Start by marking “All the Strange Hours: The Excavation of a Life” as Want to Read:
All the Strange Hours: The Excavation of a Life

All the Strange Hours: The Excavation of a Life

A native of Lincoln, Nebraska, Loren Eiseley began his lifelong exploration of nature in the salt flats and ponds around his hometown and in the mammoth bone collection hoarded in the old red brick museum at the University of Nebraska, where heconducted his studies in anthropology. It was in pursuit of this interest, and in the expression of his natural curiosity and wonde ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Bison Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about All the Strange Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Strange Hours

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondCosmos by Carl SaganThe Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
Best General Science Books
101st out of 378 books — 366 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëVanity Fair by William Makepeace ThackerayAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyMiddlemarch by George Eliot
Rocking-chair Days - The Re-Reads
192nd out of 325 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Ron
Apr 21, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Reading Loren Eiseley, you are a visitor in a world shaped by experiences that seldom have found a voice such as his. An isolated Nebraska childhood in the early decades of the 20th century, and an even more isolating experience riding the rails as a drifter during the Great Depression -- these are not auspicious beginnings for a respected writer or a scholar. His family was poor, and his deaf, deranged mother haunted his life. From early on, he was a loner, with a poet's sensibility, who learne ...more
Chrisl
Feb 13, 2016 Chrisl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanted ink on paper images to accompany morning coffee. Let Eiseley book open at random.

Here's one :

"'No,' I began, 'it was the same year as the Titanic sinking. He blew the gates with nitroglycerin. I was 5 years old, like you.' Then I paused, considering the time. 'You are right,' I admitted hesitantly. 'I was already old enough to know one should flee from the universe but I did not know where to run.'"

“ … the brain has become a kind of unseen artist's loft. There are pictures that hang aske
Patty
Feb 22, 2016 Patty rated it liked it
The person that recommended this read describes it best. "The book is divided into three sections: "Days of a Drifter" with 7 chapters, "Days of a Thinker" with 13 chapters, and "Days of a Doubter" with 5 chapters. He overcame so much--dropping out of high school, riding the rails, tuberculosis--and then embarked on an academic career that resulted in many awards, none of which really mattered to him. As an anthropologist, he knew that we are all dust in the end."

I have never read any of Loren E
Julia
Jan 20, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I have long admired Loren Eiseley and especially have been inspired by The Immense Journey and The Star Thrower. He is one of my guides in life, along with some other naturalist/philosophers such as Carl Sagan and Annie Dillard. I knew that Eiseley was a respected professor of anthropology, but I was unprepared for how affected I would be by this autobiography, All the Strange Hours: The Excavation of a Life.

I was overwhelmed by his first two paragraphs, and knew instantly that this autobiograph
Matthew Maline
Aug 24, 2014 Matthew Maline rated it it was amazing
It took a bit of jumping around to get this book, but the payoff was worth it. Eiseley's way of describing quirks in himself and the world around him is uplifting where it could have been cynical, yet mellow instead of romantic. For example, after recounting the improbably complex lifecycle of the Sphexe wasp, he spins it as something more than meaningless but less than supernatural:

