Start by marking “Levittown: Two Extraordinary Families, One Ruthless Tycoon, and the Fight for the American Dream” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  24 reviews

The dark side of the American dream: the true story of the first African-American family to move into the iconic suburb, Levittown, PA .

In the decade after World War II , one entrepreneurial family helped thousands of people buy into the American dream of owning a home. T he Levitts—William, Alfred, and their father, Abe—pooled their talents to create storybook towns wit
Published February 3rd 2009 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about Levittown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Levittown

Glenn
I'm surprised I did not know of this story. Two stories, really. On the one hand is the story of the Levitts, who applied the principles of mass production and model communities to provide homes for over a hundred thousand people at a time when there was a need for such housing after World War II. Very interesting story of their creative and practical innovations in building, and the amassment and later the loss of tremendous wealth and renown. On the other hand it is a well-told story of the in ...more
Michelle
The actual story of the book--the integration of Levittown, PA in the 1950s--was interesting, but the middle of the book was longer than it needed to be. Parts of it were repetitive, and it could've used better editing overall. Sadly, I wasn't too surprised at the reaction of the original Levittowners, or the fact that today it's still 97% white there. Though it was disturbing to learn that there was an small KKK faction at the time as well as several cross-burning incidents.
Hillary
I didn't know much of the history of Levittown, and how its heyday coincided with the civil rights movement. This book was pretty great. Minus a few points for typos, though. I hate that!
Jeanne
The explosion of suburban growth in the post-War II era was lead by the Levitts. The first Levittown in NY, was wildly successful. It filled a need for the returning vets so that they could start their families in a "safe" environment...as long as they were white. The builder, Levitt, required that his houses not be sold to blacks and the government backed him up on that. Shame.

Later, Levitt built another community called Levittown in PA. Pretty soon, a black family, a veteran's family, wanted t
Walter
David Kushner's Levittown is a fascinating and important story of a now almost forgotten and yet important era and episode in America's 20th century history. It relays the story of the Levitts, the most influential builders/developers of the post-WWII era, and of the underside of one of their more unfortunate policies.

