Start by marking “2XS (Shadowrun, #4)” as Want to Read:
2XS (Shadowrun, #4)

2XS (Shadowrun (FASA Novel Series))

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Dirk Montgomery glaubt, er kennt sich aus im Sprawl. Das sollte er auch - als Privatdetektiv des Jahres 2052. Doch dann wird ihm ein Mord in die Schuhe geschoben, kurz darauf ein Anschlag auf ihn verübt. Und da weiß er plötzlich nicht mehr, was gespielt wird.
Dirk taucht ein in die Schatten, wirft sein Netz aus nach Informationen und fängt sich dabei einen Chip ein – 2XS, d
Taschenbuch, 7. Auflage, 462 pages
Published 1997 by Heyne (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about 2XS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2XS

Nov 23, 2007 Monk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shadowrun Fans
Shelves: sci-fi
God rest Nigel Findley's soul. He was the best Shadowrun author of the lot.

The details of the book are hazy at this point (this is a popcorn read from early high school) but I remember that it dealt with the digital drug trade of the Shadowrun world. Most wireheads in Seattle are fine with an illegal kind of simstim chip called BTL: Better Than Life. With BTL chips, your brain can experience any of a vast array of sensory input. Depending on the recording, you can experience emotional highs from
Gottfried Neuner

It's not really that this is a bad book, but it is one of these franchised books that are entertaining but ultimately forgettable. In fact I had to look up the name of the main character for this review.

And so here we have a novel about one Dirk Montgomery, a private dick in Shadowrun's Seattle of the 2050s (meaning there is both cybertech and magic around) who is just good at what he does. A human norm without cybertech and magic, who generally survives on wits alone, despite being pretty
Phil M
I love the writing style of this book. In the past, I have not really been a fan of first-person storytelling. It works very well in this book, however. Maybe its the kind of noir-esque, hard-boiled detective story that it is that makes it work. I dunno. I enjoyed the main character - his sense of humor and style were engaging. RIP Nigel, you done good!
Micah Erskine
Apr 01, 2007 Micah Erskine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hard-boiled detective/action fans
I LOVE this book. More specifically, Derek "Dirk" Montgomery is one of my all time favourite characters. It's not great literature, but it's a good story that hits all the right (formulaic?) notes.

I pull it out every so often, once the details have gotten a little fuzzy, and enjoy it all over again.
Despite being a tie-in novel, 2XS is a well written and entertaining example of how Cyberpunk was able to capture the imaginations of a generation.

Any fan of cyberpunk, shadowrun or web urban fantasy ought to find something to like about it.
David Anderson
Best way I can describe it is to imagine a mix of a Raymond Chandler, William Gibson, and J.R.R Tolkien. Hard boiled detective, dystopian sci-fi, and elves and magic. Great stuff.
Shane C
The only Shadowrun novel that actually stuck with me.
J.D. Holman
This was a mostly enjoyable jaunt in the realm of 2050s Shadowrun, written back in the early 1990s before anyone gave wireless a thought. I love the jargon of these books and the role-playing game system. This drek is wiz! That said, I felt that all the plots and subplots of the book came together far too neatly. A conspiracy is one thing, but to actually connect about twenty different things almost randomly hampers my suspension of disbelief.

I don't like things hampering my suspension of disbel
David Sarkies
May 01, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shadowrun Fans
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: sci-fi
Drugs of the Cyberpunk World
(8 Feb 2012)

Finally, a change in direction for the Shadowrun novels. We are no longer dealing with Verner and his co-horts and are now back in the streets of Seattle following the detective Dick Montgomery. Well, I have now found a pre-cursor to the Harry Dresden novels, though Montgomery is a non-magical detective in a magical world. As with most Shadowrun novels, magic is involved, and that is probably because if there were no magic, then it would simply be a cybe
This is a Shadowrun book, so I felt it had to be judged against other books in the same series and other series like it.

Overall, the story is pretty good. It definitely flows the way that an actual game of Shadowrun would, including use of contacts, shadowruns-gone-bad, discussion of gear, etc.

The story begins and ends weakly - it takes a while to get into the story. However the author writes action sequences very well and once the pace picks up the story becomes compelling.

It's a fun read. Cert
Oh, help me
Tell me, tell me, 2 X S
I can't go on like this
2 X S
You're makin' me blow my mind
2 X S, n-no, nooo
2 X S
Let's call this 3.5. A solid intro to the Shadowrun universe, teaching important lessons like "Don't be a contact for a runner" and "No, really, don't be a contact for a runner!" This book takes the reader through all of 2052 Seattle's boroughs, with ample navigation tips should one wish to recreate Dirk's route through the sprawl. Also needed more Rosebud. She was adorable in a dwarfy way.
Reddit in late high school or early college. RIP Nigel Findley. I remember thinking of his work as standalone-quality cyberpunk for a gamer's market.
Jessica Macri
while written in the 80s, these books are timeless. really good. kept me guessing the whole time. the end was a real shocker!
Findley paints a lucid picture of the Shadowrun world, one that captures the shine of chrome and the flare of magic in the dark alleys of an awakened future. Along with the imagery is a clear depiction of military tactics, private investigation, and the seedier aspects of underworld dealings. The protagonist is well-rounded enough to fit the world view of most people, allowing an easy transition into their perspective. All around a good read, but mostly for fans of the role-playing game and its ...more
Michael Evans
Great story, really enjoyed it. A good mix of sci Fi and fantasy.
Greg Manuel
Shadowrun rules! I like Dirk Montgomery! Anyways, I've read this a couple of times and it really takes Shadowrun back to its roots in the streets of Seattle.
Donavan Dufault
An old cyberpunk classic. A great intro into the world of Shadowrun.
Greg added it
Nov 22, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
David Campbell
David Campbell marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
  • Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #3)
  • Shadowrun 15: Burning Bright
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Shadowrun 38: Ragnarock (Shadowrun)
  • Beyond the Pale (Dragon Heart Saga, #3)
  • Into the Shadows (Shadowrun, #7)
  • Shadowrun 32: Wolf and Raven
  • Shadowrun 16: Who Hunts the Hunter?
  • Run Hard, Die Fast (Shadowrun, #35)
  • Changeling
  • The Shadowrun 34: Terminus Experiment
  • Tails you Lose (Shadowrun, #39)
  • Shadowrun 18: Worlds without End
Nigel D Findley (July 22, 1959 – February 19, 1995[1]) was a game designer, editor, and an author of science fiction and fantasy novels and role-playing games (RPGs). Findley died suddenly on February 19, 1995, at his home in Vancouver, British Columbia. He suffered a heart attack at the age of 35.
More about Nigel Findley...

Shadowrun (FASA Novel Series) (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Never Deal with a Dragon (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #1)
  • Choose Your Enemies Carefully (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #2)
  • Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #3)
  • Changeling
  • Never Trust an Elf (Shadowrun, #6)
  • Into the Shadows (Shadowrun, #7)
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Shadowplay (Shadowrun, #9)
  • Night's Pawn (Shadowrun, #10)
  • Striper Assassin (Shadowrun)