Start by marking “The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2)

The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors #2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  380 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Gwendolyn MacSween pretends to be a witch in order to charm Highland warrior Alex MacDunn, the head of her family's rival clan, who expects her to heal his dying son, while a dangerous enemy waits to destroy them both.
Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published June 1998 by Bantam Books (first published May 1998)

Fires of Winter by Johanna LindseyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanThe Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. WoodiwissA Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. WoodiwissThe Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Historical Romances with Kidnapped/Sold/Captive Heroine
88th out of 114 books — 117 voters
The Other Side of Heaven by Morgan O'NeillRuby Red by Kerstin GierSpider-Gwen, Vol. 0 by Jason LatourSapphire Blue by Kerstin GierEmerald Green by Kerstin Gier
"Gwen"
50th out of 51 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in Karyn Monk's Warriors series. My first by this author. It won't be the last. There were times I thought the author dwelt on the secondary characters more than the relationship between the H/h but overall it was a satisfying read.
Lynn
I cannot tell you how much I truly loved this book... I mean honest to god I hated when it ended.
This was not a run of the mill story... there is elements of paranormal but nothing really in your face.. more like touches of magic. There is a abused and mistreated heroine who has never had a friend outside of her beloved father.... she was ostracized by her village for her mother being killed as a witch and every illness or bad luck that befalls the village is her ever doing.....

We begin the sto
Linda
THE WITCH AND THE WARRIOR is the second book in 'The Warrior' series but it is fine to read as a 'stand alone'. I did and I had no problem. Set in Scottish medieval times it is about a young woman falsely accused of being a witch. At the beginning of the story the heroine, Gwendolyn MacSween, has already been accused and is suppose to be burned.

'Mad Alex' MacDunn is watching all the activity from a distance. He had tried to purchase the witch but he did not succeed. His men are in place and when
Cruth
Oct 29, 2012 Cruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting main characters with depth and growth, surrounded by caricatures. They're fun and all, but light and shallow, keeping the story from developing real depth.

An interesting look at illness, healthcare, and beliefs in a time without scientific process. In fact, giving Gwendolyn Real Magic, and contrasting that with her Mother scientific thoughts and subsequent death, takes a light, easy story to an extra level. And gives us a light story with teeth. And results in a memorable book.

A soli
Daniela
Jun 14, 2013 Daniela rated it really liked it
This was my first erotica book I ever red; and I loved it, and I still love it. From time to time I re-read it and I always squeak like a teenage girl... I tottally recommended if you like Highlands scenary :)
Maya
Apr 30, 2009 Maya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: karyn-monk
If you like tales of witches, warriors and Scotsmen then you will LOVE this book. The hero and heroin are so fleshed out in the book you think you are watching them on TV.
Lara
Mar 08, 2014 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, 2014-to-read
This book was assigned as part of a challenge for this year, and I was uncertain about reading it as I'm not drawn to the Scottish Highland Laird romances. However, this book was quite interesting as it follows a young woman who has been an outcast in her own clan. She is used to being alone and shunned through no fault of her own. However, she was very loved by her father and is also quite intelligent. These are her saving graces. The internalization of the automatic dislike and distrust of oth ...more
Lisa Kay
One of the best Medieval romance books I have read. It made my cry and laugh. The main and secondary characters were wonderful and the action was steady. Great insight into the heroine's feelings of isolation. Wonderful love story.

Update: This one is on my ‘favorites’ list and now that I see Amazon has it available via Kindle I thought I would do a quick review here. I have recently re-read it and it still holds up. If you are looking for a book with a good medieval Scotland setting, this is a v
Patsyann
Jun 21, 2015 Patsyann rated it really liked it
Re-read this book and fell in love with the romance all over again. Loved the hero and heroine - I loved how the hero defended the heroine, even though he was unsure of whether she was really a witch. The hero and heroine changed each other and their love story transcended all!! The secondary characters were sometimes very annoying - and there was a lot of skimming - but when the romance was on the page - it was great. The hero is a leader , decisive, goal-oriented. And he is also a bit overbear ...more
Hildra
Dec 07, 2011 Hildra rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, specially suprised by (view spoiler)