I am an evolutionist. I believe my great backyard Sphexes have evolved like other creatures. But watching them in
Robin
Oct 02, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
The stories of his early life and especially his mother are haunting, and you can tell as the book goes on that this is a thoughtful man's last gasp, at times petty and utterly human and at others expansive. It can be beautiful when someone's writing, their personal and intellectual life, informs and is informed by their more scientific career, how well they mesh. How even at a clinical remove he can still unearth the weight of smaller, daily tragedies.
Edward
Jan 09, 2015 Edward rated it really liked it
Eiseley in this autobiography writes," I who profess no religion find the whole of my life a religious pilgrimage." It at first seems an odd statement as Eiseley is not in any usual sense a conventional "religious" person. He is an anthropologist and writes evocatively and well of his youth , a difficult one and of his many excavations among the remains and ruins of people and civilizations which have receded into the past. But at the same time, he is never far from asking questions about the "m ...more
sisterimapoet
Apr 28, 2014 sisterimapoet rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction14
I heard of Eiseley through a recent book I read. And I wasn't disappointed. This was atmospheric, imaginative, and profound. I felt that I leaned in and listened closely to what he had to tell me. It took me everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It should me something about how to live as well as how to write about how we live.
B. Mason
Bones and bottle caps. Eiseley is a gifted writer, his control of form and tone are excellent in the book, yet this is an autobiography and as such he meanders down paths and anecdotes in a haphazard fashion. It's less about the sentence-long conversations he remembers from childhood and more to do with an instance like his impassioned meeting with Tim, a giant man going to break up a strike he meets on the train. Eiseley's meeting with Tim is a moment he recalls with startling clarity and imbue ...more
Charles
Aug 09, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is largely an autobiography of Eiseley and it reveals much about him as a person but also about his life-long love of both science and writing. Great work.
Ben Loory
Nov 13, 2008 Ben Loory rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like biographies and/or the natural sciences
Recommended to Ben by: some random guy on the interweb
this was good, but i gave it up halfway through. it's an autobiography by a famous anthropologist / naturalist / poet / writer. the writing was really good and the guy was smart and interesting. but really, i just don't care about real life. i get so antsy reading anecdotes and people's thoughts about shit. what's the point of all this? i keep thinking. what are we doing here in this book? this book could be eleven pages long or 800... any story in it could be taken out or added to or replaced w ...more
Andrew Schrader
Apr 09, 2016 Andrew Schrader rated it liked it
I love Eiseley's work. Even though this was my least favorite of his books I've read so far, it's still enjoyable, mostly because of his amazing style. His work is haunting and full of melancholy. The way he turns rolling a set of dice as a kid into his life's cosmic voyage should be taught in writing classes. He invented a style and ended it, too - he is impossible to duplicate. He was a true renegade.
John
Aug 24, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Appropriately finished Eiseley's autobiography holed up in a tent in the Poconos during a long rainstorm. In his growing up in a neurotic household in Nebraska and the years of his youth spent hopping trains and slumming out the Depression, you can see the development of Eiseley's career as a scientific outsider. I loved the later chapter on the giant wasp, Sphecius speciosus; how the intricate, vicious and somewhat bizarre nature of the creature's prey and feeding habits illuminates the mysteri ...more
Scott
May 16, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Hauntingly beautiful prose. A most atypical autobiography full of stories that both pull at you and resonate alienation and loneliness. Definitely worth picking up.
Ezekiel
Nov 14, 2015 Ezekiel rated it it was amazing
Perfect. The sum of a lifetime. A man of science and wisdom excavates his long years and reveals to us the central and staggering mysteries of humanity.
Tish
Jan 27, 2009 Tish rated it liked it
In my opinion, Loren Eiseley can't go wrong when he writes about avian pathos. Unfortunately, there's no avian pathos in All the Strange Hours. There's feline pathos, mouse pathos, familial pathos, and... a gambling metaphor that I still don't understand. Eiseley comes across rather awkward when he talks about himself, self-conscious and edgy. The sadness that peeks around his other works here takes a gloomy center stage. Reading it, I wondered if he couldn't give himself permission to soar (oh, ...more
David Kessler
Dec 23, 2014 David Kessler rated it it was amazing
Eiseley had many adventures include the obvious but his life was just a little different. He launched his professional career at an older age after traveling the country by rail and foot during the Great Depression.
Once he began studying anthropology, he was hooked. He is a born writer and damn good at it but for a short while he acted in a provost and college administrator capacity. But back to his writing: he is a marvelous observer of man and also has the keenest of the thinkers in the scient
Scott
Apr 05, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Soul man.
Maren
Sep 03, 2012 Maren rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Hindsight is 20/20, but Eiseley goes quite a bit further than merely looking back as he reflects on his life. As the title suggests, he is uncovering thoughts from the past as if they were bones preserved over time, and he examines each one carefully--I liked to think of each chapter as one bone: each a treasure by itself, but must be put in the right place with the others if the complete shape is to be comprehended.
Chris
May 02, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humanism
I don't know if I've ever read a writer of such unabashed intensity and melancholy. Eiseley traces the jagged, sharp edges of a natural world that is indifferent, violent, beautiful, and marked by occasional grace. Eiseley sees himself as cut from the same stone. Fragmented memories and buried anxieties, instinct, are of a piece with the shards of bone and artifact that Eiseley brushes off with his pen.
Venessa E-man
Oct 30, 2008 Venessa E-man rated it it was ok
I feel like I just don't get this book. Eiseley's erudite writing just goes way over my head. And it seems like he's trying to compete with real modern writers - trying his hand at the whole stream of conscious. He should have stuck to science and had a ghost writer for the book.
Zenitram
Dec 11, 2009 Zenitram rated it really liked it
An autobiography from a well-known anthropologist and scientist, he provides an interesting perspective on life as shown through his childhood and his studies/teaching. Check it out if you are looking for something different
Jennifer Chushcoff
Aug 17, 2015 Jennifer Chushcoff rated it it was amazing
Powerful and revealing essays on the human condition. Gorgeous language. I found this author by following another favorite, Ray Bradbury. Bradbury spoke highly of Eiseley during an interview. Now I know why.
Ruth
Dec 28, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Fascinated with the book because I remember hobos coming to my house asking for food. Every chapter was about a different part of his life. The book was well written, authentic.
Grey
Apr 06, 2008 Grey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naturalism
The man's own words about his amazing life.
Eiseley is a god to me and it's tons of cool to read more about his childhood,mentors and the beginnings of a bone collecter.
Maggie
May 23, 2007 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Biological anthropology, hoboism, childhood, aging, writing. Loren Eiseley's words are perfect, and his life's story is eventful and well related. So good.
BookSweetie
A scientist who is a gifted writer, creating scenes from his life that will stay with you.
Rivers
Sep 04, 2016 Rivers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loren-eiseley
4.5. It's 2016 how does this app not have half stars?
Liina
Jul 01, 2011 Liina rated it it was amazing
See review for "The Night Country."
Cori
Aug 29, 2015 Cori rated it it was amazing
Love him. love, love love.
  • Hole in the Sky: A Memoir
  • A Childhood: The Biography of a Place
  • Heaven's Coast: A Memoir
  • Because I Was Flesh
  • French Lessons: A Memoir
Loren Corey Eiseley (September 3, 1907 – July 9, 1977) was a highly respected anthropologist, science writer, ecologist, and poet. He published books of essays, biography, and general science in the 1950s through the 1970s.

Eiseley is best known for the poetic essay style, called the "concealed essay". He used this to explain complex scientific ideas, such as human evolution, to the general public.
More about Loren Eiseley...