Start by marking “The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition” as Want to Read:
The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition

The Book of Mormon: A Reader's Edition

Regarded as sacred scripture by millions, 'The Book of Mormon' - first published in 1830 - is one of the most significant documents in American religious history. This new reader-friendly version reformats the complete, unchanged 1920 text in the manner of modern translations of the Bible.
Published August 10th 2005 by University of Illinois Press (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Mormon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Mormon

May 10, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mormons, Anti-Mormons, Mayans, everyone who wouldn't accept one on my mission.
Recommended to Jon by: my mom and dad originally, followed by countless others
If you think it's odd that I spent $30 on a copy of the Book of Mormon after spending 2 years of my life begging people to take a free copy, you might be right.

If you think it's odd that I spent $30 on a book for which I have no fewer than 8 copies sitting around the house, and which is freely available on innumerable websites, you may be right.

But if you want to read the Book of Mormon, not so much study and cross reference and mark it, this is the one to get. Grant Hardy has formatted the Boo
Joshua Sears
Jul 31, 2016 Joshua Sears rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-of-mormon
This is my all-around favorite edition of the Book of Mormon and the one that spoiled the standard Church edition for me. Hardy's edition is designed to be reader-friendly and help the underlying logic of the text come out through the formatting. Without changing any words, he modernized the punctuation (adding quotation marks, parenthesis, etc.), organized the sentences into paragraphs, inserted descriptive titles above sub-sections, and arranged poetry into poetic stanzas. Useful footnotes not ...more
Nov 29, 2015 Cami rated it it was amazing
I've read The Book of Mormon many times, but never in this format. It was so easy to read! I was able to really focus on the message without being bogged down by all the chapter headings, footnotes, numbers, and columns. Though that type of formatting and information has its place, it really was enjoyable reading it this way for a change! The only thing I didn't like was how thick & heavy it was- it made it difficult to sit and read it for long periods of time- perhaps it would have been bet ...more
Jul 01, 2014 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I loved this Reader's Edition. A much richer reading experience!

Trevor Price
Dec 12, 2015 Trevor Price rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
After profitably using this version for reference/study purposes for a few years now, I decided to actually read straight through it, as was one of the primary purposes for this edition. (It turns out that the habit of "studying" and topically analyzing the Book of Mormon as opposed to simply reading it is deeply ingrained in me. I literally sought to read straight through this edition without taking detours, yet, by the time I was concluding First Nephi, the first book, my Kindle informed me I' ...more
Apr 03, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing
A review of the actual scriptural text would be an ambitious project that far exceeds my talent, so I'll just comment on what is different about this edition. My favorite thing Hardy does is organize the verse into poetic stanzas, which I absolutely love. An appendix--Appendix 5 Book of Mormon Poetry (pp. 658-664)--discusses various poetic forms of Hebrew poetry (poetic parallelism in its synonymous, antithetic, synthetic [including chiasmus], and climactic forms). He also arranges text into rea ...more
Jul 31, 2014 Russ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, mormonism
This reader's edition help make what Mark Twain called "chloroform in print" slightly more bearable. But not much.

As a work of literature, the Book of Mormon is a middling attempt by a talented young man inspired by the religious milieu of his time. Perhaps if he had not needed to keep up the charade of translation by peering into a hat, and had the time to revise his work (not to mention the help of an editor) it would be a more interesting piece of work. As it is, its main literary device "and
Sep 06, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing
I love the formatting of this edition of the Book of Mormon. It makes the text feel more contemporary and makes reading it more enjoyable. When I'm preparing my Sunday school lesson I read this edition first to get a good overview of the events, then go back and look at the footnotes in the standard edition. Another nice thing about this edition is the font size and opacity of the paper. The bleed through of the standard editions is starting to drive me nuts.
Sep 18, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I doubt I will ever read the Book of Mormon from the LDS publication again. To be sure, I will study from that version, but when I want to read the book, I'll pick up this reader's edition.

I was surprised how much the footnotes, which only deal with the narrative, helped me. I took for granted each time a BoM author prefaced a commandment with "as the Lord has said", and yet most of the time there is an earlier reference.

The poetry formatting was also helpful for finding the main ideas in some
Christian Hurst
Jul 27, 2007 Christian Hurst rated it it was amazing
this is the first edition of the book of mormon that actually makes it approachable for the mormon and non-mormon alike. anyone with mormon ties (family, friends) or is themselves a member of the mormon community in some way should read this edition of the book before they pretend they know what they are talking about. this is also a great edition for those who are critics of the book or the mormon lifestyle. it lays everything out in an intuitive and completely approachable format that is not o ...more
May 11, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
The words in this Book of Mormon are the exact same as the text in the navy blue scriptural version published by the LDS Church, except for the italicized chapter summaries. Those weren't a part of the original manuscript and they aren't included in this edition.

What Hardy did with this edition was to change the punctuation and paragraph breaks.

Those sound like relatively minor changes, but it makes an incredible difference. Punctuation matters! The other formatting changes, such as putting poet
Dec 18, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion

I am always looking for new ways to study The Book of Mormon, and Grant Hardy's Reader's Edition sounded interesting. He puts the text back into paragraph form, breaking things according to literary convention, and adds quotation marks when appropriate. When the writing lends itself to poetical form, he puts it into stanzas. There are some helpful footnotes, and an excellent series of appendixes
Ben Galbraith
Nov 17, 2011 Ben Galbraith rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of the Book of Mormon. This "Reader's Edition" changes the layout of the text from the classic verse format to a paragraph format, and modernizes the punctuation at the same time. These seemingly small details make a big difference. Not as dramatic as when we first learned to separate words with white space, but certainly in the same vein of readability improvement.

As to the content of the book itself, I'm a little late to the game to write a review that adds anything new, but I fi
Teri Anderson
Jun 23, 2011 Teri Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
Wow, this is so much easier to read! I never realized how much verse numbers slow you down. This really flows well. This is the same Book of Mormon LDS members know and love, but it's just been reformatted into paragraphs for easier reading. The poetry and chiasmus are arranged as lines of poetry, and that, too, is infinitely easier to read. I'm definitely glad I got this. Now I'm on the hunt for a Bible with this same kind of format.
Feb 20, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is fantastic! I had been looking for a version like this forever. Something easy to read with verses and chapters that stay out of your way. The LDS edition is great for study, this edition is great for READING! The introduction by the editor is wonderful, the poetic stanzas make the Isaiah chapters really come to life. The additional info at the end of the book was a very pleasant suprise. Great for those who have read it 100 times, even better for those who have never read it before.
Sue Measom
Jul 12, 2010 Sue Measom rated it it was amazing
Grant Hardy has done a beautiful job, editing this book into chapter form, particularly for the the non-mormon. He does a beautiful job with the forward, giving a background into what will be read, and answers many questions that may arise. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in religion.
Sherwood Smith
This edition of the Book of Mormon was recommended to me by a member of my extended, complicated family. Since these particular folks are LDS, and they've hitherto recommended the works of Hugh Nibley and Richard Lyman Bushman, I was intrigued.

Haven't made it far yet, but I'm impressed with the scholarly notations.
Kirsten Steiger
Nov 06, 2012 Kirsten Steiger rated it it was amazing
The most accessible version of the Book of Mormon. With the useful study tools in the back, the enlivening formatting and footnotes, the accessible punctuation, I'm getting more out of my study of the Book of Mormon than in all the twenty plus years I've studied it combined. I highly recommend this version in conjunction with Hardy's Understanding the Book of Mormon.
Charisse VanDerwerken
Apr 28, 2014 Charisse VanDerwerken rated it it was amazing
I loved reading the Book of Mormon this way. I finished it in two weeks and that was only possible because of the ease in reading it in this format. The reparagraphing, quotations, stanzas, and parentheses really improved the flow. I actually got caught up in the story sometimes (gasp!). If you want to read the Book of Mormon quickly, or treat it like a novel, try it this way.
Jan 01, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Definitely my preferred version to read through now. It makes reading the BoM a joy. I like the way he did the headers (the style was based off of one of the translations of the bible) and paragraphs. I wish he would have done his own chapters too since the current chapter separations don't make since. One could read through the LDS version and never realize it.
Sharman Wilson
Brent and I are reading this together every night. The formatting makes it easier to follow the story and remind you of the different narrative voices. Having recently read Hardy's "Understanding the Book of Mormon" gives a whole new perspective to our reading.
Feb 20, 2016 Oliver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-musts
Excellent. I looked forward to reading it for daily inspiration. Nice that the narrative flowed, almost like reading a great biography. Supplemental information also included in depth, but didn't bog down the reading experience because included at end of chapter or in appendix.
Jenn Kunz
Mar 20, 2012 Jenn Kunz rated it it was amazing
So much easier and more pleasant to read! The words are not changed, but the punctuation and paragraph breaks (which in the standard edition are straight from the non-lds original publisher) and arranged in a much less jarring way.
Apr 14, 2011 Heather marked it as to-read
hoping to like this better than the blue book. I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good format for a child's first BoM. Well, for a child who likes to read like I did when I was 8/9/10.
Jan 04, 2012 Carson is currently reading it
I've just started it, but so far I really like the format as well as Hardy's comments/footnotes/appendices
Feb 08, 2016 Anna added it
If you're going to read The Book of Mormon , this is absolutely the way to do it. Hardy makes it infinitely more readable.
Jan 07, 2011 Kerry is currently reading it
Formatted without chapter headings or verses, so reads like a regular book. Actually improves the flow of the story.
Jan 26, 2011 Nate rated it it was amazing
Very helpful to read the Book of Mormon formatted as a book. Hardy does an excellent job with layout and subheads. Indispensable appendixes too.
Jason Comely
Oct 02, 2016 Jason Comely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my fourth reading of the Book of Mormon, from front to back, and I gained new insights from this handy edition.
Zachary Cochran
Zachary Cochran rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • By the Hand of Mormon: The American Scripture That Launched a New World Religion
  • “This Is My Doctrine”:  The Development of Mormon Theology
  • David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism
  • Letters to a Young Mormon
  • Adventures of a Church Historian
  • Planted: Belief and Belonging in an Age of Doubt
  • The Mormon Hierarchy: Origins of Power
  • Politics of American Religious Identity: The Seating of Senator Reed Smoot, Mormon Apostle
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
  • The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith
  • Mormonism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Way Below the Angels: The Pretty Clearly Troubled But Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of a Real Live Mormon Missionary
  • The Second Comforter: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil
  • Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet
  • The Mysteries of Godliness: A History of Mormon Temple Worship
  • In Heaven as It Is on Earth: Joseph Smith and the Early Mormon Conquest of Death
  • Manuscript Revelations Books (The Joseph Smith Papers: Revelations and Translations, vol. 1)
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
Dr. Grant Hardy received a Ph.D. from Yale University in Chinese Language and Literature and a B.A. from Brigham Young University where he studied Ancient Greek.

He is Professor of History and Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Ashville. Below is a quote by Dr. Hardy taken from the "Faces of UNC" web page:

“I am interested in how people use literature to make sense of their ex
More about Grant Hardy...