Start by marking “Withhold Not Correction” as Want to Read:
Withhold Not Correction

Withhold Not Correction

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Direction for parents who struggle with doubt or indecision in their roles as God-ordained disciplinarians.
Published July 1st 1989 by P & R Publishing (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Withhold Not Correction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Withhold Not Correction

Melissa
Disclaimer- this book is for Christians families and relies on the Biblical mode of discipline and correction.

I don't think I would recommend this book to parents without the huge caveat to take everything the authors writes with a grain of salt. While Ray does provide some valuable insight into godly forms of discipline he does, in my opinion, fall short of the rational mark. Ray also tends to be excessively wordy and redundant in his mandate that parents need to be saved before attempting to
Jerry
Lots of clear, straight-forward Bible teaching on spanking out of Proverbs and elsewhere. I'd like to recommend this book more, but a few flies in the ointment prevent it, like when Ray recommends teaching your kids to respond to the snap of your fingers. No doubt this could be done graciously, but he comes across as tone deaf which makes me wonder how it went for him and his kids. Discipline should be tender, and tenderness should disciplined. Still, for those stuck in the sentimental and lamel ...more
Gary
I didn't actually find this very useful. Far too much of it merely repeated the previous thought without any additional insight or in any significantly different way. It was also bloated with the standard evangelical jargon that so many modern authors feel the need to include (I simply don't want a book on discipline that has a whole third of it telling me basic Christian truths in a bland way).

The sections advocating the evangelising of our children are more than unhelpful and show just how low
Jeff McCormack
Back around the time I was starting to have children, I was given this book to read. It became a foundational work on the area of discipline with my children. I still hold this book in high esteem, and recommend it often. Upon this firm foundation, the building blocks were further laid with such excellent books as "Shepherding a Child's Heart" (Tripp) and "Standing on the Promises" (Wilson), all of which I suggest to people even today. Great book!!
Sam
While dated (published in '78), the author seeks to winsomely and biblically work out the foundation of discipline in the Christian home. The best place for this book is in a complementary position with Ted Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart and Elyse Fitzpatrick's Give Them Grace rather than a stand-alone guide. 3 stars.
Katherine
Very sound principles, but a few things in here REALLY annoyed me. Spanking "infants" and sick children? No thanks; mercy also pictures God to our children, you know. Still, those parts were literally only a matter of a few lines in the book. I may just have to get out a Sharpie...
Homeschoolmama
Someone gave me this book as a gift when I had my first baby. Whew babies! It was very tough for me to read.. So hard I couldn't finish it. Seemed a bit harsh with the advice on discipline.
John
Ray's book is fine, but published in 1978 there are many other choices with a similar theological bent I would offer up as much more readable and practical offerings.
Natali
A good little primer on Christian childrearing and discipline. I read my parents' version from the 1970s, so I'm not sure if it's been revised since then!
Joe
Dec 21, 2007 Joe is currently reading it
wow, this book has not been rated by anyone!
Castrobabble
Oct 29, 2012 Castrobabble marked it as to-read
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family/Parenting
Thomas Woods
Thomas Woods marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Nayara
Nayara is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Vivian
Vivian added it
Apr 27, 2015
Andy
Andy added it
Mar 25, 2015
John Brackbill
John Brackbill is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Audra
Audra added it
Jan 01, 2015
Bordercross
Bordercross marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014