Start by marking “Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Fashion in Detail” as Want to Read:
Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Fashion in Detail

Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Fashion in Detail

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  422 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Now available from Abrams, this popular book offers a rare, close-up look at the exquisite, labor-intensive details seen in fine historical clothing. Perfect decorative seams, minute stitching, knife-sharp pleats, and voluptuous drapery-all are here, alongside more unusual techniques such as stamping, pinking, and slashing. Most of these effects cannot be replicated by mac ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by V & A Publishing (first published October 15th 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Fashion in Detail

Mariℓina
Jul 17, 2013 Mariℓina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book!
One of the best in it's field, a must read for everyone who loves fashion or wants to be a photographer!
All the photographs carried every tiny detail of the textures and the colors..

Truly mesmerising.. I felt that i could really touch the textiles of the dresses! And the details about every little thing or the ways they used to make clothes were just perfect..

I also enjoyed very much the part about shoes and gloves.
It was informative but in a good way.. I felt the knowlegde
Terri
Sep 22, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it
Exquisite. The detailed work shown in this wonderful book published by the Victoria and Albert Museum is truly exquisite. So much so, that every page took my breath away and I was constantly shaking my head in amazement. How was it possible that in an age without the mod cons of the coming Industrial era, detail like this was possible in someone's lifetime? That dresses and gowns, cloaks and gloves, jackets and men's doublets etc, were all being created to this level of intricacy and with relati ...more
Andrea Zuvich
Exquisite photos and information, however, there is more about 18th century fashion than the 17th - so be aware of this! (Well worth buying anyway).
Margie
Mar 03, 2008 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: costume
Beautiful, but a bit frustrating. This book *only* shows details, and only one area of detail per outfit. So one might look at a gown and want to see detail of the pleating, but the detailed photo available is of the bows on the bustle. Although it wouldn't be out of place in the costumer's bookshelf, it's somewhat more of an art book than a costuming book. The detail is exquisite and helpful to the costumer, but the overall usefulness of the book is limited.
Raisa
Apr 07, 2012 Raisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fashion people, researchers, historians
The pictures are so splendid. This book is a piece of masterpiece for anyone who is doing research or just wants to learn about the fashion of the seventeenth and eighteenth century. I love the beautiful pictures and even more the explanations Hart and North provided about each piece.
Maer
May 31, 2012 Maer rated it it was amazing
I read through this book about 3 times in the first hours of owning it. Love it! My only complaint is that you do not get photographs of the entire garments, but the close ups with the side diagrams are very helpful!
Simone Vd stadt beaney
Aug 21, 2013 Simone Vd stadt beaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kostuums
I love these books as they are so detailed. Beautiful pictures and detailed close-ups. And a wealth of information on the clothing as well.
Pancha
Oct 07, 2009 Pancha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
These clothes are absolutely beautiful. The detail is amazing, although I do wish the photos included full images of the garments.

Dilly Dalley
I love this book and I have kept it in a highly accessible place so that I open it often and look at the photographs of the garments. It seems like a brilliant concept to me. Only fragments of the garment are displayed but the way that they are presented draws your attention directly to the amazing skill and beauty of the workmanship in the garment. There are pages of pleats, of cuffs, of buttons, of collars. And every piece comes with a line drawing of the garment so that you can imagine it in ...more
CJ
Jul 19, 2009 CJ rated it really liked it
The detail is fasinating. Everything was done by hand. Includes the waistcoats that Beatrice Potter painted for the Taylor of Glouster story. Unfortunately, the entire garment is not shown except as a line drawing. Several of the articles are also described by Janet Arnold. Between the two books, a good idea of the garment is obtained. All the pictures in the V&A book are in color. All of Arnold's are in b&w.
Raven
Aug 18, 2014 Raven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book details extant garments in the Victoria and Albert Museum from the 17th and 18th centuries. Each object has a close-up shot with a useful description. Many pieces also have complete line drawing. Students of historic embroidery will appreciate the detail in the clothing. This book should be read while browsing the V&A collections website as there are very few overall photos of the garments.
April
Mar 09, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion
Absolutely beautiful photographs. The detail is amazing. The clothing is amazing, especially when you consider that it was done completely by hand. The stitching is so perfect and even. The embroidery is stunning. It makes me wish that I could live long ago for a few days and experience wearing clothing like that. We have nothing even close to that in beauty and detail in current times.
Dawn
Sep 29, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
What a spectacular book.

The photographs perfectly show the details. There are small sketches to show the garment and small descriptions to explain the detail being shown in the photo. The entire garment is not shown and while it would have been nice to see, the book is really about the smaller aspects of the clothing construction and I didn't find it an issue.
Maren
Mar 26, 2008 Maren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any reenactor women who wants to see details!
I bought this book at the Victoria & Albert Museum to read on the plane when we were immigrating to the US from England. The photographs are gorgeous. My only reservation is the same as many other readers have - I would like to see some of the outfits in full view as well as bits of them
Muffy Kroha
Jun 15, 2010 Muffy Kroha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Sirens and Renaissance Festival Refugees
Just got this in the mail- Shows photos of the stuff and diagrams of how it was constructed- Will definitely come in handy!!!!
Katharine
Mar 22, 2010 Katharine rated it it was amazing
A feast for the eyes, I had to upgrade to the hardback so I will always have it on my bookshelf
Jessica Jewett
Sep 24, 2014 Jessica Jewett rated it really liked it
Amazing photography. Gorgeous clothes.
Zsofi
Jan 17, 2012 Zsofi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: costumers
Beautiful as all the books of this series!
Slee
Aug 07, 2012 Slee rated it it was amazing
Such details make me want to swoon.
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Carmen Hansen
Carmen Hansen marked it as to-read
Cristina Tomescu
Cristina Tomescu marked it as to-read
Kc
Kc marked it as to-read
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Julie Vandercruyssen
Julie Vandercruyssen marked it as to-read
Olga Semchenko
Olga Semchenko rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Alessio Maccarone
Alessio Maccarone rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Lori Whitley
Lori Whitley marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Patterns of Fashion 3: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women, C.1560-1620
  • Underwear: Fashion in Detail