3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Withhold Not Correction
Published July 1st 1989 by P & R Publishing (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Withhold Not Correction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Withhold Not Correction

Melissa
Disclaimer- this book is for Christians families and relies on the Biblical mode of discipline and correction.

I don't think I would recommend this book to parents without the huge caveat to take everything the authors writes with a grain of salt. While Ray does provide some valuable insight into godly forms of discipline he does, in my opinion, fall short of the rational mark. Ray also tends to be excessively wordy and redundant in his mandate that parents need to be saved before attempting to...more
Jerry
Lots of clear, straight-forward Bible teaching on spanking out of Proverbs and elsewhere. I'd like to recommend this book more, but a few flies in the ointment prevent it, like when Ray recommends teaching your kids to respond to the snap of your fingers. No doubt this could be done graciously, but he comes across as tone deaf which makes me wonder how it went for him and his kids. Discipline should be tender, and tenderness should disciplined. Still, for those stuck in the sentimental and lamel...more
Gary
I didn't actually find this very useful. Far too much of it merely repeated the previous thought without any additional insight or in any significantly different way. It was also bloated with the standard evangelical jargon that so many modern authors feel the need to include (I simply don't want a book on discipline that has a whole third of it telling me basic Christian truths in a bland way).

The sections advocating the evangelising of our children are more than unhelpful and show just how low...more
Jeff McCormack
Back around the time I was starting to have children, I was given this book to read. It became a foundational work on the area of discipline with my children. I still hold this book in high esteem, and recommend it often. Upon this firm foundation, the building blocks were further laid with such excellent books as "Shepherding a Child's Heart" (Tripp) and "Standing on the Promises" (Wilson), all of which I suggest to people even today. Great book!!
Sam
While dated (published in '78), the author seeks to winsomely and biblically work out the foundation of discipline in the Christian home. The best place for this book is in a complementary position with Ted Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart and Elyse Fitzpatrick's Give Them Grace rather than a stand-alone guide. 3 stars.
Katherine Kirkpatrick
Very sound principles, but a few things in here REALLY annoyed me. Spanking "infants" and sick children? No thanks; mercy also pictures God to our children, you know. Still, those parts were literally only a matter of a few lines in the book. I may just have to get out a Sharpie...
Homeschoolmama
Someone gave me this book as a gift when I had my first baby. Whew babies! It was very tough for me to read.. So hard I couldn't finish it. Seemed a bit harsh with the advice on discipline.
John
Ray's book is fine, but published in 1978 there are many other choices with a similar theological bent I would offer up as much more readable and practical offerings.
Natali
A good little primer on Christian childrearing and discipline. I read my parents' version from the 1970s, so I'm not sure if it's been revised since then!
Joe
Dec 21, 2007 Joe is currently reading it
wow, this book has not been rated by anyone!
Karel
Oct 29, 2012 Karel marked it as to-read
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family/Parenting
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Jonathan Ignacio
Jonathan Ignacio marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Beth
Beth is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2014
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014