Start by marking “The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition” as Want to Read:
The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition

The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition

4.69 of 5 stars 4.69  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Regarded as sacred scripture by millions, 'The Book of Mormon' - first published in 1830 - is one of the most significant documents in American religious history. This new reader-friendly version reformats the complete, unchanged 1920 text in the manner of modern translations of the Bible.
Published August 10th 2005 by University of Illinois Press (first published June 11th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Mormon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Mormon

Jon
May 10, 2008 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mormons, Anti-Mormons, Mayans, everyone who wouldn't accept one on my mission.
Recommended to Jon by: my mom and dad originally, followed by countless others
If you think it's odd that I spent $30 on a copy of the Book of Mormon after spending 2 years of my life begging people to take a free copy, you might be right.

If you think it's odd that I spent $30 on a book for which I have no fewer than 8 copies sitting around the house, and which is freely available on innumerable websites, you may be right.

But if you want to read the Book of Mormon, not so much study and cross reference and mark it, this is the one to get. Grant Hardy has formatted the Boo...more
Bridget
I loved this Reader's Edition. A much richer reading experience!

Russ
This reader's edition help make what Mark Twain called "chloroform in print" slightly more bearable. But not much.

As a work of literature, the Book of Mormon is a middling attempt by a talented young man inspired by the religious milieu of his time. Perhaps if he had not needed to keep up the charade of translation by peering into a hat, and had the time to revise his work (not to mention the help of an editor) it would be a more interesting piece of work. As it is, its main literary device "and...more
Joanna
A review of the actual scriptural text would be an ambitious project that far exceeds my talent, so I'll just comment on what is different about this edition. My favorite thing Hardy does is organize the verse into poetic stanzas, which I absolutely love. An appendix--Appendix 5 Book of Mormon Poetry (pp. 658-664)--discusses various poetic forms of Hebrew poetry (poetic parallelism in its synonymous, antithetic, synthetic [including chiasmus], and climactic forms). He also arranges text into rea...more
Christian Hurst
this is the first edition of the book of mormon that actually makes it approachable for the mormon and non-mormon alike. anyone with mormon ties (family, friends) or is themselves a member of the mormon community in some way should read this edition of the book before they pretend they know what they are talking about. this is also a great edition for those who are critics of the book or the mormon lifestyle. it lays everything out in an intuitive and completely approachable format that is not o...more
Ryan
I doubt I will ever read the Book of Mormon from the LDS publication again. To be sure, I will study from that version, but when I want to read the book, I'll pick up this reader's edition.

I was surprised how much the footnotes, which only deal with the narrative, helped me. I took for granted each time a BoM author prefaced a commandment with "as the Lord has said", and yet most of the time there is an earlier reference.

The poetry formatting was also helpful for finding the main ideas in some...more
Charisse VanDerwerken
I loved reading the Book of Mormon this way. I finished it in two weeks and that was only possible because of the ease in reading it in this format. The reparagraphing, quotations, stanzas, and parentheses really improved the flow. I actually got caught up in the story sometimes (gasp!). If you want to read the Book of Mormon quickly, or treat it like a novel, try it this way.
Gabriel Oak
I think Hardy has done readers a great service in organizing this edition of the Book of Mormon. I might quibble with some of his choices (some passages rendered as poetry that I think don't quite sustain it), but the clarity of this format is an overwhelming plus. It's wonderful to be estranged to texts you know really well, to approach them with new eyes. This edition facilitates that process.
Ben Galbraith
I'm a big fan of the Book of Mormon. This "Reader's Edition" changes the layout of the text from the classic verse format to a paragraph format, and modernizes the punctuation at the same time. These seemingly small details make a big difference. Not as dramatic as when we first learned to separate words with white space, but certainly in the same vein of readability improvement.

