Start by marking “New Blood (Blood Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
New Blood (Blood Magic, #1)

New Blood (Blood Magic #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  385 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In 1636, the last blood sorceress was burned at the stake. More than two hundred years later, her blood servant Jax has found her successor. Amanusa at first turns down the opportunity to learn what she perceives as an evil art. But she craves justice, and innocent blood cries out for justice.

When Amanusa looses magic on those who’ve harmed her, she must flee for her life
Mass Market Paperback, 500 pages
Published March 3rd 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about New Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Blood

Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
40th out of 287 books — 808 voters
The Greyfriar by Clay GriffithSoulless by Gail CarrigerChangeless by Gail CarrigerThe Rift Walker by Clay GriffithTimeless by Gail Carriger
Best vampire steampunk novel
12th out of 15 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

new_user
Dec 06, 2008 new_user rated it liked it
New Blood is my first steampunk. For those who don't know, steampunk is fiction involving an alternate vision of the Industrial Age (1800s), usually with more technology or, as in this case, the paranormal. Envision the 1800s if magic had been a fact of life. That's New Blood, perhaps the first steampunk romance I've seen. With all that said, New Blood is a solid read, particularly if character development, unraveling mysteries, and action are a priority for you.

A good part of the novel involve
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 24, 2009 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: The Discriminating Fangirl
Blood servant to the blood sorceress Yvaine, who was burnt to death by an angry ignorant mob in 1636, Jax has spent over two hundred years looking for Yvaine's apprentice. He finally finds her in Transylvania, Hungary, a tall beautiful woman called Amanusa Whitcomb who practices small women's magic to keep under the Inquisition's radar. She immediately inherits not only Yvaine's tower in Scotland, her books and lore and wealth, but also Jax himself who is magically bound to her.

Like everyone els
Jess the Romanceaholic
I have two main things to say about this book. First, this book was awesome and has landed Gail Dayton a solid spot on my AutoBuy list from now on. Second, it's not steampunk. Or, at least, it's not steampunk as in what I envision when I think of steampunk. To me, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and The Iron Duke are steampunk, with things like airships and nanites and whatnot. The only thing that this book (and its sequel) had that, to me, screamed "steampunk" were the critters (which wer ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jan 30, 2010 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of good paranormal romances. New Blood by Gail Dayton goes on my favorites shelf. Set in the 1800's where magic is common place New Blood follows Jax and Amanusa as they travel on a journey filled with danger and discovery. New Blood is a great start to a new paranormal series.
LiteraryLover
It was a little slow at first but got better as it went along. I wasn't crazy about the ending and I felt the big confession between the hero and heroine wasn't as big as I wanted to to be. However the world building and characters were fantastic and it was still really good despite my complaints.
Alyssa Brandon
Jan 02, 2014 Alyssa Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: enoyed
The blood magic was very interesting, as was the world Dayton created in New Blood. In fact I found both those two things more interesting than the characters. Not that Amanusa and Jax were uninteresting. They both had good character arcs, realistic flaws and issues. I just somehow felt they were less interesting than the very alternative history/world. This might be because the author is actually starting a series and thus needs to build up the world.

Anyway, over all a fairly enjoyable read. I
inga
"Made of dark metal with a dull charcoal-grey sheen, it consisted of a melon-sized sphere suspended between two six-spoked stars, rather like rimless wheels. A pair of jointed telescoping arms dangled awkwardly from the center ball. The pointed one - sharped and edged, like a knife - still had rust-brown flakes of dried bllod clinging to it."

I couldn't help it; everytime the threanting mechanical creatures were described, I pictured them to look like this:

Walle-e
Aww,look how cute he looks. Kinda sad,
Gina
A good start to, I’m hoping, a new series.

Jax has been looking endlessly for the previous blood sorceress’s successor, one who would unleash the knowledge Yvaine had stored in his mind, the magic in his body.

Amanusa lost her family at a very young age, was raped and beated repeatedly since, and has lost a huge chunk of herself. When Jax approaches, she doesn’t believe him and sends him on his way, for a woman in Romania is forbidden to perform any sort of magic. Jax has to find a way to convince
Rea
Dec 31, 2011 Rea rated it it was amazing
Full review can be found here.

