Start by marking “God and Gold” as Want to Read:
God and Gold

God and Gold

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A stunningly insightful account of the global political and economic system, sustained first by Britain and now by America, that has created the modern world.

The key to the two countries' predominance, Mead argues, lies in the individualistic ideology inherent in the Anglo-American religion. Over the years Britain and America's liberal democratic system has been repeatedl
Published October 14th 2008 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about God and Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God and Gold

Szplug
Four-and-a-half-stars. Superbly written. Well-argued and diversely-referenced. Liberally spiced with wit. Considerably persuasive. Weaknesses, flaws, and omissions bark but do not bite. Authorial conjecture and induction provide a bevy of counter-intuitive and starkly clarifying insights. Lack of respect for Canada regrettable but, in the end, understandable. Confirms me in my Anglophilia and accentuates the aptitude of my being labelled as a Yank lover.

I had a few misgivings going into this, bu
Robert
God and Gold could be the primary, and only text, for a graduate seminar in global studies. It is a learned, complex, and yet accessible study of how "modernity" (sometimes referred to as "the west") was given birth by three successive maritime nations--Holland, the U.K, and the U.S.-- each adept in promoting prosperity through trade, innovations in finance (joint stock companies, stock markets, houses of exchange and corresponding banks) and sea-based geo-political supremacy.

In Mead's account H
Lauren Albert
I found the book's triumphalism more and more irritating though Mead interrupts it sometimes with modesty on "our" behalf. The problem is that there is a lot of truth here but oversimplified. Panglossian as one reviewer noted. I did like his section on terrorism where he points out that Islamic extremists are not bringing anything new into the world and he gives a list of earlier groups. I can't help thinking that if he'd toned down his panting enthusiasm, it would have been a better book.
Paul Miller
This book is mis-titled. It should be "Capitalism, World History, and the Meaning of Life." The scope, sweep, and ambition of this work is staggering. The final chapter is titled "The Meaning of It All." He really means "All."

Mead is ridiculously erudite. He quotes poetry alongside descriptions of early modern British history, gives short digressions on the history of technological progress, has a brief chapter in the invention of modern finance, and summarizes most world religions in an aside o
Robert Lobretto
Lengthy and informative prose. Loaded with heavy content. Thoroughly researched. This is a comprehensive study of the beginning, the development, the back-sliding, the maturity and utter domination of the liberal(economic) capitalist system. It will explain how the English speaking peoples of the world have developed the greatest most successful economic system the world has ever seen; and how this system has brought about the wealth of its participants and the envy and hatred of those left behi ...more
Dragos C.
Mead's monstrous tome on yesterday and today's maritime powers is everything a historical book should be: insightful, well documented, balanced and most of all entertaining. It is a powerful work that seeks to explore one of the greatest ascendancies of history, the rise of the Anglo-American maritime system hegemony and its foundations in Weberian theological asceticism and Smithian 'invisible hand' market society. While that might seem a bit dull it most assuredly is not. The book is written w ...more
Andrew Carr
Some books become greater than the sum of their parts. Others, like ‘God & Gold’ feel like the parts are still at war with each other. Which is perhaps ironic given Walter Russel Mead’s (WRM) central praise of the pluralistic and competitive nature of Anglo-American societies.

The book sets out to tell the story of the impact of Britain and America on the world as a joint project. Along the way there are some sparkling sections of insight and provocation. WRM is one of the best analysts of U
Sean Chick
There are two types of anglophiles. The fun ones and the bores. Fun ones watch Doctor Who, listen to the Kinks, and know about Britain's highs and lows. The bores talk about "special" English virtues. You can see them crying for the empire, arguing for "free" trade, and talking about how Britain was the only light of liberty in a world covered in darkness. Mead falls in the later camp.
Bethany
Walter Russell Mead is a genius, and this is a very brilliant and persuasive analysis of the similarities between American and British worldviews and how the two have come to dominate the modern world... I highly recommend this.
Dirk
Don't be fooled by the title, this book is truly a must read if you spend any time thinking about America's place in the world.

