Start by marking “Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)

Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  9,344 ratings  ·  105 reviews
In Rhapsody, a fellowship was forged-- three companions who, through great adversity, became a force to be reckoned with: Rhapsody the Singer; Achmed the assassin-king; and Grunthor, the giant Sergeant-Major. Prophecy continues their powerful epic. Driven by a prophetic vision, Rhapsody races to rescue a religious leader while Achmed and Grunthor seek the F'dor-- an ancien ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 717 pages
Published August 13th 2001 by Tor Fantasy (first published July 14th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophecy

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
333rd out of 1,548 books — 5,669 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
194th out of 900 books — 1,846 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
4.0 stars. Excellent sequel to the superb Rhapsody: Child of Blood. This is one of those "under the radar" fantasy series that really are worth-while reads. Good characters, strong world building and an interesting plot. Recommended!!
Maya
This will be shorter than my review of Rhapsody, really. REALLY.

The thing about this series is I love the plot. I love the world and the set-up and the mythos and I really, really love Achmed and his dry sense of humor and Grunthor and his violent nursery rhymes. But. But but but.

I HATE RHAPSODY'S HAIR.

NOW THAT WE'RE GETTING TO SEE ASHE WITHOUT HIS CAPE, I HATE HIS HAIR TOO.

MAY THEY HAVE BALD CHILDREN, OH GOD, PLEASE.

The sex is also... overwhelmingly unnecessary, just as I feared. And yet despit
Blergh. You guys, I can't read high fantasy anymore. I don't know whether I've grown as a reader or I've just read too much, but high fantasy just seems really tired to me. And this particular book was a total Mary Sue fest. I probably would have enjoyed it more if Achmed was the main character and Rhapsody had disappeared from the story completely, though then we wouldn't have had Ashe, who I really enjoy.

A big irritation for me was the way the author uses twenty-five dollar words. She misuses
Lynzie
Jenn Cotton
The heroine is frequently called intelligent, but never proves this. Despite her intelligence, she's completely unaware of the effect her utter physical perfection has on everyone that meets her. She is called fair and compassionate despite being haughty and judgmental.

However, the absolute worst of it is any interaction that involves Ashe. Aside from the fact that he comes off as a player character someone rolled up for a d&d campaign (see, I'm this half-dragon...), his presence turns any c
Zarinah
This is part 2 of Raspody the girl with sword of fire. So overall the book is great. The author is really invested in her characters and the fantasy of make of make believe. So some great things in this second book is maintaining the world and characters. I always enjoy the dialogs.
In this book the author does alot of repeating the first book scenes and facts and I just feel its a waste.
We still get to see Raspody use her sword and that's great! I also enjoyed her using her naming skills.
but
Flint
If you read the first book, "Rhapsody: Child of Blood," and felt it was a bit slow and uneventful, then you should stay clear of the sequel, because this one expands on all the things you didn't like about the first book. There is absolutely no action or suspense whatsoever, nor do you get any sense of urgency with the so called impending threat of the evil F'dor, who shows up at the end of the book. Haydon instead devotes her entire novel to writing as many crying scenes as she can for Rhapsody ...more
Gaijinmama
This book is the second of the Symphony of Ages series. The series is still in progress, but so far this is my favorite, for two main reasons. Firstly, not to mince words......our heroine Rhapsody finally Gets Some (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean ?). Like every other aspect of her writing, Haydon gives us....ahem.... Good Parts that are really really good. In fact, go ahead and dog-ear pages 478 and 506 right now! Rhapsody had her sweet, romantic teenage encounter in the first book, ...more
Danae Jacot
Age range: be advised, it contains some foul language and adult themes, including graphic violence and sexual scenes
Rhapsody and Prophecy, the first two books in the Rhapsody Trilogy are exceptionally well-written and extremely detailed with a complex and creative mythology. Haydon is a master of the long game. She expertly crafts deep characters with more than enough layers to keep the reader growing closer to the characters, protagonists and antagonists alike, through several books more than 6
Aelvana
Because Achmed has found a dragon-claw dagger in the depths of the castle, Rhapsody goes with Ashe to return it before the dragon decides to come back for it first. Achmed and Grunthor strongly disagree, but Rhapsody will have her own way in this. As she and Ashe travel, the mystery around him deepens. Who is he? Why does he always remain behind a mask? And what of the F'dor, the demon bent on consuming the world in the unholy fire of destruction?

