series) (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Never Deal with a Dragon (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #1)
  • Choose Your Enemies Carefully (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #2)
  • Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #3)
  • Changeling
  • Never Trust an Elf (Shadowrun, #6)
  • Into the Shadows (Shadowrun, #7)
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Shadowplay (Shadowrun, #9)
  • Night's Pawn (Shadowrun, #10)
  • Striper Assassin (Shadowrun)