Dan
Mead essentially tries to recast the study of "The Rise of the West" as "The Rise of the Anglo-American maritime system." I think he's very persuasive in separating Britain and America from the rest of the "West." Although he doesn't mention it, I suspect that Mead was influenced a bit by Said's "Orientalism" model; Mead explicitly draws a distinction between the US and Britain and the rest of Europe, rather than grouping all "countries with white-majority populations" together. I find myself co ...more
Liam
"If empires of evil have much in common across the centuries, so too do alliances for good. America and its Cold War allies, like the Protestant allies of Cromwell's England, were fighting for more than their own -- perish the thought -- selfish interests. Their fight is the fight for good, right, and human rights everywhere." (23)

"The passion for simplicity and the belief that simple is forceful shapes Anglo-American life in many ways. Cutting to the chase, paring the fripperies and frills away
Jonard
People who read Walter Russell Mead’s work, God and Gold, doesn’t need one lengthy introduction from this review.

The encyclopedic book somewhat influenced my views on religion, among other things. Published in 2007, months before the ascent of a new US President and the so-called Great Financial Crisis, it offered what many popular works at the time simply did not bear: God.

The emphasis on behalf of the populace (the so-called American wasps) was nothing new, and neither an only-in-America phen
John
This is a history of the Anglo-Saxon "maritime order." Mead differentiates the Anglo-Saxon ascendancy from the rest of Europe (and the world) by their effective use of naval power to dominate global trade and foreign policy. This is a fascinating perspective on the world and how Britain and America have come to dominate, why they will continue to do so--even in the face of massive sovereign debt.

Mead's perspective as an historian gives him a great deal of optimism (as an Anglo-Saxon anyway) in A
Will James
A brilliant analysis of the last 300 years of history, placing the Dutch-Anglo-American maritime order at the heart of the international system. Mead gives the reader a really perceptive look at the dynamics of international relations by taking a step back, by assessing the twin motors of English-speaking society: dynamic religion and democratic capitalism. Whilst some chapters can get bogged down in arcane historical discussion - especially those on religion - 'God and God' is nevertheless a 'm ...more
Charles Melendez
Very biased towards the british empire.
Jim
Out of respect for the task that the author took on (how the US and Great Britain became formidable through religion and capitalism), I gave this book 3 stars.

The book begins well enough but when Mead begins to interject his own mystic views, even suggesting that President Carter's foreign policy should be a benchmark to cure current problems (citing Reinhold Niebuhr), I was lost.

I suspect students of international policy would find this much more engaging than the average reader interested in
Anna
I read this book because I enjoyed the author's Carnegie Council talk so much. (Available free on iTunes.) The talk was much better, really. I probably would have enjoyed the book more, but the triumphant chapter on the dynamism and creativity of the Anglosphere's financial system was a bad fit for October, 2008, when I read it.
Lazarus
A brilliant treatment of Anglo-American civilization, filled with fascinating insights and an impressive synthesis of political, historical, economic, religious and intellectual phenomena. A long-overdue exploration of the most important developments of the last three centuries, brilliantly executed.
I read this book for my meetup group - the new york history book club. It was a good choice for a book club in the sense of having a clear argument that can be argued. Unfortunately for me, I disagreed with the argument...
Craig
A little easier to read than "Special Providence" and quite interesting. You can take our current world order back to the Dutch, then the Brits, now us. Mead is an excellent writer and first-rate thinker.
Yvonne
So far, very interesting, even though rather simplistic. Certainly food for thought.
Sarah Cash
Fascinating account of the ascent of Britain in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Mike F
An examination of the success of the US and GB.
Dakin
Ulrich
Irgendwo gibt es noch gebildete Menschen. Hier wird erzählt, wie die Britten die Moderne erfunden haben. Faszinierend.
Forsyth County Pu...: Leadership Inspirations 3 14 Mar 17, 2015 07:23AM
  • From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776
  • Dangerous Nation: America's Place in the World from Its Earliest Days to the Dawn of the Twentieth Century
  • Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power
  • Arsenals of Folly: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race
  • The Boer War
  • The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street
  • The Faiths of the Founding Fathers
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • Crisis of the House Divided: An Interpretation of the Issues in the Lincoln-Douglas Debates
  • The Path to Tyranny
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Vietnam War
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • "What the Heck Are You Up To, Mr. President?": Jimmy Carter, America's "Malaise," and the Speech that Should Have Changed the Country
  • Tories
  • Endless War: Middle-Eastern Islam vs. Western Civilization
  • Why Government Is the Problem
Special Providence: American Foreign Policy and How It Changed the World Power, Terror, Peace, and War: America's Grand Strategy in a World at Risk Mortal Splendor: The American Empire in Transition بلد الله: الدين في السياسة الخارجية الامريكية The Low-Wage Challenge to Global Growth: The Labor Cost-Productivity Imbalance in Newly Industrialized Countries