The story of the suburbanization on America is both interesting and important and the Levitts, and especially number one son Bill, were at the center of this society-changing pheno
marcus miller
Great book that tells the story of the Levitt family, the growth of the American suburb, American racism, the Civil Rights movement, with a bit of 1950's McCarthyism thrown in for good measure.
This book tells an important part of the story of the 1950's, a decade described as the "decade of conformity." I think it is also seen as the golden age for those who espouse a return to traditional values (whatever those are?) This story exposes the often ugly side of the emphasis on conformity.
Kush
Libby
The title suggests something broader than what this book is: the story of integrating the Pennsylvania Levittown in the mid-1950s. But Kushner throws in a lot of other stuff - the Levitt family story, personal histories, and more details about the initial, Long Island, NY Levittown - than is necessary or even useful. And he only briefly mentions more interesting aspects of the racial integration - like the involvement of clergy and various organizing committees, the role of homemakers in the soc ...more
Colleen
A wonderful re-telling of the way two families worked together to support each other through the painful experience of desegregating one of the earliest suburban developments in the United States. Good resource for understanding the many small fights that were hugely significant in the overall battle for civil rights. Helps illuminate the many obstacles, large and small, that made home ownership for African Americans such a struggle. An inspiring story of ordinary families, just trying to live t ...more
Marti Guthrie
This is a very good book about a slice of American History that has gone unnoticed for too long. This book is essentially the root of why the Suburbs are mostly made up of White Middle class families. A father and two sons decide to build cookie-cutter homes for veterans returning from WWII to honor them. With a few exceptions. You couldn't be black, jewish, or communist. Yet the creators of this "Levittown" were Jewish. It's a strange and disturbing tale told beautifully by David Kushner. Thoug ...more
E
This should be required reading for anyone interested in the dark side of suburbia, or Long Island history (although it mostly focuses on Levittown, PA). Well-researched yet reads in an interesting narrative style. I knew Long Island, and many other parts of the North, had a racist history, but I hadn't realized just how bad it was. I stand in awe of what the Myers family endured, propped up only by a handful of sympathetic neighbors, and their own quiet strength and belief in what is right. Ins ...more
Michael
In the mid-1950s a black family tried to move to Levittown, Pennsylania, an all-white enclave that helped (along with two other Levittowns) create the prototype for post-War suburbia. This is a thrilling and appalling tale of a racial conflict but also has a lot to say about the rise and fall of the Levitts and their suburban idyll. For those of us who grew up hating suburbia, the book also explains much of the post-war phenomena of why our parents rushed to these greenfields.
Margaret Sankey
The Levitts (who were Jews), designed their suburban housing developments to be white and Anti-Semitic. So, when a family of Communist Jews sold a house to African-Americans, the company and its local police force stood back for two months in the summer of 1957 while the "perfect" neighborhood turned into a Confederate flag-waving, rock-throwing, cross-burning mob (with its own ice cream truck) until the state police belatedly intervened.
Riccol
I stumbled on this book in the "$2.99 or Less" list on my Nook (Barnes & Noble). The more I read the more embarrassed I felt for not having known a thing about this part of American history. Should be required reading for any class on modern American history or civil rights as it does a wonderful job of tying together the entire "mood" of the times it takes place in, something you miss learning just the facts in a class.
Patty
This was a very well-written, easy to read account of the civil rights struggles in this famous suburb. The author was able to really bring out the humanness of each of the people involved. It was fascinating to read about the civil rights struggle in a way that's not usually focused on- the struggle for blacks to buy decent housing in predominantly white neighborhoods. Very interesting.
John
This is a well-written, interesting book about civil rights, specifically in housing after WWII. Though I certainly knew about the rise of Levittown as a source of affordable housing, I wasn't aware of the racist policies of the Levitts. The book shows the courage of several families as they fought to integrate Levitttown, Pennsylvania, a very uplifting tale.
Lisa
This book is a great history of racial barriers to fair housing in the US in the 20th century. However, I feel that 2/3 of the way into the book, I'd read the story. No need to continue. I got it. So, did that mean it did not keep my attention, or does it mean that it should have been edited? Not sure.
I really liked this. I knew about Levittown and the houses "all made of ticky-tacky" but had no idea Levitt had an official whites-only policy. This book told the fascinating story of how some very brave families forced integration in the Pa. Levittown.
Curt
Once you get beyond the author's sledgehammer good guy vs bad guy language, a fascinating story. When it comes to nonfiction with a moral backdrop, I think I've been spoiled by Egger's pitch-perfect approach in Zeitoun.
Brian Saul
Amazing account of small-minded people of the big city in post WWII America. Not a scholarly account, some repetition of facts, but a fascinating "must read" for all I'd say.
Jeffrey
If this were fiction, one would think it's a far stretch...interesting and a disturbing slice of history. I only gave it two star, because it wasn't particularly well written.
Author G D  Grace
Become friends with, David Kushner on GoodReads in August.... decided to promote his book just because he's a fellow writer. His writings look extremely interesting.
Gary
This was a really good book. It has a lot of thick history but doesn't feel like it while you're reading
Ryan
A story that needs to be told.
Carolyn
An interesting read!
Sarah Cameron
Sarah Cameron marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Ciarra
Ciarra is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Steven Press
Steven Press marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
  • The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini
  • Freedom Riders: 1961 and the Struggle for Racial Justice (Pivotal Moments in American History (Oxford))
  • Coal River
  • Home Girl: Building a Dream House on a Lawless Block
  • Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West
  • Broke, USA: From Pawnshops to Poverty, Inc. - How the Working Poor Became Big Business
  • Heaven and Hell
  • Wild Child: Girlhoods in the Counterculture
  • Seafaring Women: Adventures of Pirate Queens, Female Stowaways & Sailors' Wives
  • Gimme Shelter
  • The New Deal: A Modern History
  • North American Indians
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • The Spinster And Her Enemies: Feminism And Sexuality 1880-1930
  • A Gathering of Saints: a True Story of Money, Murder, and Deceit
  • Odyssey of the Gods: The Alien History of Ancient Greece
  • Black Elk: The Sacred Ways of a Lakota
  • Mary Magdalene
David Kushner is an award-winning journalist and author. He is a contributing editor of Wired, Rolling Stone, and Spectrum and is an adjunct professor of journalism at New York University.
More about David Kushner...
Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto Jonny Magic and the Card Shark Kids: How a Gang of Geeks Beat the Odds and Stormed Las Vegas The Bones of Marianna Music Online For Dummies