Start by marking “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” as Want to Read:
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  210,939 Ratings  ·  6,041 Reviews
In this harrowing tale of good and evil, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll develops a potion that unleashes his secret, inner persona—the loathsome, twisted Mr. Hyde.
Published September 2nd 2003 by Signet Classics (first published January 5th 1886)

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, please sign up.

Sherry Elmer I think it is more appalling than "scary." If it is scary, it is scary in a good way, in that it scares us not to act as Dr. Jekyll chose to act.…moreI think it is more appalling than "scary." If it is scary, it is scary in a good way, in that it scares us not to act as Dr. Jekyll chose to act. There is, however, a senseless, brutal murder, so if you are asking in regard to a child reading this, take that into account as you decide.(less)
Carole It is one book, but Barnes and Nobles has an addition that contains several other stories by Stevenson, some of which are quite good!
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
191st out of 16,296 books — 76,611 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
24th out of 5,310 books — 11,889 voters

More lists with this book...

Ariel
Oct 31, 2014 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH BOY, OH BOY, PEOPLE I HAVE A NEW FAVOURITE!

This edition came with two stories, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Bottle Imp," and they were both awesome let's talk about them. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.

Jekyll:
- So. Well. Crafted. From beginning to end the story was engaging and the themes where quite straightforward, but I really love that in writing (see: George Orwell is my favourite author). I like it when authors aren't bogging their messages down in unnee
Stephen
KUDOS, KUDOS and more KUDOS to you, Mr. Stevenson!! First, for bringing me more happy than a Slip N Slide on a scorching summer day by providing Warner Bros with the inspiration for one of my favorite cartoons, Hyde and Go Tweet:
HydeandGoTweetStill-1-1-2v2
...I mean who didn't love giant, cat-eating Tweety Hyde.

Second, and more seriously, when I tardily returned to your classic gothic novella as an adult, you once again red-lined my joy meter with the strength and eloquence of your story craft. You story is the gift that
Jeffrey Keeten
May 04, 2016 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, gothic, victorian
”It came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter, and younger than Henry Jekyll. Even as good shone upon the countenance of the one, evil was written broadly and plainly on the face of the other. Evil besides (which I must still believe to be the lethal side of man) had left on that body an imprint of deformity and decay. And yet when I looked upon that ugly idol in the glass, I was conscious of no repugnance rather of a leap of welcome.

This too, was myself.”

photo Jekyll-mansfield_zps5229ba58.jpg
Richard Mansfield was
Anne
Apr 24, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it
Pfft.
This Stevenson guy totally ripped off Stan Lee's Hulk character!

I mean, did this dude seriously think he could get away with what basically boils down to a copy & paste job of one of the most iconic literary characters in comics?!
I. Think. Not.
Stan, my friend, you have a real chance at winning a copyright infringement lawsuit.
(view spoiler)
Bookworm Sean
Robert Louis Stevenson was a man who knew how to play his audience. Utterson, the primary point of view character for this novel, is a classic Victorian gentleman; he is honest, noble and trustworthy; he is the last reputable acquaintance of down going men like Henry Jekyll. So, by having a character who evokes the classic feelings of Victorian realism narrate the abnormal encounterings, it gives it credibility; it gives it believability; thus, the story is scarier because if a man such as Utter ...more
Jeff
What I learned reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

By Jeff

1) Some things are better left unsaid. Really? Who knows how Hyde indulged himself? Hookers? Pirating? Running an orphan sweat shop? Booze? Opium? Ripping the “Do Not Remove under Penalty of Law” labels from mattresses?

2) Never have a nosy lawyer as a best friend. Who the hell hangs out with lawyers?

3) My evil Hyde would not be a top hat wearing, monkey-like Juggernaut. Sorry, he would be more Dean Martin-esque, a la “The Nutty Professor.

