Start by marking “Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  20 reviews
First published in 1977, this book—from one of America’s most famous and prolific agricultural writers—became an almost instant classic among homestead gardeners and small farmers. Now fully updated and available once more, Small-Scale Grain Raising offers an entirely new generation of readers the best introduction to a wide range of both common and lesser-known specialty ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Chelsea Green Publishing Co (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Small Scale Grain Raising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Scale Grain Raising

Emma Cooper
Vegetables, fruits and herbs are all common in kitchen gardens, but very few gardeners ever consider growing their own grains. The common perception is that you need a lot of space to make it worthwhile, and that processing grains is something that is difficult and time-consuming to do on a smaller scale.

‘Small-Scale Grain Raising’ aims to set the record straight, by laying out exactly how much land you need to raise a reasonable quantity of various grains, and the benefits of doing so. If you h
John
Oct 26, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: prospective homesteaders
It's another Gene Logsdon farming book, and it's very good, though I can't quite recommend this one as heartily as All Flesh is Grass.

Logsdon does a good job taking us through the various grains, discussing everything one would need to know. We get information about planting, cultivation, harvesting, and storing, weeds to worry about, pests to worry about, and both modern and old-time methods for these grains. His slant tends to favor the small homesteader (hence the name) or even gardener: he d
Sutherland
There was some really great info in here for small and medium scale small-grain and bean growing. It also has a great layout that makes it useful as a reference book. I didn't always agree with the flavor text but it made the book entertaining enough to read cover to cover. I'm going to try some rye this year.
Darcy
Fabulous entertainment, I felt wonderfully validated for many of the practices I pursue, I was inspired to try some new crops, and I love how he calls us gardening farmers rather than hobbyists. After all, I am certainly not a commercial farmer, but I want to supplement my own and my animals' diet with homegrown goodness, and I wish I could turn even the tiniest bit of a profit with my all of the hard work I put into my gardens and goat herd.
Anna
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, although (as usual) I felt it glossed over some very important aspects of bringing grain growing to the backyard. Still, the book made me feel that growing grain was within my reach.

Check out the gems of information about growing grains as a backyard endeavor on my blog.
Bre
I save five-star reviews for life changing books. This book has changed my life. I feel like I am now armed with information that makes possible a new facet in farming and homesteading that I had not seriously considered before. Small scale grains? Homemade bread just became even more exciting than it had been previously!
Mo Tipton
I wasn't able to finish this one before it was due back at the library, but what I did read was fantastic. Logsdon makes a potentially dry topic interesting and easy to understand, and he's completely banished any misconceptions I held about grain raising being too complicated for the home gardener. I can't wait to read more.
Alex
Some parts are not based on the author's experience; other parts are mostly based on his farming in northern Ohio. Nevertheless he gives very clear and detailed information on what he knows, which is quite broad in scope. And he is very outspoken against some concepts and practices based on "group thinking".
Michael
Lot of information but definitely not for the "I'm just curious" reader (which is myself. This would be a good book for somebody who was about to start growing their own grains and needed all of the nitty gritty details. Because of that difference, I'm holding off on rating this book at all.
Small scale, of course, means only a few acres in Logsdon's world, and the tools and techniques are aimed at small farmers rather than gardeners. But for the most part he includes planting/ harvesting options that are possible even if we just decide to try planting a single row.
Matthew
I found this a great resource for someone wanting to raise grain on a small scale. I picked up this book for that very purpose. It covers many different grains from corn to rice and even some older grains that are not used much on large grain farms.
Justin
Good book! I'm growing my first wheat crop this year. So far, so good, thanks to this book. For more detailed info, see your county extension website.
Michael De Paola
Looks like a 45' x 45' square can grow all the grain we need. This book was fantastic! I'm thrilled to have gotten a copy for Christmas!
Matt
Love it! So helpful to the beginning grain farmer. I'd love to hear more about crop rotations, however.
Michelle
Jun 14, 2011 Michelle is currently reading it
Excellent information on how to raise grain in a small area and harvest without machinery.
Thejerseyhomesteader
I am finding this to be a great resource for my interest in having a small farm.
Megan
Very practical but also good for general info on good organic grain production
Josie
Useful information for...someday.
Christopher
Great advice and insights.
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 01, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Jena Buckwell
Jena Buckwell marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Courtney Lake
Courtney Lake marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
New Adam Earth
New Adam Earth marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sutterfield
Sutterfield marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Josiah Miller
Josiah Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Pastured Poultry Profit$
  • Five Acres and Independence
  • The New Seed-Starter's Handbook
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Introduction to Permaculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
The Contrary Farmer (Real Goods Independent Living Book) Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind All Flesh Is Grass: Pleasures & Promises Of Pasture Farming Living at Nature's Pace: Farming and the American Dream The Contrary Farmer's Invitation to Gardening