Though clearly a sequel, in a nice touch the book
Férial
Gah. How to rate this book ?

3 stars like I did for the first one of this series ? Not fair. This one was better as :

#1 it had less crap (you know, the dazzlingly dazzling Rhapsody thing that was so annoying)
#2 it had very well written emotional moments (and no, I'm not talking about the sex scenes)
#3 it explained better the world our heroes live now in
#4 it had a lot of Grunthor and Achmed
#5 there were dragons (yup, I like dragons)
#6 the hiding of who the F'dor host is was really well done. Up t
Kelly
This book is well written, and the world building is fairly intricate. Unfortunately, the author is painfully in love with her characters. This book would be half its size if we eliminated all the tantalizing descriptions of how gorgeous and intoxicating the hero and heroine are. Her unhealthy admiration of her characters prevents her from taking risks that would further their development or create even create some sort of attachment for the reader. It's fun brain candy, though.
Monica
If you don't like romantic plot lines, then this is definitely not the series for you. The romance between Ash and Rhapsody is what really drives this story, but it is all the secondary characters that kept me coming back for more. The main character can be so perfect at some times that its a bit annoying, but I really love this book. I live the world, and it's very easy to become immersed in it.
Tiffany
I feel the same way about this book as I do about Rhapsody, the first in the series. There were times when for the most part I was frustrated due to characters just.. not using common sense! Acting how a typical person would. I realize it's fantasy and a person can react any which way, but you can typically predict how one person is going to react!
Rhapsody, the character, I found was still not connect-able, with her Mary-Sue qualities.
Elynoses (Might have spelled that wrong) was adorable!

The
Niki Hawkes
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

This is actually my second read-through of this novel. Why I chose to reread one of the most long-winded fantasies out there is beyond me, but at the time it perfectly suited my mood, so no regrets. You see, back in December (yes, it has taken me that long to get around to writing this review… embarrassing) I had signed up for so many NetGalley and Edelweiss ARCs that my life pretty much revolved around “obligation” reading. I finally got fed up
Kirsten Rodning
I think Elizabeth Haydon has created a wonderful world with mostly like-able characters (though at times Rhapsody herself leans into Mary Sue territory). The only real problem that I have with this series is that the books are too long. That's not to say that parts should be cut -- I just think that the series could have benefited by being divided into more volumes. Towards the end of the book I was trying to remember things that had happened at the beginning -- things that seemed like they happ ...more
Winnie
I found Prophecy much harder to get interested in than Rhapsody. It took over half the book for me to get hooked on the story. I loved the meeting between Elysynos the dragon and Rhapsody. The love affair between Ashe and Rhapsody is delightful, if a little cliche. Everyone knows they're going to get together, the only question is whether he is actually the Rakshas demon who will devour her soul and spirit. When we finally discover the Child of the Earth, (the Sleeping Child), events begin to ac ...more
Kit
Let's see. About this book. It gets two stars because...well, two stars mean "it was okay" and that's my reaction to it. I can't hate on it entirely because I loved it when I was sixteen. However now...ehh.

I ran Rhapsody against the Mary Sue Litmus Test. She scored an 82. 71 and above, according to said test, is a hopeless, irredeemable Sue. But I'm fairly certain everyone who read this book already knows this, right chaps?
So for those of you exposed in the first book, it only gets worse here. T
Manami
Joshua
Elizabeth Haydon LOVES the word bellwether. A lot of the things I wrote in my review for the first book come into play here as well, so I won't repeat myself.

Child of Earth is a great sequel to Child of Blood. Rhapsody goes on a fact-finding mission, and things begin to make sense.