*Note that I read the second book in this series before I read this one.*

At first it was a little weird coming into this first book with prior knowledge of the world building. This soon passed, however, and I found myself fully immersed in the story. The setting, the wilds of the Transylvanian mountains (or the Carpathians to call them by their real name), is one that I am particularly fond of (just personal taste) and the author did the remote mountain area justice
Cid Tyer
Nov 16, 2010 Cid Tyer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-books, favorites
I can’t remember where I heard about this book, but it stuck in my head until I saw it at a traveling book shop, so I snagged it – especially after attending a steampunk panel and finding it on a list of steampunk books! The writing is both modern and period in that it is easy to read but also relates to the alternate time period in a way that is not altogether anachronistic – but organic.

The Setting – is in an alternate 19th Century Europe where magic in its four forms has had a leg hacked off
⊱ Irena ⊰
It took me a lot of time to start reading this book thanks to the hideous cover. I know I shouldn't judge the book by its cover, but every time I thought of reading it, the colourful monstrosity made me change my mind. I mean, look at it!

First of all, I've decided to read this because it was labelled steampunk. I have no idea why. The only steampunkish things were some mechanical critters (not steam powered). The rest of the book is a fantasy historical romance set in alternative time - Europe i
Pamela
Jun 09, 2009 Pamela rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book, but it felt unfinished. I was absolutely entranced by the first half of the book; I loved both of the main characters and thought their interactions were fascinating. And then they got to Paris and I started to lose interest. Their interaction outside of society was so much more interesting than when they were trying to fit in, and while I really enjoyed this book, I feel like it kind of fell flat toward the end. The end itself just felt… unfinished, as if there ...more
Sara
Feb 08, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Everyone knows how much I love alternate history, so I'm surprised and slightly disappointed in myself that it took this long for me to read this book. It was sitting right there on my shelf, and I've had it for almost two years. I found out about it through a Smart Bitches, Trashy Books review:
...and SBTB hasn't led me wrong yet. Well, almost never. Captured was a terrible betrayal, but it was a guest review. I still trust Sarah and Candy with all my read
Kari Chapman
This book didn't quite work for me. There were two major issues. First, it moved a bit too slow. We were almost 25% through the book before anything really started happening.

My second problem is that while the real "bad guy" of the story (the dead zones) seemed very interesting, they weren't given nearly as much attention as the human bad guys, who were really, really annoying to me. I hate villains that are so focused on being stereotypes, they fail to show any use of logic or thought. I also
E.
Nov 30, 2010 E. rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Disturbing cover but excellent tale. Gradual unfolding of the tale of the last blood sorceress who has been tracked down by a man who has been bound to deliver the knowledge of her apprenticeship when his previous mistress was killed. Interesting conceit that previous sorceress lived so long in the past that most of current beliefs about her art are not necessarily accurate and she is able to use the man to communicate with her apprentice even though she is actually long dead. Another alternate ...more
Lori
May 15, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
****Received as a prize from a contest from Tor.com****

Solid writing and believable characters bring life to this novel. The main protagonists, Jax and Amanusa, are easy to understand and admire, despite the trying circumstances they keep finding themselves in.