As to the content of the book itself, I'm a little late to the game to write a review that adds anything new, but I fi...more
Vickie
This was a great way to read The Book of Mormon.
Steve
This is fantastic! I had been looking for a version like this forever. Something easy to read with verses and chapters that stay out of your way. The LDS edition is great for study, this edition is great for READING! The introduction by the editor is wonderful, the poetic stanzas make the Isaiah chapters really come to life. The additional info at the end of the book was a very pleasant suprise. Great for those who have read it 100 times, even better for those who have never read it before.
Teri Anderson
Wow, this is so much easier to read! I never realized how much verse numbers slow you down. This really flows well. This is the same Book of Mormon LDS members know and love, but it's just been reformatted into paragraphs for easier reading. The poetry and chiasmus are arranged as lines of poetry, and that, too, is infinitely easier to read. I'm definitely glad I got this. Now I'm on the hunt for a Bible with this same kind of format.
Cindy
I haven't read all the way through this edition (though I've read 90% of it), but I'm obviously already very familiar with the text of the Book of Mormon. I LOVE this edition - the format is wonderful (I especially love the poetry) and easy to read, and the indexes and footnotes are very enlightening. I will definitely be doing most of my reading from this edition from now on.
Jon
Definitely my preferred version to read through now. It makes reading the BoM a joy. I like the way he did the headers (the style was based off of one of the translations of the bible) and paragraphs. I wish he would have done his own chapters too since the current chapter separations don't make since. One could read through the LDS version and never realize it.
Kirsten Steiger
The most accessible version of the Book of Mormon. With the useful study tools in the back, the enlivening formatting and footnotes, the accessible punctuation, I'm getting more out of my study of the Book of Mormon than in all the twenty plus years I've studied it combined. I highly recommend this version in conjunction with Hardy's Understanding the Book of Mormon.
Sherwood Smith
This edition of the Book of Mormon was recommended to me by a member of my extended, complicated family. Since these particular folks are LDS, and they've hitherto recommended the works of Hugh Nibley and Richard Lyman Bushman, I was intrigued.

Haven't made it far yet, but I'm impressed with the scholarly notations.
Sue Measom
Grant Hardy has done a beautiful job, editing this book into chapter form, particularly for the the non-mormon. He does a beautiful job with the forward, giving a background into what will be read, and answers many questions that may arise. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in religion.
Sharman Wilson
Brent and I are reading this together every night. The formatting makes it easier to follow the story and remind you of the different narrative voices. Having recently read Hardy's "Understanding the Book of Mormon" gives a whole new perspective to our reading.
Jenn Kunz
So much easier and more pleasant to read! The words are not changed, but the punctuation and paragraph breaks (which in the standard edition are straight from the non-lds original publisher) and arranged in a much less jarring way.
Heather
Apr 14, 2011 Heather marked it as to-read
hoping to like this better than the blue book. I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good format for a child's first BoM. Well, for a child who likes to read like I did when I was 8/9/10.
Nate
Very helpful to read the Book of Mormon formatted as a book. Hardy does an excellent job with layout and subheads. Indispensable appendixes too.
Carson
Jan 04, 2012 Carson is currently reading it
I've just started it, but so far I really like the format as well as Hardy's comments/footnotes/appendices
Mike

This is basically the Book of Mormon in a much easier to read format. I really like it.
Brian
This book has really helped me enjoy reading the Book of Mormon again.
Shar
This was an interesting way to read the Book of Mormon.
MaKayle
Fun way to read the Book of Mormon
Kerry
Jan 07, 2011 Kerry is currently reading it
Formatted without chapter headings or verses, so reads like a regular book. Actually improves the flow of the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dr. Grant Hardy received a Ph.D. from Yale University in Chinese Language and Literature and a B.A. from Brigham Young University where he studied Ancient Greek.

He is Professor of History and Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Ashville. Below is a quote by Dr. Hardy taken from the "Faces of UNC" web page:

“I am interested in how people use literature to make sense of their ex...more
More about Grant Hardy...
Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition: Lectures 1-18 (Transcript Book) Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition: Lectures 19-36 (Transcript Book) Sacred Texts of the World