Start by marking “You Can Do Anything, Daddy” as Want to Read:
You Can Do Anything, Daddy

You Can Do Anything, Daddy

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
If your dad is willing to save you from pirates, gorilla pirates, robot gorilla pirates and even robot gorilla pirates from Mars, you know he’ll do anything for you. And if that makes your dad hungry and thirsty or if he gets cuts and bruises, you know just how to take care of him right back. An adventurous tale of the heroic lengths fathers and sons will go for each other ...more
Published March 22nd 2007 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about You Can Do Anything, Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Do Anything, Daddy

Amaal
Mar 26, 2014 Amaal rated it really liked it
Title: You Can Do Anything Daddy!
Author: Michael Rex
Date of Publication: 2007
Genre: Fiction/Picture Book
Annotations: While being tucked into bed, a child asks his father if he would come for him in a number of scenarios. The father responds affirmatively as to what he would do to get his son back safe and sound.

This is a fun and imaginative book. The pictures are excellent and the words are easy to read. The plot reminds me of Runaway Bunny, where the parent would do anything for the child to b
Kelly Sommers
Nov 03, 2013 Kelly Sommers rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng261
You Can Do Anything, Daddy! by Michael Rex, is an adventures contemporary realistic fiction children’s book. The story starts off with the dad tucking his son into bed. His son asks his dad if he would save him if pirates took him. The dad answers just as any other father would, “Of course, Son”. This is the basic story line of the book. The son continues to keep asking his dad questions along the same line as the first one. In the close, the son said that he would take care of his dad after he ...more
Brooke
Jun 29, 2015 Brooke rated it liked it
This book was okay. I did it as a flannel story. The kids liked but not loved the cumulative story line, and at the end I had them all put bandaids on the beat up dad. They liked that part.
Anna J.
Nov 17, 2013 Anna J. rated it did not like it
Shelves: eng-261
You Can Do Anything, Daddy by Michael Rex is a story about a boy questioning if his dad will save him through robots and aliens, etc. It ignites the reader’s imagination as the boy’s “what ifs” get bigger and bigger, and the dad says he would save him no matter what. The story takes a twist as the boy responds to his father’s love and offers to save his dad through whatever he might face as well. This book though good in concept, seemed to be a bit lengthy in style; however, I think children wil ...more
AJ
Feb 03, 2016 AJ rated it really liked it
Very cute and funny if you've ever had to deal with a kid that won't stop saying "what if"
Jennie
Jan 21, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
During a conversation at bedtime a father details all of the ways he would protect his son from harm as the son creates increasingly more elaborate scenarios. After the tales of his father’s heroism the boy describes how he would comfort and care for his father.

Although the story is quite simple, it’s very sweet. Also the illustrations in this book are really captivating. Small children would really enjoy the way Michael Rex visually transforms the villains into pirate-gorilla-alien morphs. Als
Shelby Moser
Oct 28, 2013 Shelby Moser rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261
This book was read in class and introduced as a contemporary realistic fiction as the genre, however I would not have categorized this book that way on my own. I would put this book in a fantasy genre with some realistic components. The little boy in the book was questioning his father about how far he would go to save him if he was taken. he father obviously had an answer to every scenario. This book is a cute book that gives the children a view of their father as a hero. The theme could be des ...more
Amie Anderson
Nov 07, 2013 Amie Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng261
You Can Do Anything, Daddy is a cute picture book for children ages 2-5. It is about a little boy who imagines many extreme situations his dad could conquer. Kids will enjoy the book's colorful pictures and the patterns in the storytelling. I think both boys and girls would like this book. It may be difficult for kids who do not have fathers or good relationships with their fathers, though. The themes in this book are adventure and imagination and the genre could be said to be realistic or fanta ...more
Kelsey
Apr 27, 2016 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool - 1st grade