My only complaints are three unanswered plot points:
1) What is Crow, besides a convenient plot device at times?
2) What are the dead zones and the mechanical creatures that call them home?
3) Why are previous blood sorceresses described as h
Korynn
Jan 23, 2011 Korynn rated it it was ok
So a stranger shows up and insists that you're a blood witch with a huge inheritance waiting for you back in England, what would you do? Probably what this character does but eventually the stranger makes his point and the plot rolls on into the reawakening of lost magic, the learning of a new craft, a solution to a threat to magic in Europe and lots of other magicians yelling criticism and surprise. It starts out a simple story of two people finding each other and learning to trust one another ...more
Erica
May 11, 2013 Erica rated it it was amazing
It has been a while since I have read this book but I still remember liking it a lot. I remember the author had described everything so well that you could picture it (like any good author does)but it was described so well that I can still remember details about it years after reading the book. I like to find books that have unique stories that involve magic without it being cheesy. I loved the main characters Jax and Amanusa and the struggles they had.
I was not surprised to see this book was p
Cornelia
Jan 30, 2010 Cornelia rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible. I loved it. So original. If you like fantasy or magic and especially if you are looking for something different, you have to read this. It's classified as Steampunk. It fits the time period and the social commentary; it's focused on the way women are treated. It has machines in it but they are featured in the in book in a very unusual way. But if you like Steampunk or fantasy I think you should read this. It is a romance but the heat level is very low as fits the charac ...more
Kim
I find that I am not big on romance books as much as I used to be. That said, I loved this book! It is listed as a paranomal romance by the publisher, but I found to be much more than that. It mixes magic, with our reality, setting it in the 1860's. I understand that this is called steampunk, and it covers any book set in the industrial age. I loved the mix, the mystery, and I am waiting impatiently for Gail to write the next book in the series.
Ellie
May 16, 2012 Ellie rated it really liked it
Ok so the beginning was quite sudden, but I don't think her decision was as random as a lot of the other reviews say. It's just the unfortunate affect of not enough background information from the beginning. However, once the book gets rolling I really enjoyed it. I think it's a very origional story line, though the romance does become a little stiffling towards the end. "New Blood" made an entertaining read for the beginning of my summer :)
Kelly
Nov 23, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok
I almost didn't make it passed the first few chapers, but it ended up being a pretty good read.
Donna Jo Atwood
Amanusa has been hiding out in Austria, but is discovered by Jax who is the magically bound servant of the last blood sorceress. The two of them go to France, traveling through several dead zones that inhibit the practice of magic, but the two of them together manage to survive to confront the problem.
This is not my kind of book at all, but I found it very readable.
Task 15.1
Kathryn
My feelings for this book drastically waivered chapter to chapter. I enjoyed the first half much more than the second half. I felt that most of the character development was slightly over the top and at times, the characters' actions were confusing or information was abruptly provided. Yet I am happy I read this book and will read others if the series continues.
Lisa
May 28, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Often paranormal romances slight the fantasy for the romance. This book didn't I wanted to know more about the world, blood sorcery, and the dead zones as much as I wanted to see how the relationship between the hero and heroine would turn out. I hope this grows into a series; I'm looking forward to reading more.
Ara
Feb 01, 2015 Ara rated it really liked it
Good book, solid world building but I felt it became rushed at the end. The writing style changed, as if after 600pages the author had decided that she needed to change how the characters acted. It was a very poor way to show character development. But I am interested in the story and may pick up book two.
Liz B
Jul 08, 2009 Liz B rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
I will never understand why Luna books dropped Gail Dayton. I didn't enjoy New Blood the way I did the Compass Rose trilogy, but I still found it impossible to put down.

The cover is atrocious. I never in a million years would've bought this book if I weren't familiar with the author.
Nicola Pike
Sep 05, 2014 Nicola Pike rated it it was amazing
With four types of magic in the world and one the domain of women. After two hundred years that magic is about to return to the world with a bang. This is a lovely love story and I like the blend of magic and its setting.

first read 13 march 2013
Lynn Calvin
Mar 18, 2010 Lynn Calvin rated it really liked it
Amazon preorder

Interesting take on magic, liked the blood stuff, wasn't sure I would. No vampires, which I was afraid of. A little heavier on the "we don't let women . . ." meme than I care for, but overall a nicely done story and romance.
Chade66
Jan 04, 2010 Chade66 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk, read-2009
I loved the Compass Rose series so much that it gets shelf space at my house (I have limited shelf space these days).

New Blood is interesting, though it didn't suck me in the way the Compass Rose did. Looking forward to what she writes next.
  • Avalon Revisited
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Like Clockwork
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Stranger (The Blades of the Rose, #4)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1)
  • Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)
  • Whitechapel Gods
  • The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #1)
  • Island of Icarus
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • The Kingdom Beyond the Waves (Jackelian, #2)
I've been a fan of fantasy, science fiction, fairy tales and other "books of wonder" since I was young enough, I still thought kissing was icky. Then I grew up and decided I liked a strong dose of romance in the mix.

I live on the Texas coast with my fella of 30-plus years, our youngest son (who should be graduating college this semester) and the granddog Dolly, a princess wussy pitbull mix who le
More about Gail Dayton...

Blood Magic (3 books)
  • Heart's Blood (Blood Magic, #2)
  • Heart's Magic (Blood Magic #3)