Start by marking “Epic: Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks ” as Want to Read:
Epic: Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks
Preview

Epic: Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks (Adrenaline Series)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  596 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The climb that went wrong: fighting snowstorms and avalanches; running low on food and oxygen. Epic is a collection of the most memorable accounts of expeditions to the world's most famous peaks, often in the worst possible conditions.
Audio Cassette, 6 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Adrenaline Audiobooks (first published November 13th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Epic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epic

A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonThe Magic Mountain by Thomas MannSoul Mountain by Gao XingjianThe Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest HemingwayThe Climb by Anatoli Boukreev
Mountains
44th out of 138 books — 56 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHades' Disciples by Michael  WestA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonKilimanjaro and Beyond by Barry Finlay
Worshipping Mountains
74th out of 74 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Bartlett
Made me realize I do not want to climb a mountain.
Jan
A compilation of mountain-climbing "disaster" stories from some of the best-known mountaineers in the world.

Personally, I love to read stories about mountain climbing, although I myself have never climbed a mountain and have no intention of ever doing so. Willis managed to bring an interesting mix of stories together to highlight the wide variety of dangers that one might face while summiting the world's highest peaks - both the expected (freak storms, human error) and the unexpected (corrupt o
Ray Savarda
Very Good set of short stories (& excerpts) of mountaineering stores from the 80's back thru the 30's.
Remarkable what people have endured to get to the top of a mountain.
Very readable, and interesting.
John
Collection of climbing stories from the mountains all over the world.
Erneilson
Classic mountaineering stories - some of which I have read in the original text, but still some great reading.
Tina Birdsall
I liked this book a lot, not so much the writing style.
Tyler
An awesome collection of short stories assembled in great order.
Abram
This book has some of the most well know mountaineering stories combined into one exciting read. If you are interested in man versus mountain this will give you a good dose. Alas the book carries the name Krakauer and one must suspect foul play.
Tracy
Some of the stories got a bit samey after a while, and I preferred the stories of the more recent treks to the ones from the early 1900's, but overall a good book for anyone who enjoys true-life moutaineering peril stories.
Kelli
Feb 24, 2008 Kelli rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
This book was full of CRAZY stories of how people survived or others who did not survive climbs of various peaks around the world. It was intense. I had to put it down and remember to breathe!
Climberb
Fantastic collection that makes you want to read the full stories. An excellent book for those that love mountaineering books, however it is a teaser to the full stories.
Jolovessnow
Each chapter is an excerpt from a mountaineering book. Great collection. I found several that make me want to read the entire book. Armchair mountaineering - love it!
Mark
Loved the impossible tales of survival. Makes my lab life seem so ordinary and mundane. Makes me want to go climb something big. Something far away from Georgia.
Kris
A bunch of different stories that are all pretty dang good. He does a great job of telling more then just the adventure by going into a bit of history.
David
The best from some good mountaineering books. I stayed up reading 'til 1:30 am when I had to get up for work 4 hours later.
Nikki
for some reason i really like mountaineering/climbing/survival stories, and this is a cool anthology of a bunch of 'em.
George
A wonderful collection of climbing stories. These are bits of larger works and now I wish I could read all of them!
Abram
liked it again second time through. Its a good way to enter the realm of armchair mountaineering.

In need of a sense of adventure while stuck in an idle state - read this!
Bob
I have read this compilation previously. It is as powerful now as it a few years ago.
April Sanders
The best stories all together for you are a climber or a vicarious participant.
Andrew
Powerful stories of disasters and close calls while climbing mountains.
Matt
cool book filled with story after story of human spirit
Sarah Johnson
I love these stories of the crazy things people do...
Brenda
Combo of short stories. Some good, some okay.
Beth
I love good climging stories.
Hans
Be prepared for disaster.
Connie
Good Book. Technical
Mike Burmeister
Nov 20, 2007 Mike Burmeister marked it as to-read
i need this book
  • One Mountain Thousand Summits: The Untold Story Tragedy and True Heroism on K2
  • Above the Clouds: The Diaries of a High-Altitude Mountaineer
  • On the Ridge Between Life and Death: A Climbing Life Reexamined
  • Ghosts of Everest: The Search for Mallory & Irvine
  • Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy
  • Savage Summit: The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2, the World's Most Feared Mountain
  • High Adventure: The True Story of the First Ascent of Everest
  • The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt. Everest
  • K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • K2, The Savage Mountain: The Classic True Story of Disaster and Survival on the World's Second Highest Mountain
  • Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters
  • High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places
  • Annapurna: A Woman's Place
  • The Crystal Horizon: Everest-The First Solo Ascent
  • High Crimes: the Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed
  • Touching My Father's Soul: A Sherpa's Journey to the Top of Everest
  • The Mountains of My Life (Modern Library Exploration)
The Boys of Everest: Chris Bonington and the Tragedy of Climbing's Greatest Generation High: Stories of Survival from Everest and K2 Climb: Stories of Survival from Rock, Snow, and Ice Jesus Is Not a Republican: The Religious Right's War on America Rough Water: Stories of Survival from the Sea