Call me romantic, but I actually like Ashe. A bit of their stubbornness with each other goes a long way, however, and I found myself wanting to slap both of them. I did love being kept in suspense as to how the story
Jen
May 23, 2008 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like Mercedes Lackey
Recommended to Jen by: Greg
A continuation of Rhapsody. The pace of this book was far better than the first with lots of nice plot twists and turns. It digs further into the unique lore of the world and sheds some light on the layers of plot that were laid earlier.

*Spoiler*
The most notable change in this book is Rhapsody's romance with Ashe. I saw that other people commented on this negatively saying it was like a bad romance novel. Some of this speculation is warranted. Some of the dialogue is very cheesy, and the descrip
Hack
if i weren't so interested in Achmed, i would have stopped reading these books. as it is, i find Rhapsody's relationship with Ashe really obnoxious. i'm really happy for them that the people they fell in love with at FOURTEEN was the love of their lives. eww. aside from the romantic aspect of the book, i really enjoyed the finding of the sleeping child in the earth and i think that Grunthor is the perfect person to watch over her.

i'm getting really tired of Rhapsody, who wasted the only words th
Allyson Doutt
I really wanted to like this story and finish the series but I just can't! The last 7 or so chapters in this book have a sex scene just about every other paragraph. Hello! what happened to the story!? The scenes had nothing to do with the story itself and did nothing to enhance the characters in any way. I'm moving on to another series. ..a shame too I really wanted to like it since Achmed is so funny and it had dragons.
Lost_star
Very 'meh' about this book. It is overlong, and rhapsody is still irritating. Achmed and grunther are the main reasons for reading this now, though the world that's been established is also interesting.

Steer clear if you don't want to read a romance book as this is basically what this story is, albeit in a fantasy world. Hoping the third book might get a little more involved in the world over rhapsody's love life.
LINCCReviews
I felt that this book was a staging point between a two halves of a story. There was a lot of emphasis on the relationship between Ash and Rhapsody, which I wouldn't ordinarily mind, if there had been a heavy emphasis on the relationship from the beginning of the story.

Other than this I thought she did a good job at foreshadowing the closure of the series. (firedagger)
Heather
I picked this book up as a remainder at a used book sale. I hadn't read the first book in the series (Rhapsody) but Prophecy pulled me into it anyway. It has some great twists and turns and kept me on the edge of my seat as I was reading. The setting is an incredible fantasy world, with amazing descriptions that paint a clear picture in your mind. There are issues of past, present, and future. Horrific evil, the battle of good against it, loyalty, love and other themes are some of the dominant o ...more
Jazzmin Moore
I really enjoyed the beginning of the novel. However, Rhapsody and her over the top trust of everyone she meets, really wore on my nerves. And the numerous sex scenes was a little to much for my taste. But all in all it was a great second novel.
Joanne
I may have liked it more if it had been more of a fantasy story with a side of romance, but it was more of a romance with a side of fantasy. There were looong moments dedicated to love and souls and beautiful stuff like that, and then a chapter or two to remind the readers, oh shit! there's bad guys still around. It seemed as if the action was breezed through and not given enough content. Usually, I feel the reverse is true, so I guess there's just no good balance between love and life. :p
It doe
Ruth
"c2000. Protagonist is Rhapsody a singer of note and Achmed, an assasin - and Ashe - the love interest. ""Do you like copper, Pretty? It is really nothing more than the spent blood of dragons of my kind, just as the vein of gold that formed your locket once ran in the veins of a golden dragon. Emeralds, rubies, sapphires--nothing more than the clotted life's blood of ancient dragons of various sub-races, various colors. It is what we leave behind in the hope that Time will maintain our memory, b ...more
Wynne
In Rhapsody, a fellowship was forged - three companions who, through great adversity, became a force to be reckoned with: Rhapsody the Singer; Achmed the assassin-king; and Grunthor, the giant Sergeant-Major. Prophecy continues their powerful epic. Driven by a prophetic vision, Rhapsody races to rescue a religious leader while Achmed and Gruntor seek the F'Dor - an ancient and powerful demon. These companions may be destined to fulfill The Prophecy of the Three, but their time is running short. ...more
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
  • Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • The Ring (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #2)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,
More about Elizabeth Haydon...

Symphony of Ages (8 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen
Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1) Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3) Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4) Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5) The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)