Delee
A veeeeeeeery short buddy-read with: Buddy Loooooove, Too much Buddy Love aka I want to be called The Nutty Professor, I love everybody Buddy Love, What did I do to deserve this Buddy Love?, Gimmie some Buddy Love....aaaaaand My brand new Buddy Love. Whew! Did I get everyone???

I am not a classic book reader- I fall under the category that some snobbish readers would call a fluffy reader..a reader for entertainment purposes only- Not a reader for intellectual growth. The classics were read in m
J.G. Keely
Nov 15, 2012 J.G. Keely rated it it was amazing
After the overblown Frankenstein and the undercooked Dracula, it's pleasant to find that the language and pacing of the third great pillar of horror is so forceful and deliberate (especially since I was disappointed by Stevenson's other big work, Treasure Island). But then, this is a short story, and it's somewhat easier to carry off the shock, horror, and mystery over fewer pages instead of drawing it out like Shelley and Stoker into a grander moralizing tale.

But Stevenson still manages to get
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 14, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, classics
IF ONLY the revelation halfway through this had been unknown to me before reading it, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. It was good, but knowing what the twist is can really bring a story down for me.

This book is also very simple and to-the-point, which isn't always my favourite style of writing. I would have enjoyed for the story to be more drawn out, preferably with an addition of at least another hundred pages.
Fionnuala
I have a memory from childhood related to Robert Louis Stevenson.
I shared a bedroom with an older sister, and at night, after lights out, we’d ask each other questions about books and authors, easy questions such as 'Who wrote Black Beauty?' or ‘What famous children's book was written by Captain Marryat?' (We only had very old books in our house as we lived deep in the country far from any bookshops. Enid Blyton never even reached us).
But sometimes my sister would pull a more challenging title o
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It seems like I've been familiar with the "good" Dr. Jekyll and the "evil" Mr. Hyde all my life, but the thing that most struck me, once I finally got around to actually reading this classic novella, is--other than their outward appearance--how alike these two aspects of the same man actually are.

Dr. Jekyll has always been aware of the duality in his character: he admits to some apparently fairly serious youthful indiscretions, and even when he consciously puts his vices behind him for a time,
Apatt
Oct 16, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
“I have become a monster! I must find a place where I can hide! That’s it! I shall call myself…” DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!
“Mr. Where-I-can!”

The above is paraphrased from a “Morecambe & Wise” Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sketch, they don’t often make me laugh, but this one is gold!

Not so much "The Strange Case" as the "Overly Familiar Case". The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of those stories that practically everybody knows so few people bother to read the original text. The original Fr
Franco  Santos
Hace rato que tenía pendiente este clásico del terror. Me gustó. En algunos momentos se me hizo bastante pesado, pero las últimas páginas valieron todo el esfuerzo. Quizás si no hubiese sabido el final, lo hubiera disfrutado mucho más.

description

Es una historia que nos muestra la sombra detrás de la sonrisa; la lucha interna entre el rescoldo y la llama.
Jean
Do you know what a "Jekyll and Hyde" character is? Of course you do. It is one of the descriptions, originally in a piece of literature, which has now become accepted in our vernacular. And there are many renditions of the story, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and countless references to it in all aspects of life. Quite an achievement for a slim Victorian volume written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, and published in 1886.

"Man is not truly one, but truly two."

So ass
Mario
Mar 18, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad that I decided to re-read this book, because I enjoyed it so much more than the first time. And I have no idea why I didn't like it this much first time around. I guess I rushed through it to get to the end. And I just remember that I found some parts really boring to read. Well this time, not a single page was boring.
I also really like how creepy the story was, and how well everything was explained in the end. This is that kind of a book that will make you think after you finish it
B0nnie
Oct 31, 2012 B0nnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
It's a musical. It's a movie. It's a syndrome. It's...Miles Davis.

What is Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and why is everyone talking about it? Science gone wrong? Drug use? Insanity? Dual personality: good vs. evil? The hypocrisy of Victorian society? Is it about the beast within? Sexual repression?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde has been absorbed into our culture so completely that it is difficult to separate fact from fiction. Here then are the facts. In my own words, I summarize exactly h
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 07, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
The duality of man. There are both good and evil in everyone. Two-faced Janus in Roman mythology. Like Erika Kohut who passes by a sex show house on her way home from music conservatory school where she teaches in the morning in Elfiede Jelinek’s novel The Piano Teacher. This 1886 novel, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson purports the belief that even in people who the society looks up to, there are some evil, thoughts or completely their other strange side, lurking ...more
Stepheny

My favorite thing about reading a classic is that I am usually way off in my pre-reading assessment of what it is. I love being wrong….in that scenario. When I think I know what a book is about and find out it’s something completely different is a great feeling. It’s even better when what it really is is better than what I thought it was….Follow me so far?

Great! Let’s keep going!

Here’s what I thought it was (try not to laugh too hard):

I thought that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a tale of split pe
Nathanial
Jan 18, 2008 Nathanial rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Laurel & Hardy
Shelves: horror
Here's the plot, you all know it: a man, by arcane means, becomes another man. Now, here's the argument of the book: suspense comes from not knowing what questions to ask, not merely ignorance of their answers. Stevenson makes this technical argument by means of POV placement, interior monologues, and placement in time. He doesn't start the book by showing you Dr. Jekyll as he concocts his transformative substance and then becomes Mr. Hyde, as I had assumed he would. Instead, he begins with a se ...more
mai ahmd
Dec 28, 2011 mai ahmd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
شاهدت العديد من الأفلام المستمدة من هذه الرواية الكلاسيكية الخالدة لكن قراءة الرواية شيء آخر تماما أكثر جمالا وأكثر متعة
ربما لأن أغلب الأفلام استخدمت الفكرة في أفلام رعب وبعضها بطريقة ساخرة
ربما لأنها لم تركز على المغزى الحقيقي من هذه الحكاية
الرواية جادة وصاحبها يود أن يرسل لنا رسالة هذه هي رواية الوحوش النائمة التي تسكن في البشر وتحتاج للخروج أحيانا
أليس في كل واحد منا يسكن دكتور جيكل ومستر هايد

مناخ الرواية غامض ومثير غريب وممتع

Liz Janet
May 03, 2016 Liz Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book basically screams: DO NOT TEST EXPERIMENTAL DRUGS ON YOURSELF OR YOU MIGHT JUST END UP WITH A SPLIT PERSONALITY FROM A DOCTOR WITH REPRESSIVE DEPRAVITIES URGES TO A PERVERTED MURDERER.

Honestly there is more to it, like the basic duality between a classicists society and the individual; but also the more simplified good versus evil, the civilized versus the uncivilized, the conscious and the unconscious, and a lot of other Freudian theories I cannot care less for.

Read it, knowing the pl
Lotte
This book was the start of my on-going love story with gothic fiction. Definitely one of my favorite classics in one of my favorite genres. I highly recommend this!
Shovelmonkey1
Jan 08, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the incredible hulk
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
Every so often a book is written where the story manages to escape from the leafy pages of it's bounden prison and set up an almost independent life of it's own. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is just such a book because, despite having never read the book I was, in my cocky biblio-brain, quite certain that I already knew the story and therefore the content of the actual book would hold no real surprises.

Surprise!

Or perhaps not, but either way my cocky biblio-brain has been put to sh
Antonio
Una lucha tan vieja como la historia, que se repite incontables veces dentro de nosotros, el deseo y la conciencia se debaten en competencia a ver quien obtiene una victoria, así sea momentánea. Que pasaría entonces si a través de una poción podríamos liberar a nuestros deseos, separar nuestras personalidades y cumplir todas nuestras tentaciones sin ninguna culpa para la conciencia, ¿seriamos libres o entraríamos en el libertinaje?

Creo que es prácticamente imposible no haber escuchado nunca de e
Mahdi
جناب رابرت لوییس استیونسن، ماجرای این کتاب رو در یک کابوس می بینه. ماجرای کسی که دو نفر شده، یک دانشمند معقول و مبادی آداب، و یک هیولای غیر قابل کنترل و نفرت انگیز. و دانشمند به رغم خواسته ی خودش، بیشتر و بیشتر معتاد به شخصیت شیطانی ش میشه.
بعد که از خواب بیدار میشه، شروع به نوشتن رمان میکنه. رمان رو که تموم میکنه، دوباره می خوندش و از نوشته ی خودش دلزده میشه و دست نوشته ها رو در آتش می اندازه.
مدتی بعد، پشیمون میشه و دوباره هر چی از رمان اصلی یادش مونده رو ظرف سه روز می نویسه و میشه این رمان حاضر
Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

After my personal literary debacle that was Frankenstein: Or The Modern Prometheus, I approached this classic with trepidation. However, it seemed like a good time of the year to try another "mankind vs. monster" kind of read, so I took the plunge.

I'm glad I did, as I really enjoyed this story of a man divided against himself. Even though Robert Louis Stevenson told the story almost entirely through a third party, and there was a limited number of pages (84 in this
Yani
Nov 03, 2015 Yani rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: todos
Relectura octubre 2015*

Sin dudas, uno de mis libros favoritos. Me encanta la forma en que se trata el tema de la doble (¿o múltiple?) naturaleza del ser humano y de las cosas que pueden llegar a hacerse para mantener a flote el lado por el cual uno es aceptado en la sociedad, pero sin renunciar al que más vergüenza da.

(*) Pequeña extensión de la reseña

[…] no hay que excluir que el hombre, en último análisis, pueda revelarse una mera asociación de sujetos distintos, incongruentes e indepen
Kimi
Aug 03, 2015 Kimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics

This book has officially made its way to my favorite classics of all time list. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Let’s discuss:

The characters:

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde were so well crafted!
Jekyll represents the “good” side of the mind and Hyde is the “evil” one. They are complete opposites (appearance, behavior, social class.) so you’d think they would absolutely loath each other but then Stevenson throws this idea that Jekyll doesn’t hate Hyde… Aghh that was GREAT!

My issues:

The twist of this story is a
Mara
Thanks to Jeffrey's recent DJ&MH review series (which includes Mary Reilly and Hyde in addition to the original), I realized that I had not, in fact, ever become acquainted with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as Robert Louis Stevenson wrote them. Actually, the closest I'd come was seeing Dr. Jekyll & Mrs. Hyde (a mid-90s movie adaptation that I cannot, in good conscience, recommend), at a friend's house in middle school — and, frankly, no case of two being one involving Sean Young cou ...more
Kinda
Jan 01, 2013 Kinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

ظن دكتور جيكل أنه باستخدامه مستر هايد سيكون له ملاذا" من المسؤولية
ومهربا" من الضوابط الأخلاقية وو سيلة لإرضاء شهواته ونزواته لتبقى صورته هو براقة بين الناس

" فلأهرب وحسب من باب المختبر, وامنحني ثانية أو ثانيتين لخلط الشراب وتجرعه... ومهما يكون ما فعله إدوارد هايد فسوف يختفي كالبقعة التي تتركها الأنفاس على سطح المرآة, وسوف تجد في مكانه رجلا" يجلس في هدوء في منزله, ويسهر الليل منكبا" على دراساته, ويملك أن يسخر من أي ريبة فيه أي هنري جيكل !"

ولكن مستر هايد الذي يتجرع المتعة بظمأ وحشي و يرخي قبضة ضم
History in Vogue: The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1 4 Apr 30, 2016 01:12PM
Classic Trash: * The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: Finished (Spoilers) 12 17 Mar 25, 2016 09:22AM
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1 30 Mar 13, 2016 08:49AM
  • The Canterville Ghost
  • A Thin Ghost and Others
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin
  • The Art of Fiction
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...

“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. ” 271 likes
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.” 216 likes