"If your dad will save you from pirates, gorilla pirates, robot gorilla pirates, and even robot gorilla pirates from Mars, you know he'll do anything for you." A boy's creative imagination puts him in the grips of dangerous villains while his "average" looking dad always outwits them in order to save his son. Even more precious, the little boy patches him up and kisses his bruises in the end. Excellent book for the heroic-minded dad.
Mecca Morrison
Oct 24, 2013 Mecca Morrison rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love how at the end when the son thanks his dad by taking care of him by giving him a drink and medicine to take care of him after he has saved him. I think that it is a good contemporary realistic fiction because it shows the imagination that goes on in a child’s head. This books shows the love a father has for his son and everything that he would do to make sure his son is safe. I would say the age group for this book would be 4-6.
Victoria Salzmann
Dec 13, 2013 Victoria Salzmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng216
I loved this book! I am definitely going to use it in my classroom because it is an interesting read that makes children 0-4 years old use their imagination. The story is about a little boy who tests his father's love in many creative ways. The end is the best part however, because the son fixes the father's boo boos and brings him apple juice after he is done fighting to save him. I just loved this picture book.
Dolly
Jun 05, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny book; reminiscent of Futurama and Family Guy in its illustrations, that tells a wild tale of all the great things a Dad would do to save his son. And then all of the tender things a son would do to bandage up his Dad after the adventure. It's a great story to read to kids at bedtime: imaginative, silly, and loving. Our girls have borrowed this a few times from the library.
Sep 24, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
In this society, men and especially dads are mocked and ridiculed. It was refreshing to read a story that portrays fathers in a good light. I really enjoyed this story about a little boy and his daddy. The little boy, needing assurance from his father, makes up a story about being kidnapped by pirates, and the father counters with how he would rescue his son.
Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Super book for dads to read with the kids. Involves a daring rescue from robot gorilla pirates from Mars, snakes and vultures. In the end, its the kid who truly saves the day. What more could you ask from a bedtime story with dad? Illustrations are fun, colorful and go well with the text. Dad has a nice receding hairline.
The Brothers
Mar 08, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
With so many children's books portraying fathers as incompetent imbeciles, this book was a refreshing departure. Very endearing story about the great lengths a father will go to to "save" his son from being kidnapped (by pirate gorilla robots from outer space!).

Very imaginative illustrations and story.
Carol
Mar 25, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot. It redoes "Runaway Bunny" for the dads and their sons adding adventures that are sure to appeal to males. That said, I'd rather of had the child be just a child, not a boy or a girl. Girls like the swashbuckling adventures as well! And they want to know their Dads will be their for them as well.
Meghan Hunt
May 17, 2013 Meghan Hunt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jp-picture-books
This is a darling book about all the incredible things a father would do for his son--and, ultimately, what a son would do for his father. The illustrations are vibrant and look like they are straight from an adventurous cartoon.

I would highly recommend this book to fathers to read to their children.
Annie
Apr 06, 2009 Annie rated it really liked it
This is the first book we've read that both Sam (3) and Owen (1) have really liked. It's very silly and sweet, and has Robot Gorilla Pirates from Mars. The pictures are fun, but Sam did wonder why the sky was yellow in all the pictures. He really likes the page with the volcano.
Erin Saflarski
This spirited children's picture book tells the story of the heroic lengths fathers and sons will go for each other and how they will take care of each other. This story will produce giggles and warm hugs from the love of a family. This book is appropriate for ages 4-8.
Keegan
Sep 23, 2011 Keegan rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-book-dads
I felt like we had way more "Mommy" books than "Daddy" books, so for Father's Day, I got Patrick a handful of children's books that are about dads. This is one of them. It's awesome because it's fun (over the top ridiculous, in fact) but sweet, so they both enjoy reading it.
Jenny
Dec 20, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
I liked the progressive nature of the child's imagination and found it true to form. I also like the dad's tenacity to protect the child and reassurances. I like the end where the child, in turn, helps his father. It isn't scary, just silly.
IrenesBookReviews
Dec 04, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it really liked it
Shows some things seem scarier then they really are. I liked that it was a Dad putting the child to bed and helping him with the monsters. It is good to read with any child but especially for a dad and son.

Brandon Nagel
Nov 07, 2012 Brandon Nagel rated it it was amazing
This was my son's favorite book for about a year. We read it just about every night before bed. It is a great father/son book if your son is around 4-5 years old.
Julia
Fabulous dialogue between father and son about the ways they would save/take care of each other, even under attack from robot gorilla pirates from Mars. Adorable!
Krystal
Oct 23, 2012 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Evan (2 1/2) loves this book. We read it every single night (several times) for a week or two after checking it out from the library.
 Sara
Mar 07, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
fun story of a dad protecting his son from increasingly far-fetched and scary monsters. Great for any preschooler without monster issues.
Matthew
Jun 10, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
What with its story and pictures, this might be the perfect Father's Day gift for a dad of a three or four year old.
Lisag
Oct 18, 2012 Lisag rated it it was amazing
I've read this book every night this week, ever since the kids got it at the library. Excellent!
Pauline
Nov 11, 2013 Pauline rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Robby loved how the dad takes care of the son and in the end the son even takes care of the dad.
Emma
May 05, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it
This little boy's father will do anything to save his son from Robot Gorilla Pirates from Mars!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »