Start by marking “Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War” as Want to Read:
Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War

Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  21 reviews
There are few figures in literature as riveting as the precocious nine-year-old Magda Denes who narrates this story. Her stubborn self-command and irrepressible awareness of the absurd make her in her mother's eyes "impossibly sarcastic, bigmouthed, insolent, and far too smart" for her own good. When her family goes into hiding from the fascist Arrow-Cross, she is torn fro ...more
Published March 19th 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Castles Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castles Burning

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Best Books of 1997
109th out of 206 books — 109 voters
Castles Burning by Magda Denes
Best of Magda Denes
1st out of 1 book — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Kalliope

Dr. Magda Dénes, a Psychoanalyst and Psychotherapist practicing in NY, passed away suddenly at the end of 1996, aged 62. Her autobiographical Castles Burning was due to be published a couple of months later.

The book begins in 1939 in Budapest, as Magda’s father leaves for the US and abandons his family. They were a wealthy Jewish family of four. The narration advances fast onto March 1944 when the Nazis, who were already losing the war, occupied the city to prevent Hungary from changing sides. C
Nick
Magda Denes was a Jewish child in Hungary during World War II. These are reminiscences (as opposed to a diary) of hiding in abominable quarters, hunger, escape, the kindness and cruelty of strangers and acquaintances alike, and the loss of family members. When people encourage me to attend horror movies, I suggest they read this book instead: nothing I've ever seen in a film horrifies me as much as what these people and this child suffered.
Sharon Zink
This book leaped off the shelf at the library last Monday and yelled, "I'm next!" So happy for books to find me like that. This is the story of a Hungarian-Jewish girl who survives World War II, but not in a concentration camp. It is not a depressing story; it is funny in many places.
John
I found this book extremely moving and honest. The thing that really makes it stand out from other books set during the holocaust is that its such a vivid, at times even hilarious account of childhood. With the horrific and crazy events turning her family's life upside down we get a child's reaction to these events and her indignant, persistent desire to be treated like a human being and to evolve. One senses that the author avoids giving her account the tone of an adult recalling her childhood ...more
Margrit Belfi
Van Bas gekregen voor mijn verjaardag
Leuk boek
Geestelijk vroeg rijp kind
Veronique
An amazingly readable book about a very dark time in Europe's history. Denes recounts her life as a Jewish child in Budapest in the 1940s, from the days leading up to the war to the darkest moments in hiding. She somehow manages to make the book lighthearted at points, showing that even in times of war there is still humanity and love. A truly inspirational book with lots of passages I highlighted and plan to re-read for inspiration.
Edwina Hall Callan
World War 2 as seen thru the eyes of a child.
Riveting and heartbreaking.
Kimberley
It didn't interest me like I thought it would have.
Leslie
Oct 25, 2008 Leslie added it
I loved this book which I read to get some sense of Budapest as we were getting ready to travel there. It is a Holocaust Memorial but it is such a delightful and heartfelt perspective from a child grieving terrible losses that it made me wish the author would write a sequel.
Rex Cluff
Excellent book with a disappointing ending. Magda ends her story with her arrival in Cuba but that is far from the end of her troubles. Getting out of Cuba and into the U.S. would seem like a better ending but we don't know what happened after she arrived in Cuba.
Amy
A great literary adventure through the eyes of a precocious child, who likes to tell it like it is. I always have respect for any person who has that quality and Magda is no exception. A tale of heroism, survival, betrayal, and coping.
Geraldine
Wartime Hungary - an adult woman remembering her experiences as a child - and what a character she was as a girl - so clear eyed and sarcastic I had to smile even though her experiences were terrible.
Kerry Turner
The best, most descriptive and compelling book about a young child's life during Nazi occupation of Budapest, Hungary that I've ever read.
Allie vernasco
Feb 26, 2008 Allie vernasco rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great memoir of a young Hungarian Jewish girl during WWII. She tells of her heartache from missing her family during various separations.
John
Interesting narrative but not super informative. Less on detail than on emotion.
Kim
Interesting and moving account of a jewish childs life in WWII.
Ann Costello
Really enjoyed this. Fascinating childhood told well.
hillary
hungarian girl's experiences during WWII
Nicole
insightful, sad, and revealing.
Catherine
This is my favourite book of all time.
Rachel
An amazing story!
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Judith Tepe
Judith Tepe marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Julia Legian
Julia Legian marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
  • Scum of the Earth
  • The Life of Irene Nemirovsky: 1903-1942
  • The Story of a Life
  • Love Letters from Cell 92
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Dry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood
  • Warsaw
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book Two
  • An Exclusive Love: A Memoir
  • Europa, Europa
  • The Occupied Garden: Recovering the Story of a Family in the Wartorn Netherlands
  • I Kiss Your Hands Many Times: Hearts, Souls, and Wars in Hungary
  • Kindertransport
  • The Second Objective
  • The Boys: The Story of 732 Young Concentration Camp Survivors
  • Haven: The Dramatic Story of 1,000 World War II Refugees and How They Came to America
  • Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany
  • Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968