Anyway I connected much more with Gwen than the hot laird and I think it was because the author had him burning with passion, acting non-challant, or acting like a madman. I couldn't figure out who exactly he was and I lost him a little bit. I also felt the romance/intimate moment came at awkward moments with them and I
Arthur
Jul 23, 2008 Arthur rated it it was amazing
The first night of Gwendolyn MacSween’s planned rescue nothing seemed to be going right. After all, Alex known as Mad MacDunn leads his men in and out of another Laird’s clan. He take’s with him Gweendolyn, his goal, but also captures Isabella to escape, another hostage.
Which lead’s the Laird wanting his daughter Isabella to be returned safe and unharmed. And this is where Gwendolyn learns of a life outside of the MacSween clan and lands. A place she had been persecuted as a witch most of her li
Renee
Mar 14, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-cheese
I was on a cruise and was too old to hang out at the teen center. Lame. So I checked out the onboard library. Sometimes it was a bit embarrassing to be seen reading it on deck because of the obnoxious cover art. Other than that, it was a fun intro to the female romance genre. It definitely saved me from boring days at sea.
Thea
Jan 14, 2013 Thea rated it it was amazing
One of my absolutely favorite historical romances ever read. This book had me cracking up in the middle of the bookstore, trying to muffle it and failing miserably. I must've looked crazy. That's when I knew -- this book was a keeper.
Erin
Sep 09, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book is the first romance novel I ever read. Monk is a gifted writer and she not only fills the pages with romance, but with humor. Her characters are strong and memorable. This is one you want to read more than once!!
JENNIFER
May 01, 2011 JENNIFER rated it it was amazing
The was my all time favorite book. I actually own this book and read it time and time again on occasions. It is a must read for all because the author actually takes you into the story and you feel as one of the characters.
Cheryl Tollestrup
Jul 18, 2012 Cheryl Tollestrup rated it really liked it
Interesting enough to hold my attention.
Karen Darling
Sep 03, 2015 Karen Darling rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Good story, really enyoyed it.
Paranormal Romance
The heroine is about to be burnt at the stake for witchcraft when she's saved by the hero and his men. Then hero has a very sick son and she is his last hope for a cure. But the heroine doesn't believe she's a witch and she's certainly no healer. Though she does have common sense and isn't ruled by the religion of her time. She at first wants nothing more than to escape her new prisoner to seek revenge for her murder father but it's very soon that she becomes attached to the boy and will do anyt ...more
LectoraEstherica
Nov 25, 2014 LectoraEstherica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad 3.5
Me lo leí porque es el libro favorito de mi madre y está bastante bien. Es romántico pero con trama y el protagonista masculino no tiene trastornos de personalidad ni nada por el estilo. Es bonito.
Taylor Crofutt
May 30, 2015 Taylor Crofutt rated it it was amazing
Great story and great characters. i've read this book more then i can count! The action was well written and the magic of it all was a great read!!!
Cassie
Feb 23, 2008 Cassie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance novel fans, people who won't admit they like romance novels but read them compulsively
Recommended to Cassie by: Thrift store bookshelf.
If there's a Scottish romance novel that will make you want to go out and buy a bolt of tartan flannel at Jo-Ann fabrics, this would probably be one of them. Every other scene has someone wrapped up in a plaid. I am a closet romance novel fan, and this one is one of my favorites. The characters are the usual romance novel fare: Tormented warrior and misunderstood tormented spunky heroine. But at the same time the romance is approached with a fun humor that made me smile all the way through it. W ...more
Diana
Jul 08, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es sencillamente espectacular! muy recomendado!!!
Mar 05, 2014 Sarah added it
Ria
Mar 10, 2013 Ria rated it it was ok
Meh. A familiar story, unremarkable in delivery with an okayish central romance and an underwhelming finale. I wish more had been done with Alex and his oddball warriors, there was more fun to be had there.

I don't think I'll remember much about this book beyond the overuse of the phrase 'lips crushing' and the hilariously Fabio-esque cover featuring an odd pose for the couple in which the hero appears to be trying to seductively bite the heroine's nose...
Sara
Feb 07, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok
I read this one during a withdrawal syndrome between Outlander books. It is hilariously bad and it was the first I ever heard of a whole subculture of erotica involving scots, which is even more hilarious.
Zenei
Jun 15, 2011 Zenei rated it liked it
Forgetable for the most part. Nothing really stood out for either the hero or the heroine. Three stars for average.
Aisha Oaktree
review pending 2014
Jolyn
Jan 26, 2012 Jolyn rated it liked it
Eh--- nothing special
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • The Bargain (The Bargain, #1)
  • The Last Highlander
  • The Marriage Test (Brides of Virtue, 3)
  • The Coming Home Place
  • Stealing Heaven (Medieval #3)
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • Unforgettable: Book Two (A Hollywood Love Story, #2)
  • The Truelove Bride
  • Maiden of Inverness (Border, #4)
  • Homeplace
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • Dark Warrior (Warrior, #2)
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • Wicked Dix (Hard Love Romance, #2)
  • The Maiden and Her Knight (Maiden and Her Knight, #1)
  • A Whisper of Desire (The Disgraced Lords, #4)
  • Riding Dirty (Dirty Eleven #1)

Warriors (3 books)
  • Once a Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • The Rose and the Warrior (Warriors #3)